I love my Blur 220...but...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

killbilly

I love my Blur 220...but...

Post by killbilly »

...I made a horrible mistake today.

I rode a friend's Vespa GTS 250.

Magnificent machine. Refined, comfortable. Expensive.

I know it's a totally different bike from the Blur, but I can't help but have "grass is greener" syndrome right now.

Hating myself at the moment.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

That's what I think of you blur 220 owners over my pmx. Sometimes anyway. :lol:
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

the grass isn't greener just different shades of green. The cure is to own both lawns :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Test drive ride a Roketa or JMStar 250 and you'll stop hating yourself in seconds.
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

Heh, I get that.

I bought the Blur because I wanted something that was powerful and handled well. And I definitely got that. But it's definitely a sporting weapon compared to the Vespa, and in retrospect, I'm not sure a sporting weapon was the right choice.

I like the metaphor about owning both lawns. :D
Rooky

Post by Rooky »

Owning both lawns is fine, it's mowing them thats a killer... :D
Rodger and Tami
Road Rash Scooter Club
of Central Iowa
Greta

Post by Greta »

hahaha..oh my that was too funny! :lol:
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I've always said that my tastes are simple, I just want one of each! Not surprisingly, my wife disagrees!
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

A little bird told me that there was going to be a new performance clutch kit for the Blur 220 soon...that should take some of the edge off VespaLust...
dawg onit

Post by dawg onit »

I don't want no shifty, I just wanna go by really fast to where you can't quite make me out , you know, like a BLUR! :lol:
crackhead

Post by crackhead »

Rippinyarn wrote:I've always said that my tastes are simple, I just want one of each! Not surprisingly, my wife disagrees!
Oh no, you didn't try to sell her on a blond and a brunette, did you?
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

I flirt with other bikes and scooters all the time, but I keep coming back to my Blur (the 150cc version). As for the Vespa, there are scooters, then there are Vespas. There's just nothing else like riding a Vespa. If you are like me you will love your Blur for several years while saving up for your Vespa. Currently I'm in love with the GTV 300 in brown. Ummmmmmmm.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

Rippinyarn wrote:I've always said that my tastes are simple, I just want one of each! Not surprisingly, my wife disagrees!
I have that same problem. I want one each of:

1. Modern Vespa.
2. Vintage Vespa or Stella.
3. Maxi scooter (Burgman).
4. Modern Standard bike (Harley Sportster or Triumph).
5. Cafe racer.
6. Restored vintage Honda.
7. Bobbed single cylinder bike (Suzuki S40).
8. Modern cruiser (Vulcan 900).
jasondavis48108

you know, I used to think I wanted a buch of different scooters and motorbikes and mopeds, just tons of toys. After buying the sh150i I've realized that I actually ahve to remind myself to ride the Buddy at least once a week so it doesn't get all gummed up. It would be great to own several bikes if they didnt have to be run regularly in order to keep them in good working order. As it is though, I can't imagine owning more than two bikes or scooters at this point. I might feel differently though if I had a garage, at this point when I want to ride the Buddy I have to roll it out from behind our fence in the back yard which, although not too terribly difficult, is kind of a pain in the butt. :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
TVB

Post by TVB »

I want one of each of:
1. Buddy 50
2. 24-speed Trek bike
3. bus pass
4. next-door neighbor with hatchback to borrow from time to time for big errands or trips out of town

Unfortunately I don't have #4, so I have to own it myself. Otherwise, I am content. :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KCScooterDude wrote:
I have that same problem. I want one each of:

1. Modern Vespa.
2. Vintage Vespa or Stella.
3. Maxi scooter (Burgman).
4. Modern Standard bike (Harley Sportster or Triumph).
5. Cafe racer.
6. Restored vintage Honda.
7. Bobbed single cylinder bike (Suzuki S40).
8. Modern cruiser (Vulcan 900).
I have a list so long I can't see the end of it, even if I stand on my chair.

As is, I have to justify having 3 in the stable. I recently had to turn down an offer on a vintage Honda (CB160) that's pretty high on that long list. Sigh. But as I told the would-be seller of that bike, I'm fortunate to have someone in my life to remind me that we're going to want to retire someday and that we just paid a massive property tax bill and all that other stuff that gets pushed out of my mind when I see a beautiful bike. :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

jasondavis48108 wrote:you know, I used to think I wanted a buch of different scooters and motorbikes and mopeds, just tons of toys. After buying the sh150i I've realized that I actually ahve to remind myself to ride the Buddy at least once a week so it doesn't get all gummed up. It would be great to own several bikes if they didnt have to be run regularly in order to keep them in good working order. As it is though, I can't imagine owning more than two bikes or scooters at this point. I might feel differently though if I had a garage, at this point when I want to ride the Buddy I have to roll it out from behind our fence in the back yard which, although not too terribly difficult, is kind of a pain in the butt. :lol:
I've mellowed. I could be legitimately happy with three bikes:

1) Scoot for basic city-commuter duty, getting beer, etc.
2) naked sport/hooligan bike - something like a KTM Duke, HawkGT, Triumph Speed Triple or Speed 4, maybe a Thruxton
3) something for touring - BMW R11-series, Multistrada, Versys, maybe a CB1 with bags and a shield. Basically, as long as it's got a smooth-running liter-sized motor and isn't a cruiser or raw sport bike, I'd consider it.
jasondavis48108

killbilly wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:you know, I used to think I wanted a buch of different scooters and motorbikes and mopeds, just tons of toys. After buying the sh150i I've realized that I actually ahve to remind myself to ride the Buddy at least once a week so it doesn't get all gummed up. It would be great to own several bikes if they didnt have to be run regularly in order to keep them in good working order. As it is though, I can't imagine owning more than two bikes or scooters at this point. I might feel differently though if I had a garage, at this point when I want to ride the Buddy I have to roll it out from behind our fence in the back yard which, although not too terribly difficult, is kind of a pain in the butt. :lol:
I've mellowed. I could be legitimately happy with three bikes:

1) Scoot for basic city-commuter duty, getting beer, etc.
2) naked sport/hooligan bike - something like a KTM Duke, HawkGT, Triumph Speed Triple or Speed 4, maybe a Thruxton
3) something for touring - BMW R11-series, Multistrada, Versys, maybe a CB1 with bags and a shield. Basically, as long as it's got a smooth-running liter-sized motor and isn't a cruiser or raw sport bike, I'd consider it.
right now I have

(1) Buddy 50 to satisfy my tinkering obsession

(2) Honda sh150i for general commuting and in city transport/errands

what I need is something I can at least somewhat safely ride in the winter here in michigan. I'm thinking one of the following

(a) silverwing or burgman with a trike kit
(b) an Ural with a powered side car
(c) a VW trike
(d) a CanAm spider
(e) a dune buggy with crazy winter tires.

If I could get one of those to add to the collection then I don't think I'd be lacking at all :lol:

As it stands I think I'll be settleing for an A2B europa with studded tires, how I hate having to be fiscally responsible :lol:
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Just because some people like to snark about weather up here, let me interrupt this thread with this:

"Personal property tax? What's that?" :P

I now return you to your scheduled programming:

The missing scoot that I "really need" is a "50cc" town scoot that I can park on the sidewalk here and there. I have the Bajaj and Vespa for my old school commuting and club rides and the Blur for everything else (commuter, hooligan bike, touring, etc.)
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
maribell

Post by maribell »

Don't ever give Vespa Austin your money. Please. They will make you regret it.
Johnny5

Post by Johnny5 »

Billy I know what you mean. I had me a friends ET2 to wrench on a few years ago and it sure was sweet. and smooth. Might I mention it looked sharp and was well built too. 8)

But honestly, it would become too mundane. Every time I pull out into traffic I don't want to be calm and civilized. Sometimes I wanna let er' rip and skim the front wheel off the ground! :twisted:
06' Rattler 70bbk, pipe, vari, clutch/center springs
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

Rippinyarn wrote:"Personal property tax? What's that?" :P
In Arlington County, it amounts to about $20 a year for my Buddy 125.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

jasondavis48108 wrote:you know, I used to think I wanted a buch of different scooters and motorbikes and mopeds, just tons of toys. After buying the sh150i I've realized that I actually ahve to remind myself to ride the Buddy at least once a week so it doesn't get all gummed up.
I know what you mean. I dream about having all those bikes, but in reality when I have more than one bike I ride my Blur 98 percent of the time. I sold my Suzuki GS550 a few months ago because we needed the extra cash and I plan to get a new project over the winter anyway. I can't say I miss riding it (though it was a fun bike), but I do miss tinkering with it. I want to cafe an old Suzuki or Honda as my next project. I'll probably go ahead and put clubman bars on it because it won't be ridden a lot.

Realistically, my next big purchase will be a fuel-injected 250 scooter or possibly a 400 Burgman or Majesty. That's what I commute on. If I did have a third bike it would be a Stella or an old Vespa, again more for tinkering and the idea of having it rather than actually riding it a lot.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Rippinyarn wrote:Just because some people like to snark about weather up here, let me interrupt this thread with this:

"Personal property tax? What's that?" :P
On my house, not my possessions!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

We have a lot of people that live out of their cars, so it's still like a house tax. :wink:
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
malakai

Post by malakai »

jasondavis48108 wrote:the grass isn't greener just different shades of green. The cure is to own both lawns :lol:
Thats what I think when I see my 125 CC Buddy and compare it to a Vespa or Blur. I wish I had that power. I do envy Vespa owners because the scooter has been elevated to classic elegance, and elegant it is, and powerful. So is the Buddy in it sown niche. So keeping things in perspective I think I will some day own a Vespa if I hurry, or maybe a Blur 220. I am afraid of power above 250, I don't think I need it, but 220-250 would make me feel more comfortable to get out of harm.
So far, with only less than 200 miles on my 2009 scooter, I know I don't ride enough to spend that kind of money. Now that I live in Florida I may ride more. The environment is friendlier, more bikes and scooters around as well as bicycles, etc...
White, 2009 125 Buddy !
jasondavis48108

malakai wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:the grass isn't greener just different shades of green. The cure is to own both lawns :lol:
Thats what I think when I see my 125 CC Buddy and compare it to a Vespa or Blur. I wish I had that power. I do envy Vespa owners because the scooter has been elevated to classic elegance, and elegant it is, and powerful. So is the Buddy in it sown niche. So keeping things in perspective I think I will some day own a Vespa if I hurry, or maybe a Blur 220. I am afraid of power above 250, I don't think I need it, but 220-250 would make me feel more comfortable to get out of harm.
So far, with only less than 200 miles on my 2009 scooter, I know I don't ride enough to spend that kind of money. Now that I live in Florida I may ride more. The environment is friendlier, more bikes and scooters around as well as bicycles, etc...
yeah, I kept my Buddy 50 when I bought the sh150. I like that I feel totally comfortable playing with the Buddy 50. Right now I'm trying to locate a trike conversion kit that will work with the Buddy 50. I found that Tow Pac makes a kit to work with the Vino but not sure if it will work with the Buddy. I really need something more suitable for winter though and I can't find any studded tires in the Buddy 50 size (I know they're illeagle but at this point I'm willing to risk it) :(
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

I am in the same boat. It is pain in the rear to unchain and roll my Buddy across the front lawn, down the narrow ramp which I have to pull in and out from my trunk every time I ride. Then gearing up, etc etc etc. Pain. All thanks to thieving punks who would not leave my scooter alone meaning I cannot park it on the street or they will steal it. Takes some pleasure out of riding, I tell you. So another scooter, even if I was more experienced rider would not be an option. A friend I ride with has Burgman. That bike is totally intimidating, huge, beautiful. I cannot see myself riding anything like that in the nearest future. I know it is fast, smooth acceleration more solid-looking. I still cannot see myself managing anything like that. It will not be as easy to steal as my present ride, to be sure, but it looks like too much bike for me. Also when we go riding side roads are 40-45mph speed limit. Doesn't matter what you are riding. You are still going at the same speed.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

I am in the same boat. It is pain in the rear to unchain and roll my Buddy across the front lawn, down the narrow ramp which I have to pull in and out from my trunk every time I ride. Then gearing up, etc etc etc. Pain. All thanks to thieving punks who would not leave my scooter alone meaning I cannot park it on the street or they will steal it. Takes some pleasure out of riding, I tell you. So another scooter, even if I was more experienced rider would not be an option. A friend I ride with has Burgman. That bike is totally intimidating, huge, beautiful. I cannot see myself riding anything like that in the nearest future. I know it is fast, smooth acceleration more solid-looking. I still cannot see myself managing anything like that. It will not be as easy to steal as my present ride, to be sure, but it looks like too much bike for me. Also when we go riding side roads are 40-45mph speed limit. Doesn't matter what you are riding. You are still going at the same speed.
You ought to maybe give the Burg a try in a parking lot. As low as the center of gravity is, I imagine all the weight disappears over 5mph.

I was intimidated the first time I tried to ride a BMW R1100-RT. It's a big, heavy bike. But it is so well-engineered properly balanced that it was effortless to handle.

Don't let the size fool you. You very likely can handle that Burgman and other larger bikes effectively.