Dog Daze please go away

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KCScooterDude

Dog Daze please go away

Post by KCScooterDude »

I can't wait until winter so I can ride again.

It is going to hit 100 again today in Kansas City. There is a heat warning in 18 states today! I haven't been on the scooter for just over a month. This from a person who rides when the temperature is in the teens. It's been hot and humid and the only good riding is at night. Heck, it's already 80 when I leave for work in the morning. When it hits 90, with our humidity, it's just too hot to ride unless you want to arrive at the office, store, whatever, sweaty and a bit light headed.

Just venting.

I do wonder if anyone else finds themselves riding more in the cold weather than in the heat?
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

I;m in the same boat. I have had my Buddy since March and was riding it a lot at first. By the time July came around, the hot weather has taken all of the fun out of it (unless I'm up early on a weekend.)

Can't wait for the cooler weather to set back in.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

It's hot but I have scooted everyday this week. Here is a picture from last week.
Attachments
hot babeeeeeee
hot babeeeeeee
102degrees_169.jpg (106.2 KiB) Viewed 1059 times
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

iMoses, you are braver than I am. I just hope you guys are going to schedule rides when it's cooler. I'm up for anything between about 15 and 89, and that's F, not C!
dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

LOL , I would never buy this scoot, but it looks like it would nok the temp down a couple degrees. (just saw it on craigs in phx, to me it screams pull me over)
Attachments
3n73k63m05Q55W15X2a8ab28ee1d258981d30.jpg
3n73k63m05Q55W15X2a8ab28ee1d258981d30.jpg (6.13 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
3kb3m53pb5O25R15S1a8a3f2ff85991e91c51.jpg
3kb3m53pb5O25R15S1a8a3f2ff85991e91c51.jpg (5.6 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

KCScooterDude wrote:I just hope you guys are going to schedule rides when it's cooler. I'm up for anything between about 15 and 89, and that's F, not C!
Oh we will for sure... we have had quite a few rides since we formed our group (mid-March) and will continue to do so... when we started most of our rides were during the week. Lately we are doing more weekend rides. I am still hoping for a Chief's Training camp ride (St. Jo).

I am positive that once the temps cool down there will be even more rides.
We will do the Liberty Corn Maze ride again (Oct.), and I am wanting to do a picnic again (without the cops this time), and maybe a get together at my house for grilling and scooting.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Please make sure that you are all staying well hydrated, dehydration can happen quickly in this heat and increase your risk of heat related emergencies. the scary thing about heat exhaustion is that it is not at all uncommon for people to not realise that they are overheated and you can actually go a little crazy (yes, I have seen it happen to people, they look and act like they are drunk).

Please familiarize yourself with the signs and symptoms of heat related problems and how to recognize these problems in others.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first- ... on/FA00020
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first- ... ke/FA00019

Please remember that, just as people have different tolerances of things like alcohol and cold temperatures, we have different abilities to tolerate heat.

It is NOT a sign of how macho or how dedicated to scootering you are to take the scoot on an extremely hot day if your body is not able to tolerate it and you are not willing/able to do the things necessary to help your body tolerate those temps. Also, an individual's ability to handle heat can vary quite a bit, your body is a pretty amazing thing and it does not take much to throw the system out of whack.

Stay safe out there!

-v
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Dog Daze please go away

Post by illnoise »

KCScooterDude wrote:I can't wait until winter so I can ride again.
At least you don't live in Chicago where it's 100° or 0° with three days of "rainy season" and three days of "wet leaves season" in between. At least our traffic sucks. : )

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Re: Dog Daze please go away

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

KCScooterDude wrote:I can't wait until winter so I can ride again.

It is going to hit 100 again today in Kansas City. There is a heat warning in 18 states today! I haven't been on the scooter for just over a month. This from a person who rides when the temperature is in the teens. It's been hot and humid and the only good riding is at night. Heck, it's already 80 when I leave for work in the morning. When it hits 90, with our humidity, it's just too hot to ride unless you want to arrive at the office, store, whatever, sweaty and a bit light headed.

Just venting.

I do wonder if anyone else finds themselves riding more in the cold weather than in the heat?
ride all weather my cars tires are square now here ya on the winter riding cant wait I think I only missed two weeks of riding due to blizzards
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

I had trouble with the heat, until my wife bought me the Ventata jacket from Corazzo. I love it! Although, I should say I have the silver, the black looks better, but if you want to stay cool which a mesh jacket, why choose a color that absorbs energy better?
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
PIStaker

Sa, TX vs Chi, IL

Post by PIStaker »

I'm in San Antonio, and my Buddy is my daily commuter. Granted its only a 5 mile commute each way, but I do ride a little everyday. Plus I get to go out and do my errands as well.
Having living the past 12 years in Chicago, the novelty of having sunny days has not run out yet.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

i am much more tolerant of cold temps than this heat. I happily ride in the 40's for short distances...and ride below freezing ( but not happily). I have found myself getting really distracted and road rageful in the heat. I admit I have been jacketless of a while. This summer has been murder! Nice in the morning, but miserable almost every day by 10am.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Vic wrote:Please make sure that you are all staying well hydrated, dehydration can happen quickly in this heat and increase your risk of heat related emergencies. the scary thing about heat exhaustion is that it is not at all uncommon for people to not realise that they are overheated and you can actually go a little crazy (yes, I have seen it happen to people, they look and act like they are drunk).

Please familiarize yourself with the signs and symptoms of heat related problems and how to recognize these problems in others.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first- ... on/FA00020
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first- ... ke/FA00019

Please remember that, just as people have different tolerances of things like alcohol and cold temperatures, we have different abilities to tolerate heat.

It is NOT a sign of how macho or how dedicated to scootering you are to take the scoot on an extremely hot day if your body is not able to tolerate it and you are not willing/able to do the things necessary to help your body tolerate those temps. Also, an individual's ability to handle heat can vary quite a bit, your body is a pretty amazing thing and it does not take much to throw the system out of whack.

Stay safe out there!

-v
well said Vic. Hydrating is not drinking diet pepsi or an iced coffee. Good rule of thumb, keep sipping water (not chugging) throughout the day until your pee is clear.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Vic wrote:Please make sure that you are all staying well hydrated, dehydration can happen quickly in this heat and increase your risk of heat related emergencies.
well said V. Proper hydration is not iced coffee, diet pepsi, or sugary juice drinks. Get a durable travel bottle that will fit in the carrier or an aqua pack for long trips. Good rule of thumb, little sips throughout the day (not chugging) until your pee is clear, then continue as you perspire.
dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

3 reasons I didn't make it to the thrift store today...

1 Opened back yard door, and my dog looked @ me like I was crazy. (& she always runs outside)

2 My rear tire was low on the schwinn last night so I went to pump up the tire but the heat from the sun had already done this for me.

3 By the time I put the pump back up, unlocked my bike and sat down on the inferno of a seat, I realized my dog was right!