So here’s my “waiting” solution - plan B.

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lovelandstella

So here’s my “waiting” solution - plan B.

Post by Lovelandstella »

short version- (if you’ve read my posts before, then you’re welcome)

Quick background: I was one of the few who had a deposit on a 4T and did NOT have another scooter to ride until the 4t comes in.
I’ve been waiting. It sucks. Entire seasons are missed for riding. Blah blah blah.
I DONT want to pull my deposit on the 4t.
But I want to ride.

Crappy solution: I just bought a 2t.
I will ride it until the 4ts come in.
Once they do, I will sell my 2t to the dealer and take a hit on the loss of value (depreciation, whatever you want to call it) it sucks, but oh well.
Then I will pick up my stella 4t and begin an adventure of life.

This way I can get used to the scoot size and get really good at shifting and even see what accessories I need to get and maybe even get them now since they’ll fit both scoots (windshield, GPS holder, ect)

And most importantly, I can scoot now and start to "relax and live" and not "sit inside and 'internet' and complain."

And maybe I’ll be in a good position to write an in-depth review switching from a “2t daily use” to a “4t daily use”, but don't count on it too much.

End of statement.

that was "short"? it looks so "long"! sorry.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
bosco
Dealer

Post by bosco »

you will end up liking the 2t way more than the 4t in the long run.

bummer.
joel7269

Post by joel7269 »

You might not loose to much selling the 2T. Perhaps you hold on to it until next spring and then sell it. Thats hoping that you have the new one by then. :lol: :lol:
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I think the 2Ts are going to hold their value REALLY well, since they've been discontinued and a lot of career scooterists like the PX-interchangability.

I bet you'll end up sticking with the 2T, too.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Edit: totally changed my post to make it better.
joel7269 wrote: You might not lose too much selling the 2T...
illnoise wrote:I think the 2Ts are going to hold their value REALLY well, since they've been discontinued and a lot of career scooterists like the PX-interchangability...
I see where you guys are coming from- but tell that to my dealer who hasn't sold any all spring/summer.
scratch that, he sold one. to me. just now. but I'm gonna try to sell it back to him. :fp: supply and demand. sure, they don't make them any more- but apparently in our area- they don't need to- they're already over stocked... (is there an emoticon with a "single tear"?)
Now Don't get me wrong. 4t's on the other hand- I am NOT the only one with a deposit down with this dealer- we like our stellas clean up here I guess.

btw:
bosco wrote:you will end up liking the 2t way more than the 4t in the long run.
bummer.
illnoise wrote:...I bet you'll end up sticking with the 2T, too....
Possibly… but I haven’t been dreaming of a stella 2t for the past year. at this point there's some kind of mental attachment.

Edit: There is nothing wrong with my 2T. Nevermind!
joel7269 wrote:
Thats hoping that you have the new one by then. :lol: :lol:
+1 :wink:
Last edited by Lovelandstella on Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Lovelandstella
tylerhannan

Post by tylerhannan »

Congratulations!

If you are ever down in Denver, give a holler...
maribell

Post by maribell »

I like your plan Loveland. I would keep the 2T for rally cred and switch the cowls, horncovers, front fenders, and glove box doors if the Stellas will be different colors.

However, all of these "problems" that people complain about seem kind of moot to me.

I have logged 2000 miles on my used Stella 2T. They have all been trouble free. Here are some things that I have learned that will be useful to a new owner.

1. Don't bother with the kill switch. Kill switches mainly exist for crashes. I just turn the key off.

2. Don't bother with the electric start. The Stella electronics are based directly off the P series, which *suprise* didn't involve a battery. Just kick it. It should start within the first few tries.

3. Turn the petcock off when you turn your scooter off.

4. Buy a tank of gas every 100 miles. Sooner if you are going for a long ride.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

maribell wrote:I like your plan Loveland. I would keep the 2T for rally cred and switch the cowls, horncovers, front fenders, and glove box doors if the Stellas will be different colors.
:shock: Some of the best advice I've ever heard here on MB!
(and the rest of your advice too!)

My solution was to buy a Bajaj 4t shifty three years ago... but then again, I'm always ahead of the crowd 8)
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Rippinyarn wrote:
maribell wrote:I like your plan Loveland. I would keep the 2T for rally cred and switch the cowls, horncovers, front fenders, and glove box doors if the Stellas will be different colors.
:shock: Some of the best advice I've ever heard here on MB!
(and the rest of your advice too!)

My solution was to buy a Bajaj 4t shifty three years ago... but then again, I'm always ahead of the crowd 8)
There should be a Stella trading thread for those parts...
Swapping those would look cool
jmer1234

Post by jmer1234 »

bosco wrote:you will end up liking the 2t way more than the 4t in the long run.
Why?

I put this same idea forward a couple of days ago (ironically, right when Lovelandstella was making this deal) and got a similar response.

I don't have previous experience with motorized 2 wheel transportation, so I don't have any kind of emotional attachment to 2t motors. Somebody says 2t and I think "weed-eater". Plus the whole "can't coast down hill for long stretches or down shift to stop" thing bugs me.

Sorry if I am blaspheming. I am really not trying to offend any one, I am just a newbie.

Is there just some kind of magic I am unaware of as of yet?

P.S. Congrats, Lovelandstella!
Last edited by jmer1234 on Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

jmer1234 wrote:
Is there just some kind of magic I am unaware of as of yet?!
I don't know if anyone will like the 2 t or 4 t more.... Kind of like blondes or brunettes.... It's up to the rider
but to answer your question..... Yes
jmer1234

Post by jmer1234 »

AWESOME!! I look forward to the visions of dancing unicorns wafting within the 2 stroke fumes. :D
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

To me one of the biggest advantages of a 2T is how much easier they are to work on. Other than that they are dirty and they don't get as good of fuel economy. I have to say though, as much as I hate how dirty they are compared to the 4T engines, I love my Buddy 50 and have no plans to get rid of it. The 2Ts are so easy to work on that you end up building a strong relationship to your scooter just through working on it. I personally don't think there is anything magical about 2Ts in general, but if you don't want to ride a 2T for very long, my suggestion would be don't buy one in the first place. Once you own one it becomes fairly easy to forgive its flaws, even if you are a treehugger :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
spd122

Post by spd122 »

3. Turn the petcock off when you turn your scooter off.
So a funny thing happened today, I went out for a ride, but forgot to turn on the petcock. Guess it didn't really matter because after a 45 minute joyride I went to turn it off and it was. Bike has 250 miles.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

You rode 45 minutes on the fuel line and the float bowl! That's some mileage! A vintage Vespa cuts out a couple blocks from home if you forget to turn it off.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

jmer1234 wrote:Is there just some kind of magic I am unaware of as of yet?
You're probably right that if you have no background in scooters at all, there's not much difference. But the same goes both ways, if you start out with the 2T, I can't picture you wanting to go to a 4T just for the sake of economy (the 2T stella gets plenty good mileage). Pollution/ecology is really the only benefit to the 4T, and (possibly) reliability, though that hasn't been proven yet. A typical 2 stroke may be typically less reliable/maintenance intensive than a typical 4 stroke but a 30-year-old proven design is potentially more reliable (and easier to find parts for) than a brand-new design that hasn't really been thoroughly tested yet.

But what I'm saying is if you get the 2T and get used to it, you might find yourself a little (but JUST a little!) disappointed with the 4T, it's just quieter and just a different feel. Of course, it gets better mileage and pollutes less, but you might find it a hair less fun. So in short, maybe if you're committed to the 4T, you're better off never knowing what you missed with the 2T ha.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Edit: post removed by myself as it no longer applies. :)
Last edited by Lovelandstella on Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Lovelandstella
loodieboy

Post by loodieboy »

jmer1234 asks what the magic is with a 2T, and that seems a fair question because, truth be told, 2T lovers are quite the fanboys. I say that with respect because I now include myself amongst their ranks.

It's difficult to describe the "magic," and I guess it differs from person to person, but I think jasondavis48108 put it quite well:
The 2Ts are so easy to work on that you end up building a strong relationship to your scooter just through working on it.
Although I can't claim that I always find them "easy to work on," I do feel a chemistry between me and my 2T (and I hope it feels the same way). I know that preventative maintenance is a must, and that regardless, funky stuff can and does happen with a 2T. I don't want to become beholden to a mechanic for hire, and that means I have to be prepared to address maintenance issues when they arise. And that means gathering knowledge from other riders, reading up on the machine, trying to collect and keep the proper tools and common parts at hand - or at least know where to get them ASAP, busting or burning a knuckle or two, and getting in over my head from time to time. For me, it all adds another dimension to the riding experience. Maybe it's best described as enhancing the independence of my riding experience. That's my unicorn.
Clearly.
spd122

Post by spd122 »

You rode 45 minutes on the fuel line and the float bowl! That's some mileage! A vintage Vespa cuts out a couple blocks from home if you forget to turn it off.
I'm sure it was a little less, I rode to the dealer to get my reg and back to the neighborhood where i made another stop. Is that really possible or is it broken?
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

loodieboy wrote:jmer1234 asks what the magic is with a 2T, and that seems a fair question because, truth be told, 2T lovers are quite the fanboys. I say that with respect because I now include myself amongst their ranks.
Don't have a stella, but I just love that ringading ding ding sound mine makes, it's like a little dirtbike.
Oh and the smell love that smell in the morning, (insert Apocolypse Now quote, but put 2 stroke in place of napalm) :lol:
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
puncturedsphere

Post by puncturedsphere »

spd122 wrote:
I'm sure it was a little less, I rode to the dealer to get my reg and back to the neighborhood where i made another stop. Is that really possible or is it broken?
Something seems off there. I only made it halfway across the Target parkinglot I was parked in when I tried riding with my petcock in the off position.
bosco
Dealer

2t

Post by bosco »

two stroke

why is it so loved?

POWERBAND!

its a little slingshot because of the low end and once it hits the powerband its zing! off to the races, literally.

My 350 yamaha rd would smoke a 750 bonneville (in every sense of the word) all day long.

So Think quick, think Powerband!!
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I freely admit that part (just part) of my love for my 2T stella is that it is a 2T
If you are from a certain age group (I am 43) & raised in certain families (pretty active) 2 stroke is the sound & smell of fun.

Every time I smell a little 2 stroke exhaust or hear that 2T sound, somewhere deep in my brain, memories of the following wake up.

-6HP 2T Johnson outboard on the little boat we fished from from when I was 4 years old until 16 (the first motorized thing I drove)
-Twin 85HP Evinrude 2T outboards on the boat we water-skied behind from when I was 10 years old until 20
-500cc 2T motor in my arctic cat pantera snowmobile that I rode from age 14 until 19
-the 65hp Johnson 2T outboard on my current bass boat
-all three of my current snowmobiles are 2t

For me 2T = fun
Could 4T have advantages? Maybe... I dont really care.
glamourgirrrl

Post by glamourgirrrl »

I LOVE the smell and the "smoke". It's like that first slug of "real" coca-cola in the morning. Gotta love the burn!! (I now drink diet NOT the same) 4T are like the diet soda of scooters. My opinon...
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

ScootLemont wrote:I freely admit that part (just part) of my love for my 2T stella is that it is a 2T
If you are from a certain age group (I am 43) & raised in certain families (pretty active) 2 stroke is the sound & smell of fun.

Every time I smell a little 2 stroke exhaust or hear that 2T sound, somewhere deep in my brain, memories of the following wake up.

-6HP 2T Johnson outboard on the little boat we fished from from when I was 4 years old until 16 (the first motorized thing I drove)
-Twin 85HP Evinrude 2T outboards on the boat we water-skied behind from when I was 10 years old until 20
-500cc 2T motor in my arctic cat pantera snowmobile that I rode from age 14 until 19
-the 65hp Johnson 2T outboard on my current bass boat
-all three of my current snowmobiles are 2t

For me 2T = fun
Could 4T have advantages? Maybe... I dont really care.
Nah.

I've owned 2T and 4T scooters as well as 2T and 4T outboards, and wrenched very extensively on all of them.

I'll take 4T every time, thank you.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
JunkyardDog

Post by JunkyardDog »

For a scooter or small motorcycle, a 2 stroke is the way to go. They are simple, have a great powerband, sound nice, and I even love the smell of 2 stroke exhaust. The 2 stroke is much more of an enthusiasts bike. A 4 stroke might make a better commuter, but won't be as much fun. For me, at 51, 2 strokes are something from the "good old days". I am an auto mechanic, and to tell the truth, I get just plain sick of working on late model computerized, electronicized, emissionized, fuel injected plastic transportation modules. I own a Vino 125, and am about to replace it with a Buddy 125. Both great, reliable transportation. But, except for the fact that riding a scooter, any scooter, is just plain fun, the 2T Stella was much more fun. Until it broke down. I hope to have it running again soon. I have no desire to own a 4T Stella. It would be like owning a 2T Harley. Some things just don't go together.

As for the value of a 2T Stella, it may take a while, but I doubt over the long run they loose much value. Air cooled VW bugs were once a dime a dozen. People cut them up to build dune buggies out of. Just see what a nice original '60s VW bug costs now. I love bugs, and have owned 3. All 3 had rusted out heater channels and floor pans that I patched up. I could not afford a rust free bug, and now I can't even afford a rusty one. Long live the 2 stroke Stella. Jerry.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

JunkyardDog wrote:For a scooter or small motorcycle, a 2 stroke is the way to go. They are simple, have a great powerband, sound nice, and I even love the smell of 2 stroke exhaust. The 2 stroke is much more of an enthusiasts bike. A 4 stroke might make a better commuter, but won't be as much fun. For me, at 51, 2 strokes are something from the "good old days". I am an auto mechanic, and to tell the truth, I get just plain sick of working on late model computerized, electronicized, emissionized, fuel injected plastic transportation modules. I own a Vino 125, and am about to replace it with a Buddy 125. Both great, reliable transportation. But, except for the fact that riding a scooter, any scooter, is just plain fun, the 2T Stella was much more fun. Until it broke down. I hope to have it running again soon. I have no desire to own a 4T Stella. It would be like owning a 2T Harley. Some things just don't go together.

As for the value of a 2T Stella, it may take a while, but I doubt over the long run they loose much value. Air cooled VW bugs were once a dime a dozen. People cut them up to build dune buggies out of. Just see what a nice original '60s VW bug costs now. I love bugs, and have owned 3. All 3 had rusted out heater channels and floor pans that I patched up. I could not afford a rust free bug, and now I can't even afford a rusty one. Long live the 2 stroke Stella. Jerry.
Been there... breathed too much blue smoke.

I'll just mutter "different strokes" under my breath as I putt past on my 4T while you are kicking your seized 2T on the shoulder. :P
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."