Busted exhaust bolt...

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Wheelz

Busted exhaust bolt...

Post by Wheelz »

Last nite when I was on my way home from work, my scoot started to sound a bit odd, when ever i gave it some gas, the sound got louder.
After, i got home i noticed that one of the bolts that hold my pipe to the engine has completely broke the whole top of it is gone, so I'm guessing the extra noise is an exhaust leak.
The questions I have are:
1. Can I just get a replacement bolt from a hardware store, or do i need to go to the shop to have this fixed?
2. If I have to go to the shop to fix it would it be okay to make the ten mile trip there on the scoot, or should I just say F' it and call roadside?

Thanx for your help again guys.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

Its a stud, not a bolt.
Is it possible that the acorn nut just worked loose?
Got a pic?
I suggest calling your shop first.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Damn, double damn!
Sounds like it's gonna be more complicated than I want it to!

No there is a break for sure, it's broke right at the engine with about an 1/8th of an inch stickin out.
"Hey You, yeah, all you'se thoughts, specially you, creepy wierd one in the corner, Screw you guys, I'm going for a ride..."
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Those studs are pressed in place, which may mean an engine removal to fix that problem :( .
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Yeah it looks as though I'm down, until after Christmas at least.
This is so wierd, a simple metal stud fails and my bike is pretty much down.

Looks like the bicycles gonna get a few more miles on em, which is a good thing around the Holidays with all the food and such.

Oh well, I still got 5 months left on my warranty this should be covered.
W/E it cost I'll be able to add to the x-mas total on the board, and it gives me just a bit more leverage in the "I need another scoot, just in case" argument.
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

I rode over 8k miles with just one bolt (couldn't find a replacement in the middle of nowhere), it was totally fine. I did need to tap on the exhaust every couple of days to make sure it was lined up right and you really couldn't tell the difference (check it on yours if it's making noise). I got a replacement from Scooterworks, in my experience these bolts need to match the head for heat properties so they expand at the same rate.

When I was in South America I sheared a bolt like that and since it was aluminum (not sure on the Rattler) we couldn't weld something onto it or drill into it to pull it out, the only way to fix would've been a new head. I presume you may be in the same situation, although 1/8" sticking out *may* give you a shot at getting it out using lock pliers - especially if that 1/8" is with the exhaust still on.

At least, on my Rattler 110 it's a reverse threaded double sided stud, not pressed in place. Unscrews pretty easily once you break the initial grip of the locktite style stuff in there. Both of my bolts unscrew from the head instead of the top when I'm taking the exhaust of these days, since the outer nuts have so much mud and stuff baked onto them and don't turn, heh.

edit to add: Seriously, your bike isn't "down." It's not a big deal, just make sure the other bolt doesn't fall out and check all the exhaust bolts (entire frame) for tension after you line it back up. You'll be fine - even with a leak, it's not a big deal. I've ridden thousands of miles with cracked exhaust headers before, it's just uncomfortable to have a 100cc engine sounding like a sick Harley.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

The exhaust flange connects to the cylinder, not the head.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

You ain't kidding about the noise, I started it up at work and brought people outside;}
I have other transpo option so it's not a major deal.
I'm a better safe than sorry kinda guy, so it's best not to push it.
Just gotta wait for my guy, to get back from the holidays, and see where we go from there.
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

B02S4 wrote:The exhaust flange connects to the cylinder, not the head.
Yeah, just like I always say Sweden when I mean Switzerland I seem to always say cylinder head when I mean cylinder... the former has put me in more embarrassing situations than the latter. ;(
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Hey Pete,

I've been on the phone with scooter works and they are trying to "find" what i'm looking for, do you remember what size studs you ordered? I found the exhaust studs for a NCY exhaust just want to make sure they are the right size?

Not just Pete but anybody that could tell me what size these things are, and if the 6mm ncy replacement studs are what i need or not.
The guy at scooterworks keeps telling me they are a hex bolt, and that is the wrong one. We are both a bit confused as to what i need, trying to explain it over the phone is a bit tough.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Maybe taking a picture of what you want and email it to them. That may help clear up some of the confusion.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

My solution, tap it out, re-thread the hole with a tap and die set and replace with a sturdy grade 8 bolt. Never need to worry about what fits again.
EZPZ #65
MotoSteve

Stud can be removed and replaced.

Post by MotoSteve »

I had the same stud break on my scoot. I took it to my mechanic and he used a pair of pliers and a torch to heat and remove the stud. If there's enough to grab onto you can do the same. If you are in doubt take it to a competent mechanic and have them do it. Be careful not to catch anything on fire and dont sheer it off completely or you'll end up having to drill and tap it as another member suggested.
KTM 950sm, "Ducati Desmo WSB" Rattler 110.
MotoSteve

Post by MotoSteve »

My mechanic found a replacement at a local hardware store. You shouldn't have to special order it from Genuine.
nissanman wrote:My solution, tap it out, re-thread the hole with a tap and die set and replace with a sturdy grade 8 bolt. Never need to worry about what fits again.
KTM 950sm, "Ducati Desmo WSB" Rattler 110.