Battery dies out during a long ride, not getting a charge?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

peppamint

Battery dies out during a long ride, not getting a charge?

Post by peppamint »

I posted this question over in the Rattler Forum, but i thought I would post hear as well, since I think this question would apply to all scoots:

Our Rattler's battery dies out during the ride, not when you go to start it. we just put in a new battery less than a month ago and now having the same problem. Does anyone know what keeps the battery charged since there is no alternator? and how do i perform a check on what ever is supposed to keep the batt charged? Thanks, would appreciate any advice!
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

so i have to assume that the battery was properly charged before you installed it in the scoot

either by a "cooker" at a motorycle shop or at lease over night on a .5 amp charger

if so then you need to troubel shoot your ele system

you will need a service manual for your scoot

with the scoot off check the voltage at the battery

the start it and rev it to (im not sure what rpm for the rattler but it should eb in the service manaul) then check your voltage at the batter you should have seen it climb from about 12.5 when off to some where around 13.8 volts again this should be in your service manual

if not then you should test the rectifier then the chargeing coil or coils on the stater
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
peppamint

Post by peppamint »

Yes the battery was properly charged initially . Thanks for your trouble shooting suggestions. I will give it try tomorrow and let you know what I find out . Do you know where I can go to download a manual?
nerdherder

Post by nerdherder »

KCScooterDude

Post by KCScooterDude »

When I have had this problem it has always been the battery. Has it been cold where you are? And by cold, I mean around freezing. Do you leave the battery on a trickle charger when it sits for a while? It might just be a bad battery, but the suggestion to trouble shoot the electrical system is a good one. Have you ever jump started the battery? If you do, don't turn on the vehicle that's charging your scoot's battery or it could cause problems.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You're under warranty, right?

Electrical problems can be very difficult to track down. After eliminating the obvious possibilities (check terminal connections first!), it gets very hard to hunt for the cause. Could be a bad ground, hidden somewhere, something wrong in the wiring harness.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
peppamint

Post by peppamint »

Yes Eric, still under warranty. I think your right it could be buried in the electrical system. We looked at the svc manual but I still think even if we figure out what is wrong we won't be savvy enough to fix it. It's not the battery because we replaced the battery when we first began with this problem. So it's a new battery that has been charged and maintained properly. When this problem arises its not when you initially start it for the beginning of your ride, it is when you stop for coffee or gas in the MIDDLE of the ride usually a long ride.

We will bring it in this week to have it checked. Will keep MB posted in case anyone else has this problem.

Hope all is well with you!
Peppamint
Keys

Post by Keys »

It COULD be as simple as a loose or corroded battery terminal.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
peppamint

Post by peppamint »

The latest news is that Genuine is going to have it towed down to San Diego for us and have them go over the electrical. It should go down there next week. I'll keep you posted.