electric starter issue on my 2009 buddy 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

basil46

electric starter issue on my 2009 buddy 125

Post by basil46 »

My 2009 buddy 125 have 1200 mileages now and still under the warranty. This morning I used electric starter to start but now it won't start but I kick start manual and run well
I try to find right solution about electric starter.
Does it need recharge the battery even I have only 1200 mileages already?
Does electric starter have malfunction ?
fuel gauge problem?
I live in South Florida then cold weather is not issue here for the starter.
I read several answers on this discussion but I am not sure tp pinpoint the problem with electric starter.
From now on I have to use kick start instead So I am figuring out what's wrong with electric starter.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

It sounds like it could just be a drained battery. Have you tried going for a nice long ride to recharge the battery? (like an hour or more) If generally you tend to take very short rides, they may not be long enough to replace the battery charge used in starting the scooter. If so, over time the battery will become drained.

This might be a good, no-cost way to start the diagnosis.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
basil46

Post by basil46 »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:It sounds like it could just be a drained battery. Have you tried going for a nice long ride to recharge the battery? (like an hour or more) If generally you tend to take very short rides, they may not be long enough to replace the battery charge used in starting the scooter. If so, over time the battery will become drained.

This might be a good, no-cost way to start the diagnosis.
thank for rely back, I commute to work only 3 miles almost everyday that is very short rides that drain my battery already? so that mean I have to use battery tender to charge on battery?
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

yep get a tender short low speed rides will killa scooter battery you never ahve enough time to recharge the battery
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

I had a similar issue last year. Changed the battery (I have an '06 buddy) and checked to make sure connections were all still good. Ended up needing a new starter. So after making sure it isn't the battery, it really could be the starter. Even though starter issues in buddies have been rare.
Mighty Ohio Scooter Club

C2

Re: electric starter issue on my 2009 buddy 125

Post by C2 »

basil46 wrote:My 2009 buddy 125 have 1200 mileages now and still under the warranty. This morning I used electric starter to start but now it won't start but I kick start manual and run well
I try to find right solution about electric starter.
I had a similar issues and it took me a while to track it down. For me, it turned out to be the stator so you might have that checked out by your local mechanic.

Cheers,
C2
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Depending on just what the issue is it's worth checking the fuse that is underneath the battery compartment. It's in a white plastic clip and the contacts for it can come loose. I've seen this advice posted by BuddyRaton on a few other starter threads and when I was having some problems with mine, reseating that fuse seems to have cleared them up.

(EDIT- messing with that fuse worked once but I'm still having trouble so I'm as confused as anyone!)
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Hey Basil- I saw your scooter at Vespa Fort Lauderdale today. Were you getting your electric start issues looked at? What did they find? Mine was in for the same thing- apparently my starter has gone bad and they are ordering me a new one.

Good guys there- and they are now Genuine dealers!

That's my Italia next to your Buddy
basil46

jmazza

Post by basil46 »

jmazza wrote:Hey Basil- I saw your scooter at Vespa Fort Lauderdale today. Were you getting your electric start issues looked at? What did they find? Mine was in for the same thing- apparently my starter has gone bad and they are ordering me a new one.

yep that is my dear scooter! :o

I dropped off my buddy 125 yesterday and waited for few hours and found out battery was not able charging so the guy ( I forgot his name, he is very nice guy on front desk) told me he think it may be bad voltage regulator , he place the order and take 3 or 5 days . I hope by Friday.
I really don't know what cause it . I am going to find out more when I get my scooter back.
Thank goodness my warranty covered. if you know anything about that electric starter then let me know. There are different reasons for not working with electric starter. Even I tried to use kick start but it went worse after repeat kick start .
basil46

Result

Post by basil46 »

jmazza wrote:Hey Basil- I saw your scooter at Vespa Fort Lauderdale today. Were you getting your electric start issues looked at? What did they find? Mine was in for the same thing- apparently my starter has gone bad and they are ordering me a new one.

I just got a call from the shop that BOB adapter cause the battery drained so bad then BOB adapter have to remove. Now my scooter is working just fine with out BOB adapter
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

I posted in the other thread- I think that if you just get a Battery Tender Jr you could keep the BOB adapter and be fine! It's probably just draining the battery from the short trips.
Hellvis

Post by Hellvis »

yep, just draining the battery. Anyways before troubleshooting anything just hook up the battery to a trickle charger overnight, depending on the charger that is the amount of time for the battery to charge fully.

Once you know you have a fully charged battery and the starter still does not work then you proceed with your troubleshooting, from the power source up.

I got the BOB, stereo system, LEDlights, and I have to connect my trickle charger every 2 weeks, but even if the starter won't start I can kick with no problem, so no worries there. :P
Live long and prosper.
jonbolden

Post by jonbolden »

Been reading this thread because I'm having a similar issue with my buddy. I have to press the starter many times and I usually have give it a little gas before it will stay on. I feel like this is hard on it, but three years of doing this seems to have no effect on it.

I take mostly short rides too. What counts as a "long" ride. Can my dealer charge my battery when it does oil changes and stuff?