If I Lose 50lbs Will My Scoot Gain Top Speed?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

JHScoot

If I Lose 50lbs Will My Scoot Gain Top Speed?

Post by JHScoot »

I've already lost 200, but that last 50 is a mofo!

Beats spending money on upgrades and what not. Some people say weight doesn't matter with top speed, it just takes longer to get there. I would like to have better acceleration, too. But top speed is nice.

Also, what about clothing? I was out riding this fine morning and my Agility was lucky to reach 55mph. But I could feel my coat sleeves acting like little parachutes, holding me back. Coefficient of drag, not good! :cry:

And what about cold weather? The scoot seems to not be as flexible in the rpms when it's colder out.

I figure losing 50lbs would compensate for all this, however, and am looking for motivation. Damn kettlebells are a bitch, though!

I need to step it up a notch. One more breakfast burrito and I'll be lucky to beat a Yugo off the line.

So yeah, is weight the enemy of speed on a small engined scooter, or should I just do some mods?
Riding is riding
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

congrats on your weight loss. Heres an idea-why not lose the last 50, then reward yourself for your hard work with Mods! :D
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

thanks peabody, and that's a damn fine idea, too.

heck, i might even hit 65mph on my 125 stock like some on youtube claim without the mods. but i think those claims are bogus. i mean, it's a 125, it will only max out so fast, i would think?

the justgottascoot.com reviewer claimed the Agility 125 he tested was capable of 62-65mph. i gotta say i highly doubt that as that is 150cc Blackjack territory, and that guy is a Kymco fanboy. but i am looking to squeeze out every little bit i can.

lose 50lbs + mods? hell i might hit 80mph! :shock:
Riding is riding
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Hell I'll tell you, I NEEDED to gain a small amount of weight (OOoops... :oops: ) My Doc told 125lbs wasn't too good on me... Yeah right!
So ANYWHO..... Not to make you feel badly, yep I always seem to put on some when I have a 'good' woman to love me, My current Lady and I have been together about two years, I'm up (sorry) to about 155, what I weighed in High School. I'm 51 and 5'8"
BEST thing I did because in all my scrawneyness clothing flapped like 'be-calmed' sails was put a windshield on the scoot.
It makes you more aerodynamic!

Mazel Tov on your loss..... Ride happy, ride safe.....
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

yeah i have been thinking windsheild, too. i can't find one for my Agility that is under $130, though. i mean, i am willing to pay if i have to, but that is steep

i think a generic one that fits the Buddy is said to fit the Agility, too? found at some website somewhere. but i have to find it again and call to ask. i asked my dealer and he said he has never seen a windsheild on or for an Agility.

not very common, i guess

maybe i will wear a cape when i ride? that'll get me going :clap:
Riding is riding
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

JHScoot wrote: i think a generic one that fits the Buddy is said to fit the Agility, too? found at some website somewhere. but i have to find it again and call to ask.
Yes it should, It'll fit my Met I don't see why not.
Slip Streamer makes several that'll work for you as well.
JHScoot wrote: maybe i will wear a cape when i ride? :clap:
:wha: I DO wanna see pics... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

Congratulations on the loss. That's quite a bit. I can't remember for sure, but in one of the pic you have posted. Made you seem like a tall person. That would def slow you down. Just a thought.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Very Good on the weight loss... When I bought a Chetak in fall of 2002, I promised my self I would walk 5 miles a day. And that continues to be a stated goal (didn't make that far today, too cold) but my weight loss was not as dramatic as yours. My 150 cc scooter did seem to be about 4mph faster when I had dropped 45 lbs. Good luck... R
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: If I Lose 50lbs Will My Scoot Gain Top Speed?

Post by jrsjr »

JHScoot wrote:Some people say weight doesn't matter with top speed, it just takes longer to get there. I would like to have better acceleration, too. But top speed is nice.
This is one of those yes&no things. The weight won't have much effect on your absolute top speed, but the weight-loss will make you more aerodynamic which will impact your top speed (and so will clothing that acts like parachutes). None of it will make that much difference, a couple mph at most on level ground. Going uphill is another story, entirely. Losing that much weight will make a big difference in your top speed going up hills.

No matter how you look at it, losing 250 pounds means that you win at life, so congratulations!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

omg it is just hitting me. The windscreen might be a huge mod with regard to gas milage-and possibly speed? I had a slipstreamer 66 which I took off after I moved from cleveland to san diego. The stem broke before I moved and I had it duct taped which was tacky but needed. Well I got to san diego and it barely rained and was never cold so I ditched the screen.

Until now I could not figure out why my gas milage went from 100mpg+ to 82. I had no changes to my scoot and could not figure how this was happening. Son af a B!!! It has to be the windscreen. I don't care I am keeping it off. I live in S. Ca and I want to enjoy but benifits we have, but anywhere else I would get this mod.
gtmotor

Post by gtmotor »

Losing weight won't increase your absolute top speed... but it'll make a noticeable difference in real-life scootin'

Like jrsjr said... going up hills will be a big difference and you'll be able to accelerate from light to light much quicker.

I wear motorcycle gear while riding my scoot (Blur 220) so the aero drag due to clothing isn't very noticeable. If you want to increase your top speed I'd suggest more form fitting clothing (heavily suggest an armored jacket) and to "ninja tuck" as far into the scooter as you can.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I don't know that a windshield can account for an 18MPG difference, but it definitely helps.

According to many who know more about engineering and physics than I, weight doesn't make the same difference on top speed that I've always thought. Strictly in terms of the engine's ability to propel you forward, weight doesn't have the profound effect I always assumed. As jrsjr mentioned, drag is a factor, as well as the effects of weight on your suspension and tires.

It has more of an effect on acceleration than top speed. Anecdotally, I can attest to this as I've gained weight (oh, yay) over the past few years and can still hit some good top speeds.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

peabody99 wrote:omg it is just hitting me. The windscreen might be a huge mod with regard to gas milage-and possibly speed?
Absolutely! My 2004 Vespa GT200 was the fastest one around until everybody got wise to the fact that my flyscreen was the secret. :twisted: Peabody, I crunched the numbers, and putting the windscreen back on will save you about a gallon every 500 miles. If that's significant, go for it, but that's the number.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

well I loved it in Cleveland (mine was midsize)b/c I was an extreme rider, but I am fine here without it b/c the weather is so mild most of the time. I would have kept it on if the stem had not broken. I still have a mid size on the Vespa, and am not taking it off as I use the bike on the freeway and can't ride without one at those speeds. the crazy thing is the scoots nearly get the same gas milage now-gts with screen 78, buddy w/o screen 82 (used to get 100)
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

When I first put my windscreen on my 125cc Buddy I notice both a MPG and MPH increase. It wasn't much but every bit helps.

I am 6', and at the time I was weighing about 235 lbs. The wind was hitting my entire torso, making me a huge, wide wind block. Now with the windscreen I only get wind on my shoulders and helmet, so yes it has definitely helped.

I have hit 62mph on a mostly stock Buddy (windscreen mod) and that 62mph was GPS indicated on a flat road with almost no tailwind. And 71 mph down a steep hill, but not going up that same hill (LOL). I am not sure how much I get per gallon, but I do get about 120 miles per tank between fill-ups. I still have gas in the tank but I don't like to push my luck.

Congrats on the weight loss... keep it up.... eerrrrr down... and by all means a gift of Mods is absolutely the perfect way to celebrate!
BootScootin'FireFighter

Re: If I Lose 50lbs Will My Scoot Gain Top Speed?

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

JHScoot wrote:I've already lost 200
:wink: That's incredible. I don't have any other advice to give other than suggesting a windshield, but good God, what an accomplishment!
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Some windscreens are swept(Have curvature)some are straight but their hardware allows them to install at an angle and some are more like a wall,straight up and down.The swept and straight but angled shields are more aerodynamic thus improving gas mileage and top speed.The screens that install like a wall are no better than your body,or hardly anyway. Back a few years ago I added a PUIG screen to my Derbi GP1 and remember my first ride with the screen,I could feel the scoot cutting thru the air with much less pushing force.Another plus is not continually getting beat with air against your body,it can get tiring after a while.
Aerosmith, None Other.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

JHScoot wrote:yeah i have been thinking windsheild, too. i can't find one for my Agility that is under $130, though. i mean, i am willing to pay if i have to, but that is steep

i think a generic one that fits the Buddy is said to fit the Agility, too? found at some website somewhere. but i have to find it again and call to ask. i asked my dealer and he said he has never seen a windsheild on or for an Agility.

not very common, i guess

maybe i will wear a cape when i ride? that'll get me going :clap:
JHScoot,

Could the screen your talking about possibly be the PUIG Touring Windshield It may fit the Buddy since it has the headlight cut out.I know it fits several brands of scoots including the Agility(According to Kymco US)
Attachments
Windscreen_002.jpg
Windscreen_002.jpg (22.67 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
Aerosmith, None Other.
KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

I agree that a windscreen makes a huge difference. As for weight, I'll let you know. I recently lost 50 pounds due to a gall stone that got stuck and caused pancreatitis. I plan to lose more as all this has made me diabetic. I'll weigh in on the weight issue (pun intended). I imagine weight loss will help you be quicker, but not faster. You should get off the line quicker, but I think you will top out at roughly the same speed. Also, I think you should see a bit of an improvement in gas mileage.

Keep up the good work!
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

hi Buddy 'peeps :)

lot's of nice replies, and thank you for all the kind words and suggestions. i had quite the windshield experience the past 24 hours on account of this thread. the short(er) version goes like this:

mounted medium Prima windshield. felt it was too low and sort of...twisted to one side. i had neglected to use mirror extenders at the base of mirrors. acceleration seemed smoother throughout rpm range. or it could have simply been an illusion from less wind hitting me. wind still in face and on neck and lower chest. seemed to hit top speed quicker. i measured this by how long it usually takes to get to top speed via a certain traffic light

unmounted windshield to use extenders. this is where the trouble starts, as one would not fit in the mirror thread hole, period. i made it fit. the mirror was very reluctant, as well. i made that fit. mounted windshield and while it was higher and looked good, it could have been positioned better. i sought to make adjustment, unmounted windshield, made adjustment, troublesome extender rips itself from thread hole, stripping the threads and the whole experiment goes to hell. which is just as well, i suppose. if a bit of strain caused it to strip and come flying out, i doubt it would have stood the test of time

i suppose i should have left well enough alone the first time....but it really wasn't well enough. it wasn't really blocking any wind, although the scoot may have indeed been more aerodynamic. at least that was my seat of my pants impression. i took the scoot out today and hit the same stretch of road. i hit the same top speed (56mph) but not by the traffic light i usually measure it by. so i would say acceleration was improved by the windscreen, most likely. but back to the windscreen in a bit...

...it's good to see i am not the only one around with the weighty issue of...weight. but i am winning and have to remember that. and scooting faster is a great motivator. after losing 200lbs it came as a surprise to me that some people would still think me "fat." but i suppose i am, and it's a bitch to lose 200lbs and still be thought of as fat. even by ME sometimes. so, off it comes, and i will document my progress, post pics, and most importantly update any performance increases in this thread as i make significant progress.

ha, for all i know the performance increases will just be from more miles put on (i'm at just 1650m) but you never know!

i'll just give myself credit, anyway. :P

yes, Buddylicious i do beleive that is the windscreen. but i do want to mention as KABarash noted the "Buddy" medium Prima does in fact work with the Agility pretty nicely. just a heads up for anyone who may be reading this now or in the future with an Agility. barring any hardware malfunctions, that is :x

now, back the the windshield. i got this pic from The Los Angeles Scooter Group webpage, which i am a member of. it shows what looks to be a DIY job on an Agility, with a windshield NOT mounted to the mirrors / stems in any way. it looks bolted or stapled onto the handlebar cover. this would be good, as i could avoid a part replacement or repair on the stripped thread hole, which i managed to jam the mirror back into, and its nice and tight. i figure to leave it that way, as i have had enough after last night.

so, judging from this pic would you say that is a prudent and reliable set up? and more so, for those with expertise, how would one do this, and what would be needed?

i happen to have a neighbor right outside my door with a whole garage full of power tools and cutters, and as it turns out he is more then happy to help out! BUT, i don't think he has exact knowledge of this type of work. so, i leave it to the experts here :)

thanks, Buddy's!

Riding is riding
theralchico

Post by theralchico »

When tucked down behind my windshield on long stretches, I easily see an increase of 20% in fuel efficiency.
As far as weight, I can say that there is a difference between riding solo and with one of my 60lbs+ kids on the back. Not so much top speed, but definately acceleration.