sputtering

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mijoda52

sputtering

Post by mijoda52 »

occasionally when I start the Buddy 50 up, it seems to sputter and rpms don't want to come up. It always goes away after a minute or so but sometimes I have to rev it up for a little bit and then it seems to "clear out". It also seems to smoke more during this period so I am thinking it is running too rich. Anybody have any ideas? I am wondering if I might also need to add a little seafoam. Michael
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Sometimes, especially if it sits for a few days/weeks between rides and also as it gets colder (dunno where you are), scooters just take a minute or so to warm up. If the weather hasn't changed, I'd suspect maybe a sticky carb float, or maybe the cable's stretched over time so the idle's set a hair too low, but it's probably just the colder weather more than anything. More smoke when you first start a bike is normal, especially with a 2-stroke, over time some gas and oil mixture has seeped into the cylinder, and the gas evaporated but the oil didn't, so you're burning it off.

I don't wanna say that Seafoam is snake oil, but I don't think it deserves the magical reputation MB seems to have given it, ha. It can't hurt, I guess, as a preventative measure to help stabilize your fuel and keep your carb a little cleaner over time, but it won't fix anything.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
juice

Post by juice »

I used to have problems with all of my small motors getting gummed up if I didn't use them frequently enough untill I discovered seafoam . I use 1 oz. per gal. in my scooters , chain saw , weed eater , and lawn mower . I also have started using non ethanol gas , you may have a station near you , check this link (pure-gas.org) . I also use NGK iridium plugs in my 2-stroke scooters , they make a world of difference in starting and idleing . Good luck .
mijoda52

Thanks

Post by mijoda52 »

As usual, this place is a wealth of information. I have been riding the Buddy everyday so I think the cold weather theory is probably a good one. It has been down in the mid to upper forties for the last few mornings. I think I will try the Seafoam just for insurance. Thanks, I hope you guys know how much you are appreciated. Michael
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I always have starting issues with my BUddy 50 during cold weather. I think that its common amongst all 2Ts and to some extent all carberated scooters. I've heard that 4Ts do better in the cold and that fuel injection also helps quite a bit. I usually just deal with it but this year I installed the stage 1 kit with an 85 jet so am already running a bit on the lean side. The cold weather can make it run even leaner so I'll probably have to upjet here again soon. Hopefully I'll be able to find a proper sized jet and not have to drill my own. If it gives you too many issues as it starts to get colder I'd really consider having a larger main jet installed if you plan to run your scooter in much colder weather.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid