To paint or not to paint?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

glamourgirrrl

To paint or not to paint?

Post by glamourgirrrl »

I have a black Stella that I got for a killer deal. I really want a pink one, and I'm wondering if I should paint mine or just buy a pink one. There is a pink one near me, but it has more miles and she wants $2500 for it. What to do?
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I'd take it to a shop and have some sort of totaly awesome killer pink paint job done. You could get one heck of a paint job for less than $2500 I would guess and if you don't ride your scooters enough then the carb gets all screwed up. If you ride a lot and have a garage though it may be nice to have two stellas so when one isn't running you always have the other.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

Order up some nice pink rally stripes. They'd look good on a black Stella.
Clearly.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

If you're paying $2500* to paint the black one, you're adding $2500 to the cost of your bike (and taking it off the road for what could be months, and hoping they put it back together right.

I'd buy the pink one and sell the black one, especially if you think you could get a couple grand for it at least, you're pretty much breaking even with WAY less hassle.

Bb

*That's maybe a little high, but not an entirely unrealistic estimate of how much it'd cost to get a well-done paint job, plus the cost of disassembly, prep, and reassembly.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

More than anything I'm wondering if having an "original" Pink Stella is worth more than a painted pink (black ) Stella. On top of the cost of the pink one, I'd then have to haul it from Tucson to Phoenix. Gas gauge is broken on the Pink and not sure if there's other damage. Gonna take a look tonight.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

well I'm all about custom paint jobs. I told the dealership where I got my SH150 from that I didn't really care what color the scooter was cause I want to get that custom painted. I love the way the my Buddy looks now but am also thinking of a custom paint job on it as well. I just really like the idea that once you've had it custom painted, no one else has a scooter that looks like yours. I do agree with Illnoise though, if all you want is a pink Stella, selling the black one and buying the pink one makes way more financial sense.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

illnoise wrote:If you're paying $2500* to paint the black one, you're adding $2500 to the cost of your bike (and taking it off the road for what could be months, and hoping they put it back together right.

I'd buy the pink one and sell the black one, especially if you think you could get a couple grand for it at least, you're pretty much breaking even with WAY less hassle.

Bb

*That's maybe a little high, but not an entirely unrealistic estimate of how much it'd cost to get a well-done paint job, plus the cost of disassembly, prep, and reassembly.

I think your price estimate is pretty fair. There arent many shops that even want to paint a scooter. Figure a good paint job is $1,000 to $1,500.

Dissassemble, including pulling the motor, pull the tank, dropping the fork, removing or masking trim, prep...prep...prep... reassembly, adjusting cables and carb. There is going to be a bunch of labor time.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

glamourgirrrl wrote:More than anything I'm wondering if having an "original" Pink Stella is worth more than a painted pink (black ) Stella. On top of the cost of the pink one, I'd then have to haul it from Tucson to Phoenix. Gas gauge is broken on the Pink and not sure if there's other damage. Gonna take a look tonight.
I don't think that Stellas have hit the "collectable" mark yet...and will not for quite some time.

Even the "Atomic Fireball" versions don't bring much extra coin.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

There's a pink Stella in Tulsa for $1900, not many miles iirc and I'd be willing to bet you could talk her off that a bit. Even with the cost to get here and back you'd still come out ahead. And if you had a black and a pink Stella, you could swap cowls and horncasts for two super-sexy rides ;)
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

illnoise wrote:If you're paying $2500* to paint the black one, you're adding $2500 to the cost of your bike (and taking it off the road for what could be months, and hoping they put it back together right.

Bb

Unless you have a really custom paint job in mind (as opposed to just painting it pink), I think I'm inclined to agree with Bryan here.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Why not paint it partially pink. I've always dug the pink and black look.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

Price of paint is crazy high! I like the idea of the Tulsa scooter. I tried to PM you and it won't go through. Do you know the girl that's selling it? I sent her an email.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

lmyers wrote:There's a pink Stella in Tulsa for $1900, not many miles iirc and I'd be willing to bet you could talk her off that a bit. Even with the cost to get here and back you'd still come out ahead. And if you had a black and a pink Stella, you could swap cowls and horncasts for two super-sexy rides ;)
+1 that'd be sweet. I want to see it- someone please do this or photoshop it.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

Ok I did the ultimate in crazy... I bought a Pink Stella from idaho. The universe aligned and it worked out that the Stella was super cheap, and I was able to arrange shipment waaaay cheap. The scooter should be here by Wednesday. Now I have the black Stella and the green Buddy 50 for sale. But I think i want to keep the black Stella. I'm at max capacity for scooters!!!
dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

Just kick me down the 50 and save your self some space.

Aint no city like generosity

Aint no nation like a donation

get down with a kick down!
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

How'd I know you'd be first to comment?... Shoot me an email maybe we can work something out. My parents have already said they're going to charge me scooter rent! LOL. Seriously, I'm thinking professional help might be cheaper...
dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

El mansaje es bueno.
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

You know you NEED both Stellas, right?
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

dawg onit wrote:Just kick me down the 50 and save your self some space.

Aint no city like generosity

Aint no nation like a donation

get down with a kick down!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Aww man Dawg you just brought back some memories, why dontcha throw in a "I need a miracle", it seems fitting.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

Yamon! Now you are speaking the language.
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

I do feel like I NEED both Stella's. It's no fun to ride on your own, and my dad and my boyfriend look much cooler on the black one than my Pink Buddy LOL!!! Maybe the Green goes and I'm back to three scooters. 3 seems reasonable.... I can't wait to see my "new" Pink Stella...
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Have you ever thought about a nice investment property? Or maybe a nice roth ira?

Just playing. have fun with the his and hers stellas.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

It's heeeeereee!!!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Get pink pin striping and racing stripes. Pink always matches black.