My search begins for a folding rear crate....

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sosha

My search begins for a folding rear crate....

Post by sosha »

I need to be able to carry more sh*t while I'm out and about on the BlackJack. The backpack is starting to become a burden, once it's fully loaded. So, I'm thinking about putting a collapsable crate on the read rack. Has anyone done this? I'd be interested in opinions/experiences.

I'm looking at this: http://tinyurl.com/258ybob

I'd rather not put on a topcase, even one that's removable.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I had folding rear baskets for my bicycle and they worked rather well. How do you plan to attach the folding crate? Do you want it to be easily removable or just want it to be able to fold down when not in use? Do you not want a topcase due to cost or athentics? I can tell ya the Givi Simply 45L topcase is super easy to take on and off and has room for a danergous amount of stuff :lol: It's a lot more expensive than $15.00 though. Whatever you decide to do just make sure that your not exceeding the 11lb weight limit of the rear rack by too much. I've put 20lb in my topcase before but thats seriously stupid and I wouldn't recommend it :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
sosha

Post by sosha »

I'm trying to avoid a top case for purely aesthetic reasons. I feel that part of the charm of the Buddy is the fact that it is SO small, and can fit into the tightest of places.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Zip-ties, webbing, some basic sewing skills, conduit clamps and random bits of hardware and you can fit anything to these things. I'm not sure how a trunk (30L and under) makes it that much bigger, but it's your bike, so set it up as you see fit.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
michelle_7728

My search begins

Post by michelle_7728 »

One of the things to keep in mind about a fold down box, especially if you are going to leave it on all the time, is rusty hinges.

A top case really wouldn't add more to the width of the Buddy, and it would be lower than a windshield, though it does add a little to the length. Here's a post showing pictures of how I mounted my top case (a little differently than most people do) on my 2008 black Buddy 125:
This moved the topcase forward 2 or 3 inches...still can open the seat without it rubbing the topcase.
topic14573.html
The good thing about a top case is you always have some place to put your helmet and still store your jacket under the seat (if you get a big enough topcase, that is).

An alternative is to install a platform on your rear rack. This post shows pictures (quite a ways down in the post) of the platform I built for my 2009 orange Buddy 125:
topic16408.html

Also, you might think about saddlebags and / or a tail bag. I use saddle bags on all 3 of my scooters on occasion, and a tail bag on the orange Buddy (the platform I built easily accommodates a tailbag, and even a pull behind laptop case).

The following link has lots of examples of saddle bags. I have pictures of mine in there as well, on my orange Buddy.
viewtopic.php?t=15924&highlight=saddle+bags

Let us all know what you end up doing--we're all interested in new ways of carrying stuff on our scooters. :)
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Here's what I've discovered: A folding rear rack, canvas bag in the pet carrier, folding rear rack and bungee net can pretty much carry anything I would put in a top case and is easy on/off.
Attachments
Library books
Library books
rack3.jpg (58.12 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
Dinner! Burritos, tacos, chips & guac!
Dinner! Burritos, tacos, chips & guac!
rack2.jpg (59.23 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
Cat food & 12 pack of Diet Crush: Get that in a top case!
Cat food & 12 pack of Diet Crush: Get that in a top case!
rack1.jpg (59 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

saddlebags work well for added storage, and go on and off in a jiffy. I got a nylon set from Tractor Supply (water resistant) designed for horses for under $30. i also use a very large REI hiking pack (85liter??) that sits nicely on the floorboard when fully packed.
michelle_7728

My search begins

Post by michelle_7728 »

Wow! No fair--You can buy a much wider rear rack for a Vespa than you can for a Buddy. Ours don't fold up either (well, at least the rear racks don't...). :cry:

Show off! :P
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: My search begins

Post by ericalm »

michelle_7728 wrote:Wow! No fair--You can buy a much wider rear rack for a Vespa than you can for a Buddy. Ours don't fold up either (well, at least the rear racks don't...). :cry:

Hey, that's a STELLA! :)

The concept applies, I think. You can get a decent-sized folding front rack for the Buddy and it would perform the same function.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I actually have Armada folding crate that I picked up on sale ($1.00) before school year started. I've been using it for storing my papers and stuff. I do not think it is durable enough because of folding to serve as carrying crate on the Buddy. They are plastic and kind of flimsy. I will see if I can fit a thin plywood or plastic on the bottom which should keep it from collapsing accidentally. It might work this way.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

On the bag thing... I keep a compression bag in the pet carrier with a bungee net in it for those times I'm out and need to carry stuff (or don't want to advertise what I'm carrying). The rear rack on the Scarabeo is laughable, but the passenger seat's got room for a big 'ol butt (oh yeah!).
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i like the crates to carry stuff but don't like the look

i am just getting into the storage issues now that i am riding just about everywhere for everything, and have started out with a large backpack i will carry and strap to the rear of my seat with bungee cords. its camouflage :)

today i will purchase a 15x15 cargo net for the rear rack, and medium sized bag of some sort for the front hook. i guess a bag of some sort would be good to line the under seat storage, also. but for now i just have stuff thrown about in there

my new 3/4 helmet does not quite fit under the seat, however (Agility 125). so i suppose some sort of lock will be needed for it. kind of a bummer
Lendlees

Post by Lendlees »

I ended up putting this 'front' bicycle basket on my rear rack:
http://www.nirve.com/largeimage.asp?id=1831

I went totally low-tech and used zip ties to secure it and it works great. It's still narrow enough for the Buddy profile, but it can hold a couple of bags of groceries or my karate gear.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I like that bike basket.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
sosha

Post by sosha »

Stormswift wrote:I like that bike basket.
Me too!
Lendlees

Post by Lendlees »

It also comes in black...would look nice on a BlackJack.

Amazon carries it.
michelle_7728

Re: My search begins

Post by michelle_7728 »

ericalm wrote:
michelle_7728 wrote:Wow! No fair--You can buy a much wider rear rack for a Vespa than you can for a Buddy. Ours don't fold up either (well, at least the rear racks don't...). :cry:

Hey, that's a STELLA! :)

The concept applies, I think. You can get a decent-sized folding front rack for the Buddy and it would perform the same function.
DOH! Well, my husband would be the first to say that I'm not the most observant person...and I tend to agree with him on that! :P
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

JHScoot wrote:i like the crates to carry stuff but don't like the look

i am just getting into the storage issues now that i am riding just about everywhere for everything, and have started out with a large backpack i will carry and strap to the rear of my seat with bungee cords. its camouflage :)

today i will purchase a 15x15 cargo net for the rear rack, and medium sized bag of some sort for the front hook. i guess a bag of some sort would be good to line the under seat storage, also. but for now i just have stuff thrown about in there

my new 3/4 helmet does not quite fit under the seat, however (Agility 125). so i suppose some sort of lock will be needed for it. kind of a bummer
Check to make sure there's not a small D-ring hook or post under the seat. Many scoots have them and their owners never even notice!
sosha

Post by sosha »

Nope, no extra hook. Good suggestion, tho...

I may go out tomorrow and look into that bicycle rack. I kinda like it.
esk

Post by esk »

sosha wrote:Nope, no extra hook. Good suggestion, tho...
dang! are you sure? the specs for the agility 125 say it has a helmet hook - maybe it depends on the model year. i see a pair of them in the 2nd pic here:

http://scootercommunity.com.au/forums/p/7422/41822.aspx

edit: oh - i guess that should be in response to JHScoot, not sosha.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

sosha wrote:
Me too!
That's about the size if a standard milk crate. (13x13")
I'm 'rocking' an 18x13" milk crate have put 4 12packs of soda in it!!

Wald Bicycle baskets has one 18x22" and an 18x13" (I think)
Attachments
basket-wald.jpg
basket-wald.jpg (1.92 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KABarash wrote:
sosha wrote:
Me too!
That's about the size if a standard milk crate. (13x13")
I'm 'rocking' an 18x13" milk crate have put 4 12packs of soda in it!!

Wald Bicycle baskets has one 18x22" and an 18x13" (I think)
Another consideration: Four 12 packs is probably WAY over the weight limit for these racks. Do that regularly and you could wind up with a broken rack and cracked panels. If you have a front rack, distribute some of that weight.

On my Vespa, I have an underseat hook. I've hung so many shopping bags on it that I've had to ride with my feet dangling. Doesn't look cool, but it helps haul a ton of stuff!