Cannonball 2012

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Cannonball 2012

Post by ericalm »

Patrick Owens posted some interesting info about Cannonball 2012 over on MV. He's mentioned that changes were coming for the next one. well. here are some…
The planning is getting started for the cannonball run 2012 with a big change to the classes to level the playing field and make it more competitive. A handicap system based on age of the scooter and the displacement is replacing the classes. The handicap is normalized to a 1979 P200E giving a boost to bikes older and smaller and a bit of a penalty to bikes larger and newer.

The system tries to be fair but there are sweetspots for age and performance that can (and are encouraged to) be exploited to gain an edge.

The hope is that this will encourage people to enter with older and/or smaller scooters while still being open newer larger bikes. And above all, allow all the scooters to compete on a mostly level playing field.

http://www.scootercannonball.com/
If you have any interest in doing the run in 2012, join the forums on scootercannonball.com. Discussion of dates, routes and so on is already underway!

I was all gung ho to run after 2008 but life intervened. Maybe 2012 will happen.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

By the way, I understand the reasons behind doing it this way. Not sure if it works. It's, uh, like math, dude.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
OopsClunkThud

Post by OopsClunkThud »

A 2012 Buddy 125 would have the same handicap as a 1979 P200E. Something tells me the buddy 125 can keep up with a stock p200 just fine, and the buddy would still be under warranty with roadside assistance.
Patrick Owens
www.OopsClunkThud.com
tbonestone

Post by tbonestone »

so... you gain points for having a little smaller motor, but you lose points for having a newer bike? Am i getting the gist?

I'm just not getting it. blame the dyslexic moment. I'm just plugging in the specs from a buddy 125 from '08 and not getting it.
OopsClunkThud

Post by OopsClunkThud »

tbonestone wrote:so... you gain points for having a little smaller motor, but you lose points for having a newer bike? Am i getting the gist?
That's it exactly!

The handicap gets applied to your times so a lower handicap gives you more time than someone with a higher handicap. So with your '08 125 you have a handicap of 99%, while a '79 p200 has a handicap of 100%

So if you both travel 100 miles in exactly 2 hours you would beat out the P by a little over a minute on the adjusted time.
Patrick Owens
www.OopsClunkThud.com
tbonestone

Post by tbonestone »

This whole thing has been tempting me since the first announcement I heard in '06. At the moment it's a little ways off; not to mention i don't have a bike i would make it. Santa has two visits between now and then. Maybe I'll get a 4t stella, zuma 125, or buddy blackjack like i've been asking for.
mia_mali

Post by mia_mali »

tbonestone wrote:This whole thing has been tempting me since the first announcement I heard in '06. At the moment it's a little ways off; not to mention i don't have a bike i would make it. Santa has two visits between now and then. Maybe I'll get a 4t stella, zuma 125, or buddy blackjack like i've been asking for.
Attachments
scootersanta.jpg
scootersanta.jpg (35.16 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Cannonball 2012

Post by jrsjr »

The handicap is normalized to a 1979 P200E giving a boost to bikes older and smaller and a bit of a penalty to bikes larger and newer.
Well, I guess now we have an answer to the age-old question WSWSR? (What Scooter Would Socrates Ride?) :wink:
mia_mali

Post by mia_mali »

Part of me really wants to do this. I don't think I'd place well, and I wouldn't really care about placing. The event sounds like an adventure in itself.
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

2012 is a long time ahead to start planning for, and the entire time investment doesn't look to be much more than two weeks. If you're at all interested, I would start laying the groundwork now so that as the time gets closer, you can choose to do it without worrying.

I really think everyone should do something like this at least once in your life. It's an amazing rush being left to your own wits in a semi-race across thousands of miles.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

trackpete wrote:2012 is a long time ahead to start planning for, and the entire time investment doesn't look to be much more than two weeks. If you're at all interested, I would start laying the groundwork now so that as the time gets closer, you can choose to do it without worrying.

I really think everyone should do something like this at least once in your life. It's an amazing rush being left to your own wits in a semi-race across thousands of miles.
The gears are already turning in my mind Pete, I'll be there. Most likely solo, since Jules will be elbows deep in nursing school. I plan to ship my scooter to the west coast, then ride home after the finish. Keep me posted if you're interested!
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

As of today I am one small step closer to doing this. Still many more steps to go before it's for sure though.

First thing I am going to have to do is start learning how to be a scooter repair MacGyver. Gotta be able to make repairs with spit and chewing gum out in the middle of nowhere if need be. I figure by starting out learning needed scooter repair skills, even if I end up not being able to do he run I'll still have learned something useful.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

mia_mali wrote:Part of me really wants to do this. I don't think I'd place well, and I wouldn't really care about placing. The event sounds like an adventure in itself.
I rode on the first and second Cannonball Runs and tagged along on the third. IMHO, you have the right attitude. I never went to "race" or "win." For me, surviving the adventure was enough. :wink:
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:
trackpete wrote:I plan to ship my scooter to the west coast, then ride home after the finish. Keep me posted if you're interested!
You may want to change your plans, the route is East to West for 2012.
mia_mali

Post by mia_mali »

jrsjr wrote:
mia_mali wrote:Part of me really wants to do this. I don't think I'd place well, and I wouldn't really care about placing. The event sounds like an adventure in itself.
I rode on the first and second Cannonball Runs and tagged along on the third. IMHO, you have the right attitude. I never went to "race" or "win." For me, surviving the adventure was enough. :wink:
hahah are you doing to do it in 2012?

P.S. I love the name of your scoot. I was going to name mine Bill, but I don't think anyone would've gotten that reference.
<b><i>Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads</b></i>
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jrsjr wrote:
Definitely my attitude about doing it as well. The biggest obstacle right now is cost.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
Definitely my attitude about doing it as well. The biggest obstacle right now is cost.
Definitely it is all about the fun - and the scenery. As I sit here an write this I'm thinkin, why would I want to rush to get there first? I might miss something! :P

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
ericalm wrote:
jrsjr wrote: I rode on the first and second Cannonball Runs and tagged along on the third. IMHO, you have the right attitude. I never went to "race" or "win." For me, surviving the adventure was enough. :wink:
Definitely it is all about the fun - and the scenery. As I sit here an write this I'm thinkin, why would I want to rush to get there first? I might miss something! :P
That said, it's probably not the best way to ride across the country to see the sights and so on. It's great because of camaraderie, support vehicles, planned route and so on, but it's still 8-10 days of full on riding from point to point.

Seemed like Bo, Pete and some of the 2010 riders took an extra month to ride back, taking their time and having too much fun along the way.

Given enough time, I would love to take a month or two to ride back and forth. I can't give myself that much time. It's on the bucket list, I guess.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Definitely it is all about the fun - and the scenery. As I sit here an write this I'm thinkin, why would I want to rush to get there first? I might miss something! :P
My problem is that I'd want to take a couple months to ride it.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

mia_mali wrote:
jrsjr wrote:
hahah are you doing to do it in 2012?

P.S. I love the name of your scoot. I was going to name mine Bill, but I don't think anyone would've gotten that reference.
Sorry, I've been out of town. 2012? If the body, mind, scooter, and budget are willing...

Bill! Hahaha. You should go for it. Be sure to wear your mithril shirt under your jacket when you ride. :wink:
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

TVB wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:Definitely it is all about the fun - and the scenery. As I sit here an write this I'm thinkin, why would I want to rush to get there first? I might miss something! :P
My problem is that I'd want to take a couple months to ride it.
Maybe we could start a slow man's Cannonball - see who can take the longest time and the most indirect route to get from start to finish :lol: Bet I could stretch it out to at least a year given the right funding.

OopsClunkThud

Post by OopsClunkThud »

Even though the nature of the event is to complete each day as fast as possible, there is time to stop, enjoy, photograph... if you want to. In 2008 I was able to take ride and take pictures or ride and drink in the scenery but not all three. I did allow myself time to stop for pictures, stop for coffee, stop to see the highest suspension bridge in the US, and still turned in good times.

As to the reliability of the buddy when being pushed 8hr/day nonstop, I think a good synthetic oil would have gone a long way.
Patrick Owens
www.OopsClunkThud.com
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Maybe we could start a slow man's Cannonball - see who can take the longest time and the most indirect route to get from start to finish
I think I already did that in 2006. :?
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

My problem is I'd want to take 3 weeks to do the trip just to stop and smell the roses sort of thing.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

797 miles from DC to Savannah by way of NC-12 and US 17, the scenic beach route. I'm thinking of riding, since I've always wanted to ride to the Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach and Charleston. Coming home from San D, not sure if I will ride back, trailer or ship the scooter, but that depends on how much time away from work I can arrange :D
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Right now I am 90% in. April 2012 gives me enough time to build a scooter...I'm going vintage.
I have considered running it before but there really wasn't much incentive to run vintage with all the 250 TNGs

My plan right now would put me at 83% with (hopefully) a rock solid scoot!

I don't have to win...I just have to beat the Lambrettas!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The handicapping system will really help this one and make it very interesting. I'll probably just be spectating again in 2012, but you never know.
That Scooter Guy

Post by That Scooter Guy »

I threw my name in the hat as a maybe for 2012.

I don't think I'd want to do it on my current 30 year old scooter. People do it on vintage iron every time, but I'd be satisfied with the challenge of riding a scooter cross-country. Not interested in adding the higher possibility of a mechanical problem.
ilektron

Post by ilektron »

Ever since I read about another forum member doing this, it has been bouncing around in my head. Oh, it would be awesome.

@trackpete - Are there bears on the Cannonball route?
Dad, I know everything.
- 3y/o Son
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

P.S. I love the name of your scoot. I was going to name mine Bill, but I don't think anyone would've gotten that reference.[/quote]

Bill! Hahaha. You should go for it. Be sure to wear your mithril shirt under your jacket when you ride. :wink:[/quote]

" Why that animal can nearly talk..." R
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

That Scooter Guy wrote:I threw my name in the hat as a maybe for 2012.

I don't think I'd want to do it on my current 30 year old scooter. People do it on vintage iron every time, but I'd be satisfied with the challenge of riding a scooter cross-country. Not interested in adding the higher possibility of a mechanical problem.
It's an endurance run, moderns have their share of problems during the CBR. Belts and variators are usually the first things to go.
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BuddyRaton wrote:

It's an endurance run, moderns have their share of problems during the CBR. Belts and variators are usually the first things to go.
Many riders have taken Cannonball and made it into a mechanical as well as riding test by adding all sorts of mods that are likely to fail. Those who ride bone stock scooters usually have the fewest problems. Four years ago, while other riders were wrestling with their crazy builds, Patrick had no issues with a stock SYM HD200.

If you're thinking about doing it on a 30-y.o. scoot, look at the handicapping system for 2012. It's pretty smart, taking into account age, displacement and so on.

Personally, while I think about having a go on my LX with 24K on it, I'd seriously consider taking advantage of some of the parts deals on eBay these days (thanks to totaled scooters and closed Vespa shops auctioning off their stock) and replacing the engine. If I could get my hands on a 150ie, I'd be a very happy boy indeed.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote: If I could get my hands on a 150ie, I'd be a very happy boy indeed.
Be sure to get the wiring harness, too! :wink:
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

www.teamscootertrash.com

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

ericalm wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote:

Many riders have taken Cannonball and made it into a mechanical as well as riding test by adding all sorts of mods that are likely to fail. Those who ride bone stock scooters usually have the fewest problems. Four years ago, while other riders were wrestling with their crazy builds, Patrick had no issues with a stock SYM HD200.

If you're thinking about doing it on a 30-y.o. scoot, look at the handicapping system for 2012. It's pretty smart, taking into account age, displacement and so on.

Personally, while I think about having a go on my LX with 24K on it, I'd seriously consider taking advantage of some of the parts deals on eBay these days (thanks to totaled scooters and closed Vespa shops auctioning off their stock) and replacing the engine. If I could get my hands on a 150ie, I'd be a very happy boy indeed.
It's true that modern TNGs can make it. But lets be honest, Patrick knows his way around just about any scooter and I'm sure there was plenty of night time maintainace! I just don't want people to think that they can just jump on a scooter and hit it. I was pulling for the Buddy in the last one but the crank assploded!

And no...I'm not going to do it on a 30 year old scooter...I'm planning on a 47 year old scooter! After all the handicap system explanation includes

This system is not perfect and there are loopholes, but the loopholes require effort and that is encouraged.

I'm gonna try to exploit the snot out of those loop holes!

Eric...find that motor...stuff it in and join the ride!
www.teamscootertrash.com

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

BuddyRaton wrote:Eric...find that motor...stuff it in and join the ride!
It's the expense and time of it that's most prohibitive at this point.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote:
Easier said than done. Take it from someone who's done it. :wink:

EDIT: The ride part, that is.
Last edited by jrsjr on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jrsjr wrote:
ericalm wrote:
Easier said than done. Take it from someone who's done it. :wink:
Oh I have no doubt...I'm VERY glad to have a year for the build!
www.teamscootertrash.com

OopsClunkThud

Post by OopsClunkThud »

Registration is now open. Print it out and send it in.

http://www.scootercannonball.com/registration/
Patrick Owens
www.OopsClunkThud.com