If you didn't get a Buddy...what would have been your choice

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DarbyWalters

If you didn't get a Buddy...what would have been your choice

Post by DarbyWalters »

Without referring to your Buddy 125 (say they were not even available), what "scooter" would have been on the top of your list and why?

If you just can't make yourself ignore your Buddy...then what would be your choice for a second scooter? Smaller engine, Bigger engine, Racing/Sporty Style, More Retro Style...ect.
Founder of www.LOSTKJs.com ... Jeep Liberty Forum

Lambretta UNO 150cc 4 Stroke...Hope I can still hang around here!

GY6B...4 Valve Head, 26mm carb, Oil Cooler, High Compression head...all Stock...64mpg Top End.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

We got the Buddy for my wife because I already had my Vespa LX150. She wasn't even 100% sure she wanted a scooter until she saw the Buddy, sat on one and fell for it. There are several scoots out there that are good quality but wouldn't have had the same "magic" combination of aesthetics and fit (Kymco People 125, Piaggio Fly, Vino).

SO, most likely contender would have been a used Vespa ET4, preferably in some appealing 2-tone. Other possibilities may have been an Aprilia Mojito 150 or a Honda Metropolitan 150, but she's a tall gal and probably would prefer something that sits higher.

Of course, now that she has some riding experience she really wants a Stella (should they become available in CA).
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

I considered lots of other scooters, and researched everything I could find on the web. I didn't know a single person who owned a scooter.

Vespa was out for me due to cost. By all accounts they are great scooters, and their owners will mostly tell you the extra $$ is well spent. I had to answer to the family CFO though, and she wasn't convinced at all that a scooter was a good idea and there was no way I could justify the cost of a Vespa to her.

Metro Scooter in Cincinnati was the first (and ultimately only) scooter shop I set foot in. I had pretty much decided I wanted a Buddy by that point, but I figured I'd see what else they had there as well. At that time Metro sold Genuine, TGB, and TNG. The TNG models did nothing for me and didn't seem to have very good reputations.

The guy helping me there, Seth, rode a Buddy. That had a huge influence on me. I sat on and considered a TGB Laser R9, which I really liked the look of and was in the same price range as the Buddy. I liked the colors and had my daughter and my wife sit on it with me. Seth told me it wasn't as fast as the Buddy, but it had a little more room on the seat for two. It was also a little more money than the Buddy. I looked at the Blur while I was there and I liked it, but it was too much money for me.

If I were in the market now I'd still probably get a Buddy, but I'd also really consider a Blur, and if Genuine ever decideds to actually market the 200cc version of the Blur I'd really want one.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

I didn't get a buddy.

I chose a Vespa LX 150cc.

Why:

I test rode the buddy. Liked it's zippiness off of initial throttle twist. The bike itself didn't "feel" right to me.

I've had many friends in the past few months actively ask me about scooters. The first scooter I recommend is the Buddy.

I wanted an automatic trans, as a new rider. Shifting is too much of a distraction (for me, you might feel otherwise).

I wanted newer, being I'm not mechanically inclined.

My wife was involved in the choice as well. When it came to looks, cost and all we both narrowed all of the possible choices down to the Buddy or the LX series from Vespa.

I'll be the 1st to admit, it could be in my own mind I decided Vespa a LONG time ago but wanted to give the buddy a fair shot.
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
xtravbx

Post by xtravbx »

A "real" motorcycle... I still wish I had.
CiaoItalia

Post by CiaoItalia »

My choice had come down to the Buddy or the Vino 125 after much research and asking around. The head to head reviews of the two scoots online seemed to favor the Buddy and my local Yamaha dealer seemed to care more about selling expensive motorcycles than scooters, so the pieces just fell into place. I must say that after riding a friend's Vino I know I made the right choice.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

2nd choice? Any other scooter that came in pink.

Dave
sparkle motion

Post by sparkle motion »

I probably would have gotten a Kymco if not the Buddy.
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
JNV

2nd choice of scooter

Post by JNV »

My next choice would have been a Vespa LX-150. Thhis scooter is really for my wife and she is short so she had a problem with the Vespa. If she did not like the Buddy we would have gotten the Vespa and had the seat modified to make it easier for her to sit on and reach the ground. So far the Buddy has been a good choice of scooter. I even like it and I already have a Vespa of my own
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

I probably would have gotten a Vino. My friend Jen was pushing the Vino for me, and I'm easily led. 8)
jetboy

Post by jetboy »

Wow! I made up my mind so long ago, I'll have to really work to remember. Hmmm....

After I decided I better start out riding a CVT scoot, it came down to the Buddy, the Yamaha Vino 125 and the Kymco Agility 125. I'd have probably gone with the Vino if the Buddy did not exist. Couldn't afford the Vespa LX150.

-jetboy
"All these things - like telly witch-doctors, and advertising pimps, and show business pop song pirates - they despise us - dig? - they sell us cut-price sequins when we think we're getting diamonds."
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

Vespa PX200, or a Stella with a Malossi 210.
- Bryce
Roose Hurro

Alternatives...

Post by Roose Hurro »

If the Buddy didn't exist/wasn't available? Well, if cost was no object, I'd go for the Vespa GTS I've been drooling over. If cost was an object, I'd go for a used Honda CH80, upgrade the suspension, and kit it out a bit.

If I already had a Buddy (I don't... but if I did)? Well, I'd go for this. And I'd also kit it out and upgrade the suspension... read on another forum about a guy who had fitted a motorcycle shock on the rear of his, and how significantly it improved the handling.

However, with the mention of retro... why not a genuine oldie? Funny thing is, I have a bicycle by the same manufacturer, a 2002 Bianchi Milano Cafe Racer. If I could own the bike in this pic, I'd have a pair with not only the same manufacturer, but with matching paint! And a bike as old as me....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ThisDude

Post by ThisDude »

Most likely a used piaggio Fly 150 for me.
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Consider the Vino 125 but was only able to sit on it and no test drive. Something about it I didn't like--I think it was the all silver across that there wasn't a distinction in color for the controls i.e. lights, etc.

Read good reviews for the Buddy 125 then went to check it out. The dealer also carried Kymco--I would have bought the People 150 if the Buddy wasn't an option.
sparkle motion

Re: Alternatives...

Post by sparkle motion »

Roose Hurro wrote:... why not a genuine oldie?
That is a beauty. If I was mechanically inclined and didn't have the Queensboro Bridge to contend with, I'd be all over it.
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
Eddy Merckx

Post by Eddy Merckx »

I would have gone with the Stella or a Chetak, they are both basicly vespa copies for all intents and purpose, but thats just me........
"Social graces, got any"
Keys

Post by Keys »

I would have just kept the Bajaj Chetak I traded in...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

I was replacing my Mojito 50 so I was programmed for a CVT scooter. When I started shopping I assumed I'd wind up with a People 150 but the folks at Sportique were pretty high on this new 125 from Genuine. Good thing too. For whatever reason, the People 150 does nothing for me. If the Buddy wasn't available I probably would've chosen an LX-150 or Fly.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
AgentKestrel

Post by AgentKestrel »

If it wasn't for the smoking deal I got on my Mojito I would be riding a red buddy right now. Barring that, I would probably still be searching for a stella fireball.
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

... well I still have none as of yet .... Buddy is still top of my list ... If staying in the same price range would proably go with the TGB Sunset ... looked at and sat on one(TGB) this weekend ..... it was alright ... it has the taller thinner tires on it wich I kind of like .... color selection is not too good (silver or yellow) ... there is somthing that is just not quite there ... not sure what ..... also sat on the Kymco people 50.... tires/wheels are to bicycley for me .. other wise I liked the retro look of it
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I REALLY wanted a Stella or a Bajaj Chetak. In fact, I will probably add one of those to my stable w/in the next few years. I'm still toying with the idea of a vintage scooter, like a Servetta Lamby or a Smallframe Vespa or maybe even an Allstate. But I'd have to learn how to wrench, and that would be a pretty high learning curve for big ol' me. Maybe one day when I pay off my damned student loans, I'll have all three: a vintage ride, a knock-off P series (heh), AND my beloved Pinky Tuscadero. A grrrl can dream, can't she?
ModBud #442
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

For me, there was also this:
http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=200

It's a somewhat different approach to scooters but in the same general price range ($2999).

I still would like to test ride one and maybe add it to the family vehicle list at some point.
Kevin
AYPWIP?
DarbyWalters

Post by DarbyWalters »

Great info above...I really like the Bajaj Chetak. Having a spare mounted on the back is a plus too. The 150cc Four Stroke is a nice touch too. I think I will have to take a 80 mile trip to Austin to look at one.

GY6B...4 Valve Head, 26mm carb, Oil Cooler, High Compression head...all Stock...64mpg Top End.
x-mojito50mod

Post by x-mojito50mod »

Since I had a Mojito 50 that I loved, but blew up, I probably would have looked for a 150 version and thrown the "retro" headset on it from my 50, since those Harley-looking bars are so awful...or, just load the 50 up with MHR everything and make it as fast (but REALLY unreliable) as the Buddy 125 (which, is still in the works when I have the $$, for a weekend fun-bike!).
Roose Hurro

Re: Alternatives...

Post by Roose Hurro »

sparkle motion wrote:
Roose Hurro wrote:... why not a genuine oldie?
That is a beauty. If I was mechanically inclined and didn't have the Queensboro Bridge to contend with, I'd be all over it.

The photo archive where I found that pic, on the Moped Army site, has tons more to view, of all styles and ages, makes and models. On their forum, I commented on that pic, and was told: "Classics like that are FAR and FEW between, I’m afraid." And the bike, far as I know, was not for sale... just something I couldn't help drooling over, when I ran across it. Looks ready for a museum. Or... the Road! I've learned that style of moped is refered to as a "tank-over", for obvious reasons.

Despite my present lack of funds, my thoughts keep turning to how useful a mulit-vehicle fleet would be, carefully selected for the intended use. A Vespa GTS for freeway and light touring, or anytime I want/need the power. A Buddy, for around town and commute duty... anything non-freeway. And... well, actually, a couple mopeds would be nice, at least two: The Tomos Streetmate R for low speed "sport" and fun, including runs to the post office, and the Bianchi Falco Sport for classic cruising. And also for those post office runs. Mayhaps the ideal vehicle for packing on a light picnic lunch, riding out into the boonies (or the local park) for an outdoor meal in the sun and shade. Also would make for a very neat mode of transport for bookruns to the library/bookstore, and to Starbucks (or any other coffee shop) for that nice, hot, double-shot latte, during the chilly months. The Vespa would also be nice for that, but a bit too much bike, mayhaps?

Anyway, I ramble......... :roll:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
vincent

Post by vincent »

Before I purchased my Buddy I was considering the Buddy 125, the Vespa LX 150, the Vespa Granturismo or a vintage Vespa like a VBB. I quickly crossed off the Granturismo b/c at its price it was creeping into motorcycle money. Plus, considering I want to purchase another motorcycle in the Spring I didn't want to spend that much for something that I would use primarily for commuting.

I crossed off the vintage scooter b/c after selling my motorcycle b/c it was needy on the maintenance side, I thought it might not be best to buy a vintage scoot that may be even more needy.

That left the Buddy 125 and the Vespa LX 150. I have to admit I prefer the styling of the Vespa over the Buddy. However, ultimately I couldn't justify the price differential especially for a commute vehicle. So I bought my Buddy 125 that I love, threw in a MacBook Pro and still ended up a few hundred less than had I purchased the Vespa. :D
sparty

Post by sparty »

The reason I got into Buddy was an ad for Stella, so if Buddy is not available and Stella was still in production, I would have gotten a Stella. Otherwise I might have gotten a LX 150 instead, but I am not too keen on their looks for some reason so I would have saved up to get a GT or GTS instead.

Next year, if they come up with a 200+ Blur I might buy one, and if Stella becomes a production model again, a Stella!
jazdrmr

Post by jazdrmr »

I always wanted a Vespa. For years it became a joke between my wife and myself that everytime I saw a scoot I would ask my wife if I could buy a Vespa and, of course, the answer was always "no". Then early this summer we were at the beach with one vehicle when we needed two. So I rented a TGB 50 and had a blast! I decided to look into a Sunset 150 'cause of the $$ and TGB looked pretty stable. I went into "Fun on Wheels" in Frederick, MD to buy one and the salesman suggested I look at a Buddy first.

I ended up buying a used Helix but it was too big to throw in the back of the truck and go to the beach. So I sold it and went back to Frederick and bought a Buddy.

If $$ was no object, I would probably have bought a Vespa 200
If the Dealer network was better, probably an Aprilia 250
But if GS comes out with a Buddy 200 or 250, I'd be all over it 'cause they're just fun to ride! :D
twharton

Post by twharton »

I had always wanted a Vespa but got the Buddy because of Vespa sticker shock. It's not that I didn't have the money but the price seemed unreasonable. I could have purchased a 'real' motorcycle (which I do not want) for that amount. In my search I discovered Stella and as I REALLY wanted a shifter ordered one in May of 06.

You know the rest of the story and in July of 06 brought my Buddy home. I am terminally ill with the scooter fever and mod bug. After adding basket, then backrest I went for a Prima pipe...will I digress. I'm working on modifying / expanding the instrument cluster. More than just bolt on stuff.

Now that the Stella may come back I will probably get one (white) in 08. Metro Scooter in Cincinnati has a white '05 but the transportaton (whether I pick it up or have it delivered) adds 15-20% to the cost so I will wait for an 08'. I also think I need a Mojito 150 in black.
twharton
Northwest, FL
"Where thousands live the way millions wish they could!"
DarbyWalters

Post by DarbyWalters »

Looks like these were the "also rans":

Vespa GTS/PX200/LX150/ET4
STELLA
Piaggio Fly 150
Yamaha Vino 125
Bajaj Chetak 150
Aprilla Mojito 150
Kymco People 125/150/Agility 125
TGB Sunset/Laser R9
Honda CH80

un_designer

Post by un_designer »

I was actually ready to buy a Kymco People 150, but couldn't get home in time to test drive it and someone else bought it. All in all, I'm glad I didn't get home in time hee hee. The larger wheels would've been nice for a more stable ride at higher speed, but the Buddy is so much more practical, is a better fit for my size, and looks so much better.
250koala

Post by 250koala »

Scooter? Before seeing the Buddy, I guess it would have been the Vino 125. I was leaning harder towards a Honda Rebel 125 motorcycle tho. I'm a shorty!
twharton

Post by twharton »

Warning...Digression...OT

un_designer...that is one freaky disturbing avatar (I like it but it bugs me every time I see it)

How about an explanation?

Thanks.
twharton
Northwest, FL
"Where thousands live the way millions wish they could!"
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

that's just my cat :D he's not evil or anything. i just happen to have a picture of him doing something weird w/his mouth.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Since we're still talking about other scooters, I had to mention that I saw a new LXV yesterday. I'm guessing it's not for everybody but, to me, Vespa really hit a styling bulls-eye with this scooter. I love the GTS, GT-60 and GTV, they're spectacular at what they do. But, to my eyes, the 200 and 250 Vespas look a little...uh, thick. Still beautiful to look at, but nowhere near as pretty as a small frame.

I don't know how I'd like the split seat for everyday riding, but I'm pretty envious of that little LXV. I'm also looking forward to seeing the new "S" model in the flesh. Yes, Vespas are pricey compared to most other scooters but in many ways you're simply getting what you pay for.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

I LOVE the headset of the LXV!!!

I liked the look and for me at least sitting on them in the dealership the seats. My wife liked the split seat when doing 2 up.

I don't like the front headlight on the fender.

We couldn't get over the color...it's an odd color. Yes they can be painted but...it's the luxury model of the LX series, I knew I was getting the chrome kit and a small windscreen...didn't want to plunk down more$$$ for a paint job.

I love, and miss my LX but...there are things I'd like to steal from the LXV and put on my LX!!!
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

I looked at the Stella and the Kymco People 150. If I were going to do it all over, I'd be looking at the Kymco People 250 real hard, not that I don't love my Budd.

I'm considering another Harley, an 883 Sportster, so I can go riding with the neighbors. It's probably the only one I can afford anymore.

ECS
Yes, that is my scooter.
Yes, I wear a helmet and a FIRSTGEAR armored jacket.
No, I'm not embarrassed to be seen riding it.
Yes, that is an NRA sticker on the fender.

"I aim to misbehave."
lobsterman

Post by lobsterman »

Now that the Rattler 110 2-stroke is available for the same price as a Buddy, I'd add that to the list of other possibilities as well. I really liked it when I sat on it at Metro Scooter the other night. It's probably not quite as fast on the top end as a Buddy, but it's probably fast enough for what I really need my scooter to do.

For me the scooter choice list (not counting Buddy) would be, not neccessarily in order:

Genuine Rattler 110
Genuine Blur
TGB Laser R9 150
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Vino 125
Piaggio Fly 150

Cost is certainly a factor for me, so the more expensive ones would probably drop off, and it would probably come down to the Vino, Rattler, and TGB Laser.
Kevin
AYPWIP?