Am I old because I remember this TV show?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

That Scooter Guy

Am I old because I remember this TV show?

Post by That Scooter Guy »

http://www.hulu.com/watch/61426/hill-st ... 2-n3-so-i0

Not only do I remember it, but I wasn't even particularly young anymore when it was on. The thought just occurs to me because it looks so ancient.
:lol:

Look for the...

Misguided scooter quote @ 4 minute point.

Sad scooter abuse moment at 10:00.

Scooter high speed chase at 31:00.

"Let's be careful out there."
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

YES!!!

I watched this from the first to the last season myself
TVB

Post by TVB »

No, it's the other way around: You remember this TV show because you're old. :)

It's the same reason I remember many of the episodes of "All in the Family" currently replaying on Antenna TV. Which are (delightfully) as funny and (sadly) often as relevant as they were almost four decades ago.

Let's be careful out there, Meathead.
That Scooter Guy

I noticed the other day that an alarming number of TV shows I listed in my FaceSpace profile were black and white at some point. Gomer Pyle, Leave it to Beaver, The Munsters, The Addams Family, Petticoat Junction, Mr Rogers, The Twilight Zone, and Gilligan's Island.

Ugh.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Funny, all these years I thought Dennis Franz's character on Hill St and NYPD Blue were the same. Says something about him that Dennis Franz could be cast as the leading man.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Halloweenie

Post by Halloweenie »

That Scooter Guy wrote:I noticed the other day that an alarming number of TV shows I listed in my FaceSpace profile were black and white at some point. Gomer Pyle, Leave it to Beaver, The Munsters, The Addams Family, Petticoat Junction, Mr Rogers, The Twilight Zone, and Gilligan's Island.

Ugh.
No love for "F" Troop or Alfred Hitchcock Presents?
226 Vintage Hot Wing, GGR Hot Reeds, Mazzy Race Cut Crank, P200 filter, 128 Main, BJ Stack, Trailtech CHT

AAA-O Anything, Anytime, Anywhere, Bar None
That Scooter Guy

I can't believe I missed F Troop! Loved that show.

I don't think I watched Hitchcock that much, although I do remember it.

Strange how I didn't watch much TV at all after the early 80s. I can probably count on one hand the shows I have liked since then. Let's see... The West Wing, ER, Cheers, Monk, Northern Exposure, The Daily Show and 60 Minutes. Okay, one hand and a couple toes! Rome, Lost and Band of Brothers count I suppose; but they were more like mini-series shows.

If I didn't have kids, I doubt I'd own a TV. Used to be three channels of reasonable stuff, now it's 200 and I don't like any of it.
tbonestone

Post by tbonestone »

I wasn't even a twinkle in my parents eye, but i'm partial to Hogan's Heroes and McHale's Navy myself.
That Scooter Guy

Hogan's Heroes is on my list of favs. It got even more interesting when I grew up and discovered that Bob Crane (Hogan) was somewhat of a sex addict. Plus he was murdered and they really never solved the crime. There's a good movie about him called AutoFocus.
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

Green Acres is the place to be!

Newhart is very nearly the same show (just set in VT).

HSB was all the rage back when (along with Cheers, etc.). I worked at that time for an NBC-TV affiliate in Indiana as a news videographer and only got to see bits and pieces of them when editing for the 10 PM news.
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
sosha

Post by sosha »

No you're old when someone says "Lloyd Bridges", and you think of Sea Hunt instead of Airplane!
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

I remember, as a very young child, lying in my bed and listening to Sgt. Preston of the Yukon on the radio. Sponsored by the Quaker Oats Company, these were not re-runs, mind you, but live syndicated studio broadcasts. Sgt. Preston's ever faihful sidekick was his dog King and they chased the bad guys all over the Northwest Territory.
The beauty in all of this was the richness of my imagination as I lay there listening to the north wind howl, or King's growls of warning when danger neared. The slam of a cabin door, or the ricochet of a rifle shot.
They don't make an app for that these days. :sigh:
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

I'm so old I can't remember anything........ :cry:
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
Syd

Post by Syd »

rsrider wrote:I'm so old I can't remember anything........ :cry:
If you really were old you could remember lines of dialog; you just couldn't remember whether you had raisin or cinnamon apple gruel this morning!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

irishtim wrote:Green Acres is the place to be!
Well, if we're talking Hooterville, let's not forget Petticoat Junction. Same producer, same cornpone, but more curves, you bet! :wink:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hill Street is one of my all-time faves. Like St. Elsewhere, it's kind of the template for many shows to follow in their genres.
And this is one of the best sitcoms ever. I watched much of it again recently on DVD and it not only holds up, but parts of it were better than I remembered. In particular, when I was a kid I'd never realized just how good Eva Gabor is on the show. Her character is much smarter and more sarcastic than I'd remembered.

For me, Petticoat Junction just didn't compare to the absurdity and satire in Green Acres. They both had catchy theme songs, though, written by Vic Mizzy, who also wrote the Addams Family theme, Mr. Ed ("a horse is a horse, of course of course") and F Troop.

I didn't watch TV for about 7 years during the Seinfeld and Friends era. Even before that, for a couple years I'd only watched late night (no cable, Nick at Nite or TV Land) reruns of shows from before my time—Bachelor Father, Donna Reed, Patty Duke, that kind of thing. Now I'm married to a TV critic and sometimes also write about TV. Needless to say, we watch a lot. Almost everything at least once. Yikes.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Yes some good ones shows to be sure, In the Dennis Franz discussion, any one remember Bay City Blues? Any base ball fans out there? R
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I grew up in a subdivision called 'Green Acres'!! (Originally planned and named in the 1930's) The 60's and 70's were tough on many facets for me...
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
rollin thunder

Post by rollin thunder »

How about "Death Valley Days" brought to you by Borax soap......hehehehehe
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

rollin thunder wrote:How about "Death Valley Days" brought to you by Borax soap......hehehehehe
We are OLD!
End of story.
Nullius in verba
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

OH No ! Not the western tv program nostalgia thread. OK Maverick... R
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

All right youse guys. Top this one.
I was sitting on the floor in front of the television set when the Beatles first appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show, and if memory serves they sang "I Want To Hold Your Hand." :)
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Yeupp! God, Sullivan was an awkward emcee. R
rollin thunder

Post by rollin thunder »

So was I and you're right....I was also home from school with the flu and watching TV coverage of the JFK assasination and watched Jack Ruby shoot Oswald live in the basement of Dallas police station. Won't never forget that moment. I was in the 6th. grade in Dallas at the time.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

I was in 7th grade a loss of innocence. R
Mikie M.

Post by Mikie M. »

A 5th hour Senior bookeeping class, for me.
That Scooter Guy

I watched the first man walk on the moon on a small TV set at Lake Arrowhead Campground in Myrtle Beach, SC.

I was too young to remember the JFK assassination, but I was alive!
rollin thunder

Post by rollin thunder »

I was in the jungles of Vietnam when man first walked on the moon. From one extreme to the other. What a life.
That Scooter Guy

Other than the moon walk, there have been two other broadcasts/events that I will probably always remember where I was when they happened.

9/11. I was in my car on my way to work. Somewhere between Manhattan, KS and Salina, KS on I-70. It's ironic since I-70 across Kansas is one of the most forgetful and desolate roads in America. I was a mechanic at the Harley dealership in Salina.

The explosion of the space shuttle Challenger. I was between classes at Ferrum College (Ferrum, VA), and paused for just a few minutes to watch its launch on the TV in the student union.

Fortunately, having also attended VMI and having spent 12 years in the Army I have plenty of other material from which to draw nightmares. :shock:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Okeh, you guys are old. I was born after the first lunar landing (by a few weeks).

But, not to get soppy or morbid, getting older means continued success in not dying. So congrats to us all on that! Beats the alternative.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
TVB

Post by TVB »

rollin thunder wrote:So was I and you're right....I was also home from school with the flu and watching TV coverage of the JFK assasination and watched Jack Ruby shoot Oswald live in the basement of Dallas police station. Won't never forget that moment. I was in the 6th. grade in Dallas at the time.
Can you account for your whereabouts around noon on November 22?
Tenchi

Let's go back to 60's kid shows...

Post by Tenchi »

Who remembers Fireball XL5? Stingray? Supercar?
That Scooter Guy

Re: Let's go back to 60's kid shows...

Tenchi wrote:Who remembers Fireball XL5? Stingray? Supercar?
+1 for Supercar! Although it originally aired just before my time. Not sure if I saw episodes in the 60's or more recently on Nickelodeon. My memory is gone. That's the second thing that goes. :roll:
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Mikie M. wrote:All right youse guys. Top this one.
I was sitting on the floor in front of the television set when the Beatles first appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show...
I was 5 years old at the time. Dad came and got me and said, "Come watch the Ed Sullivan Show. You'll want to remember this." He was right. That was almost half a century ago. Whew!
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

"Maverick", "Sugarfoot" and "Cheyenne", all westerns in b&w back when. Remember "Riverboat"? Dear old dad from "A Christmas Story" played the riverboat captain. Good series. When the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan I was a senior in high school. They were good, but the bad boys I really liked were the Rolling Stones. Ahhh, my wasted youth. :cry: I'd do it again. 8)
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

rollin thunder wrote:I was in the jungles of Vietnam when man first walked on the moon. From one extreme to the other. What a life.
Glad you made it back. I was sitting at a local roundy round race track that night. Had just come back from Nam in December - after Christmas of course.
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Let's go back to 60's kid shows...

Post by ericalm »

That Scooter Guy wrote:
Tenchi wrote:Who remembers Fireball XL5? Stingray? Supercar?
+1 for Supercar! Although it originally aired just before my time. Not sure if I saw episodes in the 60's or more recently on Nickelodeon. My memory is gone. That's the second thing that goes. :roll:
Funny, I was talking to some guys about the Gerry Anderson supermarionation shows last night. They mentioned Thunderbirds and I said I liked Supercar, partially because of the theme song. "Supercaaaaaaaar!"

I only saw these in the early '90s.
Howardr

Re: Am I old because I remember this TV show?

Post by Howardr »

That Scooter Guy wrote:http://www.hulu.com/watch/61426/hill-st ... 2-n3-so-i0

Not only do I remember it, but I wasn't even particularly young anymore when it was on. The thought just occurs to me because it looks so ancient.
:lol:

Look for the...

Misguided scooter quote @ 4 minute point.

Sad scooter abuse moment at 10:00.

Scooter high speed chase at 31:00.

"Let's be careful out there."
I loved Hillstreet Blue. Great series. That was the eara of a lot of cop shows. But do you remember "Baretta" with Robert Blake?

Great theme song too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQeVIJ8e ... re=related

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
gigi

old?

Post by gigi »

How about "I remember Mama"? Beanie, Sky King, Lone Ranger on radio, The Shadow On radio before the tv series, Liberace, Great American Dream Machine on public tv, or the "sock it to me " girl on "laugh in". I know who she was/is--maybe you guys know her daughter better.
armed, dangerous, and off his medication
Rob

Re: old?

Post by Rob »

gigi wrote: or the "sock it to me " girl on "laugh in". I know who she was/is--maybe you guys know her daughter better.
Must have been Goldie Hawn? And here I was thinking it was Judy Carne. Not that I'm old enough to have seen this show, or most of the others mentioned. :D

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I was a young child during the 70's, so I recall watching "All in the Family" and such. I just don't remember them too well. My TV memories are of the...er...80's classics. Like Knight Rider and Hunter and-- Well, at least Magnum PI isn't a source of shame. Much.

Cartoons made a much greater impression. My sense of humour was shaped by Looney Tunes (before they were censored) and that old sitcom Benson. Much of the joy of 90's TV was discovering the Disney Afternoon (Talespin! Darkwing Duck) and the almighty Gargoyles.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Howardr wrote:.....But do you remember "Baretta" with Robert Blake?.....
Yup. Do you also remember "Hell Town" in which he played an ex-con or street tough who became a Catholic priest? I used to love it when he'd preface a confontation with the bad guys by getting all pseudo-biblical and saying, "Let us go among them".

My earliest TV memories were those Saturday morning cartoon blocks with Betty Boop, Popeye, and all the old Max Fleischer cartoons. The NY area also had cartoons with "Officer Joe Bolton", and every weekend there was "Wonderama" with Sonny Fox. I also remember being in front of the old black and white when Maris hit his 61st in '61.

All happy memories powered by only 13 broadcast channels. Now I've got 100+ channels of unadulterated assembly-line crap.

Wish we still had the Flash Gordon serials around. After having lived with Ming the Merciless for 22 years, I probably could give him a few pointers.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The Prisoner. Had an ending that would make Lost fans' heads explode.
charlie55 wrote:My earliest TV memories were those Saturday morning cartoon blocks with Betty Boop, Popeye, and all the old Max Fleischer cartoons.
The Fleischer Superman cartoons (from several decades before my birth, even) are still brilliant! Someone needs to do a good digital restoration on them; all I have are crummy versions on VHS. The art and character design hold up. They're not exactly politically correct, though, like many from that era, which may be one reason they're not treated as groundbreaking classics.
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:The Fleischer Superman cartoons (from several decades before my birth, even) are still brilliant! Someone needs to do a good digital restoration on them; all I have are crummy versions on VHS. The art and character design hold up. They're not exactly politically correct, though, like many from that era, which may be one reason they're not treated as groundbreaking classics.
I'm of the opinion that, rather than trying to update classic characters like Superman or Wonder Woman,* filmmakers should treat them like Sherlock Holmes or Tom Sawyer, and do them as "period" pieces. 1940s Superman - changing his costume in a phone booth, the newspaper job putting him in the thick of things, fighting street thugs and war criminals and the occasional killer robot - rocked.

*e.g. the upcoming David E. Kelley Wonder Woman TV series.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

ericalm wrote:
charlie55 wrote:My earliest TV memories were those Saturday morning cartoon blocks with Betty Boop, Popeye, and all the old Max Fleischer cartoons.
The Fleischer Superman cartoons (from several decades before my birth, even) are still brilliant! Someone needs to do a good digital restoration on them; all I have are crummy versions on VHS. The art and character design hold up. They're not exactly politically correct, though, like many from that era, which may be one reason they're not treated as groundbreaking classics.
Yes it is that damned political correctness that have killed those cartoons, but they're still what I too grew up with. And I haven't become a bigoted ax murdering sociopath suffering from schizophrenia with pedophilic tendencies.

Oh yeah, my mother probably smoked while pregnant with me, I didn't always wash my hands before eating let alone use sanitizer, I ate worms and played in 'the gutter'..... If I cussed my mother washed my mouth out with soap, if the 'infraction' was more severe I had to 'wait until my father got home' and then was most likely spanked, and NO ONE called the authorities that there was child abuse going on!!!

Oh, for the 'old days' again!
Nullius in verba
gigi

cartoon?

Post by gigi »

Beanie was a cartoon--had a buddy named
cecil the seasick sea serpent. Sky King was so cheesey it probably should have been a cartoon. Judy carne was also a sock it to me girl. I'd forgotten about her. Great american Dream Machine had cartoon bits in it--marshall effrom was the name behind it. 'twas classic. In the newer stuff "Grape Ape" was one of my favorites. We had kids in the '80's and I got to watch what they watched. remember MTV when they had music video all the time.

george reeves was the best superman--what an incredible body--no armor to give him his 1 pack abs.
gigi

prisoner?

Post by gigi »

Was the prisoner the show with the guy who would try to make his escape and be recaptured by a giant bubble and then wake up back in his room in the asylum? it ran about the same time frame as the Avengers with John Steed and Emma Peale. for westerns how about "Paladin-have gun will travel"?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

TVB wrote:
ericalm wrote:The Fleischer Superman cartoons (from several decades before my birth, even) are still brilliant! Someone needs to do a good digital restoration on them; all I have are crummy versions on VHS. The art and character design hold up. They're not exactly politically correct, though, like many from that era, which may be one reason they're not treated as groundbreaking classics.
I'm of the opinion that, rather than trying to update classic characters like Superman or Wonder Woman,* filmmakers should treat them like Sherlock Holmes or Tom Sawyer, and do them as "period" pieces. 1940s Superman - changing his costume in a phone booth, the newspaper job putting him in the thick of things, fighting street thugs and war criminals and the occasional killer robot - rocked.

*e.g. the upcoming David E. Kelley Wonder Woman TV series.
Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. It's much easier for animation. The Bruce Timm Batman: The Animated Series and Superman shows worked because they happened in a sort of timeless bubble where elements of the characters from the '30s, '40s and so on were combined with modern elements and suspended everything outside of "real" history. The recent Batman: Brave & the Bold did the same by cherry picking classic versions of characters and villains right down to imitating the artists that drew them back then.

There's a new GI Joe series that updates the premise by turning the Joes into, essentially, the A-Team (it's an unapologetic homage) and making Cobra into a giant corporation with a lot of deep dark secrets. It actually works very well! Same goes for the new Scooby Doo Mystery Inc., which parodies the old show without getting stupid about it.

Some things can be updated better than others. The Bionic Woman relaunch was a failure but could have worked with more consistent writing and so on. The Knight Rider relaunch? Doomed from the start. A talking car! Yeah, so what?
gigi wrote:Was the prisoner the show with the guy who would try to make his escape and be recaptured by a giant bubble and then wake up back in his room in the asylum? it ran about the same time frame as the Avengers with John Steed and Emma Peale.
Yup. He was on an island whose inhabitants were all former spies who are all now just referred to by numbers. The mysterious people who ran it were either trying to get them to divulge secrets or test their resistance to psychological torture. He never breaks!

There was a AMC miniseries last year with Ian McKellan and Jim Cavieval that was based on the premise, but then went way off into Lost territory. It was okay.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

Now that you guys got me started down the nostalgia path.....

Here's a Fleischer cartoon, parts of which used to scare the Maypo out of me when I was 4 or 5:

http://www.archive.org/details/Play_Safe_1936

Crude by today's standards, but the period music's kinda catchy.
That Scooter Guy

Two semi-anti-Lost digs. I'm shocked! I thought that was a fantastic series, except for the big gap caused by the writers' strike.

I think what kept my attention might have been the fact I discovered it late in the game and watched several season's worth of episodes online. Still, the wait for the final season mitigated my interest.

I thought the plot of Lost was extremely well conceived. The bouncing back and forth in time and the connections between the characters were really intriguing. The end became somewhat easy to predict, but it could have gone a number of different ways. The actors and the photography were pretty fantastic.

I can't think of any show (or book) that takes place on an island that isn't cool. :P