1st dealer service is a HUGE SCAM!!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

chadseld

1st dealer service is a HUGE SCAM!!!

Post by chadseld »

_RANT_
I'm a bit PO'd at the moment. I just had my required dealer service done. The service cost $140. The just looked at the bike, honked the horn, and then proceeded to replace the engine oil with the WRONG viscosity oil. The manual says 15W40, my invoice says they put in 5W40.

Are they damaging my bike by putting 5W40 in there?

I wonder what they put in the gear box? That oil isn't even listed on the invoice.

Requiring the 1st service to be done at the dealer is a scam to get dealers to sell the bikes. Who charges $140 for an oil change???

I do have a question...
Should I change my oil again or leave the 5W40 in there for the next 2000 miles?
chadseld

Post by chadseld »

Ok, I'm cooling off a bit. Could it be that 5W40 is a better oil than the 15W40 called for in the manual?

I'm just having flash backs to my last computer repair, I got the computer back with all the screws stripped, the case cracked, etc... At that point I grew to distrust repair technicians :)
db

Post by db »

I agree that the price for the first service is a rip, I can take my car in for an oil change for $15, I know they change the gear oil and check something else but $100+, but I guess thats the price for the warrenty and being able to do it your self everytime after that
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I just got mine back from the first service. They were nice enough to not charge me labor but it was still a solid $53.

I don't know about the motor oil--mine is listed as 10w50? The other invoice has "Elf moto 4 xt synthetic" listed for the oil. Does anyone know if this is right?
ThisDude

Post by ThisDude »

15w-40 is really all you'll need if you're in a fairly hot tropical area like asian countries where this is it's primary market but in colorado where it is colder it is good that they put in a thinner winter rated oil. It'll be safe for startups cause oil will flow but it'll be the correct 40 weight oil when you're all warmed up. If you notice whenever oil questions come up I try to post. There are lots of myths and misconceptions about oil and what the weights mean and ESPECIALLY concerning synthetic oil, but your dealership in colorado is smart putting in your oil because when winter rolls around with 15w oil in your bike it will practically be solid in sub freezing weather. I try to clear these up, since I'm studying manufacturing and I also talk with industrial chemistry students and engineers about this stuff. Yes I'm one of the few engineering students with a genuine interest in engineering. But 140 buck is a ripoff, I paid 80 for mine and I specifically told Mike at noho to not touch the gear oil since I changed it with synthetic. Hell I run synthetic in everything I use. And I change my oil every 1000 miles. So pretty much I change my oil every 2 weeks, and my gear oil once a month. But I'm a crazy iron butt rider, and I'm going crazy that my bike is at the dealer for a blown crankcase seal that apparentley nobody has and not even bearing suppliers have in inventory :cry:
Last edited by ThisDude on Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Thisdude, from your post I take it the 10w50 I got should be fine in Oklahoma (hot and humid but with cold winters)? Just be sure to warm it up on cold days?
ThisDude

Post by ThisDude »

Yeah you'd be fine with 10w-50 but if you're pretty low on miles next time I'd change to 10w-40. No big deal just you'll lose gas mileage running such a thick warm-rated oil. And I hate when dealers use motorcycle oil in scooters, and charge a ton, especially a special oil like elf it's French like Perrier (ever seen Talledega Nights) Regular old car oil is good enough, and you don't have to pay extra for high tech clutch rated polymers which we don't need. Which I think still is hype since motorcycle oil sells for even more than the value the polymers add.
chadseld

Post by chadseld »

I'm really glad to hear that about the oil. I'm a technical guy, but have never learned _anything_ about the automotive world because the last thing I need is a new hobby. :) I'm glad my dealership knows what they are doing.
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

How often does the Buddy 125 need oil/gear change?

I had mine changed at 560 miles and dealer said to come back at 2000 miles.

Is it suppose to be changed every 1,000 miles?

If so, I think I'll need to learn how to change it myself...that could be a disaster in the making.

The dealer I go to charged me around $50.00 for the first oil/gear change.

So, why does it cost so much more to change the scooter than my car?
ThisDude

Post by ThisDude »

You'll be good for 2000 miles with the oil filter and backup screen on our Buddies our oil stays pretty darn clean so 1500 to 2000 mile oil changes isn't unreasonable, especially if you use synthetics, synthetic oils practically don't break down and thin out which is what we need to worry about having hot running air cooled engines. I just change mine often because I beat the hell out of my bikes, miles and miles of riding non-stop sometimes on the freeway, that alone is hard on oil even synthetics.
ThisDude

Post by ThisDude »

And as for why it costs more to change oil on bikes is simply there's no competition to change oil in motorcycles and the low volume the dealerships have mean less profit margins. But changing the oil yourself isn't that hard just put a pan under your scooter take out the drain bolt and let all the oil out into the pan and put the plug back in tight. Unscrew the oil filter with a big screw driver or file then screw in the new oil filter snug. Put new oil in through the dipstick with a funnel, 800 cc's is enough. Start it up and let it idle for a couple minutes then check the oil level and fill it if you need to. Sounds complicated but if I need to rush I can do it in about 10 minutes. Of course dispose of the oil properly put it in an old oil bottle and usually pep boys or any other commercial automotive store for that matter will take it in for free (it's actually a valuable commodity, it can be burned to produce energy).
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

When the oil is changed at 2,000 miles then does the gear need to be changed as often as the oil?

Then is it every 2,000 miles that it needs to be changed again?

Hmmm...I seen the photos for the oil change on another thread so maybe this is something I could attempt.

I don't think I am riding my scoot hard/hot whatever. My usual ride is 25 miles round trip traveling at 30-50mph. Takes me about 15-20mn to get to my destination then I'm there for a few hours and ride back again.
If I ride again, it's usually an hour or so after the first jaunt.

I think I've owned it a month now and turned over 1,000 miles today. The first couple of weeks I was riding it more often and practicing.
twharton

Post by twharton »

... think I've owned it a month now and turned over 1,000 miles today.

I've had mine a year and am only at 960 miles. Truly a weekend rider.
twharton
Northwest, FL
"Where thousands live the way millions wish they could!"
ThisDude

Post by ThisDude »

I think you'll be safe ryder1, I ride pretty much full throttle 40 miles a day for my commute to work, 30-50 mph is nothing and you'll definitely be safe changine 2000 miles, if you change to synthetic oil in the gears you'd be safe for 5000 mile gear oil changes, or more, but I would change it out just to be safe as metal can accumulate in the gear oil eventually. I put about 1500 hard miles before I checked my gear oil and it was still clear with just a hint of metal so 5000 should be safe. I'd like to send my gear oil for analyses in a lab to see how long it can actually go for but it's 18 dollars that is like 20 gear oil changes worth of money which for me is goes for 40,000 miles so I don't see any point in that.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This is a problem with your dealer, not with Genuine or the Buddy. There are very good reasons for having the dealer do the first service in order to retain your warranty.

Keep in mind the $100/hr. in labor alone is not unusual for motorcycle/scooter shops. Of course, if you pay that they should actually be doing the work. I don't have the list of all the checks they should perform handy, but it may be in the Buddy manual.

Did you watch them doing the service? How long did it take? Did they check valve clearance or anything along those lines?

5W40 is commonly used in 4 stroke scooters. It should be fine in your Buddy. But if you're concerned or bothered by the cost, why not talk to your dealer?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

The receipt for the first oil change has description:
Four stroke synthetic oil
BelRaySAE90 Hyp Oil

This was at 560 miles.

Is that quality?
ThisDude

Post by ThisDude »

Yep that's good, although we don't have hypoid gears so we don't need hypoid oil. But that's not important anyway.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

ryder1 wrote:How often does the Buddy 125 need oil/gear change?

I had mine changed at 560 miles and dealer said to come back at 2000 miles.

Is it suppose to be changed every 1,000 miles?

If so, I think I'll need to learn how to change it myself...that could be a disaster in the making.

The dealer I go to charged me around $50.00 for the first oil/gear change.

So, why does it cost so much more to change the scooter than my car?
Everyone must go read POC Phil's "Oil Rant"
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

So, is the 1st dealer service still a scam?
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
chadseld

Post by chadseld »

Yeah, it's still a scam. It's like the college text book scam. There is no possibility of competition so the price is set very high. It is a kick back to the dealership for carrying the buddy product line.
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

It's like the college text book scam.

Okay, now I'm officially confused. How does "a kickback to the dealership" equate to college textbooks? Are you saying textbooks are sold at inflated prices or that colleges and universities get "kickbacks" from their bookstores? I'm just wondering because every college and university I've ever known has an independent bookstore operating on its campus. So there's no kickback that I know of. College bookstores are expensive, mainly because they have a captive audience. But, you do have alternatives. Scooter and moto shops also have a somewhat captive audience, but again, there are alternatives.

If you're simply saying that you're paying inflated prices for books and scooter service, that fact I can accept. Keeping it to scooters, you have other options available for scooter service. Find an independent shop or do oil changes yourself. If I had a private garage, I'd do oil changes for sure. When you buy a motorcycle or scooter and you choose to have service done at the dealership, you are (in most cases) going to pay a high price for labor and every service is going to have a set number of hours assigned to it, regardless of how long the service actually takes. You're also going to pay fees for proper disposal of toxic substances as well as inflated prices for parts and oil. This is how scooter shops and motorcycle shops make money. They make relatively little on actual scooter sales but the income from service, parts and accessories (hopefully) keeps them profitable.

If you choose to ride without doing your own service, you will spend money, no matter where you take your ride. You'll pay considerably more for service, supplies and parts than you would for a car. That's just the way it is. When the tires wear out on my GT (at about the 6000 mile mark), it'll cost me $500 to replace them, not including installation. Is that a scam? I don't think so. Do I like the fact that moto service and parts are expensive? No, but I love riding and that's part of the cost. Sort of like the costs associated with skiing, scuba diving, hell, most things that are fun.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

Dealer only charged $25 and they reset the idle (I had already changed the oil at around 400 miles, so I told them not to change it). We're pretty happy with them. Susan's got almost 1100 miles on Buddy.
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

Genuine doesn't set the prices on maintenance service. That is up to each individual dealer based on local costs and factors.
- Bryce
ThisDude

Post by ThisDude »

I found an excellent way to save on books, find out what classes don't require you to have the book with you. Then in those classes borrow the book from the library, scan it into your computer and you'll have it with you forever for free, less if you decide to print it out but not as expensive as buying the book.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Dealer service can be pricey, yes. But I trust my dealer, and I don't feel at all taken advantage of. I was informed of labor rates prior to my purchase, and I've never questioned the amount of time that was indicated on my invoices or work orders. [Shameless plug once again for Metro Scooter in Cincinnati.] :D 8)

Honestly, I don't think the first service is a rip-off if it's done the way it's supposed to be done: Your tech should basically check over ALL of the systems on the bike to make sure that everything is still functioning the way that it should be. Really, it's the only way that Genuine could afford to offer the warranty that they do: To make sure that the Buddy is still running properly after the most critical period of use. The only way to verify that is to have a tech at their dealership check it out.

Your dealer should have informed you of their labor rates prior to the purchase of the Buddy (or you should have asked, same as with purchasing any vehicle, IMO). But even if they (and you) failed to discuss that, you should have signed a work order that gave you an estimate of how much the service would cost and what services would be performed.

It sounds to me like there's a pretty substantial lack of communication between you and your dealer. :(
Huh? What just happened?
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Well, if the first dealer service is supposed be a 'kick back' for the dealers, my dealer didn't get the memo. They did the first service for free.

That was last year, perhaps they have their 'priorities' straight now ...
chadseld

Post by chadseld »

I'll try to explain. I was informed that I was required to go back to my dealer for the 1st service or my warranty would be void. After the 1st service, I can change the oil myself. Because the dealer knows that I have no choice but to come back to them, they can set the price as high as they want.

The warranty policy is set by Genuine. When the dealer chooses which scooters to sell, they know that when they sell any Genuine scooter, they get the price of the scooter plus an additional $140 oil change in a month or so. Call it a commission, a kick-back, a perk. Whatever, it's disingenuous not to include that cost in the sticker price.
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Is this in the Buddy manual..I was informed that I was required to go back to my dealer for the 1st service or my warranty would be void.

That was not mentioned when I was inquiring about the Buddy.

Where is it written?

Thank you
Dooglas

1st dealer service is a HUGE SCAM

Post by Dooglas »

I wouldn't be so quick to write off the first service. Any engine, including the Buddy, needs a checkout and adjustment by an experienced mechanic after the break-in period as well as an oil change. Genuine is correct to link that to continued warranty coverage. Judging from the comments on mechanical issues by most posters on this board, very few have the experience to perform that kind of initial servicing yourself. Have it done by someone who knows the bike and knows what they are doing. This should and will cost more than an oil change at Jiffy Lube. Now, if the dealer is over charging (i.e. not normal shop rate) or not actually doing the checkout and adjustment, that is a different thing.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

ryder1 wrote:Is this in the Buddy manual..I was informed that I was required to go back to my dealer for the 1st service or my warranty would be void.

That was not mentioned when I was inquiring about the Buddy.

Where is it written?
It's written on your warranty card.

It's not as if this is some unusual practice, cooked up by Genuine and the dealers as some sort of way to scam owners. This is common and, as others have said, allows Genuine to offer their warranty be ensuring the first service includes certain checks and is performed by a trained service tech.

If this is not the service you're receiving, ask the dealer precisely what maintenance and systems checks they performed. They have certain requirements put on them in order to sell Genuine scooters and a proper first maintenance is part of that.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Thanks for the FYI.

I did not specifically check into that before purchasing.
The dealer filled in the Warranty card, had me signed and sent it in.

Come to think of it, is the Title given at time of purchase, when the license plates come or when should I have received that?
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

The plates will arrive at the dealer. Title will be sent to you. This usually takes a couple of weeks.
-K

My SmugMug
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Plates came to dealer and put on when I had the oil/gear change.

I will watch for the Title in the postal mail.

Thank you
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

So, I probably missed your first post, and I'm too lazy to search, which Buddy do you own? Color? Dealer?
Apologies to others for the bandwidth....or just PM me.
-K

My SmugMug
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

chadseld wrote:I'll try to explain. I was informed that I was required to go back to my dealer for the 1st service or my warranty would be void. After the 1st service, I can change the oil myself. Because the dealer knows that I have no choice but to come back to them, they can set the price as high as they want.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/bus ... ranty.shtm

Read that.
- Bryce
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

Bryce, I'm a lawyer, but even I was too discombobulated by the FTC page to be able to find the info you apparently wanted to highlight. Can you give us a quick summary?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

cowgirl helmet wrote:Bryce, I'm a lawyer, but even I was too discombobulated by the FTC page to be able to find the info you apparently wanted to highlight. Can you give us a quick summary?
Probably this section... color added by me for emphasis...
"Tie-In Sales" Provisions
Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.

Although tie-in sales provisions generally are not allowed, you can include such a provision in your warranty if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service. If you believe that this is the case, you should contact the warranty staff of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver of the tie-in sales prohibition.
un_designer

Post by un_designer »

hm... interesting. so it's one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't law.

i can see how the manufacturer wants to protect themselves from frivolous lawsuits that comes about as a result of improper repair/service from a non-official dealer (whether or not the "official" dealer has extensive knowledge about a product that cannot be replicated elsewhere could be debatable depending on the product, but that's another conversation).

however, i'm pretty surprised that the "you must bring it back here for the service or else the warranty is void" language is so specific and strong. i bought mine used, and the warranty doesn't transfer so it doesn't really make a difference to me anyway. i just bring it back to the genuine dealer because they're the only one here, and they would know more about the scooter than another scooter dealer since this is what they sell.

having said that, though, i WILL go on record to say that i DON'T like the fact that there is never anything in writing. i have gotten different price quotes from different people at various times, which leads me to believe that there's some weird unspoken rule about how much people are being charged... just because. if i hadn't asked again to confirm when come back for something after getting the original quote, i would have been charged the higher price both time.

i like to support my local dealer just as much as anyone else, because when they succeed and stay around, we all win. but i don't like the way business is handled and how fickle prices are depending on i-don't-know-what.

i'm curious if anyone else have had the same experience?
whonozz

Post by whonozz »

I'd say for you to decide whether or not you got scammed you should have simple comparisons. I just turned 300 miles and took my SI in for it's first service. Total cost, $39.00
monza

Post by monza »

I would point out that it is illegal to refuse to honor the warrantee if you havent had your scooter serviced at a dealer. It is called the Magnusen-Moss Act. Flash that at your dealer and see him cringe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

or

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ft ... dermag.htm

What you do have to do though is have proof that the service was done at a shop that regularly engages in like work. It is then up to the manufacturer to prove that you didnt have the scooter properly serviced (which they dont pursue because the legal costs are higher than just paying to fix the problem).
-Paul O.
63 VNB "125 Super"
62 Mini Cooper 1100
monza

Post by monza »

Oh, and here is my take on having a scooter shop service your scooter:

viewtopic.php?t=1369&highlight=#15830

basically, dont expect $19 oil changes like you do at a car dealership (who grosses sales in the millions each year).
-Paul O.
63 VNB "125 Super"
62 Mini Cooper 1100
Stampede

Post by Stampede »

I am a mechanic at a scooter shop that sells Buddys (and other makes). When I do a service on a scooter I change the oil and filter, clean the screen, check and adjust the brakes, clean the front disk brake, check and lube all cables as needed, check and adjust the idle speed, change the gear oil, clean the air filter, check tires for abnormal wear and pressure, check all the lights, Inspect the spark plug and replace if necessary and road test for any squeaks and rattles or other problems.

If your local dealer is doing their job right the dealer service is not a rip off. Most of our customers bring their scooters in for all of their services and oil changes not just the required first service.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Stampede wrote:I am a mechanic at a scooter shop that sells Buddys (and other makes). When I do a service on a scooter I change the oil and filter, clean the screen, check and adjust the brakes, clean the front disk brake, check and lube all cables as needed, check and adjust the idle speed, change the gear oil, clean the air filter, check tires for abnormal wear and pressure, check all the lights, Inspect the spark plug and replace if necessary and road test for any squeaks and rattles or other problems.

If your local dealer is doing their job right the dealer service is not a rip off. Most of our customers bring their scooters in for all of their services and oil changes not just the required first service.
Is there a checklist from Genuine used for the first service? Just curious.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

ericalm wrote: Is there a checklist from Genuine used for the first service? Just curious.
Yes, there is on pages 29 and 30 in the (funny grammar) 2007 owners' manual.
awbuff

haven't seen anything in writing...

Post by awbuff »

I bought a 2007 Buddy 125 last month. I have looked all through the manual and even at my "Warranty Certificate" which has a section on it titled "What You Must Do" and NOWHERE does it say 1st service must be performed by dealer. Also, my dealer never said anything about it when I bought the scooter or when I came in to buy an oil filter at 200 miles. I remember signing a warranty registration card that the dealer sent in to Genuine but it was just my name and address and the vin number of the scooter.

My question is this...could Genuine have changed their policy on this? As far as I'm concerned, If I've never seen it in writing, the requirement does not exist. has there been any official communication from Genuine about this?
pocphil
Dealer

You think $100 is expensive!?!?!?

Post by pocphil »

We just got back from a tour of our local harley dealership / cafe / restaurant / entertainment complex and their shop rate for a 1st service is $240.

1- The first service is not a kickback to Genuine Dealers or anything so nefarious. Give up the conspiracy theory. There is no Genuine Policy or anything even recommending dealers charge a certain amount.

2 - The first service if done correctly should take your dealer about 1 hour and they should be charging you for that hour, along with a quart of oil and a filter, we give the customer the 90cc's of final drive oil at no charge. Some dealers have to charge a nominal fee for oil disposal depeding on your state.

3 - The first service SHOULD be mandatory to maintain your warranty and here's why: We have caught MANY factory assembly errors and loose fittings during our first services. Some of these were on brake system or fuel system components. Fortunately the Buddy's have been pretty trouble free, but you've still got to look and test. Also any potential warranty issues you're having with your scooter should be brought to your dealers attention at this time.

4 - We have seen 3 customers who have lost their oil filters (too loosely installed) stripped out their oil drain plug (cross threaded) and stripped out their final drive oil plugs (over-tightened). In each of these situations the repair cost the owner FAR more than it would have cost for us to change their oil. The other additional perk of having the dealer change your oil is the dealer knows what to look for as far as tire / brake wear, suspension problems or electrical system problems. We look over the scooter from front to back while it's in for ANY service.

5 - This year I have probably done 500 oil changes or so, I have seen maybe 4 people who have had their tires inflated to proper levels. That means the rest of them were all GUILTY of not properly maintaining the one part of their scooter that can really keep them from crashing in an emergency situation.

SYNOPSIS:

Yes- You should have your first service done by your dealer.
Yes- The service regimine is very easy on a buddy scooter and you can probably do most of it yourself.
Yes- Most dealers do a great job and the squeaky wheel definitely gets the grease on this forum.
NO- You shouldn't pay for service you don't get.

DISCLAIMER - ALL OF THIS IS ASSUMING YOUR DEALER IS NOT A WELL-DEVELOPED CHIMP. THERE ARE BAD / LAZY DEALERS OUT THERE. GENUINE CAN'T INDIVIDUALLY SPOT CHECK EVERY DEALER THEY APPROVE TO SELL THEIR PRODUCT. IT'S UP TO THE CONSUMER TO CONTACT GENUINE OR ANY MANUFACTURER WHEN THEY BELIEVE THEY ARE BEING MISTREATED.
Tbone

Post by Tbone »

From my research on this board, the Modern Vespa board. The scooterists I work with and actually picking up the phone to talk to shops who do scooter oil changes/services...the average cost is about $100.

Why I'm going to the dealer for my 1st service once I get my bike back...
A. I'm not mechanically inclined. That's why I bought a modern scoot vs vintage.
B. They'll check/find things I wouldn't think of.
C. I will hook up with other scooterists (We've already emailed and discussed this) who have changed their oil and shown others how to do it to show me how to do BASIC MAINTENANCE on my bike. Infact the person I've talked to is running a basic maintenance workshop out in the Carolina's at a rally soon.

It's debatable for me and my wife if I'll take the scooter back for basic maintenance after the initial service. I was promised verbally at the time of sale that my 1st service would be free, but nothing is in my paperwork. We shall see, I'll let you know the cost.
"Life Is all about ASS! You're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, or trying to get a piece of it!"
awbuff

Not disputing the value of good service...

Post by awbuff »

Thanks pocphil for the clarification. I do not doubt the value of good service done by a properly trained and experienced mechanic. To me these were two different issues. For someone who has access to a good dealer and is not a mechanic, I would see no reason not to go to the dealer for first service. But there are many who live in rural areas without access to a dealer or who have been properly maintaining vehicles for many years and know how to keep the records to show it was done properly, there should not be an arbitrary penalty of having your warranty voided.