Givi X01 helmet review.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Irishrover

Givi X01 helmet review.

Post by Irishrover »

Couldn't post this in the reviews section as I am not a moderator, doesn't make sense somehow.
So here it is for anyone looking for a new helmet.

I have had this helmet for over a year now and have ridden in all weathers with it. I bought it online and I normally wouldn't do this, but I couldn't find a dealer who stocks the various sizes to try it. If it didn't fit or I didn't like it, it was going on ebay. The size is a Medium 1 and the fit out the box was very comfy and light compared to my old Shoei helmet. It comes with two removable chin bars, one for summer use which gives you that enduro helmet look and the other for winter use giving a more full faced helmet look, it can also be ridden as open face jet style and looks the part in this guise, but we don't have great summers up here so it would be great for touring on the continent. With the chinbars fitted it passes the safety tests as if it were a full face helmet.
In full face helmet mode it is at its quietist, but I still like to wear ear plugs, the visor makes a nice seal when fully closed, but could do with micro adjustment setting for ventilation. It does fog up on a winters morning, but comes with an anti-fog spray that when applied carefully is as good as any fog city.
The summer chin bar that I have on at the moment gives an even wider field of vision and plenty natural ventilation, the downside being when cought out in the rain as the visor doesn't completely seal on the chin bar allowing drops of rain to enter at the top inner of the visor. It is fitted with an internal shade which works very well and looks cool also, you can also change the vents on top for summer use giving more air circulation around the head, again these are great until it rains, but you can carry the small tool provided and change them in seconds.
The chin closure is ratchet style and easy to operate with summer gloves on. The colour I went for is matt black with a kind of rubberised texture as the silver wasn't available at the time. I paid £200 for it and overall think it is a worthy piece of kit, you could say it is a 3 in 1 helmet, suitable for all weather types.

http://www.xzero1.com/indexp.html