Rubber on Stella

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

T'Pring

Rubber on Stella

Post by T'Pring »

My Stella's rubber is weathered and cracked. I've seen a few kits that don't seem to fill the need. I think the scooter was kept outside for much of its life.

How should I care for the rubber bits? Should I replace them? And does anyone know of a diagram that might list them so I know the name when it comes time to order.

Not able to describe all the bits but, just about any rubber bit visible seems to be affected.
If you choose not to decide -- you still have made a choice.
tbonestone

Post by tbonestone »

I didn't really concern myself with the rubber bits. My stella was a rider, not a show bike. I made sure everything that was important to me was always fresh and clean, like tires, air bellows.
roasteroo

Bad rubber

Post by roasteroo »

I'm interested in this as well. My 2009 has never been stored outside and I'm having issues as well. Rubber on the front bake hose boot at handle, around ignition, intake hose.. Etc.

How do I know the new rubber will be better? It is on my 83honda 250r after all these years being outside. $160 dollars is a little too much. The other kit doesn't have enough.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There are tons of replacements for these because you don't need Stella-specific parts. Almost anything for a Vespa P or PX will work.

See:
http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_page ... -Parts/257
Motorsport has a good online "scooter fit" feature so you know what will work with a Stella.

For a parts reference, check out:
http://www.modernbuddy.com/pdf/stella_parts_catalog.pdf

To maintain rubber parts:
1. Keep them clean.
2. Keep them out of the sun and away from heat if possible. Also try to keep the scooter out of extreme cold. (Use a cover.)
3. Use a rubber/vinyl protectant. Something like this, with UV protection:
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G4000
If you get a spray, spray onto a cloth then wipe onto parts. Some of these products are bad for metal.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Steady Teddy

Post by Steady Teddy »

The guys at Motorsport told me the reason it ages so easily/quickly is because it is real rubber. The way old school rubber was made back in the day. Hence, it just does not last as long as modern rubber variants. So the newer Piaggio parts last much longer than the LML rubber pieces. I have had 2009 Stellas with a couple hundred miles on them that have cracks and dried rubber components on them. Kinda blows...
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

A vintage scooter with vintage parts - damn, who would have expected that?
roasteroo

Post by roasteroo »

So, if this thing is built with vintage rubber,

What vintage care should be should be used?
Would modern products work on this vintage product?

Vasaline?
Wurth rubber care?
Bacon grease?
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

its not just that its real rubber but its a cheap real rubber and the damage has been done before it even gets to us
thanks to the climate the stella is built in
being they are true rubber parts even with good care you shouldnt expect more then 3 to 5 years from the day they were made for life expectancey

so chance are those of us that got 08s even when they were brand new on the show room floor the ruber was pst its shelf life
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

roasteroo wrote:So, if this thing is built with vintage rubber,

What vintage care should be should be used?
Would modern products work on this vintage product?

Vasaline?
Wurth rubber care?
Bacon grease?
See my post above.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…