Louder, non-Stebel, horn..?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Drumwoulf

Louder, non-Stebel, horn..?

Post by Drumwoulf »

Having had to warn two inattentive cagers who wanted to back over me already during my first 100 miles on this scoot, I found the 125 Buddy's puny stock horn worked but I'd feel a lot more secure with a louder one...! :oops:

JC Whitney advertises louder MC horns (105db, 110db) that are the same size as regular ones, and are a claimed 'low current draw'.

I'm wondering if these, simply installed where the old Buddy horn is, would be easier to fit and not as apt to 'fry' any electrics (I don't think they come with relays and fuses) then the Stebel? I don't need a deseil truck sounding blaster, just something that sounds like a louder car horn would be okay with me... :?

Any experience, opinions, ideas, re this? (Besides advising getting a Stebel?)
Thanx,
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

I've got Hella Big Reds on mine, and they mounted pretty darned easily (they're a little spendy, though -- I happened to have a set lying around).

They're loud as fvck. :D

Oh, and I've not noticed any current-draw issues, not that I've done any particularly scientific testing on it (high beam and blinker on at idle, nothing dims or does anything daffy when horn is honked, even for extended period of time -- sorry, neighbors). :wink:

Really, I think just about anything will work. The advantage of the Hellas was that one of them could be mounted where the stock horn went (and could even use the stock wiring). That, and they were essentially free since they were just sitting around the garage. :D
Huh? What just happened?
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

I thought the Stebel/Wolo Bad Boy were 130 decibel horns?!
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Tbone wrote:I thought the Stebel/Wolo Bad Boy were 130 decibel horns?!
Yah, so who said different? The MC 105-110 db horns I'm talking about from JCW are theirs, not Stebel's.. :?: :?:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

AxeYrCat wrote:I've got Hella Big Reds on mine, and they mounted pretty darned easily (they're a little spendy, though -- I happened to have a set lying around).
They're loud as fvck. :D
Oh, and I've not noticed any current-draw issues, not that I've done any particularly scientific testing on it (high beam and blinker on at idle, nothing dims or does anything daffy when horn is honked, even for extended period of time -- sorry, neighbors). :wink:
Really, I think just about anything will work. The advantage of the Hellas was that one of them could be mounted where the stock horn went (and could even use the stock wiring). That, and they were essentially free since they were just sitting around the garage. :D
Do you mean these?
http://www.safedrives.com/proddetail.as ... 801&cat=60

You used one of these to directly replace the Buddy's stock horn, is that right? Did you hafta use any addl relay, or didya just plug it in to the existing wires? (A new Hella kit of two horns comes with a relay...)

Reason I'm asking is that JCW has about the same size db horn, and I'm wondering if I need a protective relay with it?

Thanx,
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

FIAMM Freeway Blasters are $15 on the Aerostich website. You'll probably want to spend the extra $3 to get the relay for it so as not to burn up your horn wiring.

I've got a dual tone FIAMM air horn in my Lancia Zagato and it is the business.
- Bryce
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Drumwoulf wrote:Do you mean these?
http://www.safedrives.com/proddetail.as ... 801&cat=60

You used one of these to directly replace the Buddy's stock horn, is that right? Did you hafta use any addl relay, or didya just plug it in to the existing wires? (A new Hella kit of two horns comes with a relay...)

Yes, indeed. And that price is better than the one at Griot's by a few bucks. :D

I did not use a relay, however, I think that it would be considerably more wise to do so than not. I though, am not known for being particularly wise. :lol:

I've had them on there for almost a year now, and I've had no issues with melting wires/blowing fuses or the like...

It's not the safe route, but it is one that works. For me, anyway. Your results may vary. :wink: :P
Huh? What just happened?
ThisDude

Post by ThisDude »

You can do what my friends the mopeders do, they're horns are old school like the really old vespas that sound like kazoos. Use those air horns that use canned air they're plenty loud, he uses those to get the attention of 40 or so mopeds on every ride.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Bryce-O-Rama wrote:FIAMM Freeway Blasters are $15 on the Aerostich website. You'll probably want to spend the extra $3 to get the relay for it so as not to burn up your horn wiring.

Will that fit in a Buddy, you think?

A MV member was recently giving good marks to the Wolo Mini 110db. There are a couple on eBay here. Considering the price, I'm thinking of getting one just to see how it goes.

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Keys

Post by Keys »

...or you could just live in a small town like me where the need to use a horn is close to non-existant...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
brat

Post by brat »

I do believe that horn will fit very easily in the same space as the old horn.

Susan
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

brat wrote: I do believe that horn will fit very easily in the same space as the old horn.

VERY easily. :wink:

This one... (stock Buddy horn shown on right)

... Fits without a problem.

Clearly, it's a pretty large horn. :lol:
Huh? What just happened?
lou76

Post by lou76 »

another option is to find a horn off another scooter/motorcycle... i swapped mine out with an elite ch80... its not a stebel, but certainly louder... if you have a used motorcycle parts joint or motorcycle junkyard in your area it should be easy to find one for dirt cheap...
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

ericalm wrote:
Bryce-O-Rama wrote:FIAMM Freeway Blasters are $15 on the Aerostich website. You'll probably want to spend the extra $3 to get the relay for it so as not to burn up your horn wiring.

Will that fit in a Buddy, you think?
Someone on MV put a FIAMM Freeway Blaster into an LX150, so it ought to fit into the Buddy.
- Bryce
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

ericalm wrote:Will that fit in a Buddy, you think?

A MV member was recently giving good marks to the Wolo Mini 110db. There are a couple on eBay here. Considering the price, I'm thinking of getting one just to see how it goes.

ericalm, would that horn require a relay? Or might I just plug & play, as it were. :?: [/b]
ModBud #442
bicyclerider

Post by bicyclerider »

here's a question for those in Europe?

I have been hearing the coolest horns on motorcycles during this years Tour da France. The horns are support cycles and motorcycles with camera people.

anyone know how to get a hold of one of those horns?

[/url]
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

I believe the Wolo comes with a relay as well. I'd recommend it since this type of mod would null/void your warranty if your fry out your electrical system!
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

polianarchy wrote:
ericalm wrote:Image
ericalm, would that horn require a relay? Or might I just plug & play, as it were. :?:
Alright, I just bought this horn at my local Strauss shop. Please, does ANYONE know if I'll need to install a separate relay with this horn? The package says it's 12 volts, which I believe is the same as the stock horn. I know one of y'all must have done this mod since July! Please, do tell.
Last edited by polianarchy on Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ModBud #442
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Tbone wrote:I believe the Wolo comes with a relay as well. I'd recommend it since this type of mod would null/void your warranty if your fry out your electrical system!
So if there's a relay included in the package, it will behoove me to install it. Gotcha. I guess I'll need to crack it open and see to be sure! :?
ModBud #442
10gallonhat

Post by 10gallonhat »

Please do let us know how this install goes and if there is a relay in the package... I am planning on doing the same thing for my Buddy!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

polianarchy wrote:
Tbone wrote:I believe the Wolo comes with a relay as well. I'd recommend it since this type of mod would null/void your warranty if your fry out your electrical system!
So if there's a relay included in the package, it will behoove me to install it. Gotcha. I guess I'll need to crack it open and see to be sure! :?
Someone over on MV installed on of these. Check it out here:
http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13308

From what I can see, no relay included, none needed. It draws the same as the stock horn. I guess. :?:
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

after reading this post i was going to order one of those horns off ebay, but i figured i would go check out the local auto parts store.
i went to o'reilys and bought a low tone 132 decibel air horn for $16.27 after tax.
i installed it with no relay in about six minutes, it would have taken three but i had to find the perfect spot to stuff it into, it barely fits.
it is as loud as the horn on my volvo.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

ericalm wrote:Someone over on MV installed on of these. Check it out here:
http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13308

From what I can see, no relay included, none needed. It draws the same as the stock horn. I guess. :?:
THANK YOU, ericalm! That MV thread had eluded me.
ModBud #442
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

whoops, it's not an airhorn it is a disc horn with a spiral trumpet

FIAMM freeway blaster F lowtone 132 decibels
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

robonz23 wrote:after reading this post i was going to order one of those horns off ebay, but i figured i would go check out the local auto parts store.
i went to o'reilys and bought a low tone 132 decibel air horn for $16.27 after tax.
i installed it with no relay in about six minutes, it would have taken three but i had to find the perfect spot to stuff it into, it barely fits.
What year is your Buddy? There have been some issues with cramming horns into the '07s because of the space devoted to the 12v outlet.
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

robonz23 wrote:after reading this post i was going to order one of those horns off ebay, but i figured i would go check out the local auto parts store.
You may want to reconsider the installation of a relay with that after reading this:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/horn-rel ... -relay.htm

I'd hate to see something go wrong with your horn when you really need it.

-jetboy
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I got the Wolo Mini But Loud horn installed by my fine friends at Philadelphia Scooters. It's maybe SLIGHTLY louder than the stock horn on the 2006 Buddy 125, but I'm not even sure about that. Ha! I *DO* know from some unscientific comparisons between my horn and my friend's Buddy's horn, the Wolo has a higher pitch. I commuted this morning and used it two or three times, with better results than usual.

From what I understand, no relay was needed as the horns are pretty much the same. I'm glad I decided to make the switch, even though I don't have one of those fancy-pants airhorns. It's not a marked difference, but it's enough for me.
ModBud #442