Kilts

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

stolley

Kilts

Post by stolley »

Lately I have been pondering the idea of wearing my kilt on Stravinsky (red buddy). I want to keep myself safe when I ride so what can I do to make it work? Also, my wife worries about aerodynamics and the kilt-ness. Chime in, I'm curious.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Well, that would depend on what you plan to wear under the kilt. :rofl: it can get pretty drafty. Not sure if freezing body parts off is "safe"
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I've tried wearing my kilt on both the Buddy and Stella. I can wear them on the Stella, but not the Buddy. Aerodynamically, the wind blows the kilt way too much for my comfort level on the Buddy (Plus getting an "indecent exposure" ticket doesn't sound like fun."

One of the other riders in our club does wear kilts on his Buddy. I think it's because my legs are longer than his.

The only way to know is to give it a whirl

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
TVB

Post by TVB »

Stormswift wrote:Well, that would depend on what you plan to wear under the kilt.
"Nothing is worn under a Scottish kilt; everything is in perfect working order."
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Sidesaddle!

If you really need that much attention, a kilt's probably not THAT much less safe than cotton shorts, but I for one don't wear shorts when I'm riding (generally.) I'd make sure it was a leather or kevlar armored kilt, and wear leather underpants: If you drop the bike and slide, the kilt won't stay between your butt and the road.

What you need is like a hockey 'fighting strap' to connect the back of the kilt to the front. But I guess that's cheating. That'd be a skilt.

Then you could maybe wear knee slider pads and good boots, but I don't know how those would tie in with the kilt fashion-wise, and you'd have some bizarre tan lines.

POCphil is a kilt aficionado (and a scooterist. and a flasher), maybe he has some tips.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

http://www.rei.com/product/795566

This one has a snap like noise is talking about. One of the reviews says it comes unsnapped too easily, but certainly worth checking out.

And, yeah... I guess safety in a kilt is parade speeds on parade-speeds-worthy roads.
prrfan53

Kilts

Post by prrfan53 »

Try cutting off a pair of "bikie tighties" No ind expo ticket there! My feeling is I spend too much on my custom kilts to risk damage from dropping the ride! Our clan is MacPherson. ???yours
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

A friend of mine is into the Utili-kilts(They're made semi locally in Seattle too)
And many of their models have "Modesty" snaps that'd probably make this doable.
Vic

Post by Vic »

+1 on the utilikilts. They are disappointingly modest (from my perspective, at least. :wink: )

-v
Vic

Post by Vic »

Oh, I almost forgot, when wearing a skirt on my scooter I like to put my Corazzo "Lap Apron" (I call it a scooter skirt) on top. It helps with the draft, keeps my garments where I want them to be (down around my legs as opposed to say, flying up over my head or somesuch) and is super easy to put on and take off. Not to mention if you get caught in the rain you will still arrive mostly dry and comfy.

I made some skirt weights that also work very well, I got some of those clips that they make for attaching your work ID badge to your clothes and I used some decorative rocks that I found in the bead area of the craft store that already had holes drilled through and used some wire to attach the decorative rock to the clip, hook the clip on to the hem of the garment so that the weight will pull the garment down between my legs so that the bulk of the garment will be held down there.

Kilts are typically shorter than I wear my skirts, but it might be something you could try, if I am wearing a full skirt I put a bungee cord around my knees to keep the skirt gathered around my knees, this keeps it from flying anywhere I don't want it to go and keeps it down very well. When I went to a prom last September and wore a floor length gown that was quite full with a crinoline underneath I just put the bungee around my legs, at the knees, and it worked beautifully for my midnight scoot back home again (about a 30 minute trip).

Now, as far as safety, no, this is not approved riding gear in anyone's book, let's not kid ourselves. It is a personal decision, just as my choice to occasionally ride in heels, fully aware that if something were to happen I would have no protection and nobody to blame but myself. My boots are safest, just as armored pants are safer than a kilt or skirt or whatever. Personal choice.

-v
Keys

Post by Keys »

To "motor-vate" in my kilt, I simply built a carrier out of 3" PVC tubing. I roll the kilt around a smaller tube, wrap it in tissue paper and slide it into the bigger tube. Seal the end, strap it on and VOILA! Kilt where I want it, when I want it. I carry it to Highland Games when I am competing at one that's not too far away.

--Keys

P.S. If you wish to wear it while riding, perhaps a heavier sporran and longer sporran belt would be in order...
"Life without music would Bb"
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Kaos wrote:A friend of mine is into the Utili-kilts(They're made semi locally in Seattle too)
And many of their models have "Modesty" snaps that'd probably make this doable.
http://www.utilikilts.com/company/produ ... /survival/
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

A kilt? Wow. The warmer weather really brings out a different side of people doesn't it :) Now if someone would make a DOT approved kilt to go with my DOT approved flip flops I'd be in! :)

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
stolley

Post by stolley »

I live in Spokane. Not a stranger to Utilikilts. But DOT approved flip flops? Really?
brape

Post by brape »

I would like to point out that someone had posted about riding in a skirt they would be told that it was a bad call. As such I am going to say riding in a kilt is a bad call. :D

At any rate a kilt should be lose enough that you won't have a problem getting your feet down, just watch out for air blowing things about. You wouldn't want to get a ticket for indecent exposure.
mr bill

Post by mr bill »

Hello Stolley,

I stow the Kilt till I arrive at the event.
Simple to put on --- and safer.

Best of luck on your decision.

Cheers
TVB

Post by TVB »

I'd listen to the guy with the Scottish national flag as his avatar. :)
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

I'm definitely in the "Stow and Go" camp. I've worn the kilt on a number of rides and the "Blow Up" factor is just too unmanageable on anything other than a full 9 yarder.

You can tuck and stash and sweep it under your thighs, but all you'll end up doing is ruining your pleats and it'll blow up anyway.

And if your wearing anything under your kilt, you might as well just put on a dress and high heels too.
Attachments
mt500kilt2.jpg
mt500kilt2.jpg (33.48 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
mt500kiltbig.jpg
mt500kiltbig.jpg (56.75 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
Tanuki

Post by Tanuki »

I sometimes wear full length victorian style skirts when I'm riding my scooter.
When I do this, I use a clothes pin type clip to hold the skirt in place and keep it from getting involved with the engine.

The clips I use are like the ones on jumper cables, except that they are only about an inch long. They are really strong, and I've never had a problem with them slipping.

If you are looking for general safety gear, you could get something like these:
http://tinyurl.com/2a3brc5
Syd

Post by Syd »

pocphil wrote:You can tuck and stash and sweep it under your thighs, but all you'll end up doing is ruining your pleats and it'll blow up anyway...
For a second there, I really thought you were talking about something else.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Syd wrote:
pocphil wrote:You can tuck and stash and sweep it under your thighs, but all you'll end up doing is ruining your pleats and it'll blow up anyway...
For a second there, I really thought you were talking about something else.
It doesn't matter what he was referring to, it still applies. It's also still pretty good advice to follow.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
michelle_7728

Kilts

Post by michelle_7728 »

Ah! So PocPhil is the one starting some of those wildfires! :lol:

That grass looked pretty dry there--I was wondering if he set his kilt afire when I looked at that first picture!
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

I like the idea of the id badge clip weights. I'll have to give that a try.

Remember kids, The difference between a skirt and a kilt is that you wear underwear with a skirt.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Kilt joke (please read it with a heavy brogue!):

Q: 'ow many birds can ya fit under a Scotsman's kilt?

A: As many as will fit on the perch, laddy!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
fobbish

Post by fobbish »

I think scooterists get enough grief already. I'm glad that you are secure in your own manhood enough to consider doing two things that many people see as sexually questionable. I wouldn't be surprised if some redneck asshole sees that as an invitation to throw a starbucks at you or slam you with a car door. So, my advice: Don't do it.

I would also like to add that it is not my opinion that kilts or scooters are worthy of use by a grown man. I am a scooterist after all. I'm just open-minded enough to see how many others think. Playing devil's advocate of a sort.
Last edited by fobbish on Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

fobbish wrote:I think scooterists get enough grief already. I'm glad that you are secure in your own manhood enough to consider doing two things that many people consider sexually questionable, but I wouldn't be surprised if some redneck asshole sees that as an invitation to throw a starbucks at you or slam you with a car door. So, my advice: Don't do it.
That's why I carry bricks. :twisted:
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

"Redneck asshole throwing starbucks" So, he'd be a hipster-redneck-asshole?
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pocphil wrote:"Redneck asshole throwing starbucks" So, he'd be a hipster-redneck-asshole?
Hipsters only drink locally-roasted certified organic coffees from plantations with good labor policies and countries with positive human rights and environmental records. These coffees are way too expensive to be throwing out windows!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Dip bottle, then? :bleh:
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Lostmycage wrote:Dip bottle, then? :bleh:
That is just gross. I'd almost rather have a traveler's friend tossed at me. But just almost. Not really.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

A she wee? (A little top gear joke)
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Attachments
no 'flappage'
no 'flappage'
modesty.jpg (25.21 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
maximum capacity is 20 Bottles of the beverage of your choice
maximum capacity is 20 Bottles of the beverage of your choice
utilikilt.jpg (14.15 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
TVB

Post by TVB »

Oh. My.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Lostmycage wrote:Dip bottle, then? :bleh:
Yup. Don't ask how I know. Three cheers for bad aim!!
dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

ericalm wrote:
pocphil wrote:"Redneck asshole throwing starbucks" So, he'd be a hipster-redneck-asshole?
Hipsters only drink locally-roasted certified organic coffees from plantations with good labor policies and countries with positive human rights and environmental records. These coffees are way too expensive to be throwing out windows!
LMAO, yesterday we stopped by a place to grab some coffee. I like good coffee and my fiance is a barista/manager but we found out quickly we are not as hardcore as some. The place looked normal, & we had to wait 20 mins for the music shop so we stopped in "Lux"
You would never believe it! As we opened the door, (it wasn't our fault) the sunlight came beaming in this semi lit room filled with the steady sounds of keyboards roaring at WOT. Pale people literally grunting and ducking behind the screens of laptops to avoid the painful rays of natural light.
Slowly and cautiously we made our way through the den,mentally kicking myself for not bringing a crucifix. We get up to a man who looks at us, sadly, like we are IRS Agents, I then felt like a tourist. The coffee machine was amazing, looked like something out of the 40's or 50's. The barista was playing with shot glasses between his fingers, like a poker shark and his chips, (seriously) waiting for the machine.
I ordered an Americano, my lady the same. Some of the best beans I ever drank. I really want to go back but I don't have a laptop with an apple on it. :?
BlueMark

Warning - riding in a kilt could make you very popular!

Post by BlueMark »

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T3xdzo2rI84?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T3xdzo2rI84?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

I am going back tomorrow, I plan to open and shut the door in one swift move, all while playing on my nephews I pod touch. (crazy enough to work)