new guy again

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Dirk

new guy again

Post by Dirk »

OK does anyone have anything negitive about the Blur? And does anyone know when the 200 is coming out in Chicago?

Thanks Dirk the new Guy :D
bicyclerider

Post by bicyclerider »

I got nothing really.
600 miles on mine so far in almost three weeks.
It's fast and fun - I can't stop riding it.
the seat takes some getting used to.
I wish there was more lighting on the back of the bike and that the front headlight was brighter or there was more 'marker' lighting.
I might end up spending the bucks on a windshield at some point, before the cold weather sets in. It's pretty windy at 50 plus mph.

I am ready for my first oil change as soon as my dealer gets the filters in stock. [One would wonder why they don't have a few dozen in stock always.]

Other than that - no complaints > I have not driven my Forester in over 2 weeks.
Dirk

Thanks

Post by Dirk »

Thanks Bike rider, I heard you get use to the seat, you will, I live just north of Chicago, will be going downtown tomorrow to the Blue store I bet they have filters, ill pass along they are out in Columbus.

Dirk

Post by 360 »

Another Chicago (area) Blurman..welcome.
Not too much negative about the Blur. I wish it were a bit faster (but don't we always?)...and maybe came in a few more colors, but I'm liking my halloween-colored Blur nowadays.

We're not positive the 200's are coming out, although it's very likely. I'd rather see a 250 come out instead though, since I want a highway rider and I'm not so sure the 200 will be enough to really make that happen.

Anyway, its always good to have another on board...seems like a new wave of Blur riders just came all at once.
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Thanks 360.... I am a beginner, Big 220, would like to see a 200 but I am not taking it out on the highway, just want to putts around.
THANKS Dirk
Dirk

New Guy question

Post by Dirk »

Anyone know the torque and horse power of the Blur? Has anyone heard of the Adly thunderbike, it has 13.2 HP..
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

Here's a chart:

http://www.pgo-scooter.com/gmax.html

PGO Gmax is the same as the Blur, so the Gmax 150 should be the same as the US Blur 150.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

As I recall, the Blur 150 engine is about 11.5 HP. Not sure quite where I got that number from. But that is for the carburetted 2 valve engine, not the "NASA" tech 4 valve ceramic lined EFI engine available in Asia.

-Mark
Dirk

ADLY

Post by Dirk »

Thanks Mark, know anything about Adly thunderbike??? :?:
BlueMark

Re: ADLY

Post by BlueMark »

Dirk wrote:Thanks Mark, know anything about Adly thunderbike??? :?:
Is that one of the "New Lambretta's"?
Dirk

Adly Thunderbike??

Post by Dirk »

Mark...Adly is the name of the brand, it is a Tiwanesse bike, you can ckeck it out on the web. Its a step through not as hansome as the Blur but has a considerable larger engine..13.2 HP torque is up there to, It costs around 2400 plus S&H, tax, prep etc, comes to around 3000. Put Adly scooters in google & search it. Tell me what you think.

Dirk
beelzebubbles

Post by beelzebubbles »

Adly may not be bad, but you might want to ask the Adly scooter fan forum to hear their point of view.

I was looking at a 150cc scoot in the $2500 range, but Blur seemed to be built better than those scoots in that range. Is it worth the extra cost? It's a question of how you enjoy performance, comfort, ergonomics, the fun of the ride, your finances, etc.

I think the best (only) way to choose is test-riding and comparing that way.
Dirk

ADLY

Post by Dirk »

I wish I could test ride the Adly Thunder but do not know where to do that, I am also not sure size = speed in the scooter world. I kinda like getting a bike from the dealer so if there is a problem I can go cry to them in person. I am sure you are right.

Dirk
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: ADLY

Post by ericalm »

Dirk wrote:I wish I could test ride the Adly Thunder but do not know where to do that, I am also not sure size = speed in the scooter world. I kinda like getting a bike from the dealer so if there is a problem I can go cry to them in person. I am sure you are right.
You're right about going to a dealer. If you don't know where to test an Adly, then there may also be problems in getting it serviced and getting parts for it.

For surface street riding, a stock Blur should have more than sufficient power and speed. A 200/250 would be great for highway riding or going a hell of a lot faster on surface streets than you probably should. :)

There were rumors that Genuine is bringing over a much faster scoot—possibly not a PGO or a new model—in late '07/'08. But who knows?!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BlueMark

Re: Adly Thunderbike??

Post by BlueMark »

Dirk wrote:Mark...Adly is the name of the brand, it is a Tiwanesse bike, you can ckeck it out on the web. Its a step through not as hansome as the Blur but has a considerable larger engine..13.2 HP torque is up there to, It costs around 2400 plus S&H, tax, prep etc, comes to around 3000. Put Adly scooters in google & search it. Tell me what you think.

Dirk
Hi Dirk,

Yes I understand that Adly is a Taiwanese scooter manufacturer. They don't seem to have much of a dealer network in the US, but at least two Adly models will soon be imported to the US under the "Lambretta" name.

I found some info on the Thunderbike, If it really has 1.5 HP more than the Blur, and weighs 80 lbs less, it should be considerably faster. But it certainly isn't going to match the Blur in handling. Depends on what is more important to you. If you really crave speed a 150 engine isn't for you anyway.

If Adly's quality matches those of the other Taiwanese scooter manufacturers the Thunderbike should be a steal at $2400. Definitely worth a look.

-Mark
Dirk

ADLY

Post by Dirk »

Yes thats what I thought and i am not out for super speeds to scared. Point well taken. Hey thanks for the Adly info and info in general. I knew getting on this forum would be a big help and its just the start.

Dirk
Dirk

New Blur 7-14

Post by Dirk »

Well guys ...spent the 4ooo & got the Blur today...07 model, silver & black, had a 06 for 200 cheaper but didnt go for it. Now you guys can give me break in advise. I actual like sitting on the back of the set better anyone else do that? Took my 5 yr. old for a 5 mi ride and thats all i have done. Whats this no more then one half throttle thing for the first 500 miles? Ill be talking to you, now i got to figure out how not to get caught by the cops, do not ahve a M lic yet.

Dirk
BlueMark

Re: New Blur 7-14

Post by BlueMark »

Dirk wrote:Whats this no more then one half throttle thing for the first 500 miles?
It is a matter of some dispute. It used to be that engines had to be used lightly in the first few hundred miles while the engine was broken in. Today's engines are built much better, and some experts advise your to ride the engines very hard in order to properly seat and seal the rings. About the only consistent advise is to vary the throttle - do not ride very long at any single throttle setting, keep the engine running at a variety of speeds. MotoMan's Break-In Secrets
Ill be talking to you, now i got to figure out how not to get caught by the cops, do not ahve a M lic yet.
Study up on the IL motorcycle manual today, then go take the test for a MC learners permit on Monday. Easy.
Dirk

newguy

Post by Dirk »

thanks Bluemark will do both. I have the manual right here is it an easy test written and ride? I have a temp. lic on back, does the stste send me my regular plates? All fees have been paid for.

Again thanks
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

Hi Dirk,

Many of us that have responded are in Ohio... so you should get the scoop on licensure and testing from the IL locals.

In Ohio, you can buy the 'real' plate once you have the title - which the dealer will mail out...

Our temporary license test is a 40 question computerized test. Can't miss 11 or more to pass. Many questions are not written on the test as they appeared in the book. When you pass, you get temporary operator paperwork which is good for 1 year. Can't drive at night, with a passenger, or on a highway with this permit.

After you've had time to practice riding, you schedule a driving exam (or take a special class in OH). Ours is a 4 part driving test. Each part is a combo of skills drills. These drills aren't really like road driving... so if you don't know what to expect, you might not do well at this test.

Again, hook up with the local scooter club, get the inside info for IL, and practice the test skills needed.

Happy BLURing!
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I test drove the Adly 150 (the "new Lambretta," but I can't bring myself to call it that) this weekend. If you can get over the name, it's a decent bike, and probably will be cheaper than the Blur, but the quality and handling dont' quite compare.

I'm a vintage guy, so seeing a fairly generic Taiwanese/Chinese scooter that was already on the market rebadged as a Lambretta is a dealbreaker for me. Adly doesn't really have a well-established US dealer network, it seems like the Adly-branded bikes are mostly sold by internet drop-shippers and fly-by-night shops, which generally should be avoided, the "Lambrettas" will hopefully and likely be sold through more reputable dealers.

Look for more info on 2strokebuzz.com, there's some info there now and I'll be posting my review there soon. I only spun it around a parking lot, so it won't be comprehensive, but I got a feel for it at least.

Bryan
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Dirk

Adly Thunderbike??

Post by Dirk »

Went ahead and got Blur, thanks for the review was it fast has 13.1 HP engine, we knew it would not handle like the blur, looking forward to the review.

Dirk
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Dirk wrote:Went ahead and got Blur, thanks for the review was it fast has 13.1 HP engine, we knew it would not handle like the blur, looking forward to the review.

Dirk
It wasn't broken in and I was riding it in the parking lot sort-of without explicit permission, ha, so I really didn't push it at all. It's almost certainly lighter than the Blur so if it has more HP, I'd have to guess it has a higher top speed, but the frame and suspension didn't seem all that stiff and I'm pretty sure it's got smaller wheels, so it might not be too friendly at top speed. It seemed good 'n' quick though, it's worth checking out, I guess, but like I said, I probably wouldn't buy one just because of the name and because it's a little generic looking. The 50 is more eyecatching (haven't seen it in person yet, but, well, it's a 50.

Again, for the name thing, let me be clear that I don't have any problem with progress and an automatic plastic lambretta would be just fine with me, it's the fact that it wasn't custom-designed, has nothing to do with Italy (despite some stickers in Italian), that it's just the name glued to a random, off-the-shelf asian scooter. It's a sad day when a marque becomes nothing but a marketing department, shipping containers, and decals (see also Sachs, Benelli, Garelli, and--i suspect--italjet.)
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Dirk wrote:Went ahead and got Blur, thanks for the review was it fast has 13.1 HP engine, we knew it would not handle like the blur, looking forward to the review.

Dirk

Dirk, the Adly that Illnoise rode was the Adly Panther - rebranded as a Lambretta - NOT the Thunderbike.
Dirk

Adly Thunderbike??

Post by Dirk »

Guess it doesnt matter now, have new Blur. it does handle nice although I dont have much experience on other bikes unless you want to count the 50's i ride when i am in Bermuda, boy is that fun. Wonder what it would be like to have the Blur in Bermuda? FUN for sure
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Chicago scooterist Yahoogroup:
(lots of traffic, lots of off-topic, but good place to meet folks)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CHIscooterList/

Chicago Events list:
(low traffic, events/ride postings only:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CHIscootEvents/

Slaughterhouse is our big local rally, Labor Day weekend, don't miss that. There's a rally in Kenosha this weekend and the Quad cities next weekend, then I think Minneapolis is the week after that. There will surely be several rides in the next few weeks too.