Any suggestions on where to buy a new belt?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KidDynomite

Any suggestions on where to buy a new belt?

Post by KidDynomite »

I'm certain my belt must be going. I just don't have the umpf I once had. I'm also sitting right around 7,500 miles.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner Dottie, a REBEL.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

search please

Here you go
topic1833.html
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

ScooterTrash wrote:search please
No offense, but I'm not a moron.

I already found that thread and if you look, you'll notice that I've posted within it. I am looking for EVERYONE who's bought one's suggestion.

I've already gone to the mrp website within that thread and cannot find prices or where to "check-out" with my cart. That is why I've started a new thread on it!
Scootin_in_La

Post by Scootin_in_La »

I just looked on the MRP site as well. It says you have to be a dealer to order from them, and you have to register, etc. So you probably can't find the checkout unless you register and log-in. I also looked at the other linked site from the same reply, Scootertronics, and it was easy to navigate. Good luck with your search.

Jody
"Follow your heart, unless it leads you someplace stupid." -- Jiffy Lube on Veterans Blvd., New Orleans, LA
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

:cry: a little louder will ya, if i was being an a**hole I wouldn't have tried to help. Im not going to go through old posts to see if you chimed in on them
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

ScooterTrash wrote::cry: a little louder will ya.
Not going to hijack my own thread to have a discussion with you, but 1) I wasn't crying 2) your "help" wasn't any help at all 3) you "helped" with a massive attitude 4) you completely misunderstood why I started a new thread 5) you're new to this board and creating an image as a jerk right off the bat. Since you've just bought your Buddy, I'm certain you haven't had need to replace the belt yet. So, your opinion wasn't even the one I was looking for.

Looks like one person understands what I'm talking about on that site.

I HAVE searched tons of sites for belts and have come up with several options, but having NEVER dealt with any of these sites, I'm looking for recommendations either for or against. I know society has come to trying to get other people to do their work for them, but that's not what I'm doing.

We are suppossed to be a community of synergistic knowledge. I'm trying to gain scooter knowledge WHILE learning from others who have more knowledge than me and sharing what little knowledge I've gained with newbies.

Thanks, but no thanks to your suggestions of wiping my tears away. Go try to bully elsewhere. This isn't the board for people with chips on their shoulders.
DO3

Post by DO3 »

KidDynomite wrote:
5) you're new to this board and creating an image as a jerk right off the bat.
I second that motion. You obviously haven't been on this board long enough to get the vibe of this board. Helpful, friendly, etc. We've put up with tons of repeat questions and truly dumb questions without responses like that. Mellow out man, this is a nice friendly scooter board not NASIOC.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

KidDynomite wrote:
Not going to hijack my own thread to have a discussion with you, but 1) I wasn't crying 2) your "help" wasn't any help at all 3) you "helped" with a massive attitude 4) you completely misunderstood why I started a new thread 5) you're new to this board and creating an image as a jerk right off the bat. Since you've just bought your Buddy, I'm certain you haven't had need to replace the belt yet. So, your opinion wasn't even the one I was looking for.

Looks like one person understands what I'm talking about on that site.

I HAVE searched tons of sites for belts and have come up with several options, but having NEVER dealt with any of these sites, I'm looking for recommendations either for or against. I know society has come to trying to get other people to do their work for them, but that's not what I'm doing.

We are suppossed to be a community of synergistic knowledge. I'm trying to gain scooter knowledge WHILE learning from others who have more knowledge than me and sharing what little knowledge I've gained with newbies.

Thanks, but no thanks to your suggestions of wiping my tears away. Go try to bully elsewhere. This isn't the board for people with chips on their shoulders.
Haha, you seem to have the chip. I said please. I don't care if i'm a "noob" i'm sorry if I hurt your feelings
DO3

Post by DO3 »

ScooterTrash wrote: I don't care if i'm a "noob"
There is a difference between being a noob and acting like a noob.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Were you going to replace the belt yourself?
Or were you going to have a shop do it?
Only asking because your local dealer should be able to get one quickly or are you trying go to a specific aftermarket?
Whatever the case please keep us posted because I’m curious how your scoot changes after the belt change out.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Here you go
topic1833.html
ScooterTrash is right. All your answers are in that thread.

The MRP site can only show you what is available - you should have your dealer order it for you. Your dealer can also order you the correct OEM part. Or try Scootertronics - they appear to resell MRP products on the web. Some other dealers may be willing to order MRP parts for your and ship them, so call around.

-Mark
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

BlueMark wrote:

Here you go
topic1833.html
ScooterTrash is right. All your answers are in that thread.

The MRP site can only show you what is available - you should have your dealer order it for you. Your dealer can also order you the correct OEM part. Or try Scootertronics - they appear to resell MRP products on the web. Some other dealers may be willing to order MRP parts for your and ship them, so call around.

-Mark
Thank you :wink:
Last edited by ScooterTrash on Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

I'm sorry if I ruffled some feathers, I wasn't trying to be an ass. I'm not going to continue this post war. I'm sorry to who I offended and I'll let you know if I find any info on the belts
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

BlueMark wrote:All your answers are in that thread.

The MRP site can only show you what is available - you should have your dealer order it for you.
Again, I'm trying to learn to be somewhat self-sufficient on this scooter. I want to learn to do it for myself. I intend to BUY the proper belt (preferably a durable material) and learn to install it myself. I would rather learn to do most of the periodical service myself. If a belt is going to go out on me every 7,000-10,000 miles, I wanna be able to do it.

THUS, I'm asking the advice of experienced scooterists. I'm guessing modernbuddy.com was a bad place to ask. Seems people are too inexperienced with mechanisms to actually have experience in this area. I should obviously stick to my local gear-head thread.

However, for those of you interested, I'll keep you posted on what I do and what it's effect is on the scoot.

For those of you who'd rather have a sybling rivalry with perfect strangers, don't sweat this thread.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

KidDynomite wrote: For those of you who'd rather have a sybling rivalry with perfect strangers, don't sweat this thread.
Sure Kid.

Anyway, how to install a new belt is pretty easy, but you need the right tools - at least an impact wrench. If you don't have one run down to your local Harbor Freight and buy a cheap Chinese one for 40 bucks.

This page has some good photo illustrated directions for doing a CVT upgrade on a TNG Venice. CVT's are all pretty much alike. You only need to follow part of the instructions. Remove the CVT cover. You only need to remove the Variator (the round part on the left). When you pull it off you'll be able to remove the belt. Also the variator pieces will at some point fall apart and onto the ground with the rollers living up to their name as they scatter across the floor. This is expected and not harmful, so prepare for it and don't get worried. After you retrieve them is the perfect time to inspect them for flat spots and wear - if it is more than minor you might consider ordering replacements.

To put the new belt on, or to replace the old one, you need to put the back portion of the variator back in place, then loop the belt around the clutch between the plates. You will note that it is completely impossible to fit the belt over the variator shaft now. Don't despair, all you need to finish the job is Popeye fore arms. Grip the clutch plate (cone actually) and pull it apart while stuffing the belt as far down between the cones as you can. Once you get a little bit stuffed down there you can jam the rest of it into place along the half circumference. Now you have enough play to fit the other end over the variator shaft. Replace the other half of the variator. Put everything back exactly as you took it apart. Use Blue Loctite to be safe.

Done.

BoneGirl

New belt, etc

Post by BoneGirl »

I just replaced my belt, rollers and air filter. Parts from the scooter dealer were $35.94 for the V-belt, $9.00 for 6 rollers and $13.95 for the air filter. I did this at 9,400 miles. It made a world of difference in performance. Took about an hour and a half to do it ourselves.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Looking at the parts that were replaced was there any obvious wear?
In particular I was wondering about the “rollers” did they look as if they needed to be replaced (not sure what bad rollers look like, for that matter I don’t even know what good rollers look like). Understandably the belt and filter will appear to be used.
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

Belt is obvious wear when looked at. I think the Manual says to replace at 6,000 miles. Rollers should be round and they become square-ish. This is in the Maintenance section as well. But it really was unreal what a difference it made in performance once replaced. I was mad it took so long to get and Genuine suggested I stock up on parts since I'm a high mileage rider. Oh, pleeeeez!!! I explained to him it was easy if you're made of money.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

rajron wrote: In particular I was wondering about the “rollers” did they look as if they needed to be replaced (not sure what bad rollers look like, for that matter I don’t even know what good rollers look like).
From GirlBike:

Also check for flat spots.
rajron

Post by rajron »

OK!
Thanx for the inputs – I will soon be replacing those consumable parts – and I will check the wife’s scoot as well.
Oh one last question: BoneGirl did you replace the rollers with stock weights?
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

rajron wrote:OK!

Oh one last question: BoneGirl did you replace the rollers with stock weights?
Yep! 11g
KidDynomite

Post by KidDynomite »

BoneGirl wrote: Yep! 11g
The heavier the weight the better the top end right?
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

KidDynomite wrote:
BoneGirl wrote: Yep! 11g
The heavier the weight the better the top end right?
Yes but it will affect your acceleration. 11g is actually just a bit lighter than stock (11.5 g) so 11 or 12 is ideal. Hope I helped this time :wink: