First time post....but not a noob... :)

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

noisymilk

First time post....but not a noob... :)

Post by noisymilk »

Hello all,

My name is Milk. Yes. Milk. :) been lurking for a bit, and first time posting. I purchased a new to me 09 Buddy 125 a few months back with 2500 miles. I have since added 2000 of my own, including a 400 mile one day run from Mesa AZ (where I live) to Flagstaff AZ and back one day a few weeks ago. That was just an awesome ride. Mostly done to see if the scoot could do long haul trips like that. It performed admirably.

So yeah, new to scootering, but not to 2 wheeled transport by any means. My first bike was a 400 special when I was 18. My other ride right now is an 03 Royal Enfield (which goes through varying states of ridability....hence the Buddy in the stable). I'm not afraid to tear down engines and do electrical work. My bike before the Enfield was a 1970 Norton which got a complete rewire one afternoon when I got annoyed at the previous owners work. I'm no jedi master, but I can hold my own with the wrench turning.

That said....I have this thing I want to do. After watching Hubert (thetimelessride.com) and this forums own Pete and his ride to Alaska, not to mention the fella I just found out who took a Symba to the arctic circle and back....I want to do the same thing. Long haul low cc riding. This scoots engine feels super strong and stable....parts readily available....and a fantastic was to see the country.

So as a warmup trip next year, a friend of mine is also picking up a buddy 125, and we are planning on a trip to Banff National Park in Canada. This is a warmup for what I am ultimately working toward, which is the ironbutt ultimate challenge. Deadhorse AK to Key West FL in under 30 days. Yup. I said it. Its my objective....and wouldn't it be amazing to do it on a Buddy?

But I need to present a few questions to the jedi council who reside here, if I may.

1.) Torque. How easy is it to acquire? I don't want more speed. I like riding at 45 MPH. I want more climbing power, if possible. I have read quite a bit about the roller wieghts in the CVT. It seems you can trade low end acceleration for top speed by lightening the rollers. Does this acceleration also equal more torque lower in the power band? Or is the only option a big bore kit/bigger carb and all the labor that goes with it? Plus the loss of MPG? (in which case, I will merely remain stock and grin and bear it in the hills)

2.) does anyone have a line on a better seat (ala Corbin or the like) for this scoot? The stock seat is bearable....but my aging posterior wouldn't mind better if possible.

3.) opinions on stock rear shock upgrades? There are several available. Anyone running one of the higher dollar ones? Is it worth the money? I would like to dampen the bumps feeling like they are shooting straight up my spine if possible. Front forks as well....are the upgrades worth it?

So yeah. I believe I have worked out most of my luggage arrangements. And I like the fuel carrying ideas I have seen posted....particularly the folks who are carrying a few liters in those aluminum camping fuel containers. Brilliant. I figure 3 or 4 of those in a Pelican case hard mounted to my rear rack, and I'm good to go. Planning on carrying all clothing in a drybag between my legs....and I'm creating a bolt on bar to mount to the downpipe of the frame that SHOULD allow me to put a set of highway boards just either side of the floorboard. Super important for the comfort of my 6'2" 270lb self.

Yeah...I know its a little crazy. But i have wanted to do something like this for forever. Even back in college, when my friend and I almost followed through on the "go to Germany buy a BMW motorcycle ride it across Russia sell it in the Ukraine and get home" trip.

So....yeah. I'm also long winded, and for that I apologize. But hello, and you folks have a really amazing community here.

Opinions are welcome. :)

Take care all. Be safe.

-Milk
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Re: First time post....but not a noob... :)

Post by Lostmycage »

Excellent first post and awfully ambitious! Cant' wait to read the write-ups.

Let's see here... quick answers:

1) You've got it backwards, lighten the rollers to gain acceleration. For long distance treks, the safest bet it to remain as close to stock as possible. If you want more torque for uphill jaunts, I'd go with a stiffer (1500) Contra spring (the large single spring in the clutch).

2) There's not a bolt on option. You'll have to send in a seat pan to your favorite seat fixing place. Most people add things like sheepskins, Airhawks, etc.

3) Can't speak directly on this but there's two options, YSS and NCY. Someone else will chime in. If you're thinking of upgrading the suspension, take a look at the NCY forks as well.

On a long trip like that, take lots of breaks. Not just for you, but for your engine as well. Keep in mind that it's an air cooled engine and there's no oil cooler on the 125. These things are built for around town scooting, but with some planning and precautions, they'll make it on much longer trips.

With regards to luggage, keep the pack weight on the rear seat more than the rear rack. They can only hold so much and you don't want a lot of weight out past your rear wheel anyway. Added bonus is that it acts as a backrest.

Oh, and you're crazy, but in an admirable way.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
Keys

Post by Keys »

As for what a Buddy is capable of (in Arizona) go to www.skutergruven.blogspot.com

I put over 14,000 miles on my '06 in 12 months just cruising AZ. 6 trips from Cottonwood to Phx. and back was just part of it...Very capable little machine.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

what's up Milk. Welcome to MB, and I hope your ambition turns into a reality. That sounds like an incredible trip. Googlemaps (without highways) shows it at 5615 miles, so averaging 187 miles per day is probably doable, just make sure you catch up on sleep when not riding!

I've heard lots of raves about the YSS Gas piggyback shock, it's on my wish list for another day.

beaded seat covers work well for ventilation. beadrider.com.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:beaded seat covers work well for ventilation. beadrider.com.
WalMart has a 'seat pad' in their automotive section about $20+/- that works well on a buddy seat. I think it's made of a silicone gel like substance, I have one, not too bad.....
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Lostmycage is spot on with the Contra spring torque upgrade.
If you're curious about the NCY shocks, just ask anyone with a Blackjack, or go test ride one.
The Blackjack comes stock with NCY shocks, front and rear.
noisymilk

Post by noisymilk »

Kaos and Lost:

Now you have me intrigued. How in the world does a stiffer (I assume) spring in the clutch translate into more low end torque? Because that is a rather simple thing to do from what I can see. A few bolts and try not to get nutted when the clutch comes open....then reverse it.

Boot scoot: yeah I had run those numbers as well. I figured pushing to 250 a day would allow me a few days off in the run. And 250 is not that hard to do.

Keys: cool cool rides man. You've been around. :)

Still no one with actual upgraded schocks? Would love it if someone had before and after comparison. Seems a simple thing...but my unfamiliarity with 10 inch tires and this suspension system, and the fact that the wheel is bolted to the engine and not a swing arm (the engine is the swing arm?) leaves me wondering how smooth the ride can be made. Like I said, I can grin and bear it if thats what it need be...but bolting on ride comfort is alright by me. ;)

One new detail....tires. Have read extensively, but as is usual...clear answers are hard to come by. Can a bigger tire be put on the rear? The front? I am ok with modifying the fender for fitment...its only a piece of plastic. Also, any opinions on what tires to use, with the knowledge that there may be dirt/gravel roads in my path?

thanks all for the warm welcome. Really. Appreciate it.

Oh, and for the record...finally got the %(%^*% Enfield running again today. Just gotta figure out the wobble (perhaps the shop didn't balance the tire??). Anyways....

Be safe all. Take care
-Milk

09 Blackjack
03 Royal Enfield Bullet
'09 Buddy 125 (sold)
'70 Norton Commando (sold)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

noisymilk wrote:Kaos and Lost:

Now you have me intrigued. How in the world does a stiffer (I assume) spring in the clutch translate into more low end torque? Because that is a rather simple thing to do from what I can see. A few bolts and try not to get nutted when the clutch comes open....then reverse it.

Boot scoot: yeah I had run those numbers as well. I figured pushing to 250 a day would allow me a few days off in the run. And 250 is not that hard to do.

Keys: cool cool rides man. You've been around. :)

Still no one with actual upgraded schocks? Would love it if someone had before and after comparison. Seems a simple thing...but my unfamiliarity with 10 inch tires and this suspension system, and the fact that the wheel is bolted to the engine and not a swing arm (the engine is the swing arm?) leaves me wondering how smooth the ride can be made. Like I said, I can grin and bear it if thats what it need be...but bolting on ride comfort is alright by me. ;)

One new detail....tires. Have read extensively, but as is usual...clear answers are hard to come by. Can a bigger tire be put on the rear? The front? I am ok with modifying the fender for fitment...its only a piece of plastic. Also, any opinions on what tires to use, with the knowledge that there may be dirt/gravel roads in my path?

thanks all for the warm welcome. Really. Appreciate it.

Oh, and for the record...finally got the %(%^*% Enfield running again today. Just gotta figure out the wobble (perhaps the shop didn't balance the tire??). Anyways....

Be safe all. Take care
Think of it like slipping the clutch a bit on a manual bike. You get more torque due to higher RPMs when the clutch engages.

Yes, the engine is also the swingarm, and yes the ride can be made reasonably smooth. I've ridden the Blackjack, which has the NCY upgraded shocks and it rides a lot nicer than the stock Buddy.

A bit bigger tires can be fitted, but the only larger rimmed GY6's are 12" rims which will contact the case on the Buddy.
TVB

Post by TVB »

noisymilk wrote:Boot scoot: yeah I had run those numbers as well. I figured pushing to 250 a day would allow me a few days off in the run. And 250 is not that hard to do.
I've done almost 250 in a day, on a 50cc so it's definitely do-able on a 125cc. It's a lot of time in the saddle, though; make sure to stop and smell the cheeseburgers along the way.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

TVB wrote:I've done almost 250 in a day, on a 50cc so it's definitely do-able on a 125cc. It's a lot of time in the saddle, though; make sure to stop and smell the cheeseburgers along the way.
That's how you know you're still in America. :wink:

Milk, take a look at this:
CVT's explained

The contra spring is what keeps the driven (rear) pulley closed and it's what offers opposing force to the variator. A stiffer spring effectively let's it slip into a lower gear ratio (for climbing and roll on acceleration) but it lets it "down shift" more easily. When cruising, as long as it's not too stiff of a spring, you'll be just about where you were with the stock spring.

Think of it like painting: changing the variator weights is the broad stroke of the brush, changing the contra spring is the small detail brush.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
noisymilk

Post by noisymilk »

Hello there Lost...

Ah! That makes perfect sense. I thought that spring only had to do with what RPM the clutch disengaged. I did not realize there were pulleys front AND back. Makes perfect sense. A tighter spring would totally make the ratio between front a rear pulley more torquey/less acceleration than a less tight spring. Very interesting (obviously I know more about traditional gear boxes than CVT's, although I'm learning fast).

Thanks much for the post. And very cool...it seems there really is some easy 'bolt on' torque available.

Am I correct in my thoughts that this will slow the acceleration slightly, but not affect top speed terribly (say 2-3 MPH...which I don't use anyways)?

Be safe all.

-Milk
-Milk

09 Blackjack
03 Royal Enfield Bullet
'09 Buddy 125 (sold)
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

noisymilk wrote:Hello there Lost...

Ah! That makes perfect sense. I thought that spring only had to do with what RPM the clutch disengaged. I did not realize there were pulleys front AND back. Makes perfect sense. A tighter spring would totally make the ratio between front a rear pulley more torquey/less acceleration than a less tight spring. Very interesting (obviously I know more about traditional gear boxes than CVT's, although I'm learning fast).

Thanks much for the post. And very cool...it seems there really is some easy 'bolt on' torque available.

Am I correct in my thoughts that this will slow the acceleration slightly, but not affect top speed terribly (say 2-3 MPH...which I don't use anyways)?

Be safe all.

-Milk
Depends on which spring you use, I've found that the 1000RPM spring will give you a little torque boost with no noticable loss of top speed. The 1500RPM you'll loose just a hair of top speed, and the 2000RPM you'll loose quite a lot of top speed. Assuming your bike is stock, if its modified, then all that data goes right out the window :)
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

If this tells you anything... I have the Dr.Pully performance kit installed - performance variator, 1500 spring, and 11g sliders. I lost about 8-10mph off the top end, I hold speed going up hill much better (this change was my goal in the mod), and am faster off the line. I can even pop little wheelies. I'm considering going back to the stock spring next time I have the transmission opened up to check out the difference it makes first hand. Get a little top end back. Hope that helps you out.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

Hey Milk! Cool choice, if I'm allowed to say so - low power is definitely an addictive way to travel. Hell yeah you should go for it!

Banff is totally amazing and a scooter is a great way to see it as long as you go outside peak season... I was there at the tail end and was getting passed by RV's left and right.

On the other hand, at one point I stopped to take a leak and looked up mid-leak to see a frickin' HUGE black wolf staring at me from about twenty feet away. Thankfully he did not eat me or my scooter...

FWIW in most of Canada I was surprised to find even smaller roads tend to have wide shoulders that are very safe to ride on when going up hills (not so in most of the US, though we are more likely to have climbing lanes).
noisymilk wrote:2.) does anyone have a line on a better seat (ala Corbin or the like) for this scoot? The stock seat is bearable....but my aging posterior wouldn't mind better if possible.
I've never understood seats being uncomfortable, maybe I just have a magic butt. I'd suggest adding a cheap liner/padding instead of replacing the seat just from simplicity+cost perspectives. I've seen a lot of adventure motorcyclists rocking sheepskin padding, it's supposedly quite handy.
noisymilk wrote:3.) opinions on stock rear shock upgrades?
I commented in the fuel thread, but do be warned that with gear on the back you may have problems with the stock suspension, so I'd definitely consider an upgrade. I can't recommend one personally, but the idea is a good one.
noisymilk wrote:I figured pushing to 250 a day would allow me a few days off in the run. And 250 is not that hard to do.
Yeah, I wouldn't consider this to be "that hard" in theory - the reality I expect is a bit different. It took me 34 days to do the ~8,000 miles I did from DC to Deadhorse, and that included a week side trip to Montana for service and a very inefficient route... but...

The ~8,000 miles home *from* Deadhorse took me over 60 days due to many problems I encountered, on the other hand (and a few weeks of chillin' here and there).

I met a ton of people who thought getting down from Deadhorse was way tougher than getting up there just because of the amount of abuse the trip up caused.

re: tires. The stock tires on my Rattler (different than the Buddy's) were awesome in dirt/gravel/etc. and lasted frickin' forever. Highly recommended.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
noisymilk

Post by noisymilk »

Pete, you must have a magic ass. :)

Yes, totally considering the shock upgrade (maybe I should have just gotten a blackjack in the first place?)

And yeah, considering a tire upgrade. Don't know if it will be necessary for the Banff trip (not a lot of off road riding planned for that). But am open to anyones ideas of a good mostly road/a little dirt and gravel tire.

Much ridiculously longer response on my other thread.

An honor to meet you, by the way.
-Milk

09 Blackjack
03 Royal Enfield Bullet
'09 Buddy 125 (sold)