Synthetic gearbox oil

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

easy rider

Synthetic gearbox oil

Post by easy rider »

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before but I did a search and could not find the answer. What brand and weight of synthetic gear lube is everyone using as I am having great difficulty finding 85w-140 synthetic. The closest I found was a Valvoline blend. Thanx-Mark
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

ThisDude

Post by ThisDude »

The synthetic valvoline and also walmart brand were about 10 bucks. I bought some mobil 1 and was shocked that it was 20 bucks a quart. I hope it really is that much better.
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

This is what the dealer uses where I had my Buddy serviced:

Bel-Ray MC-1 2-Cycle Synthetic Racing Lubricant is a smokeless premium high Viscosity Index, high molecular weight, fully synthetic ester lubricant specifically formulated for high dilution ratios. For premix in high performance air-cooled or liquid-cooled 2-stroke engines in motorcycles and ATVs under racing conditions, Bel-Ray MC-1 has unsurpassed film strength and load carrying ability for superior anti-wear.

http://www.scootervillemn.com/extras/fl ... 1_oil.html
ThisDude

Post by ThisDude »

That's 2 stroke engine oil, for buddy 50's and weedwackers and stuff. Gearbox oil is oil for our "transmissions".
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

Thank you for explaining the difference.
I wondered about that.

So does BelRay make for four stroke?

I sure hope so because my reciept for my first oil change shows BelRay.

HELP! Is my Buddy125 in trouble?
ThisDude

Post by ThisDude »

Yes they make all sorts of oil and fluids specifically for motorcycles, scooters, and atv's. They even make shock oil for front forks. You probably got their "thumper" engine oil.