Elusive front Pegs

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PIStaker

Elusive front Pegs

Post by PIStaker »

Has anyone successfully pulled off front pegs on their Buddy. I've looked around and near as I can tell there is no stock "bolt on" solution.
Has anyone toyed with the idea of retrofitting something like this?
http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_page ... IGANO/1843
I'm thinking with a little persuasion, it could be made to work.
...and at the very least, a basis of which to design off of. (for all you crafty types out there) I'd buy a pair if someone could make them work.
Attachments
P Pegs 2.PNG
P Pegs 2.PNG (91.02 KiB) Viewed 2028 times
P Pegs.PNG
P Pegs.PNG (92.06 KiB) Viewed 2028 times
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

how much are you willing to spend? i can have a buddy fabricate something for you.
prrfan53

2-up pegs

Post by prrfan53 »

Go to <www.vespahartford.com>, CT and ask Doug about a Buddy-fitting peg assembly. I put one on my 150 with just 2 bolts (metric), 2 washers and 2 spacers. Even with my 11s, it's good!
PIStaker

Re: 2-up pegs

Post by PIStaker »

prrfan53 wrote:Go to <www.vespahartford.com>, CT and ask Doug about a Buddy-fitting peg assembly. I put one on my 150 with just 2 bolts (metric), 2 washers and 2 spacers. Even with my 11s, it's good!
Prrfan53,
Are they just to the sides of the floorboards, or are they out front a bit?
Ideally, I'm looking for something that will allow me to stretch my legs forward a bit, not just to the side.
Can you post a picture or two?
Thanks.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Re: 2-up pegs

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

monamibuddy wrote:
prrfan53 wrote:Go to <www.vespahartford.com>, CT and ask Doug about a Buddy-fitting peg assembly. I put one on my 150 with just 2 bolts (metric), 2 washers and 2 spacers. Even with my 11s, it's good!
Prrfan53,
Are they just to the sides of the floorboards, or are they out front a bit?
Ideally, I'm looking for something that will allow me to stretch my legs forward a bit, not just to the side.
Can you post a picture or two?
Thanks.
I'm on board as well. Next up, ape hanger handlebars!
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

A friend of mine has those P series pegs in the original post, he hates them. Of course they are for the passenger mainly... not sure how you could put them on a Buddy.
prrfan53

pegs

Post by prrfan53 »

Here's the pix. The attach points are the rear screws of the foot rests. Hope this helps! Paul

Did not see how to send pix in reply so here they are. P
Attachments
pegs2.jpg
pegs2.jpg (100.04 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
pegs1.jpg
pegs1.jpg (94.08 KiB) Viewed 1952 times
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

None of these are front footpegs guys. Are you looking for front ones or passenger ones?
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

I strapped a stick across the front. It's not elegant but it's comfy! :D
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
PIStaker

pegs

Post by PIStaker »

KRUSTYburger wrote:None of these are front footpegs guys. Are you looking for front ones or passenger ones?
Krusty,
I was thinking more highway pegs, not passenger pegs.
Mike
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

This discussion happened a year ago or so... and nothing came of that either... other than people suggesting the passenger pegs (which is NOT was I was asking for then either)...
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

yeah, some of us looked at it but you'd have to cut away some of the plastic just to get to the frame up front so you could mount something then if you ended up not liking it you'd have to get new plastics. Ended up being way more trouble than at least I wanted to get into.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The difficulty with highway pegs (as far as I can tell) will be finding a good place to bolt them where they can support pressure/weight and not screw up the plastic. The optimum place would be somewhere the body panels are screwed into the frame. Otherwise, I think you might have to make cutouts in the panels.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
PIStaker

Pegs

Post by PIStaker »

ericalm wrote:The difficulty with highway pegs (as far as I can tell) will be finding a good place to bolt them where they can support pressure/weight and not screw up the plastic. The optimum place would be somewhere the body panels are screwed into the frame. Otherwise, I think you might have to make cutouts in the panels.
I was thinking about making a template across the face of the front panel (facing the rider) under where the storage compartment is.
As you said, the trick would be figuring out what to mount it to.
But in my example, at least the pressure would be dispersed across the face of the panel, and not just at 2 points.
As far as cutting into the side panels; don't really care all that much. Just sounds like another project for the Dremel.
I'd like it if it were aesthetically pleasing, but I am going more for function than form on this project.
At any rate, it sounds like a cool project to flex my creative muscles.
Will let you know what I come up with.
jasondavis48108

Re: Pegs

monamibuddy wrote:
ericalm wrote:The difficulty with highway pegs (as far as I can tell) will be finding a good place to bolt them where they can support pressure/weight and not screw up the plastic. The optimum place would be somewhere the body panels are screwed into the frame. Otherwise, I think you might have to make cutouts in the panels.
I was thinking about making a template across the face of the front panel (facing the rider) under where the storage compartment is.
As you said, the trick would be figuring out what to mount it to.
But in my example, at least the pressure would be dispersed across the face of the panel, and not just at 2 points.
As far as cutting into the side panels; don't really care all that much. Just sounds like another project for the Dremel.
I'd like it if it were aesthetically pleasing, but I am going more for function than form on this project.
At any rate, it sounds like a cool project to flex my creative muscles.
Will let you know what I come up with.
If you don't care about cutting the plastics then you should be able to attach some highway pegs to the frame. Might take a bit of modification but shouldn't be too difficult. Not sure how it would look though.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Byrdman

Post by Byrdman »

What about using the four frame bolts that are under the rubber floormat?

One could build some vertical pipes and then head forward to support pegs. Then all you would have to do is cut four holes in the relatively cheap rubber floormat.
jcbud

Post by jcbud »

Any riding position pics?
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Could you attach some kind of fiberglass mold to the the existing panel? I don't enough about it to know if you can retrofit more fiberglass to an existing object.

howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Howardr wrote:Could you attach some kind of fiberglass mold to the the existing panel? I don't enough about it to know if you can retrofit more fiberglass to an existing object.

howard
It would still have to be anchored into the frame.

Of course, if you could do that, you could design a fiberglass replacement panel with pegs…
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
buddy boy

Post by buddy boy »

I attached my pegs to the extra chrome that I added. The chrome is attached at the bottom to a support that is u-bolted to the underside of the frame. At the top, it is connected together and held by the top bolt that anchors the front luggage rack. The square stock that connects the pegs to the chrome piece is from Home Depot, and the pegs are from Drag Specialties. The chrome pieces are cowl protectors culled from an old parts bin at the local dealership, manufacturer unknown.

If you are interested, they can be seen here:

http://sites.google.com/site/buddyboysc ... e/pictures

Not a great custom finish to them, but it is a lot of fun using them.
buddy boy

Post by buddy boy »

Forgot to add that the last four pictures are specific to the foot pegs, but the other pictures show them, too.
jasondavis48108

buddy boy that is one slick custom set up you got there.
buddy boy

Post by buddy boy »

Thanks. It was a long cold winter in Virginia this past year.
buddy boy

Post by buddy boy »

Sorry. Didn't finish that thought. It was a long cold winter in Virginia this past year, so I had plenty of time to add chrome to the scooter.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

buddy boy wrote:Thanks. It was a long cold winter in Virginia this past year.
The snow was the worst part of it all. The cold was a pain for my virgin year, but my buddy being buried for nearly 2 weeks was the worst part.
Attachments
buddy.JPG
buddy.JPG (48.43 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
jasondavis48108

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
buddy boy wrote:Thanks. It was a long cold winter in Virginia this past year.
The snow was the worst part of it all. The cold was a pain for my virgin year, but my buddy being buried for nearly 2 weeks was the worst part.
:shock: you sir need a tarp :lol:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

buddy boy wrote:I attached my pegs to the extra chrome that I added. The chrome is attached at the bottom to a support that is u-bolted to the underside of the frame. At the top, it is connected together and held by the top bolt that anchors the front luggage rack. The square stock that connects the pegs to the chrome piece is from Home Depot, and the pegs are from Drag Specialties. The chrome pieces are cowl protectors culled from an old parts bin at the local dealership, manufacturer unknown.

If you are interested, they can be seen here:

http://sites.google.com/site/buddyboysc ... e/pictures

Not a great custom finish to them, but it is a lot of fun using them.
That's one of the sickest, craziest custom jobs I've seen on a Buddy! Would love to see more pics of the lights in action. Great job!
rv-rick

Post by rv-rick »

FWIW: There is a fellow over on the Zuma forum who makes highway pegs for the Zuma 125. Maybe get some ideas looking at his setup.
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

Buddy Boy is on to something here. We just need to come up with a simpler support that bolts to the frame underneath, and uses the holes for the front rack... This is possible. My knees would be so happy!!
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

rv-rick wrote:FWIW: There is a fellow over on the Zuma forum who makes highway pegs for the Zuma 125. Maybe get some ideas looking at his setup.
Have a link?
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

monamibuddy,

Resurrecting this thread from a while back, but there's always an interest...

Did you ever come up with something? I found this on the Zuma forum. I wonder if something like this could be made to work...?
Attachments
Zuma pegs.jpg
Zuma pegs.jpg (174.06 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

Noisymilk on adv rider did a trip last year on a buddy with a stupid simple solution to this. Looks pretty perfect, the only thing i'd change is maybe having the foot rests on these be removable.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... 259&page=3
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I've been trying to use the search tool (it's such a tool!) to find a thread that I know exists on MB.
The driver pegs/highway peg issue has come up numerous times here.
There were two very good attempts at fabrication but I can't find either of them. In the end, the cost was prohibitive.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

This was the best design anyone has come up with. Maybe you could find someone who would fabricate these for you.
topic19457.html
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

pdxrita wrote:This was the best design anyone has come up with. Maybe you could find someone who would fabricate these for you.
topic19457.html
Yup. That was the one. Just need them to be foldaway.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

pdxrita wrote:This was the best design anyone has come up with. Maybe you could find someone who would fabricate these for you.
topic19457.html
Thanks pdxrita--I had been looking for that post.

That absolutely is the best attempt I have seen so far, but my issues with it are: 1. pegs don't fold, 2. looks like you need to remove it to access your battery, 3. the entire setup just stands out more than I'd like (I'm looking for a more subtle solution), and 4. One of my bikes already has the back pegs and cowls, so there might not be the extra real estate in the rear footpeg area to connect there as needed for this solution.
BeefSupreme wrote:Noisymilk on adv rider did a trip last year on a buddy with a stupid simple solution to this. Looks pretty perfect, the only thing i'd change is maybe having the foot rests on these be removable.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... 259&page=3
Actually, this solution may have possibilities. Will look at it some more and report back if anything develops. :)

Thanks for the feedback!