Honda PCX (2011)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

beeporama

Honda PCX (2011)

Post by beeporama »

http://powersports.honda.com/2011/pcx.aspx

It looks lovely, but after ignoring the mid-range market for so long, I'm surprised they're adding this sporty-looking 125cc to a lineup that already has the very similar sporty-looking Elite (108cc) and sporty-looking SH150i (153cc). What's the point of a bike so close to two other models in power, features, and aesthetics? I would think a 250cc would be a better untapped market, but then again, that's probably my secret dirty desire to see the Big Ruckus come back.

I'm happy to be enlightened if I'm missing something...
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I think the pcx is being marketed directly to commuters. It has way more storage space than the sh150i or the elite. It has more of a sport look to it as well which may appeal to certain riders more than the euro styled sh150, but the main thing I think is storage and fuel economy which this thing has a lot of.

Whats funny is that in the marketing they consentrate on comforte for both rider and passenger and I am suprised that they put a fairly small engine 125cc and then market it as a 2-up scooter. I would have thought that would have been in the relm of the 250cc or higher class.

Anyway, it does look like a nice scooter and depending on the msrp (hopefuly it isn't as expensive as the sh150i) it may do very well, especially in urban environments. I too (not so secretly) want them to bring back the Big Ruckus although it'd be nice if they could style it just a bit more like its little brother. I think honda has finally realized that there is a market here in the U.S.A for scooters between 50cc and 650cc :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

looks a bit like a t-max. and yes, a big ruckus with the style of its lil brother would be sweet. i would have one.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
JSharpPhoto

Post by JSharpPhoto »

why would anyone want a mini-maxi scooter? If you're going to sacrifice style, and not even get performance? i guess i'm not their target market.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Seems like this is Hondas approach to motorcycles and scooters. Introduce (and discontinue) many different models. Darned if I know why anyone would select this scooter over the SH150 however - unless Honda plans to price it down there with the Elite and that doesn't seem likely.

If Honda wants to get serious about the American scooter market they need to trim a bit off the price of the SH150 (to undercut the 150 Vespas) and introduce the SH300 at a price point below the 250/300 Vespas. They would still lose some sales to the Buddy and the super secret Genuine cruiser on price but they would carve out a serious share of the market.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Dooglas wrote:Seems like this is Hondas approach to motorcycles and scooters. Introduce (and discontinue) many different models. Darned if I know why anyone would select this scooter over the SH150 however - unless Honda plans to price it down there with the Elite and that doesn't seem likely.
Well, their strategy for about 20 years was to not introduce any new models and change their existing US lineup as little as possible. I've ranted about their nonsensical approach to the US market at least a few times before.

A 125 commuter scoot that looks like a maxi? Probably not a smart move for the US market in 2010/2011.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

You know, I hate fairings on motorcycles. Strip that baby down as much as possible. But I also hate, hate, hate handlebars on scooters sticking up off a stalk. Call me "Mr. Impossible to Please."

On a positive note, I do like the overhead profile (can you say 'overhead profile?' Overhead silhouette? You know what I mean). Looks like something from Tron (especially if you mentally de-install the DOT blinkers).

Speaking of geeks and Tron, anyone else been following the Legacy ARG? I've got my Encom badge and Space Paranoids pin!
goldscott

Post by goldscott »

Has anyone played with one of these yet?

I think they actually look pretty good.

Not that I'd leave Buddy for one, but maybe I could start some scandalous affair...
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

The weirdest thing is, the only interesting thing about this bike is a feature that cuts off the engine at stoplights to save gas.

And that feature was disabled for the US market.

I'd take the SH over that anyday.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

ericalm wrote:
Dooglas wrote:Seems like this is Hondas approach to motorcycles and scooters. Introduce (and discontinue) many different models. Darned if I know why anyone would select this scooter over the SH150 however - unless Honda plans to price it down there with the Elite and that doesn't seem likely.
Well, their strategy for about 20 years was to not introduce any new models and change their existing US lineup as little as possible. I've ranted about their nonsensical approach to the US market at least a few times before.

A 125 commuter scoot that looks like a maxi? Probably not a smart move for the US market in 2010/2011.
True, they did keep the Helix around for about 20 years, and with very few changes to boot. Regardless of how you feel about its aesthetics, or Honda's marketing practices, there are, in my opinion, two big benefits for the consumer:

- Absolutely zero problems getting parts either now or for the forseeable future.

- "Legacy" product lines, by their very nature, are usually around long enough to get all of their kinks worked out. So, if you pick up a later-model unit , you have a very good chance of getting a trouble-free ride.
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

I have often wondered why, for a company as smart as Honda, they haven't taken something so cult-loved as the Ruckus and dropped a 150-175 motor in it. The Big Ruckus was an abomination...never could love that thing. But the Ruckus has a certain beauty in its minimalist style. It just needs power. Lots more power.

Wonder if I could get the Blur220i motor in it....
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

killbilly wrote:I have often wondered why, for a company as smart as Honda, they haven't taken something so cult-loved as the Ruckus and dropped a 150-175 motor in it. The Big Ruckus was an abomination...never could love that thing. But the Ruckus has a certain beauty in its minimalist style. It just needs power. Lots more power.

:+!: I will say in the big ruck's defense, they are SUPER comfortable and they had the cool folding seat. The little ones sure do look a ton better tho.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Meh! It looks like every other "Transformer/PowerRanger"scooter. Okay, I'm a total troglodyte Vespa/Lambretta traditionalist. I just get bored looking at all these "new" 2-wheeled Buicks.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

killbilly wrote:I have often wondered why, for a company as smart as Honda, they haven't taken something so cult-loved as the Ruckus and dropped a 150-175 motor in it. The Big Ruckus was an abomination...never could love that thing. But the Ruckus has a certain beauty in its minimalist style. It just needs power. Lots more power.

Well, regardless of how much we here on MB love scooters in general, and adore some scooters in particular, we're the proverbial spit in the ocean of American vehicle consumers. From Honda's standpoint it probably makes more sense to keep producing and selling their "universal first bike" (Rebel 250): bigger market, established track record, and, as I opined in an earlier post, a "legacy" product that doesn't need any further retooling or debugging.

Granted, there weren't any 2010 models, but Honda's probably just scaling back to meet the diminished demand resulting from the recession. Betcha 20 bucks that you'll see Rebels back on the showroom floors long before you see a 250 Honda scooter.
jasondavis48108

illnoise wrote:
I'd take the SH over that anyday.

Bb.
me too :D
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
NASRA

Post by NASRA »

I had the opportunity to check this out in person at the Indianapolis MotoGp. It had a nice seat with a really comfortable riding position. If the engine performs as well as it looks it should be a hot item. The aftermarket has already gone to work.

Amerivespa Indy 2015.
Scooterists start your engines!

#AVINDY15
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

if it gets more people scootin' i'm all for it

but i wish honda 150cc scoots did not start at over $4000. i don't quite get that pricing scheme, but whatever

now they introduce a 125cc starting in the mid $3,000's, walk into a dealer and see it bloated to the mid 4,000's

that sort of thing will keep me with Kymco, SYM, and Genuine in the future. Heck, maybe even Piaggio, which MSRP's the BV 250 within $500 of a Honda SH150
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I like the PCX. The lines are reminiscent of the Gilera scooters. Interesting that they call it a "step-through" though. Of course, I also like hatchback cars, which according to Motor Trend, are not very popular in the States. But then, my tastes lean more toward the european and/or asian styles. I'm glad we're finally starting to get some of the style of scoots that have been selling in Europe and Asia for the last 20 years or so.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
jasondavis48108

I actually entered a drawing to win one of these scooters. Made my wife enter too :lol: I definitely like my sh150 better in terms of the amount of room on the scoot and its overall look but I have to say I like how this one looks with the aftermarket hard bags and some of the other mods.
TVB

Post by TVB »

babblefish wrote:I like the PCX. The lines are reminiscent of the Gilera scooters. Interesting that they call it a "step-through" though.
Some people apparently think that's Italian for "no gas tank between your legs".
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I don't mind the looks, it looks a bit like a Piaggio Beverly/BV mixed with a Gilera Runner, nothing wrong with that, even if it's a bit bland. I just think it's an unnecessary addition to their lineup, priced too high, and missing the one unique feature that makes it stand out in the rest of the world.

The SH is hugely popular all over the world and with a little marketing muscle and better pricing, it could be their next Cub/Elite here (30 years on the market with little change). The PCX is made in Thailand, so that might explain why they're pushing it here rather than their premium Japanese-made scooters that are in high demand everywhere else in the world.

The gas-saving engine-cut-off feature would have been a huge selling point here, but I imagine the NHTSA wasn't excited about that feature as potential customers would be.
tbonestone

Post by tbonestone »

But you're getting a water cooled fuel injected 125. Price seems right on for me. I am totally excited about this scoot. But i'm no loyalist to one brand. I just buy what i dig at the time. I know the aftermarket has started going to work on these, and cannot wait to see what they come up with.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

illnoise wrote:The SH is hugely popular all over the world and with a little marketing muscle and better pricing, it could be their next Cub/Elite here (30 years on the market with little change).
I have to wonder if in 20 years I'll think the SH is less ugly. Then again, I never felt that way about the Cub and Elite, so maybe not.

Anyone see the recent Mad Men episode about Honda? Quite good.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I wanted an Elite back in the day, but I never got into the look, i just wanted it because Devo, Jim McMahon, Lou Reed, Adam Ant, and Grace Jones told me to.

The Cub always looked to me like a lame cross between a Vespa and a moped but they've grown on me over time. If the Symba had a more accurate headset, i'd probably have one by now, ha.

Bb.