A Very Minor Victory

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

despurvoa

A Very Minor Victory

Post by despurvoa »

Some of you may know that I sadly laid down my Stella a week after I got her because of my "Newbieness" with the foot break and a patch of gravel.
I was happy that I was able to have the fender repainted and right cowl repainted so that there is little evidence of my stupidity.
I say "little" because my leg shield trim was gouged, pitted, scratched and looked terribly blemished.
I purchased some chrome protectors, but couldn't even get them without running the risk of scratching things on the actual leg shield. I thought black rubber might be the key, but for me, it just didn't look right.
I can't leave well enough alone, so I took a small metal jewelry file I had from my metals class, steel wool, and rubbing compound.
After a couple of hours, voila!

Granted, it's not perfect, and there are some minor denting that can't be remedied, but I'm pleased.
At least I know how to deal with a scratch in the future, and if this post helps anyone with this same issue, then I'll feel good about that
Attachments
P7292518-lores.jpg
P7292518-lores.jpg (138.18 KiB) Viewed 656 times
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Nice job!

A dremmel tool works well too for taking scratches out of trim...but you know....if you don't have any scratches yo're not riding enough!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BuddyRaton wrote:A dremmel tool works well too for taking scratches out of trim...but you know....if you don't have any scratches yo're not riding enough!
Which attachment?

Um… I get myself into trouble with the dang Dremel.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

I like the scratches on my scoot. The first time I put it down (actually, the first time a friend put it down) I took the time to patch and repair. But henceforth it's been stickers and scratches :)
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

[quote="ericalm]Which attachment?
Um… I get myself into trouble with the dang Dremel.[/quote]

Use the polishing pads. I like the ones shaped like a bullet. Load it up with a little polishing rouge and don't press too hard. A flex shaft attachment makes control much easier.

Using a dremmel takes practice...on stuff that isnt too important.

Thirteen years ago I gave Diva Bocette a diamone engangement ring...she gave me a dremmel set...we both cried! :mrgreen:
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

JoshWED wrote:I like the scratches on my scoot. The first time I put it down (actually, the first time a friend put it down) I took the time to patch and repair. But henceforth it's been stickers and scratches :)
:+!:
www.teamscootertrash.com