Genuine Price Cuts Coming

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Genuine Price Cuts Coming

Post by ericalm »

From Twitter
@philipmccaleb: genuine scooter will announce "save ferris" prices for 150, 125, blackjack, and 2 stroke stellas early next week.
We kind of knew this might be coming. Now we know it is.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

hell yea! we're in, now we just gotta get that 0% for 9 months.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

hmm what does this exactly mean?
BuddyJ

Post by BuddyJ »

Is Genuine in financial trouble. I kinda get that feeling after looking at Phil McCaleb's recent Twitter updates.
'06 Buddy 125 - Prima pipe - 11g Dr. Pulley sliders - NCY transmission kit - Prima 161cc kit - NCY big valve head - Unifilter
'09 Stella - Hot Reeds - Hot Wing
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

uh oh =/
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BuddyJ wrote:Is Genuine in financial trouble. I kinda get that feeling after looking at Phil McCaleb's recent Twitter updates.
Like which ones? I don't really see that.

To my knowledge, like many others in the industry, they're stable and solvent, but still struggling to bring in money this year. They're not going under or anything like that. The warehouse will not be catching fire.

In a year in which all powersports companies have seen big declines (with possible exception of BMW), they're all doing whatever they can to make sales, clear stock and support dealers. A company like Suzuki can just decide to skip 2010 altogether. Genuine had 2 new models lined up for 2010 and was counting on selling many Stella 4Ts, something that's been highly anticipated and was likely to provide a nice shot of revenue for the company and dealers. To everyone's disappointment, that hasn't happened yet. (Thanks, EPA!)

So America's Smallest Scooter Company may be feeling the pinch more than the Big Guys, but they fortunately have a stable foundation. Anecdotally, I think sales are starting to rise and that these discounts could provide a nice little hump at the end of the season.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Let's be fair here, scooter sales have been down this year for every manufacturer. People are not spending discretionary money as they have in the past. Probably is going to get worse before it gets better in this country.

Riding season is just about over in most of the country and there maybe a glut of inventory.

Gas prices have been relatively stable and affordable. So people are less incline to think of a scooter as a necessity.

Whether Genuine is in financial difficulty we won't know unless it goes bankrupt because they are a privately held company.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

mmm, blackjack.......I wonder how much the cut will be, and if my wife will kill me if I add another vehicle to the 6 I already have? Well, she is going to Thailand for month..........
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

riding season almost over? what? all weather all the time in the great white north i ride for the ice and snow and bugs
BuddyJ

Post by BuddyJ »

The recent one bemoaning banks is what gave me the impression. And my experience with small niche businesses. When times are tough, having a big sale and trying to blow out inventory for minimal profit so you at least have some cash on hand seems to be a common response to slow times.

Hope things are going so well that Genuine is cutting costs because they're selling in volume and can afford to pass savings on to consumers. I'd love a Rattler ;)
'06 Buddy 125 - Prima pipe - 11g Dr. Pulley sliders - NCY transmission kit - Prima 161cc kit - NCY big valve head - Unifilter
'09 Stella - Hot Reeds - Hot Wing
gigi

Post by gigi »

hey Buddy3, Tulsa Scooters has a Rattler sale priced @ $2200.00
Buddy 125's are also $2200.00, 150's 2500.00. One 2 stroke Stella @ $2500.00 (orange). Said they were expecting 4T Stellas next week. Also got a cool looking Madass scooter. Think a 125. Kymcos were marked down too.
armed, dangerous, and off his medication
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

the thing about these discounts is how dealers will price the scoots

making a recent Blackjack purchase (two months ago) paid 3,880 OTD, tax, lic, reg, and 20 mile delivery. that is retail + tax, essentially. fair deal imo considering the OTD price on the tag was $4450 with freight, prep, etc. i expected to pay retail + tax walking in. thats what was offered, and thats what was done. without the outrageous $1,000+ mark ups other dealers can make you haggle over

fast forward to two weeks ago, same dealer has the same Blackjack "discounted" to $3199. OTD price on the tag: $3880

go figure. discount up, or discount down. different pricing scheme, same price OTD

so if the dealer eliminates some fees i figure yeah, you can save some money. but if the dealer says "well its already discounted and we can't absorb ALL this cost," imo you still get a good deal on a good scooter, but it's really nothing special, or anything to wait for

maybe someone will get lucky and actually walk OTD at $3,500, but i would figure that would be the lowest you might get a Blackjack for. at least commonly

but maybe not

:?:
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

There isnt a scooter manufacturer or motorcycle manufacturer NOT offering some type of incentives these days. Vespa has promos offering up to 1200 bucks off certwin models. Sign of the times.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ i am kinda hoping to get an Agility 125 for $1500 OTD from a local powersports shop. i mean they have it priced at $999 with a 100% mark up for "Admin" fees and prep. so its actually retail + tax once all is said and done. thats not a sale :(

last time i was in there i said "will you take $1500 OTD?" the guy started to go on about "overhead," people needing to get paid, "no one here works for free," and then preceded to tell me a scoot that i know comes from mainland China costs "a lot" to ship in from Taiwan, because of this and that

i let him know i could probably get it for $1700 OTD elsewhere (lol i don't know if i could, but i said it) and it sounded like he was willing to float a $1600 OTD offer to his boss. next month i will walk in with $1500 and say "it's been here for over a YEAR and is a 2009! take it or leave it!"

i don't expect much. maybe if i offer to buy some gear, and have it serviced there? i need some gear and service, anyway
TVB

Post by TVB »

JHScoot wrote:the thing about these discounts is how dealers will price the scoots ....
go figure. discount up, or discount down. different pricing scheme, same price OTD
The automobile industry is notorious for this, taking advantage of the fact that the final price is always arrived at via negotiation. "$1000 off every car on the lot" usually means that there is $1000 less room for negotiation, or they'll charge more for financing, or they'll give you $1000 less in trade-in on your old car, etc.

But in this situation the dealers are probably facing the same concerns that Genuine is: too much inventory that they need to turn into cash. I expect they'll pass as much of the actual discount on to their customers as they need to make the sale.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

gigi wrote:Said they were expecting 4T Stellas next week.
Good luck! (I kinda doubt it)
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Dooglas wrote:
gigi wrote:Said they were expecting 4T Stellas next week.
Good luck! (I kinda doubt it)
Yeah, if by next week they mean "late fall"

http://www.examiner.com/scooter-in-detr ... oke-update
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

gigi wrote:... Said they were expecting 4T Stellas next week...
:lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :roll:
:nerd: but seriously folks.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

i was gonna say, scooter riding season is just about to start! it is to darn hot here in TX, i can't wait for the fall/winter seasons to come
cheez37

Post by cheez37 »

r0sa wrote:i was gonna say, scooter riding season is just about to start! it is to darn hot here in TX, i can't wait for the fall/winter seasons to come
I hear that! I went out this morning to try tuning my new pipe/derestricted airbox (110 jet is still running lean! GRRR!)) and I had so much fun on my 10 minute high speed loop. I had almost forgotten how much fun zipping around on it was. I can't wait for it to cool off!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Scooter season in SoCal is about 11.5 months. :P
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

ericalm wrote:Scooter season in SoCal is about 11.5 months. :P
when is the .5 month? Probably happens about the time I arrive :roll:
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

oh don't worry, here in SUNNY SoCal we spread the .5 out over the other 12

so don't forget to bring your shades Image
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

ericalm wrote:Scooter season in SoCal is about 11.5 months. :P
rub it in, why don't ya :cry:
so tough, so pink
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

chloefpuff wrote:
ericalm wrote:Scooter season in SoCal is about 11.5 months.
rub it in, why don't ya :cry:
OK :D

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

JHScoot wrote:oh don't worry, here in SUNNY SoCal we spread the .5 out over the other 12

so don't forget to bring your shades
For what it's worth, north of the Hollywood Hills in the Valley, the temps will be in the high 90s this week, cracking 100 on Tuesday before settling back down to the upper 70s next weekend. 8)
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I'd love to support my local scooter dealer and Genuine...but the Blur 220i isn't available around here. :( And, there aren't any other sport scooters' in the same class as the Blur available here in the U.S. :( Everyone else in the world gets the good stuff, but not us. :( I think I'm starting to like using the little :( face in my postings...
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

babblefish wrote:I'd love to support my local scooter dealer and Genuine...but the Blur 220i isn't available around here. :( And, there aren't any other sport scooters' in the same class as the Blur available here in the U.S. :( Everyone else in the world gets the good stuff, but not us. :( I think I'm starting to like using the little :( face in my postings...
Honestly, the Blur 220i is kind of unique in its class. The closest thing I can think to one is something like a Honda SH150, but that's not as sporty.

You can get grey-market Italjet Dragsters in CA if you look hard enough. :)
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

there are lots in other countries, Peugeot Jet Force, Gilera Runner. The Gilera Runner is my dream scooter, it's a crime you can't get it here. Piaggio should dump 3/4 of the crap they sell here and rebadge that as a Piaggio Runner. (They did it for the MP3 500, which is a Gilera in the rest of the world)

The Kymco Super 8 is similar to the Blur in styling, but not displacement.

The BV200 maybe? more 'executive.' Yeah, there really aren't that many sporty scooters sold here.

The blur is such a good size-to-displacement ratio. You wouldn't want a smaller, lighter bike with that engine, but it's still small and sporty enough to be fun. I dunno if the BV200 and People and HDs and SHs are really bigger, but they SEEM bigger to me.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

lol @ "the warehouse will not be catching fire"
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
gigi

Post by gigi »

Wow guys. Didn't know you were such cynics. A reputable scooter dealer (been in business over 6 months) tells me something in good faith and I repeat it. I'm used to dealing with SYM dealers and they always tell the absolute truth (if there is an absolute anything). :shock: javascript:emoticon(':shock:')how could I not believe what they said? We've had the Symba here for months (still hasn't sold it) and some of you didn't believe it existed. Maybe we'll get the 4T before you sunshine guys do to. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I just hope that price on the 2T is "out the door" so Ill have IT tomorrow. Party on, dreamers
armed, dangerous, and off his medication
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

gigi wrote:Wow guys. Didn't know you were such cynics. A reputable scooter dealer (been in business over 6 months) tells me something in good faith and I repeat it. I'm used to dealing with SYM dealers and they always tell the absolute truth (if there is an absolute anything). :shock: javascript:emoticon(':shock:')how could I not believe what they said? We've had the Symba here for months (still hasn't sold it) and some of you didn't believe it existed. Maybe we'll get the 4T before you sunshine guys do to. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I just hope that price on the 2T is "out the door" so Ill have IT tomorrow. Party on, dreamers
Well, since this thread was centered around various people confirming that a Genuine=to=dealer memo promised the Stella 4T in October, you can understand why people might by cynical about a dealer telling you it was coming next week. Maybe he or you misunderstood? Maybe he's getting a new shipment of 2Ts? Maybe one of the handful of demos was coming to his shop? We'd all love to be proven wrong, ha.

We all know the Symba's been on the market all summer, but it's been held up for approval in california, that's what that was all about. No one is questioning the existence of the Symba (though they might be in relatively short supply after the fire).

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

this sale is the real deal and will be offical any day now. $2200 ish for a new Bud? How can you pass that up? Heck I almost want another. I am going to try and track down the people I know or have met in passing that have had their eye on my Buddy but not been able to pull the trigger.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

peabody99 wrote:$2200 ish for a new Bud? How can you pass that up? Heck I almost want another.
I hear that. :shock:
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

peabody99 wrote:$2200 ish for a new Bud? How can you pass that up? Heck I almost want another.
that's music to my ears! I'm in the hunt for a new Bud in Sept to replace Julies stolen one, then I can get the mothership back! (sorry babe)
AtlBuddy

Post by AtlBuddy »

just checked Genuine's site and they have posted new prices.

$400 off 125
$500 off international and blackjack
$800 off Stella

It does say something about check with dealer for the deals.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

AtlBuddy wrote:just checked Genuine's site and they have posted new prices.

$400 off 125
$800 off Stella

To be clear, the site says "Save up to" the amounts quoted above. The $800 off Stella section also clearly specifies that the deal is on the 2-stroke Stellas so all you dreamers can forget getting $800 of the 4-stroke Stellas. :evil:
TVB

Post by TVB »

jrsjr wrote:The $800 off Stella section also clearly specifies that the deal is on the 2-stroke Stellas so all you dreamers can forget getting $800 of the 4-stroke Stellas. :evil:
Yeah, big discounts on eagerly-awaited new products would be a sign of
a) delusion,
b) the company being in dire straits, or
c) the Apocalypse.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

TVB wrote:
jrsjr wrote:The $800 off Stella section also clearly specifies that the deal is on the 2-stroke Stellas so all you dreamers can forget getting $800 of the 4-stroke Stellas. :evil:
Yeah, big discounts on eagerly-awaited new products would be a sign of
a) delusion,
b) the company being in dire straits, or
c) the Apocalypse.
plus to awknowledge anything about the 4t's would imply that the 4ts would be here during this "sale" and I doubt they'd want the sale to be that open ended.

"the Apocalypse."

hehehe! :lol:
~Lovelandstella
EvilTweety

Post by EvilTweety »

So I wonder if this tweet from Philip this morning is related to this or the Stella 4t?
look to modernbuddy.com later today for an announcement from genuine. it was too long for facebook!
TVB

Post by TVB »

look to modernbuddy.com later today for an announcement from genuine. it was too long for facebook!
Is it "later today" yet? :|
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

TVB wrote:
Is it "later today" yet? :|
How 'bout now?

...or now?

Shoot. Still nothing.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
VoodooKitty

Post by VoodooKitty »

Dear Genuine Customers,

US regulatory agencies have expressed concerns over minor variances between production specifications and our first production run of the new Stella 4 stroke scooter.

We are returning the scooters to the factory to address the concerns.

These concerns are non-mechanical and have no effect on the emissions standards, the safety, or the operation of the Stella 4 stroke scooter.

We will provide more information regarding availability as we complete these tasks.

We know the delays encountered due to this issue have been a disappointment for the many dealers and consumers that were anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new Stella. It has been disappointing for Genuine as well. However, Genuine Scooters is always committed to following all laws, rules, and regulations to deliver the best scooters in the business. Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

Your friends at Genuine Scooters
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

$400 off 125
$800 off Stella

Okay so I am dumb (on this subject) and I need to run this by you guys to help me understand- because I can't seem to get my head around it
1.) Genuine lowers prices on scoots that the dealers sell
2.) the dealers then sell the scoots at a lowered price
3.) the dealers seem to get ripped off...?

does Genuine have like a "mail in rebate" or something to the dealers for selling those scooter during that time?
or is it a rebate to the new scooter owners? like a "buy at full price and get cash back from the manufacturer (or disctibutor as the case may be)" kind of thing?

what's to stop a dealer from selling them at full price (if they can find someone willing to do that) and the the dealer pocketing that $4-800? (which is also not really bad as dealers need all the money they can get right now; closings ect.)

otherwise if Genuine is NOT reimbursing the dealers, I don't see how it's fair...

and do they (the dealer or the customer) get reimbursed right away - or is it like 1 year later?

I am sorry I am so confused.

I hope that it's something like: Genuine is putting up their own money ($400 for every 125 sold, $500 for every international and blackjack sold, and $800 for every Stella sold) to encourage Dealers to sell more and to help buyers "buy". that way 3 parties win, Genuine, the dealers and the customers. it'd only be like an almost advertising expense for genuine.

but some part of me is thourally confused and thought that maybe they were just "lowering the national price" and demanding dealers collect less money and come out losing - but that doesn't make sense- does it?

I know this happenes all the time on cars and stuff too- but for some reason I woke up this morning with a headache and I could not get this little Conundrum out of my head!
I am so confused.

please help!
~Lovelandstella
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Lovelandstella wrote:I am so confused.
As rebates of this size would wipe out the entire dealer profit, I don't think you have to worry about Genuine telling their dealers to eat it. That would be the end of their dealer network. Like auto rebates, I expect this is resolved as a kickback to dealers on each scoot sold from stock and a reduced wholesale price for each additional scooter ordered from Genuine. After all, the point is to get rid of most of the backlog of 2009/2010 scooters by winter. Stop worrying - go for a ride.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Edited- added more stuff.
Dooglas wrote:
Lovelandstella wrote:I am so confused.
...I expect this is resolved as a kickback to dealers on each scoot sold from stock and a reduced wholesale price for each additional scooter ordered from Genuine. ...
ah ha! I see. so the dealers don't get the $$ unless they not only Sell a scoot but then also Order another one? is that correct?
that's interesting if so.

I guess I expected it'd be a per bike thing- otherwise they might not see the real benefit untill they actually order a new one for each one sold.
and further, a shop sitting on say - i dunno- 5 stellas for the past year or so- might not necessarily want to order 5 more after they finally sell those...
I really know nothing about this side of it - I am just trying to expand my mind.
~Lovelandstella
rondothemidget

Post by rondothemidget »

jrsjr wrote:

$400 off 125
$800 off Stella

To be clear, the site says "Save up to" the amounts quoted above. The $800 off Stella section also clearly specifies that the deal is on the 2-stroke Stellas so all you dreamers can forget getting $800 of the 4-stroke Stellas. :evil:
I am curious what "up to" means. That implies a sliding scale. For instance, does one have to buy a fully dressed scooter to get the discount? Buy 2 scooters to get $500 off?
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

RE Manufacturers in trouble. Just look at Suzuki. They only imported a few 2010 models to clear out inventory. It's worked. There are lots of 2011 models coming over from Hamamatsu. What Genuine is doing seems to make good sense to me. The fact they haven't been doing it up till now tells me they are probably in pretty good shape relatively.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

rondothemidget wrote:
jrsjr wrote:

$400 off 125
$800 off Stella

I am curious what "up to" means. That implies a sliding scale. For instance, does one have to buy a fully dressed scooter to get the discount? Buy 2 scooters to get $500 off?
I think it's more likely that some of the discount may be at dealers' discretion.
TVB

Post by TVB »

The way this probably works is that Genuine will give dealers a credit on their account for every bill of sale they submit on a qualifying scooter. As always it's up to the dealer to negotiate the final out-the-door price with the buyer, so how much the buyer saves depends on that. But since it's public information, most dealers will probably pass along most (if not all) of the savings to the buyer. This puts some pinch on the dealer, because I doubt Genuine is writing actual checks for the discount; the dealer has to buy new merchandise and use up that credit to actually "get" the missing $800 (or whatever). But unless the dealer is doing poorly enough that they're trying to stock less inventory (which any smart retailer wants to avoid if possible), they're almost certain to order a new scoot to replace what they sell. This is about clearing out Genuine's inventory and refreshing dealers'.