Top speed?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

evilsearat

Top speed?

Post by evilsearat »

A curious inquiry for anybody with a Blur 220i...

Having just entered the wild world of scooting last year I'm none too experienced so I hope you'll all excuse my cluelessness in most regards 8)

About a year ago I was only commuting about 3 miles on roads with speed limits anywhere between 35-45, so a 50cc scooter was a perfect fit; I'd never once driven on the highway :? The only thing is that I've since switched jobs and now need to ride about 10-15 minutes on the highway to and from work in zones where people usually expect to travel anywhere between 70-80mph.

I really, really like the look and feel of Genuine scooters, and the Blur especially has captured my attention. The only concern is that, according to the review on justgottascoot.com, the Blur 220i only reaches an actual top speed of about 68mph and suffers from an extremely optimistic speedo. Have any Blur 220i owners here experienced anything different? Both of the mechanics at the Boston scooter shop I visited recently ride the new Blur and they love it, but I wonder just how highway-capable it may be. And, even if it does reach the rated 75+mph, is it healthy to push it to its maximum for about a half hour each day? Is there another scooter that you might recommend for this kind of usage?

Any input would be extremely appreciated!
Bjc617

Post by Bjc617 »

i drive my Blur about 15 miles every other day consist of 30 miles there and back i havent had any issues on the highway you can cruise in the 70's i had the speedo saying 88 not gps verified so probaly 83 mph
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

I had my SS to 72 indicated the other day and I might have been able to squeeze out one more mph, but considering there is only about 400 miles on the odo, it was a very hot day, and I weigh 250 pounds, I diidn't think that was too bad.
Last edited by Mikie M. on Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

pshhh i've had my blur 150 higher than 68mph. only once and all the conditions were right. but i know if that can do it, so can the 220.
evilsearat

Post by evilsearat »

Hmm.. it seems like results are all over the place. Maybe it has a lot to do with how broken in the scooter is, ect. I just can't imagine a 220cc not being able to top 70 actual mph, and the 17% optimistic speedo makes me wonder. Apparently Genuine is aware of it and is working out a fix as of July. I'm thinking I'll just have to get my hands on one and test drive it :)

Once I get the motorcycle license in October, of course. :wink:
Erlkonig

Post by Erlkonig »

top speed is 128km on 220 ss
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

According to POCPhil's video review, top speed indicated on the speedo was 86 with a GPS confirmation of 77mph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaVl2tKiK8s
Mighty Ohio Scooter Club

illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Also remember that on any scooter or motorcyle, speed is GREATLY influenced by:

Rider Weight
Seating position/posture
Cargo
Cargo position/center of gravity
wind speed and direction
grade (up/down hills)
temperature and humidity
altitude
road surface
tire inflation
tire wear
state of engine break-in
quality of gasoline (not octane, quality!)
quantity of gasoline (you'll be lighter when your tank is empty!)
aerodynamics affected by luggage, rider, windscreen, accessories, etc

Not to mention the variance between what the speedo says, what a GPS says, and what a radar gun says.

I'm not being cute, ALL of these things can fairly substantially affect the performance of your scooter, so any "top speed" should be taken with a grain of salt. if you're a 250 lb 6' tall dude like me, chop 5-10 MPH off right there.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
davelhunter

I also recorded a speed of 87mph indicated

Post by davelhunter »

I also hit a speed of 87mph indicated yesterday on the digital speedometer.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

See! You're probably a couple pounds lighter and 500 feet closer to sea level than POCPhil.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

so the best time for a speed run is after a colonic cleaning :lol: