Evaporator trouble

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

the3rdleonard

Evaporator trouble

Post by the3rdleonard »

HELP!!! I noticed a couple of small fresh puddles of gas while I was checking my tire pressure for a ride last week. Turns out my evaporator was completely full, I had been filling up all the way to the brim and I do recognize that could be part of the initial problem. So I took the evap off but now when I ride, or when I put Julius on his double kick stand, gas leaks out on to the casing just above the kick start (where the tube connected to nothing now leads). I've done a search here on the forum but can only find reference to the evap with starting trouble, that's not and issue. I don't like loosing gas and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this issue. What did you do to fix it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

When you say "evaporator," do you mean just the hose? Can you post a pic of where the gas is coming form?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Perhaps the carbon canister? A small black plastic cylinder? I bet that a new one and judicious 'not to the brim' filling would help.

The whole emissions system (gas vapor recovery in this case) has been know to fall off of some scoots. I would never do such a thing, but bumps sometimes dislodge emissions systems.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
the3rdleonard

Post by the3rdleonard »

Here's a pic of what I'm calling an evaporator (I already have the bike put back together and its not a good time to take it apart again) it attaches to the fuel tank, via a hose (which you can see once the pet carrier is removed) just to the right of the cap.

Rippinyarn could be right calling it a carbon canister instead of an evaporator. The carbon is what catches the gas fumes so they don't escape as fuel evaporates while your engine is turned off. The fumes are typically then recycled into the engine for combustion once you restart.

What I don't understand is why when my tank was nearly empty today a moderate braking for a red light I saw coming for blocks, or even putting the bike up on the double stand, would make it loose so much fuel (enough to cover your hand, may not sound like much but this was at nearly every stop I made)... :(

I'm sure I can make it stop leaking by putting the evap back on, but I fear it will just build up until there's too much like last time. Which could lead to larger problems down the road, maybe this leads to hard starting? Or stalling? Is there a way around this system? Or do I have to put it on and just deal with it?
Attachments
Image03222011172607.jpg
Image03222011172607.jpg (143.97 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
easy

Post by easy »

I think your overfilling it on my 09 you can see a metal circle and I think up to that is full. I think you can take the canistier apart and replace the charcoal. Pet stores usally carry it for fish tanks
what did you trade the day for?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

When I first got it I used to fill up my Buddy closer to the brim and when I did after fillup there would always be gas dripping out of the right side very near the muffler. This is normal on a Buddy if it is overfilled. If that is what's happening with you just leave an inch or so to spare when topping off. That's the only thing I can think of.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

If yo removed the evap canister and hoses, gas could be splashing out of the tank where the vapor recover tube connects. It'll splash whenever you jolt the scooter, like putting it on the stand.

You shouldn't (ever) need to disconnect and remove the whole evap system. If you already have a vented gas cap but the evap is still causing a recurring problem, there may be a blockage or a problem with one of the hoses. Otherwise, that's probably not the problem.

I say reconnect the evap hoses and see how it runs.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

When you performed your evapecomy, did you cap off the nipples where you disconnected the fuel lines?
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
the3rdleonard

Post by the3rdleonard »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:When I first got it I used to fill up my Buddy closer to the brim and when I did after fillup there would always be gas dripping out of the right side very near the muffler. This is normal on a Buddy if it is overfilled. If that is what's happening with you just leave an inch or so to spare when topping off. That's the only thing I can think of.
I think Skootz has explained exactly what happened. I just panicked when I saw the gas and took it to the shop, they actually performed the "evapectomy" (props to lostmycage).

They didn't clamp off the tubes from the tank because none of us expected it to loose fuel like it has. I plan to reattach the system but wonder if I should put new charcoal in the filter now that it's been saturated with fuel.

Easy, you mentioned getting it at a pet store, have you tried that? Or are you just super awesome at thinking outside the box?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This filter/canister should dry out. There's a valve on there to prevent gas from getting too far in. If you make sure none is in there, you can probably just hit it with some compressed are and it'll be okay.
the3rdleonard

Post by the3rdleonard »

ericalm wrote:This filter/canister should dry out. There's a valve on there to prevent gas from getting too far in. If you make sure none is in there, you can probably just hit it with some compressed are and it'll be okay.
So, this valve... does it divert fuel when it does start to get too far in? Ie, would that be how my scoot originally leaked fuel? :?: :?:
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

the3rdleonard wrote: mentioned getting it at a pet store, have you tried that? Or are you just super awesome at thinking outside the box?
Been using the stuff for all sorts of stuff for years....
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2753996
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

the3rdleonard wrote:
ericalm wrote:This filter/canister should dry out. There's a valve on there to prevent gas from getting too far in. If you make sure none is in there, you can probably just hit it with some compressed are and it'll be okay.
So, this valve... does it divert fuel when it does start to get too far in? Ie, would that be how my scoot originally leaked fuel? :?: :?:
If there's sufficient flow, gas will get through the valve. It's really intended for the vapors; ideally gas wouldn't get in there to begin with. It's one of the failings of having this system shoehorned onto every design that's sold in CA; causes trouble with all kinds of bikes & scooters.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

the3rdleonard wrote: They didn't clamp off the tubes from the tank because none of us expected it to loose fuel like it has. I plan to reattach the system but wonder if I should put new charcoal in the filter now that it's been saturated with fuel.
I believe that this is the source of your problem. If you yank out the canister, you've still got to engineer a hose routing solution so that the tank doesn't come under vacuum (vapor lock) or dump gas anytime it makes a left leaning turn (or right, I forget which side it's on). Suggest that they add an "L" tube pointing up with an air/breather type filter fitting for the end. That will allow the tank to vent, but will give the liquid gas some resistance to work against (as opposed to just dumping right out) and keep excessive dust particles from mixing in with your fuel.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.