Buddy 125 vs. Kymco People 150?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

SirLexelot

Buddy 125 vs. Kymco People 150?

Post by SirLexelot »

Hi all,

so my local dealer sells Kymco and currently has a few People 150's. Out the door they're around $3700. I used to have a People 50 and thought it was great, just too slow.

Now he's getting a shipment of Buddy 125's next week! I can't wait! But now I'm torn. Which bike should I get? The Buddy will probably be about $2825 out the door, which is a substantial savings over the People 150.

So I'm wondering, has anyone here had extensive experience with both bikes? Could someone please comment on how they compare in terms of:

- speed (both acceleration and top speed)
- hill-climbing ability
- reliability
- comfort (for 1 or 2 riders)
- mileage

And any other comparative points you can think of that are relevant. I appreciate any and all insight, as I plan to pick up a bike next week so that I can enjoy what's left of the summer.

Thanks everyone!
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

Hey, welcome to Modern Buddy.

Now, I don't have extensive experience with either scooter. I own a Buddy 125 and considered the Kymco People 150 as well. My dealer primarily sells the Kymcos because they are great, reliable scooters. From what my dealer tells me, the Kymcos are faster and have years of fantastic reliability ratings etc. I think the finish of them is far superior to that of the Buddy. The 16" wheels is a definate plus as well if you ride long distances or over rougher roads etc. They are very thoughtfully designed and I believe Kymco offers interest free financing at times. A lot of pluses to the Kymco products. Why did I buy the Buddy? Kymco scooters are larger and I couldn't put my feet flat on the ground... in fact, I could barely tip toe... unsettling for a new rider. Price. $1000 difference is huge to me. I was paying cash so not interested in the finance deal. For the money, you 're hard pressed to buy anything better than the Buddy. With money no object, I would have looked more seriously at the Kymco 150 or the Vespas. Then again, the Buddy fits like a glove. I love mine! I say, ride 'em both. Fall in love with one... buy that... be happy!

Good luck with your scooter shopping! :D
Laura
Keys

Post by Keys »

I have test-ridden both. The Kymco has possibly a little more power, though not enough to push the Buddy out of the running. The fit and finish is excellent. However, I found the People 150 to be too uncomfortable to me. My feet were forced into one position and the seat was too high and hard to be pleasant. Of course, this is just the opinion of one old curmudgeon.

I tested the Buddy this Saturday, rather extensively. The acceleration was very good and the power seemed to be very minimally less than the People 150. There are those who claim to have beaten a Kymco People 150 in a race while riding a Buddy. I can't verify that. The Buddy, to me, was WAY more comfortable. Lower seat, by about 2 inches, and a very pleasant seat to handlebar reach. It handles well...very stable and has more storage space. Throw in the lower price and a 1 year roadside assistance, and the Buddy appears to be the winner in my mind.

Also, when I get a scooter, it's because I want a scooter...NOT a motorcycle (of which I've owned over 60 in the last 35 years). To me, small wheels say "scooter". Larger wheels say "something else". I prefer smaller diameter wheels for the handling, and yes, I think they look better on a scooter, but this is again, just my opinion.

Enjoy whatever you get,
Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Keys wrote:I have test-ridden both. The Kymco has possibly a little more power, though not enough to push the Buddy out of the running. The fit and finish is excellent. However, I found the People 150 to be too uncomfortable to me. My feet were forced into one position and the seat was too high and hard to be pleasant. Of course, this is just the opinion of one old curmudgeon.
The Kymco has a lump in the seat pan to designed to make room for (I think) the fuel tap. Anyway, that lump makes the Peep 150 uncomfortable on a long ride. And that is the one and only complaint I've ever heard about the Peep.
Keys wrote:The Buddy, to me, was WAY more comfortable. Lower seat, by about 2 inches, and a very pleasant seat to handlebar reach. It handles well...very stable and has more storage space. Throw in the lower price and a 1 year roadside assistance, and the Buddy appears to be the winner in my mind.
Agree. And at the price you were quoted, the Peep is not much of a bargain. The Buddy would be my choice, too.
ellen

Post by ellen »

I've ridden a Buddy for a few hundred miles, and a People 150 for a few thousand miles. But based on my observations:

- speed (both acceleration and top speed)
The People will be faster off the line. However, the top end speed is very similar.

- hill-climbing ability
No noticeable difference.

- reliability
The People has been around for a few years. And has proven to be very reliable and no parts support issues. The Buddy reliability is unknown as it is a new model in the US.

- comfort (for 1 or 2 riders)
I feel kind of cramped on the Buddy. To me the People feels larger and is more comfortable to ride. Though foot room on both is lacking. Saddles are very similar. Probably come from the same distributor. Both firm and comfortable. But after a 2 hours will get very hot and uncomfortable. For one up riding, if you are comfortable riding it, I would go with the Buddy. If you are going to have a passenger, you have to go with the People.

- mileage
Don't have exact figures. But seem to be very similar.
booleanman

Post by booleanman »

Maybe this isn't relevant, but I looked at the People 150, People 250, Bet and Win 150, and the Bet and Win 250 and I thought they were all ugly as sin. Also, they are significantly larger than the buddy, which may figure into where you want to park the scooter. Other than that they all look like fine bikes.
- bool
morgantj

Post by morgantj »

Keys wrote:Also, when I get a scooter, it's because I want a scooter...NOT a motorcycle (of which I've owned over 60 in the last 35 years). To me, small wheels say "scooter". Larger wheels say "something else". I prefer smaller diameter wheels for the handling, and yes, I think they look better on a scooter, but this is again, just my opinion.

Enjoy whatever you get,
Keys 8)
I agree, I want my scooter to look like a scooter, not a motorcycle wannabe.
jess

Post by jess »

I think the Buddy handles better than the People 150, with what seems like a lower center of gravity. The People felt (again, to me) top heavy, although I've only test-ridden the People 150.
Javarod

Post by Javarod »

I think the important comparison will be coming soon, the Agility 125 vs the Buddy 125, the A125 is supposed to come in at $2000
Javarod
G! Buckleshoe
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

Ewww I just looked up the Agility 125 and I dont like the look of it at all. Glad I bought my buddy.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

I saw the Agility at a dealer the other day. I agree. I think it is uglee! It maybe a better comparison for price. I think the Buddy falls between the two scooters as far as finish and styling. The Buddy has a good place in the market right now. Lucky for us.
Laura
rajron

Post by rajron »

My wife has a People 150 and I have a Buddy 125.
She can at will out accelerate me and she climbs hills better than I with her scoot our top speeds and cruising speeds are about the same but over all the 25cc’s is noticeably stronger. The People feels sturdier, plush and the instrumentation is more sophisticated.
We both think the Buddy looks better and sounds better the People and the Buddy is more nimble and it costs nearly $700 dollars less.
Interestingly the People, in our case, gets nearly 20 mpg better than the Buddy.
That said; if we were to do it all over again we would both get a Buddy mainly because of the better handling and nimbleness of the Buddy.
Javarod

Post by Javarod »

Blackeyes24 wrote:Ewww I just looked up the Agility 125 and I dont like the look of it at all. Glad I bought my buddy.
Nods, "The price makes me want it, but the looks from the pics make me go 'ummmm...' When my dealer gets them in, I'll give it a look and see. I'd say I'm deciding between three models, the A125, the Buddy 125 and a used 150 my dealer has, an off brand for a really good price and a known history."
Javarod
G! Buckleshoe
Keys

Post by Keys »

Well, Javarod...I know I've seen you somewhere before... anyway, I tried as I might to be able to afford the extra $400 to get a Buddy and just can't manage it. Looks like I'll be getting an Agility 125. I'm getting it from Scoot Over down in Tucson, even though I live in Cottonwood...good folks to deal with.

Don't think I'll be too disappointed. I don't think the Agility will have quite the power of the Buddy and I can be sure it won't get the mileage, but there should be a lot of performance upgrades for it...

For better pics, go to http://www.kymco.co.uk/scooters/agility125.html

--Keys 8)
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Keys wrote:Don't think I'll be too disappointed.
Either scooter would have been a fine choice. I hope you'll come back and let us know how you like the Agility.

Whatever you ride, ride safe!
Robin

agility 125

Post by Robin »

I to have decided on the agility not neccessarily because of price but I really like being able to convert the passenger seat to a driver backrest. Comfort is the name of the game for me. I sure I will get to where I am going just as fast as I would on the Buddy. If the Buddy offered the driver backrest option then I would probably go with it.
sparty

Post by sparty »

I agree that a convertable seat would be nice. Some how I double Buddy will have one though :-(
Javarod

Post by Javarod »

One thing I heard when I picked up my Vitality from the shop (was there for over 2 weeks, mostly 'cause I told them to take their time), the owner told me she wasn't sure about the convertible seat. Mind you, that's not that bad news when you consider that everything I've seen has said that the only difference between the A50 and A125 is the motor, if you had to, you could order the A50 seat and install it on your A125.
Javarod
G! Buckleshoe
j450n

Post by j450n »

my girlfriend and i test rode both yesterday. while i'm interested in the added power, i think we're going to go with the buddy. its low center of gravity and substantially cheaper sticker price -- not to mention much better aesthetics -- are the main reasons for our decision. now we just have to pick the color!

jason kucsma
clamor magazine
Robin

buddy vs people 150

Post by Robin »

I rode both yesterday and decided the handling of the 150 people was a little better plus the added power made me decide to go with the people.
ellen

Re: buddy vs people 150

Post by ellen »

j450n wrote:my girlfriend and i test rode both yesterday. while i'm interested in the added power, i think we're going to go with the buddy. its low center of gravity and substantially cheaper sticker price -- not to mention much better aesthetics -- are the main reasons for our decision. now we just have to pick the color!
Robin wrote:I rode both yesterday and decided the handling of the 150 people was a little better plus the added power made me decide to go with the people.
That's the way to do it. Try both out and see what works best for you.

Good luck with your new scooters! :)
Keys

Post by Keys »

Well, it would seem I found the extra $400.00 req'd to get the Buddy instead of the Agility! However, now that I've investigated the Agility, it's a harder decision than before! Both seem to be decent machines, but the Buddy is still sort of an unknown quantity...and to be honest, so is the Agility, since it's made in Kymco's mainland China plant rather than in Taiwan proper. And we ALL know about the quality in Chinese scooters. I guess another road trip to Tucson to test ride both is in order this Saturday. I'll let you all know how it works out!

--Keys 8)