Cables; they're not just for breakfast anymore!

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

despurvoa

Cables; they're not just for breakfast anymore!

Post by despurvoa »

So, I assume a clutch cable is the "user end" of the whole twist-n-shift thingy that we enjoy so much about the Stella, BUT exactly what are gear cables?!
I sought to be proactive by ordering a set of cables for the PX/Stella, and I was amazed at all the cables in that bag!
I figured one was for the clutch, the other two must be for the right and front brakes, but what about the others? I've done as much research as one can do online and at Youtube, and I suppose the others are for the gears, so that raises the next question: What are gear cables?

On a tangent, I am taking a class this Fall in small engine rebuilding(2-stroke and 4-stroke). Being an illustration/ graphic design instructor, I look forward to stimulating the other half of my noggin!
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Most cable sets for vintage scoots include:
Front brake
Rear brake
Throttle
Choke (short on Vespas, long on Bajajs)
Clutch (much thicker cable)
Gears (2 cables - for up and down)

And yes, they look a mess in the bag. Seems like twenty in there, all coiled up and mad at ya!
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
despurvoa

Post by despurvoa »

Yes! Mad at me! Like snakes they are!!! :shock:
They're all curled up, waiting to strike if I even think about opening that bag!
Nothing like buying everything you think you're going to need and going, "Now what?!"
I sure wish they had a merit badge in Scouts for Scooter Repair! I actually think I would have tried to earn that one!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Uh… I'm just learning how much I don't know about these. :)

Hopefully, there will be a Stella 4T workshop manual. For the 2Ts there is a Haynes manual and, I think service manuals (at least Vespa ones for P series/PX).
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
despurvoa

Post by despurvoa »

I bought the Haynes thinking EVERYTHING would be answered. :rofl:
Guess again!
I was saying to my wife that it would be great if there was a manual that approached it from the person looking underneath the right cowling for the first time and going, "Boy! Is it busy under here!"
Cutaways are no good when you don't know what's being cut up!
I've eaten at strange, ethnic restaurants and a cutaway diagram wouldn't remove the fear I have that I may be visiting an emergency room 3 hours from now.
Aside from the Scooterville videos, there are some really good videos on Youtube for motorcycle repair and I've tried to make some correlation between our bikes and theirs, but it's pretty tough if you're ignorant about most things mechanical to begin with.
Ironically, some of the best are by the rednecks that look too loaded to actually get on their bikes, but somehow remain coherent enough to explain friction plates.
Go figure!