Graduated from BRC today

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

dahuffy

Graduated from BRC today

Post by dahuffy »

I, along with 3 other Buddy owners, graduated from the Basic Riders Course in OKCity today :whew:
I can HIGHLY recommend this training. It's geared toward the motorcycle rider of course, but there's a LOT to be learned as far as driving safely and learning what your scooter can actually do. Now I just have to pass the Permit Test down at the DMV :wink:
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
Shellee

Post by Shellee »

Congratulations! And best of luck with your permit test!

~ Shellee
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Thank you Dear,I'm going to need it. I already tried and failed TWICE, by ONE question, last week :cry: But that was before the course.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Congratulations on completing the BRC. Third time's the charm on the Permit Test. You can do it! Let us know how it goes.

Ride safe.
Blackeyes24

Post by Blackeyes24 »

Its a shame you dont live in florida. Here you actually get your motorcycle licence at the end of the BRC. They give both the written and the road test and then give you a certificated to take to DMV to have your endorsement added. Because I am short on money I just took a scooter safety course they offer but the people I know who took the BRC loved it.
OkieBuddy

I should have taken my camera

Post by OkieBuddy »

Yes, it is true, we (wife, grandson and me) passed the BRC today, along with Debbie. Best sight was watching Debbie on her pink Buddy followed by a massive Yamaha (Harley looking) motorcycle while we were learning basin manuvers. I wish I had taken my camera! :shock:

Debbie's husband had some nice aluminum ramps from Harbor Freight for around $75.00, I believe, for offloading her Pink Buddy, nice job Steve.

Enjoyed meeting OkieJack and his wife at the BRC this weekend, on her Pink Buddy also, way to go Mrs. OkieJack!!! You were looking :shock: good on your scooter too, OkieJack!

98 degrees in the sun on cement and blacktop for two days of riding was quite an accomplishment. I need a nap! :cry:
Jim
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

It's the same way here in OK too. I got a certificate that's "Suitable for Framing". I have to take it to the DMV and then they waive the Road Test.

I took a written test during the course(got a 98%)but we still have to go down and take the one at the DMV. Bummer.
dahuffy

Re: I should have taken my camera

Post by dahuffy »

OkieBuddy wrote:Yes, it is true, we (wife, grandson and me) passed the BRC today, along with Debbie. Best sight was watching Debbie on her pink Buddy followed by a massive Yamaha (Harley looking) motorcycle while we were learning basin manuvers. I wish I had taken my camera! :shock:

Debbie's husband had some nice aluminum ramps from Harbor Freight for around $75.00, I believe, for offloading her Pink Buddy, nice job Steve.

Enjoyed meeting OkieJack and his wife at the BRC this weekend, on her Pink Buddy also, way to go Mrs. OkieJack!!! You were looking :shock: good on your scooter too, OkieJack!

98 degrees in the sun on cement and blacktop for two days of riding was quite an accomplishment. I need a nap! :cry:
I seem to remember him telling me he was really surprised when he saw this little,pink scooter passing him up too! :rofl:
OkieBuddy

Yamaha seen getting passed by a Pink Buddy

Post by OkieBuddy »

The professors who taught the BRC were impressed by the scooters. Out of 24 students, we had 4 using their scooters or loaners. They were amazed at how they could brake and stop so quickly.

Atomic Brown Scooter Shop took a loner to the location for my wife because our two scooters have not arrived yet.

Because I did not have a loner, I used the Yamaha 125 motorcycle provided by the local dealer. Yes, I was passed by a Pink scooter while accelerating, riden by Debbie. I can't wait to try out my Buddy, I know they are fast, I have seen it, right next to me on a Yamaha 125 motorcycle! :shock:
Jim
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

I'm LEGAL now! Went in and passed my Permit test today..only 2 wrong this time. Now, if they'd just send me the title to my scooter, I'd get my tags.
okclc

also legal!

Post by okclc »

Congratulations, dahuffy! It's okclc...AKA "Mrs. okiejack." The pink scooter from the other group. I passed my exam yesterday--what a load off! We did quite a bit of scooting this morning...feeling more and more confident.

I'm enjoying a nice relaxing weekend--hope you are too!

okclc
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Third Time is the Charm

Post by jrsjr »

Ha! I told you the third time was the charm. Be careful out there.
Beamie

Re: Yamaha seen getting passed by a Pink Buddy

Post by Beamie »

OkieBuddy wrote:The professors who taught the BRC were impressed by the scooters. Out of 24 students, we had 4 using their scooters or loaners.
The classes in CT do not allow scooters; only motorcycles.
Clutch/shift coordination is part of the lesson plan.
castleton

connecticut courses

Post by castleton »

Wow--I didn't know that about the Connecticut course. I'm registered for classes beginning on the 31st and going thru August 2nd, at Gateway Community College. I'm going to call them and confirm this.

You'd think they'd want you to master the vehicle you will be riding on, not some loaner!

:roll:
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
OkieBuddy

Took the class with a motorcycle provided

Post by OkieBuddy »

I took the BRC in OKC, who does allow scooters, on a motorcycle provided by a local motorcycle dealer. Can you do the same in CT? The only difference is using a clutch and foot brake.
Jim
ctpaddler2000

Re: connecticut courses

Post by ctpaddler2000 »

castleton wrote:Wow--I didn't know that about the Connecticut course. I'm registered for classes beginning on the 31st and going thru August 2nd, at Gateway Community College. I'm going to call them and confirm this.

You'd think they'd want you to master the vehicle you will be riding on, not some loaner!

:roll:
If signed up for the "Basic" course, the bikes are provided to you. You cannot bring your own bike to that course. There is an "Experience" class which you bring your own bike, but you already need to be licensed to take that one. They have tried to put together a "Basic" class where people bring their own scooters, but it has not happened yet.

Rob
AN400K6
castleton

CT BRC

Post by castleton »

Thanks, Rob. I wish the scooter course were available now, since I have absolutely NO experience on a motorcycle. I'm anxious about taking the course now! I really don't know anyone with a motorcycle, either, to practice on. Oh well, maybe I'll be taking it 3 times as well!
:?
--Pam

ctpaddler2000

Post by ctpaddler2000 »

You will have a blast in the class Pam! Half the class is inside so it applies to everyone. The bikes are all standard shift. Worst case, if you cannot get a handle on shifting for the class make sure the instructor goes through all the skills needed for the riding portion of the DMV test with you. Taking that on your Buddy should be easy if you do not pass the course.

We ride our scooters every Wednesday night out of Plainville, CT. But that is probably just a tad to far from you.
Attachments
harley20060719c.jpg
harley20060719c.jpg (50.77 KiB) Viewed 2793 times
castleton

Post by castleton »

Thanks for the enouragement! I hadn't thought of that--that I'll stillbe able to take the DMV test on the scooter. Brain's not activated today, I guess.

Re: Wed. rides--I rode home from Scooter Centrale, but that was with a friend tailing me in a car, so I'm not up for that...yet! Do you (or anyone) know of SE CT rides and/or riders???

Thanks again!
--Pam

ctpaddler2000

Post by ctpaddler2000 »

castleton wrote: Do you (or anyone) know of SE CT rides and/or riders???
There is a group out of New Haven. Not knowing you, I can't really say if it is your type of crowd? http://www.elmcityscooterclub.com/
Beamie

Re: CT BRC

Post by Beamie »

castleton wrote:Thanks, Rob. I wish the scooter course were available now, since I have absolutely NO experience on a motorcycle. I'm anxious about taking the course now! I really don't know anyone with a motorcycle, either, to practice on. Oh well, maybe I'll be taking it 3 times as well!
:?
An-inlaw is an instructor at one of the CT schools and she reassured my wife that if she can ride a bicycle and a standard shift car it would be a no brainer to adapt to the motorebike.
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

castleton wrote:Thanks for the enouragement! I hadn't thought of that--that I'll stillbe able to take the DMV test on the scooter.

Thanks again!
I took the test on a fairly big motorcycle and have ridden my wife's Buddy instructing her, and frankly I think the motorcycle is easier in the slow speed stuff like the test will require.

It is difficult to modulate the low speed throttle control on the Buddy; it's like a light switch in the way it comes on after the revs build.

The motorcycle has the luxury of being able to pull in the clutch and coast through the manuevers.

If we need some oomph on the Buddy, we get that initial kick in the pants that can throw off the balance in mid-turn.
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

I live in Cincinnati and was able to write to the State for permission to use my scooter for the entire Basic Motorcycle Course. Everyone told me they never grant it but I received the permission letter last Friday. Apparently this is a first so maybe they realize there are going to be lots more scooters on the road. I explained in my letter I had no desire to ride a motorcycle: never had, never will. So I'm really excited. I watched a bunch of motorcycles go through the Skills Test yesterday at the local DMV yesterday and feel pretty confident I can pass this. I can't get into the Course till the end of September and want to be able to ride at night (Temporary Permit restriction). So I figure I'll try to get the Skills Test over with before the Course. I saw quite a few guys fail the Skills test, though. The big bikes have a lot of trouble with the cones and the 90 degree turns; their bikes are just too big and long. Good luck to everyone! Be safe!
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

When you take the course you get to waive the DMV Skills Test all together. You'll take the test with the rest of the people in class.
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

BoneGirl wrote: I watched a bunch of motorcycles go through the Skills Test yesterday at the local DMV yesterday and feel pretty confident I can pass this.
When we went to look, the inspector suggested practicing at the test site on a day when they are closed.

As an alternative I just paced off the obstacles and made some sketches. Then I marked out the items on our deadend street (a parking lot would also do fine) with a yellow carpenters crayon.
By day 2 my wife had it down.
castleton

Post by castleton »

Just to finish up this thread....

I graduated BRC today!!! (August 2) And I have to tell you, after 3 days on a beat-up 125 cc Kawasaki, it felt SO good to ride my Buddy home. There is no comparison.

But the course was great (as I've said elsewhere) and well worth the $165 I paid. I was afraid to take the course, at first, because I have no previous experience with a clutch bike, but the teachers were wonderful, and their patience and coaching were valuable. I corner better, turn my head before turning, and just feel a lot more "in charge" on the bike.

No line at the DMV, presented my waiver (I already had the permit) and now I'm as street legal as my bike!
--Pam

Shellee

Post by Shellee »

Congratulations Pam!! Have fun scootin!
~ Shellee
Genuine Buddy 170
www.scooterdiva.com
SizzleBuddy

Post by SizzleBuddy »

Does anyone know what type of license rules there are in Minnesota or Florida for driving a Buddy on the roads?

Do you need to get ur motorcycle license to drive one? Do you need to take a course? anything like that..?
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

I don't know about MN, but in FL you need a MC license for anything 50 cc or over.

Jody