Brief handling comparison - my PX150 vs Stella 4T

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

desmolicious

Brief handling comparison - my PX150 vs Stella 4T

Post by desmolicious »

I picked up my PX150 tonight from a shop in North Hills, LA where it had some carb work done.
I rode it back to Venice Beach down Sepulveda Blvd, a city road that then climbs and winds through some hills before a descent into the LA basin.

What was noticeable was that the PX felt more stable and hunkered down than my Stella 4T. The PX has a true 1 piece frame, while the Stella 4T is in 2 pieces.
But I'm thinking it's the tyres that are at play here. The Stella has the Sava white walls, while the PX has Michelin S83s. I'm looking forward to putting new meats on the Stella and seeing what happens.
Pressures are the same in both - 17/30.
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Due to the general consensus about how miserable Savas are, S83s will be fitted this Sat.
Then the Stella will be on even footing as the PX, so to speak, which will make handling comparisons far more relevant.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It'll be interesting to see what you think. What year is your PX?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

ericalm wrote:It'll be interesting to see what you think. What year is your PX?
2005. It has only 1700 miles on it and looks like new.
So I think it will be a pretty fair comparison to my Stella 4T once that has the same tyres put on.
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Got the S83s put on! Felt a bit better but it was very windy today which was blowing everything around. Including the bike. So I'll need to wait for it to mellow before I can see how it really feels.
DirtyRAT

Curious...

Post by DirtyRAT »

I am curious how the tire upgrade on the Stella fared after your initial windy weekend (Just had one in San Diego, as well).

I've considered these http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_page ... -Walls/466 to keep the aesthetics of my Stella using a better rubber compound. Not fond of the stock tires, either.
Image Image
Redcatjack

Post by Redcatjack »

Took me less than a month to decide on tossing the Sava POS tires. Put Heidenau K58's on last week and there was an immediate improvement across the board, especially road feel. Well worth the $110 investment.
desmolicious

Re: Curious...

Post by desmolicious »

DirtyRAT wrote:I am curious how the tire upgrade on the Stella fared after your initial windy weekend (Just had one in San Diego, as well).

I've considered these http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_page ... -Walls/466 to keep the aesthetics of my Stella using a better rubber compound. Not fond of the stock tires, either.
Much better. Holds a line in a corner instead of feeling all squirelly.

About those Continental whitewalls... apparently they are no longer made in Germany, but in Taiwan (?) and now you are paying the German price for Taiwan quality.

I have heard that if you want white walls, the Maxis ones that come standard on the Buddys are ok.

I do really like the way whitewalls look on this bike. But I much prefer a solid feeling ride.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

I had my dealer swap out the Sava whitewalls for Shinko whitewalls before delivering my 4T. Probably not the best, but they feel OK so far.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

desmolicious wrote:
DirtyRAT wrote:I am curious how the tire upgrade on the Stella fared after your initial windy weekend (Just had one in San Diego, as well).

Much better. Holds a line in a corner instead of feeling all squirelly.

About those Continental whitewalls... apparently they are no longer made in Germany, but in Taiwan (?) and now you are paying the German price for Taiwan quality.

I have heard that if you want white walls, the Maxis ones that come standard on the Buddys are ok.

I do really like the way whitewalls look on this bike. But I much prefer a solid feeling ride.
Thanks for the reply! after 250 miles on the new Stella, I get it about how the stock tires feel squirrely. Do you have a URL for the whitewall Maxis tires? I'm likely heading to Marina Del Rey to try on some of those Corrazzo jackets soon, so if those tires are local in L.A., I might pick some up...
Image Image
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

DirtyRAT wrote:[ Do you have a URL for the whitewall Maxis tires? ...
So, have you talked with Scooterwest? They have carried Maxxis in the past and I presume they are one of your local dealers.

www.scooterwest.com
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

DirtyRAT wrote: Thanks for the reply! after 250 miles on the new Stella, I get it about how the stock tires feel squirrely. Do you have a URL for the whitewall Maxis tires? I'm likely heading to Marina Del Rey to try on some of those Corrazzo jackets soon, so if those tires are local in L.A., I might pick some up...
I can't find one.

But your local scooter shop - Motorsport Scooters - should be able to hook you up. I'd give them a call.

As for the Corazzo jackets, I'd call ahead to see if they have what you want. The MDR shop is really nice, but it may save you some aggro.
Last edited by desmolicious on Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Redcatjack wrote: Put Heidenau K58's on last week and there was an immediate improvement across the board, especially road feel. Well worth the $110 investment.
My favorites! Don't forget that tires need to break in!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

From what I think I read elsewhere, the Maxxis whitewalls are no longer available in a 3.5 x 10. Don't know if any of the similar sized tires would fit a Stella, but on the 4T you def. can't go any wider due to rear shock.

I really liked the look of the (Michelin S83) blackwalls on my Stella for some reason. Easy to keep clean, too!
Redcatjack wrote:Took me less than a month to decide on tossing the Sava POS tires. Put Heidenau K58's on last week and there was an immediate improvement across the board, especially road feel. Well worth the $110 investment.
Interested to hear impressions of K58s after a while. I know a number of people who hate them for riding in dry, warm weather. Too hard and rough!

Have I mentioned my love for the Heidenau K61s in this thread yet?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

ericalm wrote:...I really liked the look of the (Michelin S83) blackwalls on my Stella for some reason. Easy to keep clean, too!...
Aaaaaaand I just remembered I have not been cleaning mine. dirty. shucks.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Steady Teddy

Post by Steady Teddy »

Any of you guys tried the Zippy 1s on your Stella or P Series scooters?

http://www.scooterwest.com/item_details ... ippy-1/468

I have them on a couple of my scooters, and they stick great, track true and even feel solid on the freeway for short hops.

Can't beat the price, either.

TC
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Steady Teddy wrote:Any of you guys tried the Zippy 1s on your Stella or P Series scooters?

http://www.scooterwest.com/item_details ... ippy-1/468

I have them on a couple of my scooters, and they stick great, track true and even feel solid on the freeway for short hops.

Can't beat the price, either.

TC
The last Zippy 1s I saw are no longer made in Germany, but Taiwan (I think).
I have been told by people who have used them that they may look like the Zippys of old, but do not handle as well as them.

Anyway, this weekend I rode my PX and Stella 4T back to back. Both now have the same tyres - s83 - same pressures and.... the PX is definitely more solid and stable. Nothing at all wrong with the Stella but it just does not feel as together as the PX.
Guess that is the difference between a monocoque frame, and the duocoque.

Doesn't make a difference to how I feel about the Stella, still diggin' it. And that's what matters.