Scooters as business decorations

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BootScootin'FireFighter

Scooters as business decorations

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Has anyone seen this? In my area alone, I know of 2 business, an Italian restaurant and Italian deli (notice a pattern?) using scooters as decorative pieces. At least the one in front of the deli doesn't have mirrors all beat up and twisted looking. This kind of thing bothers me, how do others feel? Are they trying to capture the feel of Italy by this? And how can the police write anyone else a ticket for parking on the sidewalk and give these business owners a free pass? One other thing, the Piaggio in front of "Vapiano" is always blocking access to get into the joint, it makes NO sense! And when they're closed, it is rolled into the foyer of the restaurant. First order for the busboy, open the umbrellas, unlock the chairs, and roll out the Piaggio. I'll try to get a better picture to post tomorrow.
Attachments
italianstore.JPG
italianstore.JPG (125.17 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
Vapiano
Vapiano
vapiano.JPG (73.48 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
VoodooKitty

Post by VoodooKitty »

There are a couple places in Boulder that just stick a scooter out front as decoration like your examples. Kinda pointless if you ask me.

Here is a picture of a liquor drive-thru place in Denver - Scooter Liquors - I always liked these guys :D
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (88.93 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

I've seen them used in window displays in downtown ann arbor. I don't really care as they are the ones who purchased the scoots so I suppose they can do what they like with them. I, for one, wouldn't have the self control to just leave it in the window. I'd want to take it out for a spin and if it wasn't in working order I'd want to get it running, but thats just me.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

There are at least three places in Portland that I know of that have them in the windows, and 1 Gelato shop that uses a LX50 for a menu holder just inside the door of the shop(They're in a front basket).
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

a cafe on the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica CA, has this vintage Vespa inside. its an Italian joint, strangely enough :P

TVB

Re: Scooters as business decorations

Post by TVB »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:In my area alone, I know of 2 business, an Italian restaurant and Italian deli (notice a pattern?)
Places that sell food? :)
Kaos

Re: Scooters as business decorations

Post by Kaos »

TVB wrote:
BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:In my area alone, I know of 2 business, an Italian restaurant and Italian deli (notice a pattern?)
Places that sell food? :)
I was going to say both in his area was the pattern.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

JHScoot wrote:a cafe on the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica CA, has this vintage Vespa inside. its an Italian joint, strangely enough :P

Kind of ironic that the Vespa screams bodge.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

ericalm wrote:
JHScoot wrote:a cafe on the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica CA, has this vintage Vespa inside. its an Italian joint, strangely enough :P

Yeah, its a Vietbodge reject. But the best thing about them is that they look pretty. Much better that they're window dressing than on the road.
Keys

Post by Keys »

I want that small frame, BSFF...

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Kaos wrote:
ericalm wrote:
Yeah, its a Vietbodge reject. But the best thing about them is that they look pretty. Much better that they're window dressing than on the road.
how can one tell these things? upon closer inspection of the pic i think i see some imperfections in the sheet metal on the scoot, but i would take it this could be of any older scooter, not just a "bodge"

how does one tell a "bodge" from a non bodge? and what the heck is a bodge, anyway?
Cheers!

Post by Cheers! »

And how can the police write anyone else a ticket for parking on the sidewalk and give these business owners a free pass?
A ticket for parking on the sidewalk? Guess you don't live in South Philly. Around here, if you stop it, put it in park, and leave it...it's considered parked. No questions asked.

I think everyone who's ever visited me has parked on the sidewalk across from house...cars, trucks, whatever. :)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

JHScoot wrote:
Kaos wrote:
ericalm wrote: Kind of ironic that the Vespa screams bodge.
how can one tell these things? upon closer inspection of the pic i think i see some imperfections in the sheet metal on the scoot, but i would take it this could be of any older scooter, not just a "bodge"

how does one tell a "bodge" from a non bodge? and what the heck is a bodge, anyway?
A bodge is a bike thats been poorly rebuilt and is generally extremely unsafe.

Usually these are reconstructed in Vietnam and will be several frames welded together, the motor will have parts of coffee cans used for gaskets and often bits of wire and random screws holding things on that should be much more securely attached.

There's at least 2 signs that I can see on this bike. First off is the yellow kickstand boots. These are basically only made in Vietnam and you never see them on a bike that's never been outside the states.

The second is that this is a Vespa Super. It SHOULD have 8" wheels on it, this one has 10" wheels on it and they're sitting fairly far out of the fender.

This is also a common mod. To weld the end of a 10" fork onto the 8" fork so they can mount the larger wheel.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

there is a "hip" clothing store in my town that has a semi-retro looking Chinese scooter parked in it
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

ScootLemont wrote:there is a "hip" clothing store in my town that has a semi-retro looking Chinese scooter parked in it
:rofl:
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lostmycage wrote:
ScootLemont wrote:there is a "hip" clothing store in my town that has a semi-retro looking Chinese scooter parked in it
:rofl:
LMC: Not that this is on topic at all... But your new avatar reminds me of 'The sad sad tale of chickenfoot' from Invader Zim.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Kaos wrote: LMC: Not that this is on topic at all... But your new avatar reminds me of 'The sad sad tale of chickenfoot' from Invader Zim.
Nah, it's from that new "hip" clothing store. Zombie sheik; it's all the rage this time of year.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Lostmycage wrote:
Kaos wrote: LMC: Not that this is on topic at all... But your new avatar reminds me of 'The sad sad tale of chickenfoot' from Invader Zim.
Nah, it's from that new "hip" clothing store. Zombie sheik; it's all the rage this time of year.
My kid has played so much plants v. zombies that I could recognize that zombie face anywhere :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Kaos wrote:LMC: Not that this is on topic at all... But your new avatar reminds me of 'The sad sad tale of chickenfoot' from Invader Zim.
HA! I love Invader Zim! Probably the only adult I know of that has ever watched it... Now I know there is at least one other person! :P
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

KRUSTYburger wrote:
Kaos wrote:LMC: Not that this is on topic at all... But your new avatar reminds me of 'The sad sad tale of chickenfoot' from Invader Zim.
HA! I love Invader Zim! Probably the only adult I know of that has ever watched it... Now I know there is at least one other person! :P
Yep, there's at least one more :) I followed the artist(Jhonen Vasquez) with his comic "Johnny the Homicidal maniac" before Zim.

The boot logo on my phone is the Irken Armada logo. And I used to have the armada logo in the rear window of one of my cars too.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Kaos wrote:
JHScoot wrote:
Kaos wrote: Yeah, its a Vietbodge reject. But the best thing about them is that they look pretty. Much better that they're window dressing than on the road.

A bodge is a bike thats been poorly rebuilt and is generally extremely unsafe.

Usually these are reconstructed in Vietnam and will be several frames welded together, the motor will have parts of coffee cans used for gaskets and often bits of wire and random screws holding things on that should be much more securely attached.

There's at least 2 signs that I can see on this bike. First off is the yellow kickstand boots. These are basically only made in Vietnam and you never see them on a bike that's never been outside the states.

The second is that this is a Vespa Super. It SHOULD have 8" wheels on it, this one has 10" wheels on it and they're sitting fairly far out of the fender.

This is also a common mod. To weld the end of a 10" fork onto the 8" fork so they can mount the larger wheel.
Also, the paint and accessories. As weird as this sounds, bodges are tarted up on the outside to look really good. So there will often be a non-original paint color, lots of chrome and accessories and non-OEM seats, etc. Just like this one has! The poorly-cast wings on the legshield are another telltale sign.

Rover Eric wrote a pretty good bodgespotting guide here:
http://www.rovers-usa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1938

ModernVespa Bodgespotting thread:
http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic70412

Bar Italia's Bodge Guide:
http://www.baritaliaclassics.com/Site/Vietbodge.html

And:
http://www.scooterlounge.com/Vespa/Asian/Asian.shtml
http://www.thevespawizard.com.au/the_black_vbb.htm
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

So what is the root of the word "bodge"? )I keep thinking of a badly restored Dodge being called a Bodge, but I know that's not it.) I haven't found the root of it online anywhere. It is a word that seems to exist in and of itself. An enigma.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Wikipedia wrote:Bodge: A clumsy or inelegant job, usually a temporary repair.
:P
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

ericalm wrote:HUGE MULTI-QUOTE IN DEPTH EXPLANATION FROM ABOVE
I put that in the buying FAQ... damned good info there.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Kaos wrote:I followed the artist(Jhonen Vasquez) with his comic "Johnny the Homicidal maniac" before Zim.
JTHM is twisted brilliance.

Z?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Invader Zim is one of those weird properties that somehow got discovered by the Hot Topic crowd years after it was originally aired. I think they've made more in Zim merchandising in the past 5 years than when the show was actually on TV.
Skootz Kabootz wrote:So what is the root of the word "bodge"? )I keep thinking of a badly restored Dodge being called a Bodge, but I know that's not it.) I haven't found the root of it online anywhere. It is a word that seems to exist in and of itself. An enigma.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bodge
The term "bodge" derives from Middle English boccen, which means "to mend."
There's also "bodging," a type of woodworking. Wiktionary lists it as a related term, but Wikipedia says the etymology of "bodging" and "bodger" (in the woodworking sense) are unknown.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:So what is the root of the word "bodge"? )I keep thinking of a badly restored Dodge being called a Bodge, but I know that's not it.) I haven't found the root of it online anywhere. It is a word that seems to exist in and of itself. An enigma.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bodge
Well don't I feel silly. Why didn't that come up when I Googled it? Exactly what I was looking for. Thx Eric & LMC

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

My copy of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac and Squee sit on the bookshelf next to the Gaiman collection. :D
superseagulls

DM Store?

Post by superseagulls »

Kaos wrote:There are at least three places in Portland that I know of that have them in the windows, and 1 Gelato shop that uses a LX50 for a menu holder just inside the door of the shop(They're in a front basket).
You have probably seen the black Vintage Lambretta in the Dr Martens store on Broadway?
It's a really genuine British import with it's original license plates and tax disc....
Kaos

Re: DM Store?

Post by Kaos »

superseagulls wrote:
Kaos wrote:There are at least three places in Portland that I know of that have them in the windows, and 1 Gelato shop that uses a LX50 for a menu holder just inside the door of the shop(They're in a front basket).
You have probably seen the black Vintage Lambretta in the Dr Martens store on Broadway?
It's a really genuine British import with it's original license plates and tax disc....
I have, and if memory serves its a Jet200 to boot(Not 100% sure of that, been a while since I've seen it)

I've spent many hours trying to come up with a solid plan to liberate it from the window :)
amudzen

Post by amudzen »

I think putting scooters up as decorations is a cool idea. I would have liked seeing one.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Legshield trim running to the end of the floorboards (instead of ending where the legshield meets the floorboards) is another common bodge giveaway. Sure, some do this in the states, but it is not correct to the bike and nearly 100% of viet bodges do it.

Seriously, once you get used to looking for these things, you can spot them from 15 miles away.
Valves are for wussies.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

That's parked in front of the flagship Capogiro Gelato shop in Center City, Philadelphia. Decadent treats at indecent prices.
ModBud #442