Stella 4T--Here but...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

pcbikedude

Stella 4T--Here but...

Post by pcbikedude »

When I was at Motorsports this past weekend they mentioned that they would have the Stellas in on Thursday.

I really pondered it and realized that it would probably be around $4K OTD. That's a lot of money for a piece of nostalgia. There are certainly better scooters out there for a little less money.

I think I think to practical.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
mike_cor

Post by mike_cor »

Well I guess some see the Stella 4T's as a bit of a collectors item, or a base kit for extensive customization. I noticed a lot of scooter retailers sell a lot of accessories for the Stella's, I mean how cool would a side car be?? I love my Buddy and look forward to the coming warmer months but I'm also looking to get my Buddy a bigger brother - got my eyes on a Harley Iron 883 for the longer/freeway commutes.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

If you are like me and like classic styling, love to shift gears, and are a tree-hugger who doesn't want a 2-stroke... what other options are there?
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Silver Streak wrote:If you are like me and like classic styling, love to shift gears, and are a tree-hugger who doesn't want a 2-stroke... what other options are there?
How about the Bajaj Chetak? Classic styling, manual shift, 4T, SUPER easy to get at a good price(There's one for $700 on PX craigslist right now).
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

I hardly think an industry leading, modern 140mpg 4T engine is mere nostalgia. The body style, OK well that's one thing, and liking it or not is a matter of to each their own, but from a marketing standpoint the P series has proven hugely popular for decades now. Bringing back/improving something that many wish had never gone away in the first place is a great move. Even the car companies are on that band wagon now with the new Camero, Charger, Challenger, etc. (I think the El Camino will be next - yes, you heard it here first folks :) ). People dig the old school style. And great design remains great design. Marry authentic vintage style to modern technology and I think you've got a win win situation. I'll happily pay for that.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
laxer

Post by laxer »

Yeah, I looked into buying a classic Mustang and it costs a lot more than a 2011 Focus!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

"Better scooters?" It is what it is, but it's a lot more than a piece of nostalgia. It's an actual, functioning, rideable scooter. You can put a lot of miles on it. It'll get you places. It's different than any other machine on the road, including the Bajajs… Bajajes… Bajajejes… whatever.

A piece of nostalgia is that Heinkel Tourist you paid $4K for that doesn't run and sits in the garage as an objet d'art. :P
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Kaos wrote:
Silver Streak wrote:If you are like me and like classic styling, love to shift gears, and are a tree-hugger who doesn't want a 2-stroke... what other options are there?
How about the Bajaj Chetak? Classic styling, manual shift, 4T, SUPER easy to get at a good price(There's one for $700 on PX craigslist right now).
Mmm... I considered the Bajaj a few years ago, but I don't think it's a really practical option any longer as a reliable, worry-free scoot that won't have to be laid up while you scour around for parts. And I don't have a garage where I can park a couple of parts bikes.

(Besides... it's kinda ugly... :wink:)
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

ericalm wrote:..... Bajajs… Bajajes… Bajajejes… whatever.
Just asked one of my Indian-born co-workers about pluralizing the word "Bajaj". According to him, you can't. Basically, you can't say, "I have three Bajaj's in my driveway". You'd have to say, "I have three Bajaj scooters in my driveway".

So ends today's lesson in Hindi.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

A p.
Silver Streak wrote:
Kaos wrote:
Mmm... I considered the Bajaj a few years ago, but I don't think it's a really practical option any longer as a reliable, worry-free scoot that won't have to be laid up while you scour around for parts. And I don't have a garage where I can park a couple of parts bikes.

I can stil buy new parts for my 74 bajaj easily, so parts supply is likely ok.
The ugly horncasts can supposedly be swapped with a p horncast, then it looks a lot lik
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

My belief is the Stella must cost Genuine more(vs their others) forcing them to price the Stella accordingly.In other words I don't believe Genuine is adding a premium to the Stella but rather a premium is added before them.What that reason is,who knows but there is a reason(s).Not sure how much more the metal body up's the price but it adds some premium.I'd be curious to know.Could be worse,according to 2 stroke buzz if the Vespa PX 150 were imported to the US(Not going to happen) it's price would be well over 5k.

This is a good question for Eric to investigate.he he
Aerosmith, None Other.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Kaos wrote:A p.
Silver Streak wrote:
Kaos wrote: How about the Bajaj Chetak? Classic styling, manual shift, 4T, SUPER easy to get at a good price(There's one for $700 on PX craigslist right now).

The ugly horncasts can supposedly be swapped with a p horncast, then it looks a lot lik
Your points are well-taken, but it's moot for me now as I should be getting my new 4T Stella any day now! :D
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Silver Streak wrote:
Kaos wrote:A p.
Silver Streak wrote: Mmm... I considered the Bajaj a few years ago, but I don't think it's a really practical option any longer as a reliable, worry-free scoot that won't have to be laid up while you scour around for parts. And I don't have a garage where I can park a couple of parts bikes.

Your points are well-taken, but it's moot for me now as I should be getting my new 4T Stella any day now! :D
Sure, its mostly academic :) I was just answering the "what other option is there?" Question.
Roose Hurro

Post by Roose Hurro »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:I hardly think an industry leading, modern 140mpg 4T engine is mere nostalgia. The body style, OK well that's one thing, and liking it or not is a matter of to each their own, but from a marketing standpoint the P series has proven hugely popular for decades now. Bringing back/improving something that many wish had never gone away in the first place is a great move. Even the car companies are on that band wagon now with the new Camero, Charger, Challenger, etc. (I think the El Camino will be next - yes, you heard it here first folks :) ). People dig the old school style. And great design remains great design. Marry authentic vintage style to modern technology and I think you've got a win win situation. I'll happily pay for that.
Already done, but it's only been available in Australia:

http://www.carshowroom.com.au/newcars/r ... Car_Review

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_Ute
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

HAHAHA, it's like if a sedan could have a mullet. :P
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Roose Hurro wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:I hardly think an industry leading, modern 140mpg 4T engine is mere nostalgia. The body style, OK well that's one thing, and liking it or not is a matter of to each their own, but from a marketing standpoint the P series has proven hugely popular for decades now. Bringing back/improving something that many wish had never gone away in the first place is a great move. Even the car companies are on that band wagon now with the new Camero, Charger, Challenger, etc. (I think the El Camino will be next - yes, you heard it here first folks :) ). People dig the old school style. And great design remains great design. Marry authentic vintage style to modern technology and I think you've got a win win situation. I'll happily pay for that.

:bleh:
Syd

Post by Syd »

^^ You should see them in person, Kaos. Nice. But I've been a Ranchero fan, so I kinda liked the Falcon Ute better. Ha!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
dwayneed

Post by dwayneed »

My thought is that if you want to be practical, it's hard to beat a Buddy bang for the buck. Only issue there is the small gas tank and smallish riding area.

The 4T Stella is definitely cool but as long as the 2Ts are still available the only reason I can see to get the 4T is for the paint choices. Man the 4Ts are beautiful!
JHScoot

Re: Stella 4T--Here but...

Post by JHScoot »

pcbikedude wrote:When I was at Motorsports this past weekend they mentioned that they would have the Stellas in on Thursday.

I really pondered it and realized that it would probably be around $4K OTD. That's a lot of money for a piece of nostalgia. There are certainly better scooters out there for a little less money.

I think I think to practical.
you'd be lucky to get a barely decent used car for $4000. i'd put my money on a Stella

"better scooters?" nah. different scooters, sure
Riding is riding
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

dwayneed wrote:My thought is that if you want to be practical, it's hard to beat a Buddy bang for the buck. Only issue there is the small gas tank and smallish riding area.

The 4T Stella is definitely cool but as long as the 2Ts are still available the only reason I can see to get the 4T is for the paint choices. Man the 4Ts are beautiful!
Iv'e owned 2) 2T's in the past and if there had been a choice of 4T in those models I would have seriously considered one.Why? The 2T smoke was a bit much,although not to bad once riding the 2T's when at idle or when stopped the smoke would bother my smell and would absorb into my clothing.

I havn't a clue on the Stella 2T smokiness,how are they in that regard?

The other advantage with a 4T is not having to keep the oil reservoir topped off or worse forgetting to check the reservoir normally resulting in an engine seizure.

I assume the 2T Stella works the same oil wise?
Aerosmith, None Other.
Keys

Post by Keys »

AHhhhhhh....the lovely smell of 2-stroke smoke in the morning!!!

--Keys

P.S. I mean it...
"Life without music would Bb"
devojones

Post by devojones »

Keys wrote:AHhhhhhh....the lovely smell of 2-stroke smoke in the morning!!!

--Keys

P.S. I mean it...
I use 2-stroke oil as cologne.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

devojones wrote:
Keys wrote:AHhhhhhh....the lovely smell of 2-stroke smoke in the morning!!!

--Keys

P.S. I mean it...
I use 2-stroke oil as cologne.
Ahhh..... the smell of spring in my mind.
The first time I start up my 35+ year old Lawn Boy lawn mower!!
(My father bought it for me when I was 16 to mow his lawn with)
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

BuddyLicious wrote:...I havn't a clue on the Stella 2T smokiness,how are they in that regard?
the rumors are true. the Stella 2t is VERY smokey. there is a cool factor to it, but... I have a one car garage and if I'm foolish enough to start it up in the garage and not walk it outside 1st -my lungs and eyes are in what you could call danger. even when the tailpipe is pointed towards the open door. I don't mean to start a fight with this so I will just stop talking about it.
BuddyLicious wrote:...
The other advantage with a 4T is not having to keep the oil reservoir topped off or worse forgetting to check the reservoir normally resulting in an engine seizure.
I assume the 2T Stella works the same oil wise?
I might have misunderstood, but the Stella 2t and any 4T are very different oil wise. one burns oil and gas (causing the great smoke we discussed) while the other only burns gas and, as such, is much cleaner. Don't confuse that as "you can breathe from the tailpipe"- as it's still pollution- still "air garbage", just cleaner "air garbage". :wink:
The Stella 2t is similar to other 2t's, obviously, with one cool difference.
No need to worry about the oil reservoir, just look at The sight glass! (can somebody post a picture of it here?) This cool little thing makes it easy and fun to keep an eye on the oil! in my experience I was looking at the sight glass so often I was quite excited to finally add oil. I can confidently say that there is no danger of "forgetting to check the reservoir normally". it's right next to the choke and the fuel tap, you'll allways look there -at least when you start it up.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
dwayneed

Post by dwayneed »

Many actually convert injected 2T to pre mix, there's the off chance that the injector stops working on injected 2ts and make the engine very unhappy.
I don't get much smoke at all on my Stella with a Sito+ with natural, blend, or synthetic oils.
A 4t in my mind puts out the same amount of exhaust, you just can't see it. If you start either type of bike in your garage and let it run I probably wouldn't recommend hanging out in there.... even with the door open....

There is definitely something essential about 2T smoke smell for me.. if you dont like it you can always get fluffy fruity strawberry 2t oil and there are even additives for other special flavors too. The best smell is natural 2T smell IMO.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

dwayneed wrote:Many actually convert injected 2T to pre mix, there's the off chance that the injector stops working on injected 2ts and make the engine very unhappy.
I don't get much smoke at all on my Stella with a Sito+ with natural, blend, or synthetic oils.
A 4t in my mind puts out the same amount of exhaust, you just can't see it. If you start either type of bike in your garage and let it run I probably wouldn't recommend hanging out in there.... even with the door open....

There is definitely something essential about 2T smoke smell for me.. if you dont like it you can always get fluffy fruity strawberry 2t oil and there are even additives for other special flavors too. The best smell is natural 2T smell IMO.
Actually, at the same rpm a 2T puts out roughly twice as much exhaust as a 4T of the same displacement.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

killbilly

Post by killbilly »

Roose Hurro wrote:

Actually GM is giving that Holden serious consideration for bringing into the US under the El Camino badge.

They've done it before - it was a Holden design that was the last GTO from Pontiac. I kinda like the thing, honestly.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Stellas landing in other states now. Motorcycle Shop in San Antonio just got theirs & posted pics on their FB.

w00t, I say.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

Using the internet for evil since 1994.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

The St. Louis dealer had three prepped and on the floor last week.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

My Dealer hasn't gotten them yet but, he keeps trying to sell me a 2T for $2595......
Said he'd have them by the middle of next month though.
Nullius in verba
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

rsrider wrote:Image
Am I weird?
That pic made me think of a lovely lady in lingerie..... :headache:
Nullius in verba
TVB

Post by TVB »

Yes. You are. :)
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

TVB wrote:Yes. You are. :)
Thank You......... :rofl:
Nullius in verba
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

I did get a chance to check out the Stellas at Motorsports this last weekend. They are nice looking scooter but...

It is my understanding that the shipment that the dealer are getting now is all they are getting for the whole year.

Is there any indication from Genuine that they are going to continue the Stella after this year?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

pcbikedude wrote:I did get a chance to check out the Stellas at Motorsports this last weekend. They are nice looking scooter but...

It is my understanding that the shipment that the dealer are getting now is all they are getting for the whole year.

Is there any indication from Genuine that they are going to continue the Stella after this year?
Second shipment is already on its way. Special models too from what I've heard. Stella's here to stay.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pcbikedude wrote:Is there any indication from Genuine that they are going to continue the Stella after this year?
Yeah, there are more coming (according to Philip McCaleb in the recent podcast…)
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
pcbikedude wrote:I did get a chance to check out the Stellas at Motorsports this last weekend. They are nice looking scooter but...

Second shipment is already on its way. Special models too from what I've heard. Stella's here to stay.
What are Special models???
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Mulliganal wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:

What are Special models???
Limited editions. There were two of the original Stella, the GB150 and the Atomic Fireball, both numbered, limited to 500.

HOWEVER, we do not know for sure that we're getting a limited edition, as what was said was "Stella variant." I'm still thinking it's possible we may see the electric Stella.

Atomic Fireball:

GB150:
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

I probably be persuaded if Genuine brought in the "Star 200i".
or even this
or maybe this
possibly this
but definitely NOT this. :rofl:
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

ericalm wrote:Limited editions. There were two of the original Stella, the GB150 and the Atomic Fireball, both numbered, limited to 500.

HOWEVER, we do not know for sure that we're getting a limited edition, as what was said was "Stella variant." I'm still thinking it's possible we may see the electric Stella.
Thanks eric, do they normally cost more or are they set at the same price and there are just fewer of them?
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

pcbikedude wrote:Image
:shock: I NEEEEEEEEED THAT PINK SEAT OMFG :cry:
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The Limited editions do cost more.

The 200i: Don't hold your breath. It's pretty much a concept vehicle.

The Corsa and 2-tone versions: DIY! I'm already thinking about custom paint and graphics now that my Stella is no longer so "unique." Well, it's uniquely scratched up and dirty. :?

I've heard Rt. 66 in Marina Del Rey has already sold a cool in-house custom and is working on a bad ass blue custom for the shop/owner.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

I don't think the 200i is a concept any longer. The LML Europe website has it as "Coming Soon". But I have no idea when the website was last updated.

Hey we can start the rumor here.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

pcbikedude wrote:I don't think the 200i is a concept any longer. The LML Europe website has it as "Coming Soon". But I have no idea when the website was last updated.

That's what it said the moment they started showing it at EICMA. There will be a 200i eventually. It'll probably be a couple years before we see it in the US.
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

pcbikedude wrote:I don't think the 200i is a concept any longer. The LML Europe website has it as "Coming Soon". But I have no idea when the website was last updated.
I LOVE it!
A little bird told me that the LML website was last updated in feburary... :lol:
Rumor officially started.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Five minutes after a 200i 4T Stella is available in the US, I am on my way down to the dealer to picl one up. And five minutes after that I will buy a Cozy sidecar to hang on the side. That would finally be the right side car and scooter tug for my garage.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Dooglas wrote:Five minutes after a 200i 4T Stella is available in the US, I am on my way down to the dealer to picl one up. And five minutes after that I will buy a Cozy sidecar to hang on the side. That would finally be the right side car and scooter tug for my garage.
Aerosmith, None Other.
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Dooglas wrote:Five minutes after a 200i 4T Stella is available in the US, I am on my way down to the dealer to picl one up. And five minutes after that I will buy a Cozy sidecar to hang on the side. That would finally be the right side car and scooter tug for my garage.
Anyone know how the current 2T performs with sidecar? I'd like to have one of these for my soon-to-have 4T but I just wonder how it changes the performance.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

If you want a much slower vehicle, that doesn't tilt and is oddly balanced, a sidecar is just the thing!

I love sidecars, but would only mount one on a scoot if I had a separate scooter just for the sidecar. Maybe if I get a dog, but that's not happening anytime soon. So…