How often do you change your spark plugs?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

robby

How often do you change your spark plugs?

Post by robby »

I've had my scoot for a year and a half and put 2500 miles on it. No problems, but I figured it was worth checking the plug at this point, especially since it's a 2-stroke. It was very corroded and pretty dirty (but not blown). Not sure if that's worrisome but I put in a new one just to be sure.

Do you guys replace your plugs at set intervals or only when you have issues?
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I'm sure the experts will weigh in with more valid answers :) , but speaking for myself, I would just replace it as needed. Lot's of times you can just clean them up and regap them. Sounds like it was time to replace yours though!
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

spark plugs are cheap, when I was replacing the exhaust and rejetting I went through several plugs and I think it only cost me about $12.00. I say if you think the plug should be changed then just change it and call it good. I tend to check mine often, but thats casue I like to run on the lean side in order to get max power from the little 50cc engine.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

When I start to notice the bike running a bit rougher than I think it should, I change the plug....
juice

Post by juice »

I always replace the original plug with an iridium , never had to replace one of them .
rajron

Post by rajron »

Are you supposed to change those things?
Fourteen thousand miles, checked gap a couple of times only minor adjustments required.
robby

Post by robby »

rajron wrote:Are you supposed to change those things?
Fourteen thousand miles, checked gap a couple of times only minor adjustments required.
What did it look like? Mine showed more wear than I expected at 2500 miles. It was probably fine but with cold weather coming up I figured it was worth the $2.50.
rajron

Post by rajron »

I thought the plug looked fine, the ceramics were in good shape, the center electrode is worn a little, the edges are rounded. $2.50 is a very low expense for a peace of mind so you did a good thing.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

with a 2 stroke you will never get 14000 miles on a spark plug

honestly with a 2 stroke about 2000 miles is pushing it at that point you better have a spare in your glove box becuase it wont be long before you foul it out

also on 2 strokes all these fancy new irdium and what not plugs dont do a dardn thing so it isnt worth your extra hard earned money

a fresh bpr7hs every 2000 miles is all it takes (i belive that genuine specs the same plug as yamaha for the hm engines) some of the off brands spec 8s instead of 7s and if you are running a kit it shoulr be a br8 or 9hs unless its the pollini kit as they run a diffrent plug all togehter
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

my Buddy, I changed like twice in 12k miles (2 and a half years), neither times did it feel or look like it needed to be changed, but I did it anyway just for the heck of it. My P200 plug has to be changed every couple months or so! :P
TVB

Post by TVB »

jmkjr72 wrote:honestly with a 2 stroke about 2000 miles is pushing it at that point you better have a spare in your glove box becuase it wont be long before you foul it out
I've gone over 8000 miles without replacing mine (unless a mechanic did it during a routine check-up and didn't mention it).
JoshWED

Post by JoshWED »

jmkjr72 wrote:with a 2 stroke you will never get 14000 miles on a spark plug

honestly with a 2 stroke about 2000 miles is pushing it at that point you better have a spare in your glove box becuase it wont be long before you foul it out
i agree. i consider plugs to be scooter candy.
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

TVB wrote:
jmkjr72 wrote:honestly with a 2 stroke about 2000 miles is pushing it at that point you better have a spare in your glove box becuase it wont be long before you foul it out
I've gone over 8000 miles without replacing mine (unless a mechanic did it during a routine check-up and didn't mention it).
more then likely they did the service says to clean and regap and mor often then not i have seen wrenches in every shop i visted dithc the old one and put in a new one it costs more in time to clean then it does for the plug
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Spark plus are cheap and cost next to nothing from your dealer. Replace them once a year or so and you'll never have to worry about it getting old or affecting your bike's performance.
2ning4k

HuH?

Post by 2ning4k »

I realize that cell phones and social networks have eroded the ability for humans to explicitly convey useful information, but where's the clue amongst the excesses of this thread? Try one sentence. Here's the question again. I'll use small words. At what mileage is the best time to change a spark plug in a 50cc Scooter?
Robbie

Re: HuH?

Post by Robbie »

2ning4k wrote:I realize that cell phones and social networks have eroded the ability for humans to explicitly convey useful information, but where's the clue amongst the excesses of this thread? Try one sentence. Here's the question again. I'll use small words. At what mileage is the best time to change a spark plug in a 50cc Scooter?
Easy......open the owners manual and see what replacement schedule they recommend.
I would look for you, but I don't own a Buddy.....or the booklet it came with.
Small enouph words.....Read The Book!

Rob
TVB

Re: HuH?

Post by TVB »

2ning4k wrote:I realize that cell phones and social networks have eroded the ability for humans to explicitly convey useful information, but where's the clue amongst the excesses of this thread? Try one sentence. Here's the question again. I'll use small words. At what mileage is the best time to change a spark plug in a 50cc Scooter?
I guess they've eroded attention span and the ability to process and analyze multiple differing responses too.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Since 2T don't have oil changes to do, I instead make it part of my Spring maintenance to change out the spark plug needed or not. As it has been pointed out plugs are cheap, and a lot easier too change out than oil.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Loren

google.com

Post by Loren »

I realize that cell phones and social networks have eroded the ability for humans to explicitly convey useful information, but where's the clue amongst the excesses of this thread? Try one sentence. Here's the question again. I'll use small words. At what mileage is the best time to change a spark plug in a 50cc Scooter?
I guess he thought this was google or something. Ofcourse people will digress on a niche site like this.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

oh my
Attachments
snark.jpg
snark.jpg (3.68 KiB) Viewed 1908 times
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.