buying a new battery

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

riancurtis

buying a new battery

Post by riancurtis »

Friends, I need to buy a new battery for my 08 Buddy. I apologize if this has been covered on the site already but searching the forum only brought up threads on battery tenders....I am wayyyy past that. Let the ole girl sit too long and the battery is finished. Still kick starts like a beauty.

Question:
Where can I get a battery for this thing? Is expensive Scooterworks my only option?
juice

Post by juice »

walmart $35.00 with trade in .
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

the only thing is that it has to be the same dimensions or it will be too tall for the cover to be put back on. The ytx7a battery that the buddy uses is short and stubby unlike most of the other batteries that are tall and slim.
Thadsgood

Post by Thadsgood »

Get a YTZ 10s battery, they are available online or at Battery Plus. THey have more power than the original battery. I love mine.
Lil Buddy

Post by Lil Buddy »

Get a battery with the highest amp hour rating you can find. 6AH is standard on the 125/150's, so anything above that is an upgrade. If its slightly to tall, refer to the link below:

topic14379.html
riancurtis

Post by riancurtis »

I am buying this battery for the new owner of my buddy and am a little worried about any sort of mod she would have to do.

I was looking at this:
http://www.scooterloungeonline.com/product/49-2267

but the YTZ10s sounds great. I am not seeing one anywhere when i search that seems specific for the buddy. i understand they are kind of universal but i just want one that truly fits

??
Thadsgood

Post by Thadsgood »

That's the beauty of the YTZ 10s battery, it's fits the space in the buddy just like the original one does without any modification necessary.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Thadsgood wrote:That's the beauty of the YTZ 10s battery, it's fits the space in the buddy just like the original one does without any modification necessary.
These seem pretty pricey. Do you have a source for reasonable $'s?
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Thadsgood

Post by Thadsgood »

I think I paid in the 70s for mine at Battery Plus, I have seen other knock offs at cheaper prices online (knock offs of the YUASA batteries that is), though you still have to pay for shipping. I thought 70 something was reasonable enough though I know the knock offs of the 7ABS's are much cheaper. Here's one I just found on the Batteries plus website, Xtreme Permaseal High Performance AGM Motorcycle, Powersport Battery - XTAZ10S.

This is a replacement for the YTZ10s it appears, I know I had the option to buy this "permaseal" version when I bought the
YTZ. It's listed at 79.99
riancurtis

Post by riancurtis »

i guess i just want to make sure that EITHER of these will fit without any modification...

http://www.batterymart.com/p-YTZ10S-BS- ... onShopping\

if both will fit without problem in your guys' opinions, then i will guy the better one.
Thadsgood

Post by Thadsgood »

They both will fit. The 7ABS is the original battery, the YTZ10s is an upgrade (in my opinion, more power etc.) Both will work without mods needed. To be sure of any battery fitting, just take the old one out and compare it to one you want to buy (if you got to a battery store/motorcycle shop etc). Good luck either way!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The Power-sonic PTZ10S is the same battery as the YTZ10S. It is available at Interstate Batteries and several other independent battery suppliers.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

Anytime you replace the battery, make sure you rejet the carb.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

ScooterDave wrote:Anytime you replace the battery, make sure you rejet the carb.
No, No scooterdave, you have to rejet the battery. You rejet the carb when you change the grips remember.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I think it is time to rejet ScooterDave.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Dooglas wrote:I think it is time to rejet ScooterDave.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :+!:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."