New Scooter...er..(I think) On The Market

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

brape wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:awesome, I teach math at a local community college but I'm certified to teach math and art at the secondary level here in Michigan. Teaching is a blast and well worth all of the BS hoops they make you jump through in Ed School :lol:
I'm going to be certified in secondary math too. My BS is in broadcasting... useless degree if you ever want to make enough money to retire.
Most excellent! I never thought I'd say this when I was yonger, but math really is quite beautiful and there is always more to learn so your never bored :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
joeybee

Post by joeybee »

Guys:

The California Scooters operate just like a conventional motorcycle (LH clutch, LH front brake, left foot shifter, right foot rear brake).

The bear on a bicycle look hasn't really been an issue; take a look at our latest blog (which shows a few bears riding these bikes, me being one of them). When you ride it, it feels as if you are on a full-size motorcycle. The blog is at www.CaliforniaScooterCo.com/blog/. We rode the bikes to the Rock Store and Neptune's Net this weekend, and it was a hoot.

Joe

pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

You make me want one.

I wish they were available a few months earlier. I just bought my wife a new bike. :( I would have given her mine instead. :D
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

well i am completely new to the world of scooters, but in my mind a scooter is something with an automatic transmission, the engine at the rear of the bike, and a floorboard to put your feet down in front of you. so i would consider these motorcycles. the fact they are small and calling them scooters is kind of cute, but that's about it

i know some purist and those more knowledgeable then i about the subject will point out the Stella and older Vespa's have manual shifts, and that is fine. but one of the reasons i am attracted to scooters is they are different from most motorcycles for there CVT's. and of course the design characteristics i mentioned above

i see these "scooters" and think motorcycle. i am pretty sure that's what they are :?:
jasondavis48108

JHScoot wrote:well i am completely new to the world of scooters, but in my mind a scooter is something with an automatic transmission, the engine at the rear of the bike, and a floorboard to put your feet down in front of you. so i would consider these motorcycles. the fact they are small and calling them scooters is kind of cute, but that's about it

i know some purist and those more knowledgeable then i about the subject will point out the Stella and older Vespa's have manual shifts, and that is fine. but one of the reasons i am attracted to scooters is they are different from most motorcycles for there CVT's. and of course the design characteristics i mentioned above

i see these "scooters" and think motorcycle. i am pretty sure that's what they are :?:
yeah, I have a friend who refers to his Harley ultra guide as his scooter. there is also an old term for a motorcyclist "scooter tramp" so I think the term with reference to motorcycles has been around for quite some time. Still, I agree, these are motorbikes. They are, however, kick arse motorbikes :D
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
joeybee

Post by joeybee »

Here's an article that appeared on our scooter design competition...

http://www.sgvtribune.com/ci_15552561

More information is available on the blog at www.CaliforniaScooterCo.com/blog/
jasondavis48108

very cool article, it will be interesting to see what the final product of all this "young talent" looks like. It's also nice to know that there is still "young talent" in this country and that companies are still trying to tap into it. You here so much about how for years the USA was the brain drain of the world but often now the trend has reversed and other countries corportaions are snagging our best and brightest.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

How did I miss this thread? :)

These bikes are pretty neat and they're quite well-made from what I can tell. I've yet to ride one but know a some experienced riders who took the test bike NoHo had out for a spin: According to them, it's a fun little thumper.

If I'm not mistaken, the CSCs are assembled in the US from mostly Taiwanese components. Production numbers are fairly low.

So, yes, they're on the pricey side for something this size. I don't think its appeal is necessarily the same as a fun-yet-practical every day commuter scoot like the Buddy. I'll be very interested to see how they sell—and who they sell to—over time.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TVB

Post by TVB »

jasondavis48108 wrote:It's also nice to know that there is still "young talent" in this country and that companies are still trying to tap into it.
I can assure you that the art-and-design school I went to (and used to work for) is brimming with "young talent".
joeybee

Post by joeybee »

ericalm wrote:How did I miss this thread? :) These bikes are pretty neat and they're quite well-made from what I can tell. I've yet to ride one but know a some experienced riders who took the test bike NoHo had out for a spin: According to them, it's a fun little thumper.
Joe from California Scooter here. If you (or anyone else, for that matter) would like to ride our bikes, please give me a yell (909 204 9984) and I'll get you a factory tour and a ride. We'd be happy to put you on a bike and take you up in the San Gabriel Mountains along Glendora Ridge Road (you can see one of our GRR rides at http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=806; poke around on the blog and you'll see more).

BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

joeybee wrote:Joe from California Scooter here. If you (or anyone else, for that matter) would like to ride our bikes, please give me a yell (909 204 9984) and I'll get you a factory tour and a ride. We'd be happy to put you on a bike and take you up in the San Gabriel Mountains along Glendora Ridge Road (you can see one of our GRR rides at http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=806; poke around on the blog and you'll see more).
My wife and I may be in Los Angeles in a few weeks on business, can we rent them for the day and take a cruise up Angel Crest Hwy?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
joeybee wrote:Joe from California Scooter here. If you (or anyone else, for that matter) would like to ride our bikes, please give me a yell (909 204 9984) and I'll get you a factory tour and a ride. We'd be happy to put you on a bike and take you up in the San Gabriel Mountains along Glendora Ridge Road (you can see one of our GRR rides at http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=806; poke around on the blog and you'll see more).
My wife and I may be in Los Angeles in a few weeks on business, can we rent them for the day and take a cruise up Angel Crest Hwy?
If you want to rent some scoots and do a ride up there, let me know!

NoHo Scooters does daily rentals, but I don't think they're renting their CSCs. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
joeybee

Post by joeybee »

ericalm wrote:
BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
If you want to rent some scoots and do a ride up there, let me know!

NoHo Scooters does daily rentals, but I don't think they're renting their CSCs. :)
Guys, I'd love to be able to help you, but we don't rent our scooters...we're not set up to do that and all of the bikes coming off the line are destined for our dealers. We have a few demo bikes, though, and the offer I made earlier about a factory tour and a local ride from our plant still stands. We don't want to compete with anyone renting scooters (especially our dealers, like Mike Frankovich's outstanding NoHo Scooters dealership).

The Angeles Crest Highway is one of the premier rides in So Cal, and if you rent scooters for a ride up there you will have a great time. That road is heavily patrolled, so watch your speed. And watch out for the squids drifting across the center line; I've seen a few bad accidents on the Crest caused by dweebs who let things get away from them.

Motorcycle Classics ran an article on this ride a couple of years ago and the link for it is here: http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/touri ... ge-ca.aspx

Joe

willowsdad

Scooters/motorcycles

Post by willowsdad »

My dear old Gramps had a 1937 Indian Scout, navy blue, the he referred to as a scooter. Same bike I learned to ride on in 1968.

A friend in town has a 1200 Goldwing that he speaks of as his scooter as well, while I describe my Buddy Deux as "bikes".

An old Uncle describes scooters as "anything 150cc or less".

Potatoe, potato. They're all fun to ride. (and I sure like 200 lbs of "bike" a lot better than 900 lbs of "scooter")
joeybee

Sidecar CSC

Post by joeybee »

That's Doug Bingham (aka Mr. Sidecar) in the sidecar...

jasondavis48108

looks pretty cool but can someone actually fit in the sidecar or is he just a really big guy :)
joeybee

Post by joeybee »

He is a big guy, and it is tight. We are going to do a different body. We bought this one for the gear underneath it.