Motorcycles versus scooters: My Verdict

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KCScooterDude

Motorcycles versus scooters: My Verdict

Post by KCScooterDude »

So I sold my motorcycle. The wife and I decided we could use a little extra money, so I volunteered selling the Suzuki. I paid $425 for it (it did not run) and all told I had about $800 into it when I was done (windscreen, new paint, new seat, new tires, etc.). I sold it last weekend for exactly that. I could have even made money if I sold it in the spring and worked out a few more issue with it.

But I digress.

In the end, I've decided that I'd rather have a scooter (or two or three) than a motorcycle. Given the choice, I'd take the scooter every time. It's just too convenient and, at the end of the day, more fun to ride.

Now, don't get me wrong, in a lot of ways I love motorcycles. I love to look at them. I love to work on them. I love to drool over owning a new one (Suzuki TU250, Suzuki V-Strom, Triumph Bonneville, Kawi Vulcan 900, Harley Fat Bob or Sportster Iron 883). I love the idea of taking a Suzuki S40 and buying a bobber kit from bluecollerchoppers.com. I love belonging to the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club. I love the idea of finding a BMW R90/6 or Honda CB750 and lovingly restoring it. I love the idea of putting on a leather jacket and showing up at work on a big iron horse.

But at the end of the day, I don't like to ride them as much as a scooter.

I have fantasies in this direction too. I want a Stella, a Vespa GTS 300 Super, a Burgman of either displacement. I want to restore a PX from 1980 or so. And, I want to ride them and keep them too.

Why am I writing this? Maybe as an obituary for my Suzuki. Maybe as a cautionary tale to newer scooter riders: It's okay to flirt with motorcycles, but don't invest too much money in it. And in any case, one cylinder and 250cc is about all anyone needs - the rest is for just pushing around more iron or for those who think a track day on their crotch rocket is their idea of fun (and I'm not hating, I'm sure it is a lot of fun).

Maybe I'll invest a little of this money in buying a lift from Harbor Freight and bulking up my Craftsman tool chest. That way I can buy an old bike, work on it. sell it and fuel my scooter habit.
mattgordon

Re: Motorcycles versus scooters: My Verdict

Post by mattgordon »

[quote="KCScooterDude"]Maybe as a cautionary tale to newer scooter riders: It's okay to flirt with motorcycles, but don't invest too much money in it. [quote]

I have both scooters and motorcycles, and enjoy them both immensely.
I also enjoy them differently, and there are strengths and weaknesses to both.

Your advice to others is simply based on where you are at at this time in your motorcycling "career", and not necessarily "right advice" for everyone....I think that needs to be clarified.

I predict at some point in time, you'll have the hankering for a "proper" motorcycle at some point in time in the future, whether you act on that or not, and not neccesarily at the expense of ditching your scooter.

Scooters and motorcycles: different tools for different jobs. All good, none bad!
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

mattgordon wrote:Your advice to others is simply based on where you are at at this time in your motorcycling "career", and not necessarily "right advice" for everyone....I think that needs to be clarified.

I predict at some point in time, you'll have the hankering for a "proper" motorcycle at some point in time in the future, whether you act on that or not, and not neccesarily at the expense of ditching your scooter.
No, I have to disagree. I stand behind my advice. When I was considering buying a motorcycle there were a lot of trusty Modern Buddy members who gave me the same advice, and most said don't sell your scooter because you will find it more useful for commuting and around town. I will clarify it a bit, though. Of course many people go on to enjoy motorcycling just as much as scootering (or even more). My advice is buy a used bike, one you know you can get your money back out of if you don't like it, before going out and buying a new $14,000 motorcycle. There are a lot of people who do just that, and that's why God invented Craigslist, so guys like us can find nearly new bikes for a fraction of the cost.

I've ridden dozens of motorcycles and enjoyed most of them, just not as much as my scooter. Now, if I was going to do touring, that might change things a bit. However, I would probably end up with a Burgman anyway.

As you can tell from my original post, sport bike or cruiser, Japanese, German or American, scooter or motorcycle (even moped - ridden a few of those too) it's all good. It's just not for everyone.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Nice write-up KC. I'll bet ya a hundred bux you'll be back. Like Matt said, I find that different machines are for different types of riding. While I would love to agree that a 250cc thumper is all you need, after my trip to Canada, I'm glad I had the 400 (and even then everyone was pretty incredulous that I was on a such "a tiny bike"). Do I enjoy riding the F650GS in town? No. Would I enjoy riding the Buddy to Cape Breton? No.

I say this as someone who got that schweet '73 CB750 and quickly realized it was the wrong bike for me. It broke my heart that I couldn't come to love it, but the guy who bought it, loves it. I replaced it with a '70 CB350 and it's perfect.

Word of advice: don't throw your leg over an old Triumph Scrambler or a /5 or you'll be adding on to the garage.

And don't give up your VJMC membership!
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

KCScooterDude wrote:
mattgordon wrote:Your advice to others is simply based on where you are at at this time in your motorcycling "career", and not necessarily "right advice" for everyone....I think that needs to be clarified.

No, I have to disagree. I stand behind my advice. When I was considering buying a motorcycle there were a lot of trusty Modern Buddy members who gave me the same advice, and most said don't sell your scooter because you will find it more useful for commuting and around town. I will clarify it a bit, though. Of course many people go on to enjoy motorcycling just as much as scootering (or even more). My advice is buy a used bike, one you know you can get your money back out of if you don't like it, before going out and buying a new $14,000 motorcycle. There are a lot of people who do just that, and that's why God invented Craigslist, so guys like us can find nearly new bikes for a fraction of the cost.

I've ridden dozens of motorcycles and enjoyed most of them, just not as much as my scooter. Now, if I was going to do touring, that might change things a bit. However, I would probably end up with a Burgman anyway.

As you can tell from my original post, sport bike or cruiser, Japanese, German or American, scooter or motorcycle (even moped - ridden a few of those too) it's all good. It's just not for everyone.
Buying a used bike is wonderful advice, especially since the market is flooded with exceptional specimens, priced right these days. Thanks for your clarification. Of course you can ride any bike anywhere if you're of a mind to.

By the way, I always thought Craig invented Craigslist....
TVB

Post by TVB »

mattgordon wrote:I predict at some point in time, you'll have the hankering for a "proper" motorcycle at some point in time in the future, whether you act on that or not, and not neccesarily at the expense of ditching your scooter.
Maybe I'm just a little overly sensitive from the way people used to tell me that I'd "change my mind" about what I wanted in life, but this strikes me as a bit... too sure of yourself. I'm not going to stand up and declare that I will never think of getting a motorcycle, because maybe someday I'll fall in love with a biker or something. But I really don't think so. I can appreciate a nice-looking motorcycle, but that doesn't mean I'm secretly longing to ride one. They're great for the people who are into them, but... they don't appeal to everyone.
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

TVB wrote:
mattgordon wrote:I predict at some point in time, you'll have the hankering for a "proper" motorcycle at some point in time in the future, whether you act on that or not, and not neccesarily at the expense of ditching your scooter.
Maybe I'm just a little overly sensitive from the way people used to tell me that I'd "change my mind" about what I wanted in life, but this strikes me as a bit... too sure of yourself. I'm not going to stand up and declare that I will never think of getting a motorcycle, because maybe someday I'll fall in love with a biker or something. But I really don't think so. I can appreciate a nice-looking motorcycle, but that doesn't mean I'm secretly longing to ride one. They're great for the people who are into them, but... they don't appeal to everyone.
Nobody's suggesting anyone will change their mind, give-up scooters OR fall in love with a biker. I'm simply saying, to the OP who has demonstrated past history with motorcycles as well as scooters that they may find the urge for a motorcycle returns sometime.

These things are cyclical...believe me, I've been riding for years and at some point in time anything with 2 (3?) wheels and a motor has an appeal....

Peoples tastes and interests change, mutate, whatever you want to call it.
TVB

Post by TVB »

mattgordon wrote:Nobody's suggesting anyone will change their mind, give-up scooters OR fall in love with a biker. I'm simply saying, to the OP who has demonstrated past history with motorcycles as well as scooters that they may find the urge for a motorcycle returns sometime.
Or they won't. I was once into 20-year-olds, but I ain't going back to 'em. :)
These things are cyclical...
Peoples tastes and interests change, mutate, whatever you want to call it.
But not always in cycles (so to speak). Your experience is yours, and (like the EPA warns) others' mileage may vary.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

before buying the Buddy, I found myself in a Harley dealership, priced out and almost signing for an 883 sportster. It was a sexy bike, and I felt like it fit me like a glove. I stepped back, and after further assessment, and a test ride on the Buddy 125, I was sold on the Buddy. I may get a 250 or even up to 400cc scooter, but at the end of the day, I still love the Buddy, and it also weighs a lot on the economicability and versatility. Plus the chicks really dig it.
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

at what cc is the extra power going to waste? like the highest legal speed sign i've seen is 70 or 75 mph, so obviously it's stupid to go out and buy a 1000+cc bike, yet people think bigger is better. is there something I'm not understanding, cause a 500 would probably do fine on a freeway
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

slusher5 wrote:at what cc is the extra power going to waste? like the highest legal speed sign i've seen is 70 or 75 mph, so obviously it's stupid to go out and buy a 1000+cc bike, yet people think bigger is better. is there something I'm not understanding, cause a 500 would probably do fine on a freeway
It depends on the Freeway. You'd get run over doing the speed limit or anything less than 10 mph over out here.

It's really something that can't be explained. Just to throw more fodder into the confusion, different engine types have different power outputs. There's 1200cc vtwins that produce way less power than a lesser displacement arranged in an inline 4. The torque and ride is completely different as well. It's a matter of opinion and taste. It's also a good excuse to have more than one (or 5). The extra displacement isn't wasted if you feel that you're getting what you paid for. I rarely use all 1000cc's on my MC (hell, my 500 for that matter) but I like having there for when I need or want it.

Advice is rarely universal, but the option is always there to take it or leave it.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Korova

Post by Korova »

So in 2005 I decided I wanted a scooter, I had been wanting one for years and I decided on a Yamaha Zuma 150 after being talked out of a Vespa. So I took my motorcycle test and in doing so realized that a motorcycle was a blast to ride. I ditched the scooter idea and bought a honda shadow.

While a motorcycle is a blast it never satisfied my desire to have a scooter completely. Now it's 2010 and when my soon-to-be-wife wanted to buy a scooter i got to try them out and bought my Italia with little to no thought. My scooter is AWESOME and I've told others I enjoy it way more than the motorcycle.

If I could only have one, I'd have the motorcycle though. I love them both for different reasons but the motorcycle satisfies a travel need more than the scooter does.

Luckily I don't have to choose between the two, and after a hot day commuting home on the bike it's so fun to zip around town on the scooter and pick up some groceries. :)

When I sell the motorcycle it will be for another motorcycle.

Just my thoughts.. Like someone said: your mileage may vary.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

In the end, I've decided that I'd rather have a scooter (or two or three) than a motorcycle. Given the choice, I'd take the scooter every time. It's just too convenient and, at the end of the day, more fun to ride.
You're doing it wrong.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
slusher5

Post by slusher5 »

Lostmycage wrote:
slusher5 wrote:at what cc is the extra power going to waste? like the highest legal speed sign i've seen is 70 or 75 mph, so obviously it's stupid to go out and buy a 1000+cc bike, yet people think bigger is better. is there something I'm not understanding, cause a 500 would probably do fine on a freeway
It depends on the Freeway. You'd get run over doing the speed limit or anything less than 10 mph over out here.

It's really something that can't be explained. Just to throw more fodder into the confusion, different engine types have different power outputs. There's 1200cc vtwins that produce way less power than a lesser displacement arranged in an inline 4. The torque and ride is completely different as well. It's a matter of opinion and taste. It's also a good excuse to have more than one (or 5). The extra displacement isn't wasted if you feel that you're getting what you paid for. I rarely use all 1000cc's on my MC (hell, my 500 for that matter) but I like having there for when I need or want it.

Advice is rarely universal, but the option is always there to take it or leave it.

I would never in my right mind ride on a freeway in houston with a 2 wheeler(i did accidentally get on highway 59 with my buddy 50 =p, but i got off as fast as 40mph could get me)

people just don't care about anyone but themselves, not to mention houston is filled with tons of people with nothing better to do then drive drunk, distracted, or 10+mph over the speed limit
michelle_7728

Motorcycles vs scooters

Post by michelle_7728 »

Kind of off-topic, but the last post reminded me:

I flew back to take a week long class in Dallas a few years ago. I remember this lady was tailgating my rental car really closely. When I looked in the mirror I was shocked to see her kid "riding" in her car by laying horizontally across the top of the front and back seats. Had I had to break suddenly, that kid would have flew straight out the windshield like a surf board. :shock:

Crazy people out there. If they don't even care about their own kids, they sure don't care about other people, regardless of whether they are in a car, scooter, or whatever! :(
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

Why choose? A bike for every mood, every occasion, every type of ride.

The Buddy is the fun bike.
The Ducati is the fast bike.
The Triumph is the pretty bike.
The Harley is the cool bike.
The old Honda is the project bike.

Buy as many, or as few as you like!
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Seems like this topic comes up every few months and there's good reasoning on both sides. Bear in mind that your decision must be influenced by your location and the types of roads you ride.

In the West, highway speed limits are 75mph and most folks are pretty comfortable cruising 5-10mph above that limit. For me, highway riding requires the ability to out-brake and out-accelerate anything on 4 wheels. I will not allow myself to get trapped in some truck's blind spot so, if I can't drop a cog or two and put serious distance between me and everybody else in seconds, I'm not relaxed. For my needs, this requires a fairly powerful motorcycle with eye-bulging brakes. It doesn't require the sub 11 second 1/4 mile times you get on superbikes but it usually requires somewhere in the neighborhood of 100hp or 60plus ft./lbs of torque. I've ridden lots of scooters, including the maxis and didn't feel (my definition of) safe on the highway on any of them. That's me, your take on highway riding may be different.

For around town it's no contest and the scooter wins every time. More convenient, more fun and safer too because at sub highway speeds I can out-stop and out-handle just about anything. During a typical week, I'll reach for the scooter keys on 5 days while the motorcycle sits. But, on the one or two days I need the motorcycle, I'm very glad that I have it.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

I agree that scooters and motorcycles both have their merits. And I totally understand wanting high-end power if freeway cruising or commuting is something you do a lot.

Personally, I don't. I mostly commute around town and hit the rural two-lane when I have time for a pleasure ride. If I was in a different place I might want something over 500cc for touring. The guy who teaches the motorcycle repair class I took at the local junior college tours out west on a Honda Silverwing with a sidecar. ( have pictures, I can prove it). He often tows a trailer behind it (sometimes loaded with a motorcycle needing repair) and he has no problem passing cruisers on the freeway.

I love motorcycles and will probably buy a few more before I'm done. Frankly, I see myself buying old bikes and bringing them back to life then selling them. I will buy scooters for everyday riding and for keeping.

Whether it's motorcycles or scooters, we riders have something in us that binds us together. The best bikers and scooterists I've met understand this.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

Texas drivers as dumb asses... I should know, I lived there for the first 31 years of my life...

:)
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

After having had both motorcycles and scooters, I've settled on scooters. I love the IDEA of motorcycles; I would love to have a custom cafe racer sitting in my living room. As far as riding it....meh. Scooters, on the other hand, have provided me with both great fun and incomparable utility. I can admire a beautiful motorcycle, particularly the vintage numbers, but I'm more impressed with the aesthetics than with the ride.
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

For me, I've thought about a motorcycle and instead got a bigger scooter, everal of them (anyone looking to buy a 2007 Burgman 400cc?) and have discovered that I like a variety.

Would I ride my Buddy 125cc on the freeway in Houston - not voluntarily. I have and will continue to ride my Vespa GTS 250 & Scarabeo 500ie on the freeways in Houston.

After riding a Burgman for just over a year I have discovered that for me a classic style scooter is the best fit which is why I'm selling the Burgman and keeping the BV 500 & Scarabeo 500 for long distance riding such as my July trip from Houston to Breckenridge, CO. For in-town use the Buddy and Vespa are perfect but the 1200 miles I did on the GTS going to Amerivespa over 6 days was as much as I'd want to do on it.

I'll admit that there were a few times in Colorado that the extra heat having the motor between my legs instead of more or less behind me would have felt good but since most of the time I'm riding in Houston scooters suit me better.

Ride what suits you and the ride you are doing at the time.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

iMoses wrote:Texas drivers as dumb asses... I should know, I lived there for the first 31 years of my life...

:)
Congratulations on your escape.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Ride what suits you and the ride you are doing at the time.
My sentiment precisely.

There's no doubt that Silverwings and Burgmen (sounds better than "Burgmans" to me) are capable and comfortable highway cruisers. My problem with scooters that large is weight: the Honda settles in around 550 pounds and the Suzukis are closer to 600. That's a deal breaker for me, I like my bikes under 450 pounds and, ideally, under 400 pounds, hence the Hyper. The Burgman would be much more comfy than my Hyper though, especially after about an hour.

But geez, the Burgman weighs 150 pounds more than a 1200GS and I'm thinking the GS is a much more capable touring machine. Sure, it's apples and oranges to a large extent. For example, a Honda equivalent touring motorcycle will weigh more than the Silverwing or Burgman, but there are other options. What it comes down to for me is that the benefits I long for in scooters don't exist in maxis. They have long wheelbases and they're heavy, but again, that's just me.

Then again, if you're touring from Houston to Breckenridge, you have far more touring cred than I do. More power to ya, you shouldn't be listening to me!
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

gt1000 wrote:.....Burgmen (sounds better than "Burgmans" to me)
Better make that Burgpersons lest you offend someone. :wink:
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

As much as I want a motorcycle sometimes, the things KC pointed out are exactly what has kept me from thinking seriously about it. My Buddy is a commuter vehicle, and the perfect one at that. It gets me around my weekly world, it's easy on the wallet, and a blast to ride in-town. If I had the time to ride up the coast every weekend or even just the need to get on the highway more often, a mc would make more sense. But right now, I'd end up frustrated if I had one.
Rob

Post by Rob »

mattgordon wrote:I have both scooters and motorcycles, and enjoy them both immensely.
I also enjoy them differently, and there are strengths and weaknesses to both.

Scooters and motorcycles: different tools for different jobs. All good, none bad!
:+!: I now have 3 bikes ... the Buddy 125, a Honda Shadow 750 and a Kawa Vulcan 1600. I enjoy them all and ride them all for different reasons and comfort levels.
Everytime I've purchased another bike, I've always had the intention of selling the previous one. But when the time comes, I just can't seem to force myself to part with the old one. I must be a 2 wheel polygamist. :)

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
DutchIV

Post by DutchIV »

I had a Suzuki Volusia when I got my first scooter. After I took the scooter home I never rode the Volusia again.

I kept it in the garage for about 6 months and then sold it. After I sold it I got my second Vespa a GTV 250 ie.

I've never looked back.

Now I've got a LX 150, a GTV and 1956 shifty.
'07 Vespa GTV - Damfino
'06 Vespa LX 150
'56 Vespa
dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

After I felt comfortable on my lil 50, I had these thoughts... move up to a bigger scoot (like I can afford one right now ) or a motorcycle (like I can afford one right now). The only motorcycle I thought about gett'n was the hondamatic, only because of my level of riding, I thought that might be a smart deciding factor, but... the new blur... are u kidding me?
lardlad

Post by lardlad »

i think it is also cool to have a scooter because it is not a motorcycle. but i like to be different sometimes.

i do like mc's though, just too common or predictable.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

dawg onit wrote:The only motorcycle I thought about gett'n was the hondamatic, only because of my level of riding, I thought that might be a smart deciding factor, but...
Hmmm, do you mean the motorcycles Honda made with the 2-speed Hondamatic transmission 30 to 35 years ago? Or do you mean the new Honda DN-01 with a CVT transmission? The former are something of a previous era curiosity. The latter is alot of money and alot of motorcycle for someone who is looking to go 90 mph with their hair on fire. Certainly would be a change of pace from most any scooter.
dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

Yeah the older ones, a friend of mine said they were great unless you need something fixed on them.
JNV

Scooters vs. Mototrcycles

Post by JNV »

I have had both, when I was forced to sell one of my toys I sold the Suzuki and kept my Vesa and Buddy 125. I still love motorcycles but I get much more use out of a scooter. I have told myself I would not get another bike until I have the time to do some serious cross country touring. But Scooters have blurred the lines between motorcycle and scooter so much that I just might sell my Vespa or Buddy for a T-Max or Suzuki Burgman.
dakotamouse

Post by dakotamouse »

I've had dirt bikes and a street bike and I have more miles on my Buddy in two season than on all those other bikes combined. My theory is ride what you love and love the ride.
Ride what you like so you'll love to ride!
Scooterist Extraordinaire!
gr8dog

Re: Scooters vs. Mototrcycles

Post by gr8dog »

JNV wrote:.... Scooters have blurred the lines between motorcycle and scooter so much that I just might sell my Vespa or Buddy for a T-Max or Suzuki Burgman.
I picked up a used Tmax this July. It allows me to ride two up on the freeway with ease, and do it comfortably as well. I still have the Buddy and my wife is taking up riding. I love both scooters but ride the Tmax most of the time. The 2008 Buddy is closing in on 10,000 miles. We will hit that milestone this year.

Buddy advantages: Light weight, extremely quick handling, gas mileage.
Tmax advantages: Two up, freeway capable, incredible stability.

Here are a few photos of both. Tmax in Door County, WI. Buddy in Fond Du Lac county, WI.

KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

GR8DOG,

How much storage in that T-Max. Did you look at the Majesty or Burgmans. What made you choose the T-Max?
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

KCScooterDude wrote:GR8DOG,

How much storage in that T-Max. Did you look at the Majesty or Burgmans. What made you choose the T-Max?
Regarding storage, I can fit my Shoei SH1100 under the seat with some extra room, but not much. I would say about twice the space as the Buddy under the seat. There are also two glove boxes up front. The top case will hold two 3/4 helmets easily but not two ff helmets. For me there is more than enough storage.

Why did I choose the Tmax? I test rode LOTS of bikes over about 8 months, including the Burgman 650 (several times), Majesty, Kawasaki 500, BMW 1200, Honda NT700 among others. I felt the Tmax was the most fun of all of them in terms of handling and all around riding. There are much quicker bikes but a JCosta variator will make up a lot of that difference. It all came down to many test rides, some nearly a half hour long. Go sit on a lot of bikes, test ride the ones you find comfortable. The Tmax made me grin the most, the Kawasaki was real close.
ranette

Post by ranette »

Different tools for different jobs.

If I lived in an urban environment I could definitely see how a motorcycle might not be that useful. Lugging around 400 lbs+, holding in that clutch at every red light, stretching my stubby legs to reach the ground at said lights. I moved to Vermont from NYC but find myself in NYC at various times throughout the year. Often I've looked at the city traffic and thought to myself that I wish I had my Buddy with me. Logistically that would be pretty tough. However I do ride my motorcycle down from Vermont but always leave it somewhere outside of the city; not once have I looked at the city traffic and wished that I had my motorcycle with me.

On the other hand, in Vermont, once I get out of my little village-where again the Buddy is a very useful weapon-onto the open road; traffic free twisties and long smooth sweepers that beg you to twist your right hand and lean just a little bit more...well, that's kind of fun on the Buddy, on the motorcycle it is pretty freaking close to nirvana.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

ranette wrote:Different tools for different jobs.

If I lived in an urban environment I could definitely see how a motorcycle might not be that useful. Lugging around 400 lbs+, holding in that clutch at every red light, stretching my stubby legs to reach the ground at said lights. I moved to Vermont from NYC but find myself in NYC at various times throughout the year. Often I've looked at the city traffic and thought to myself that I wish I had my Buddy with me. Logistically that would be pretty tough. However I do ride my motorcycle down from Vermont but always leave it somewhere outside of the city; not once have I looked at the city traffic and wished that I had my motorcycle with me.

On the other hand, in Vermont, once I get out of my little village-where again the Buddy is a very useful weapon-onto the open road; traffic free twisties and long smooth sweepers that beg you to twist your right hand and lean just a little bit more...well, that's kind of fun on the Buddy, on the motorcycle it is pretty freaking close to nirvana.
:+!:
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

I would love to see pics of the TMAX. I have lusted after the TMAX for a while. I love Yamahas since I had Virago 750 I loved. :D
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

And then there is the acceleration junkie.....
500 cc is basically a beginner bike.
You need enough power to get out of the way of danger.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Displacement isn't everything. The configuration of the engine, the gearing and the weight (as well as a plethora of other variables) can mean completely different characteristics in acceleration, handling and every other aspect as well.

There are 600cc bikes that can out accelerate 1200cc machines (sport bikes vs cruisers). You've got to look at the engineering of the machine. Grouping by displacement is about the least accurate thing you could do.

The end result is that the rider needs to understand how to control the bike. The bike has to be capable of performing as expected for the routes that the rider chooses. If the bike does not meet the riders needs, then another bike needs to be considered or the rider needs to reevaluate his goals (and the paths to get there).
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

charlie55 wrote:
gt1000 wrote:.....Burgmen (sounds better than "Burgmans" to me)
Better make that Burgpersons lest you offend someone. :wink:
Ugh, Burgpersons what an abomination.
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

dakotamouse wrote:I've had dirt bikes and a street bike and I have more miles on my Buddy in two season than on all those other bikes combined. My theory is ride what you love and love the ride.
If you do in-town riding keep one of the smaller scoots. Burgmans are good for long distances and for the freeways but for a quick spin around town they aren't much better than a motorcycle - a Vespa or Buddy wins in that area hands down.

The only time I'll take the Burgman for an in-town ride is if I'm going to do some major shopping since I can put 2 full face helmets & rain gear under the seat. However, even then I the Vespa GTS 250 with its 42 liter Givi case is usually more than enough.

Did I mention that I have a 2007 Suzuki Burmgan 400 for sale? :D
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

cdwise wrote:Did I mention that I have a 2007 Suzuki Burmgan 400 for sale? :D
Ugh, Burmgan! What an anomibation! :D