stereo

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jijifer

stereo

Post by jijifer »

folks. i can't stress enough how much more fun scooting is when you've got tunes to go with it. I like to pretend what I'm seeing while scooting is the video to what ever I'm listening to.

I paid TWICE as much as this for my exact set. These guys offer a 1 yr warranty and are helping with my warranty issue even though I didn't buy from them. HOW AWESOME is THAT customer service.

I wear a fulll face helmet and can hear this stereo with my prima pipe roaring down the road at 60mph. Now, everyone else can hear it too but that means you can hear traffic and such too (harder to do if you're wearing headphones in your helmet)

So if you're in the market to rockout on your scoot, consider purchasing this stereo here:

http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/SHKC ... agodynrwKg

If you're electrically inclined, it's an easy install. The shop charges 1.5hrs so it's not super duper easy. It's wired directly to the battery. That means your scoot doesn't have t be on to play it BUT you have to remember to turn it off, too.

I L-O-V-E my stereo. It was the very first accessory I had installed. I can't believe this seller is helping me with my warranty when I didn't buy it from them - they are just that nice! I just wanted to get contact info for Shark so I could try to work it out myself.

Life is good!
digital-entropy

Post by digital-entropy »

The page won't load!! :x I'll have to try again later.

Thank for posting though -- My curiosity was piqued when you mentioned a stereo in another post.
bunny

Post by bunny »

Woot had a neat speaker thingy for 3.5mm MP3 players the other day. I can't remember what they were called but I remember thinking they wouldn't be that difficult to hook up to the scooter. About the diameter of the speedo, two or three inches thick.

I wear earbuds.
Yes, it's fast. No, you can't ride it.

rajron

Post by rajron »

I checked out that link – stereo would be a very cool accessory.
I’m not sure what I’m looking at, is the control panel part of the amp?
Can you just hook up any I-Pod?
Where did you put: I-Pod, speakers, amp, on your scooter?
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I have seen speakers that hooked onto the buddy's mirror stems and an ipod could hook to it. I prefer to just concentrate on the sound of cars around me and the wind.
rajron

Post by rajron »

Yea, I think it would be unsafe (just me) with earphones, but speakers on a long trip might be fun.
digital-entropy

Post by digital-entropy »

Yeah, I cringe at the thought of wearing earbuds or whenever I see someone wearing them while driving. So far I haven't seen any scooterists doing it, just some cyclists, but it's still really unnerving.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I listened to tunes for the first time on the Amerivespa trip. I have to say, I loved it. 1200 miles would have been waaaaay long without tunes. I found I could still hear outside sounds just fine. That said, we were not riding on congested city streets. I don't listen to music when just riding in the city. But on longer rides, tunes sure are nice :)

I just use my iPod, the stock earbuds, and a Monster iPod Remote.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
carreybat

Post by carreybat »

jijifer, weren't these the ones that started to rust? are there any other problems with them in the rain? (not that i would want to do so but i have gotten caught in some storms before)
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

These speakers have an attachment that you screw your mirrors through. The speakers are waterproof. The amp is not ( I don't think) you can mount the amp anywhere like in the pet carrier but mine is under the dash where many folks shove water bottles. The remote is on my handle bars so I only ever access the amp to plug in my iPod.

My aux plug came loose in my accident- my iPod was attached and got crushed. So there's a good reason to mount in the pet carrier. Still. I love this stereo. Yeah my grills started to rust but they are easy to get off if iwas so inclined.

I won't wear headphones. This plays my iPod (any thing that works in an aux Jack) and I still hear traffic fine. It's like listening to your stereo in the car.

This is great set for $90. Loads of people ask me about my stereo when I ride. They sound great! So much fun!!
db

Post by db »

Does it have a set of RCA inputs?
Syd

Post by Syd »

Does it have a PHONO input?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
goldscott

Post by goldscott »

How have these speakers held up after extended use?

I'm just about to buy the set!
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

goldscott wrote:How have these speakers held up after extended use?

I'm just about to buy the set!
Yes, the remote control didn't work after about a year and I got a different stereo but I regret getting this other one. The one in the link is WAY better quality than the one I bought with the cone speakers.

I don't know if it's the new stereo, the way my shop had to splice wires to get it in the pet carrier OR if the pet carrier just gets too hot but my new stereo has all sorts of electrical problems. Sometimes won't turn on, others it won't turn off and my favorite is when it constantly cycles through every of MP3, AUX, and FM and won't stop. so I can NOT recommend this set:

http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/SHKM ... emote.html
goldscott

Post by goldscott »

Thanks for the review.

I bought what you originally linked to, the $90 set ($85 in black).

As an engineer (electrical), I don't think I'll have much of a difficult time installing it, and I should be able to service it without much issue. I just want something loud and durable.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

goldscott wrote:I just want something loud and durable.
Forget it, my mother-in-law would never fit in the pet carrier.
Lovelandstella

how to:

Post by Lovelandstella »

@ OP
do you mind posting a pick of this set up on your scoot? (if you still have it set up)
I really like to see how it looks all set up. I am 90% sure I'm gonna do this!
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Not sure about the drain on little Buddy's battery but that system gets some great reviews!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

Tocsik wrote:Not sure about the drain on little Buddy's battery but that system gets some great reviews!
I've never had any battery issues but it is hardwired to the battery so you got to remember to turn it off. I ride everyday year round. I suppose if you have to store for the winter, unhooking from the battery would be wise. I also don't run just the stereo without the scooter running UNLESS it's waxing, polishing and cleaning time so then it's never more than about 2 hours. My battery is stock and has nearly 16k miles on it :D

I'm gonna go back to my original and just try to get a new remote. The way the speakers angle up on those originals makes it sound better than my cones. I'd like to have it mounted in the pet carrier, too, since mounting it under the left side means not much storage in the bin.... If you do mount in the pet carrier, splice the wires so they can easily be unhooked when your shop needs to do any engine work.

It's possible to reach high speeds that make it hard to hear this stereo but I think it's got to be windy to boot. But you do need to turn this thing WAY up, too, so when you pull into places be quick on the mute :) I wear a full face so if you're wearing a lesser complete helmet that may make a difference.

I never had a single complaint about that original stereo. I loved it. My remote stopped working after several severe rainstorms and I think while the remote was MOSTLY waterproof it wasn't totally and that proved too much. I couldn't turn the stereo up or down from it or off so that's why I started looking at all the options and likes what I thought was way to control my ipod from the remote on this new crappy model. NOPE.

Enjoy the stereo. I love scooting to music. I always imagine it's the video that i'm seeing!
jijifer

Re: how to:

Post by jijifer »

Lovelandstella wrote:@ OP
do you mind posting a pick of this set up on your scoot? (if you still have it set up)
Here you can see the speakers on the mirror stems and just under that blinker, tucked into the bin is the stereo I'd say it's like 4"x4"x2" then under the speaker closest to the camera is a itty bitty remote control velcro-ed down

this is my only known picture of it mounted in the bin:

and this is my favorite of the speakers from the front:

Lovelandstella

Re: how to:

Post by Lovelandstella »

jijifer wrote:
Lovelandstella wrote:@ OP
Here you can see the speakers on the mirror stems...
this is perfect and encouraging! you are awesome!
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

cute little doggy :wink:
nateandcourt

Post by nateandcourt »

those are pretty nice, at what speeds do you start to not hear the music.

i am currently using a set of usb powered laptop speakers, they only dray .5 amps with a usb adapter in the accessory socket
"Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of. "

Douglas Adams
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

nateandcourt wrote:those are pretty nice, at what speeds do you start to not hear the music.

i am currently using a set of usb powered laptop speakers, they only dray .5 amps with a usb adapter in the accessory socket
I got to be indicating about 60 before they are harder to hear and definitely depends on the conditions - is it windy, am I in traffic? Windy and in other cars moving that fast, sometimes I can't hear. It's not "smart" that is it doesn't adjust for recording so some songs are just recorded softer and that drove me NUTS when my remote stopped working since I couldn't turn it up with out bending down.
nateandcourt

Post by nateandcourt »

nice,

one other question,

Can they be placed in any other position it looks as if my windshield would get in the way....which i am not above ripping off for some good tunes. 8)

edit to add what I am using, older pic that i have posted before. it is bolted in place lol so ignore my zipties. :roll:
6 dollar usb power adapter
7 dollar speakers

really only good for in town use sound wise and rain would destroy the speakers.
Attachments
gps.jpg
gps.jpg (180.48 KiB) Viewed 2212 times
Last edited by nateandcourt on Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of. "

Douglas Adams
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

nateandcourt wrote:nice,

one other question,

Can they be placed in any other position it looks as if my windshield would get in the way....which i am not above ripping off for some good tunes. 8)
I don't know. I've only ever mounted on the mirrors at the base where they screw in.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

cool stereo! too bad i wont be able to hear them with my scooter going 60mph :(
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

gearhead wrote:cool stereo! too bad i wont be able to hear them with my scooter going 60mph :(
I wouldn't say I can't hear them at that speed. I'd say that's when they are starting to be hard to hear especially if it's also windy. Maybe only when it's windy. The street I use for work is 55mph and that means everyone is going 65-70 in the cars and I'm full throttle. I always hear my stereo on that street.

now, I wear a fullface so lots of wind noise is already cut out for me. These speakers are angled straight at your chin so straight to your ears. A design I didn't appreciate until I got the new stereo (thought I could control my ipod from the remote) where the speakers are aimed at my chest.

Either way. I got this stereo after my first 40mile scoot to the city. I wasn't planning on it but got the shop and said there's NO WAY I can scoot home without music. Best impulse decision I ever made and my most favorite mod - even better than the 161cc kit and NCY rear shock. Maybe my crash bars are second since they've saved my scooter some damage a time or two. My kit would be my 3rd favorite addition. :)
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Syd wrote:Does it have a PHONO input?
:rofl:
BootScootin'FireFighter

audio headphones

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

I've read good things and bad about scooter mounted audio systems. i have also in the past used earbuds inside my helmet for out of city longer trips. I don't want to mount anything that may be cumbersome or potentially attract thieves so I've dismissed the speaker mounts. I also don't like the in ear buds which drown out too much peripheral sound and can be very uncomfortable after extended wear.

http://helmetaudio.com/khxc/index.php?a ... 028265cp64

I saw these helmet speaker inserts and figured I'd consider that route. Has anyone tried these or can suggest something similar?
jijifer

Re: audio headphones

Post by jijifer »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:I've read good things and bad about scooter mounted audio systems. i have also in the past used earbuds inside my helmet for out of city longer trips. I don't want to mount anything that may be cumbersome or potentially attract thieves so I've dismissed the speaker mounts. I also don't like the in ear buds which drown out too much peripheral sound and can be very uncomfortable after extended wear.

http://helmetaudio.com/khxc/index.php?a ... 028265cp64

I saw these helmet speaker inserts and figured I'd consider that route. Has anyone tried these or can suggest something similar?
I really feel for you all that have to worry so much about theft. Carlsbad, CA is the FIRST place I've lived in my adult life that I don't.

Those look a lot like the "thumper" ones my local shop sells. My friend who rode to Lake Tahoe used them he said they sounded good and he liked they laid flat - that they were comfy in his helmet but in the end he only put in 1 so he could hear around him, too.

Now, if you search this forum, Eric has and explanation how he fashioned something similar himself. And Skootz rocks SOMETHING in his helmet.

My helmet (HJC IS MAX) now comes with a bluetooth compatible lining (compatible with the latest chatterbox) and maybe MAYBE for christmas next year I'll do something like that: new helmet and chatterbox. Since I'm scooter only, it would be good to be about to answer my phone and or listen to music in my helmet.

That said, I went the speaker route because of how I need to hear what's around me, with the remote on the stereo, I can mute it instantly as easily as I can honk my horn. Before I got the stereo, I had this thing for my phone mounted to my helmet, so I could answer my phone (not one that also played the music from my phone) it was both voice activated OR push a button. Problem with voice activation was that the wind noise could activate it. Hanging up didn't seem to work unless i pushed the button. It was cumbersome and awkward when I needed to push the button (but that also could have been because i mounted it on the right side like a dummy). Long story short. I decided early on I won't want to reach too far from the handlebars to adjust anything. My exception is flipping my helmet up or down but that's one hand and works every time.

I can scoot forever so long as I have music. Could be the pisces in me. But I hope you find something that works and you don't feel like will make your scoot a target for thieves!
VoodooKitty

Post by VoodooKitty »

I wanted to let y'all know that these speakers are on ebay from the same company as above for only $54.91 +free shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 746wt_1139

My boyfriend just got his in the mail. Now to figure how to install :?

Thanks for the recommendation, jijifer!
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

ScootLemont wrote:
Syd wrote:Does it have a PHONO input?
:rofl:
whats so funny i was gnna ask :oops: that so i can plug in my reel to reel
goldscott

Post by goldscott »

I installed mine with just a small bit of hassle. I'll do a photo write-up if you'd like.
VoodooKitty

Post by VoodooKitty »

goldscott wrote:I installed mine with just a small bit of hassle. I'll do a photo write-up if you'd like.
Looks like he has gotten them pretty much installed, just trying to figure out how to hide all the wires. Any thoughts?
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

Take a look in the Blur forum under the Upgrades and Accessories thread. DaveLHunter did a SWEET wiring/speaker job on his Blur220.
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

jijifer wrote: It's not "smart" that is it doesn't adjust for recording so some songs are just recorded softer and that drove me NUTS when my remote stopped working since I couldn't turn it up with out bending down.
Music volume changes drive me crazy too. I suggest this free software:
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/index.php Just go to the 'downloads' section.

I've been using it for years and it does exactly what it's supposed to do
-level out the volume of music taken from different sources.
PasadenaSue

Post by PasadenaSue »

VoodooKitty, do you have a part number for the set your boyfriend got off of eBay? The specs don't quite match what Jijifer had posted so I would like to determine which set I want to buy.

Thanks!!

PasadenaSue
jijifer

Post by jijifer »

One reason I recommended this specific vendor was for the 1 year warranty. They are a good bunch. N2Tattoos speaker broke (I think when his bike got knocked over) and they got him a new one. That may have cost $$, come to think of it but when my original stereo aux plug broke they send me the amp for like $15. It was super cheap. I'll be invoking my 1 year warranty on the new (cone shaped speakers) and they said they'd ship me another one. So They have good customer service and will help you if you have any problems. At my shop, unfortunately doesn't have spare parts so my only option there is to buy a new stereo. No thanks :)

make sure any you get has a remote. I think this company sells another one that doesn't have a remote and well, that just didn't work for me at all. I just want to be able to adjust the volume or mute it on a moment's notice without having to more my hand from the handlebar or take my eyes off the road. That's key for me.
VoodooKitty

Post by VoodooKitty »

PasadenaSue wrote:VoodooKitty, do you have a part number for the set your boyfriend got off of eBay? The specs don't quite match what Jijifer had posted so I would like to determine which set I want to buy.

Thanks!!

PasadenaSue
He ordered the ones from this page in black:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 746wt_1139

Here is a picture of the box and there is a sticker on the side of the box that says: 726936551

The set installed w/o any trouble and it works great!

Good luck!
Attachments
shark.jpg
shark.jpg (136.1 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
Hellvis

Post by Hellvis »

I have just ordered this system from Shark as well.

Let's see how it's installation and function afterwards. I hope it doesn't drain the battery. Anyone had battery problems with the stereo installed???

http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/SHKM ... emote.html
Triage

Re: stereo

Post by Triage »

jijifer wrote:folks. i can't stress enough how much more fun scooting is when you've got tunes to go with it. I like to pretend what I'm seeing while scooting is the video to what ever I'm listening to.

I paid TWICE as much as this for my exact set. These guys offer a 1 yr warranty and are helping with my warranty issue even though I didn't buy from them. HOW AWESOME is THAT customer service.

I wear a fulll face helmet and can hear this
car dvd players with my prima pipe roaring down the road at 60mph. Now, everyone else can hear it too but that means you can hear traffic and such too (harder to do if you're wearing headphones in your helmet)

So if you're in the market to rockout on your scoot, consider purchasing this stereo here:

http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/SHKC ... agodynrwKg

If you're electrically inclined, it's an easy install. The shop charges 1.5hrs so it's not super duper easy. It's wired directly to the battery. That means your scoot doesn't have t be on to play it BUT you have to remember to turn it off, too.

I L-O-V-E my stereo. It was the very first accessory I had installed. I can't believe this seller is helping me with my warranty when I didn't buy it from them - they are just that nice! I just wanted to get contact info for Shark so I could try to work it out myself.

Life is good!
Yes it is fun when you have music while driving scooter. Even I will try to an audio player now.