[SR/NSR/ETC] Resolutions

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

[SR/NSR/ETC] Resolutions

Post by ericalm »

It's that time of the year, by which I mean the end (or the beginning if you're so inclined). So let's hear it, MBers, what are you planning for 2011, scooter related or not?

And how did you do on your resolutions from [url=topic14016.html]a year ago[/quote]?

As far as scooter-related resolutions go:
1. Keep my scoots cleaner. They're dirtier than ever!
2. Start doing maintenance on the Stella.
3. Do another LA-to-SF ride.
4. Make it to Amerivespa in New Orleans, regardless of how I get there.

As far as non-scootery stuff, my big goal is more creative output. I work as an art director/designer and sometimes do freelance writing about media and entertainment. Sounds creative, but little of what I get paid for is either challenging or personally rewarding. Time to get off my ass and do something new.

I also need to eat better, exercise more, and drop some weight. Yay. Apparently, the secret to this is to stop eating so much and so poorly and stop spending so much time in front of the computer and TV (often at the same time). Who knew?!?

Wow, I actually kept a couple of my 2010 scooter resolutions. The LA rally was more of a ride and MB didn't get many infrastructure improvements. Maybe in 2011!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BootScootin'FireFighter

Re: [SR/NSR/ETC] Resolutions

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

ericalm wrote:So let's hear it, MBers, what are you planning for 2011, scooter related or not?

1. Keep my scoots cleaner. They're dirtier than ever!

4. Make it to Amerivespa in New Orleans, regardless of how I get there.

exercise more
I'd definately like to keep my scooter cleaner, but since I rarely ride to work where I would get to clean it, and I don't have the resources in my building garage to do it, it's becoming a little rough looking. I still need to fix the cracked head panel and replace the left brake lever that's bent (been a few months now). The roads are covered like the Bonneville Salt Flats around here and that won't be all washed up for quite some time.

AMERIVESPA is my big ride of the year, and I already got my shifts covered to make it at least a 2 week event.

Other rides...

I'm still trying to squeeze in a day in the short future to do my Metro "pylon to pylon" adventure, posing for a scooter photo in front of all 86 subway stations in the DC/MD/VA region. That'll cover over 200 miles of city/suburban riding in 1 day.

I still need to make the trip up to Long Island, yea I might want to stop in and say hello to my parents, but it's more so to prove my father wrong once again.

I'd like to do a ride all across Virginia, covering every region, major cities, and as many counties as I can over a several day stretch. Similar to the RAW "Ride around Washington", but covering my home state.

I should also get back in the gym and work on my GTL.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

Last year's:
I managed to quit smoking, but backslid after a few months. I'm making progress on the pottery. Not quite there yet, but it's within sight! I had my first truely successful show beginning of this month. I did scooter across state lines, on a few occasions. Then there was the day-long ride towards the middle of the state. I'll consider that checked off.

This year:
-quit smoking...again, and this time, make it stick.
-get at least...hmm...1/3 of my debt paid off. That should be doable.
-be more social.
-Cut the amount of crap I own by half. Since having a sibling housemate move in and then out, I've realized I have way too much random stuff that rarely sees the light of day. Closets and spare rooms are evil things! :lol:
-Work my way back towards car-light living. My first year of scootering I used about a tank of gas in the car a month, if that. I've gotten complacent and let others convince me I should drive instead of ride much more than I should. Back to basics. Two wheels or bust for...(let's not shoot myself in the foot)...minimum 3/4 of all personal travel!
buddy boy

Post by buddy boy »

In my dotage, I've decided to keep it simple.

Sample a wide range of beers. (The new Kroger has an excellent Wine and Beer department manager.) I have already made headway on this resolution.

Join a scooter club. (Hello Seven Hills in Richmond, VA)

Buy another couple of scooters.

Add more chrome to my scooter.

Well, there you have it. I hope everyone has a great New Year.
buddy boy

Post by buddy boy »

Bootin,

If you plan on coming down to Hanover, let me know. If Annie and I can't ride with you, I can at least give you a couple of ideas on roads to travel in the area.
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

1. Loose more weight
2. Ride to work at least once
3. Find solution for helmet hair
4. If all goes well with present job start saving up for an MP3.
5. Learn to relax
6. Go on group rides
7. Install a hitch on to my mini SUV and take my scooter on vacation with me.
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
TVB

Post by TVB »

For 2010:
* Ride the scooter less, and the bicycle more.
A little, but not enough to claim success.
* See more parts of Michigan on one or both of them.
You bet (on the scooter).
* Stay off bridges that are longer than my drive to work, and taller than any of the buildings I pass on the way.
Done. :)

For 2011:
* Give my scooter the Atkins performance upgrade.
Or some less gimmicky way of losing weight. (I'm thinking less beer/wine and more pedaling/walking.) Expecting a 50cc scooter to haul 225lbs around is a bit unfair to it.
* Another 1-kilomile scooter ride around the state.
Already in the planning stages.
* I have to echo the "more creative output" goal.
I have a degree in illustration/digital media and another in computer science, neither of which I'm really taking advantage of, either at work or at play. Some of that's due to the job market, but that just means I need to figure a way around that. :|
Last edited by TVB on Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Stormswift wrote:3. Find solution for helmet hair
I've found that losing about half of it, then cutting the rest down to a quarter inch, works pretty well. Your Mileage May Vary. :)
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

TVB wrote:
I've found that losing about half of it, then cutting the rest down to a quarter inch, works pretty well. Your Mileage May Vary. :)
:lol: :rofl: :rofl: :lol:
The best idea I came up with so far is a wig that looks just like my hair. Except I never saw a wig that looks like my hair. Maybe I should have my hair trimmed shoulder length, take the trimmed part to wig maker and have a hairpiece made out of my own hair. I can have it styled and in a little hat box, ready to wear when I get to work. Is it a brilliant idea or is it it too "twisted"? :twisted: I bet I can get great mileage out of that wig!
TVB, I hate to admit it but when you get close to 50 hair is the only thing that gets thinner, regrettably waistline does not...
I am not a scooter snob.
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: [SR/NSR/ETC] Resolutions

Post by ericalm »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:I'm still trying to squeeze in a day in the short future to do my Metro "pylon to pylon" adventure, posing for a scooter photo in front of all 86 subway stations in the DC/MD/VA region. That'll cover over 200 miles of city/suburban riding in 1 day.
That's a heck of a lot of stopping and starting! That's a cool/interesting personal challenge. Maybe I need to make my riding more goal oriented, ha.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
stiffi

Post by stiffi »

Scooter related:

1. Find a way to ride to my new job (20 miles more away, and I've never driven there NOT on a highway). This will take some quality map strategery
2. Where All my Gear 95% of the time. It will never be 100%, I know that.
3. Get my wife on for a ride, at least once. First I need a passenger helmet.

Not Scooter related:
Work out more. This is eternal, with no real excuses
Get back to school. I'm currently enrolled in an MBA program, but took the last year off.
Thought I was buying a Buddy and ended up with a People 150. Hanging out for the cool conversation!
Syd

Post by Syd »

Only one, and it is both SR and NSR. Increase scooter performance by decreasing scooter load.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Quezzie

Post by Quezzie »

2011 Scooter Plans:

* Day trip to Newport.
* Overnight trip to New Hampshire...this will take some planning...
* Reach out to other scooterists in my area (hi! Anyone?)
* Get some decals or a bit of paint on my scoot, fancy it up a bit, maybe look into an upgrade kit

2010 was the first year I've owned a scooter, and it's my primary form of transport. No car, I've managed to get by with a combination of scoot, foot, bus, and if all else fails, the kindness of friends with cars. I'd always thought scooters looked like fun, but I didn't think I'd own one. It was an impulse buy last year, and it's been a great experiment and one of the best things to happen to me. I have just shy of 1900 miles on my scooter now, and I've been through cold, rain, and recently...snow. It's been great though, haha! My scooter will have been with me for one year, on Dec 31...there will be a small party. :)

For other 2011 plans...I have a KZ550 in my garage that I want to get up and running, and put some miles on. Planning to lose the last 10 lbs, earn my 2nd degree black belt, take a bartending class, meet my monthly budgets, and update my website! Among other things.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

buddy boy wrote:If you plan on coming down to Hanover, let me know. If Annie and I can't ride with you, I can at least give you a couple of ideas on roads to travel in the area.
sounds like a plan, As I formulate some sort of a plan, I'll post the details on here and let you know.
A small beenie cap works well, I use the under armor one that Ray Lewis made famous, along with an emergency comb and grease for special occassions.
ericalm wrote:That's a heck of a lot of stopping and starting! That's a cool/interesting personal challenge. Maybe I need to make my riding more goal oriented, ha.
about 75% of the trip will be in suburban stations with a few miles inbetween, the last leg will cover everything downtown, I'm sure a lot of people will get annoyed watching my try to get on the sidewalk for the photo.
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

1. Be better about helmet
2. Plan (and actually do) more "scooter possee photo mission" days for those in my circle who scoot + shoot.
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Scooter Related

1. Learn more about servicing my scoot and actually do it
2. Go on as many group rides as my scoot, time, and scheduling will permit
3. Get my full M1 by passing the DMV test
4. Acquire more riding gear be it for safety, practicality, or just fashion
5. Get a scooter tattoo of some kind
6. Continue growing as a "scooterist"
7. Get a scooter i'll look good on wearing a suit :)

that last one isn't completely necessary (or even realistic, perhaps), but a "nicer" scooter is something i will be getting, eventually. a more stylish one

Non Scooter Related, Etc

1. Lose the last 50lbs or so of my 250lb goal (almost there!)
2. Go to the gym at least 4-5 days a week until goal is met, adhere to eating meals and snacks which promote weight loss
3. Make a decision about getting a degree in Criminal Justice, obtain handgun permit, obtain concealed weapon permit
4. Train in basic MMA. Something I know little about, but would like to know more and get started
5. Get laid more
6. Be more assertive and affable
7. Make more monies.
8. Last but not least.....GET MORE ORGANIZED.
9. Oh, one more. Write a screenplay, teleplay, create a sitcom(s), TV drama, etc. An old hobby and interest of mine, I have a pirated copy of Final Draft loaded up and ready to roll. Now i just have to get rolling. A page a day....thats all i ask of myself :)

i think thats it but idk :?:
trackpete

Post by trackpete »

My New Year's Resolution is to raise at least $15,000 for charity* in 2011. I picked this number because it's just under three times what I raised in 2010 and I really feel like I didn't try nearly hard enough - I wanted a goal that was extreme enough to force me to go about it differently.

*(Operation Smile and Unicef are the likely candidates)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1tTNVh">DC to the Arctic Circle! An old youtube playlist.</a>
Tam Tam

resolutions

Post by Tam Tam »

Resolutions:
Ride as much as possible
Learn to perform more of the maintanence myself
(already have a scooter tattoo....3 years old now)
and make Amerivespa N.O. happen, come hell or high water!!!!
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

As new years resolutions seem to be some sort of curse upon the given goal or activity in question, I will resolve to not do the following

[SR]

(1) Get a 70cc kit for the Buddy and install it myself
(2) Get better cold weather gear so I ride later into the season (I kinda wussed out this year)
(3) take at least an overnight trip on the scooter

[NSR]
(1) Ride my bicycles more during the warmer weather. (at this point I only ride when the snow starts to fall)
(2) learn to take more time for myself
(3) Learn more about number theory
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

trackpete wrote:My New Year's Resolution is to raise at least $15,000 for charity* in 2011. I picked this number because it's just under three times what I raised in 2010 and I really feel like I didn't try nearly hard enough - I wanted a goal that was extreme enough to force me to go about it differently.

You're makin' us all look bad, Pete. :)

My resolution is to tone down my general level of awesomeness so that other people's awesomeness can shine forth and not be shadowed by the radiant awesomeness of me. :D

Er...probably oughta quit drinkin' for a while, too.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

killbilly wrote:
trackpete wrote:My New Year's Resolution is to raise at least $15,000 for charity* in 2011. I picked this number because it's just under three times what I raised in 2010 and I really feel like I didn't try nearly hard enough - I wanted a goal that was extreme enough to force me to go about it differently.

You're makin' us all look bad, Pete. :)

My resolution is to tone down my general level of awesomeness so that other people's awesomeness can shine forth and not be shadowed by the radiant awesomeness of me. :D

Er...probably oughta quit drinkin' for a while, too.
i was just gonna say!

i do give my time to charity, though. thats gotta count for something. and it doesn't involve fun stuff like riding a scooter to the Arctic

yeah freezing your ass off while riding through snow and blowing little 2 stroke engines along the way. sounds like heaps 'o fun! :shock:
Syd

Post by Syd »

jasondavis48108 wrote:...Learn more about number theory
I was taking number theory - the mathematical kind - when I took some time off to study the financial kind (gotta eat, doncha know), and, well, the real world numbers always kept me from going back.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jasondavis48108

Syd wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:...Learn more about number theory
I was taking number theory - the mathematical kind - when I took some time off to study the financial kind (gotta eat, doncha know), and, well, the real world numbers always kept me from going back.
yeah, I hate having to eat. Far too many compromises get made in the name of food :lol: Now that I have my job secured though it's time to get back to the good stuff. I just hope I havn't gotten too rusty, I've been teaching developmental math for almost six years now, so I don't get to talk much about "real math". Luckily I still hang out with one of my math buddies who is currently working on his phd in logic and he is also interested in persuing number theory this summer so he should keep me focused :D
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Buddytheelf723

Post by Buddytheelf723 »

2011 Scoots Plan:

*Learn the inner working of my Buddy 50cc
*Meet more scooter pals in the Boston area (hit me up guys!)
*Spend as much time on my scooter as possible
*Keep him a little cleaner…
*Join more rides
*Plan adventure day trips
*Get my wife to ride with me just ONCE
*Take more pics of me and my Buddy everywhere we go
*Bring more awareness to the non-scooting residents of Boston about how not to be an A-hole to scooter riders
*Just enjoy another year with my Buddy…life just isn’t the same if I don’t ride everyday!

Non-scooter stuff for 2011

*Spend more time out doors
*Do more charity projects
*Sail as much as possible…the sailing season here is too short!
*Rock climb way way way more!
*Run a 5K with my wife
*Get my little pups to the park more often

2010 was a great year for me. I traded in my 1st no-name, beat up, old piece of crap scooter for my perfect, amazing, incredible, flawless Buddy on my 30th b-day! I hope all my fellow scooter riders have a fantastic year and I hope all your hopes and dreams come true! Be safe out there comrades!

Happy New Years EVERYONE!!!
jasondavis48108

Buddytheelf723 wrote:2011 Scoots Plan:

I've found this to be every bit as enjoyable as riding the Buddy 50 if not more so :D
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

jasondavis48108 wrote:
Buddytheelf723 wrote:2011 Scoots Plan:

I've found this to be every bit as enjoyable as riding the Buddy 50 if not more so :D
I forgot one of my goals: I want to learn to do basic oil change on my Buddy and buy a torque wrench. A house with garage is not a bad idea either.....
I am not a scooter snob.
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Carry a hat in your pet carrier.
Our club had hats made to match this year's club shirts.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

I resolve 2 not b so laz
paige

Post by paige »

"3. Find solution for helmet hair "

helmethoods@yahoo.com

Jolene makes cool under helmet liners. Her website link looks broken, but I think the email is still good.

helmethoods.net

http://jolenedesigns.blogspot.com/2007/ ... hoods.html
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ i've just started to wear a beanie. even with my hair super short helmet hair persists and i got tired of it

never wore beanies before because my face was too round and fat for them and they never fit right on my big head. now that i lost weight my face looks long(er) so i think they look ok on me

helmet hair no more. just don't snatch the beanie off my head. looks like a rats nest under there :shock:
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

JHScoot wrote:^ i've just started to wear a beanie. even with my hair super short helmet hair persists and i got tired of it

never wore beanies before because my face was too round and fat for them and they never fit right on my big head. now that i lost weight my face looks long(er) so i think they look ok on me

helmet hair no more. just don't snatch the beanie off my head. looks like a rats nest under there :shock:
Back when I lived in Seattle, we did a lot of large group rides that would usually conclude in a bar or restaurant for a few beers and some storytelling. It was always fun.

You could always spot the guys who wore Arai helmets. Those of us who had short hair all had these little fauxhawk/dorsal fins caused by the helmet padding.
ShayneThill

Post by ShayneThill »

Stormswift wrote:
TVB wrote:
:lol: :rofl: :rofl: :lol:
The best idea I came up with so far is a wig that looks just like my hair. Except I never saw a wig that looks like my hair. Maybe I should have my hair trimmed shoulder length, take the trimmed part to wig maker and have a hairpiece made out of my own hair. I can have it styled and in a little hat box, ready to wear when I get to work. Is it a brilliant idea or is it it too "twisted"? :twisted: I bet I can get great mileage out of that wig!
TVB, I hate to admit it but when you get close to 50 hair is the only thing that gets thinner, regrettably waistline does not...
Human hair wig is as real as your hair. If you never saw a wig that looks like your hair, you might have only seen the synthetic wigs.