Stella or PX-150

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

twharton

Stella or PX-150

Post by twharton »

OK I expect to get flamed big time...but hope I don't. For you owners out there, which is better. Other than the price difference, 2 hp, and the weight what is your opinion?

Let me have it.

Thanks in advance...Tom
twharton
Northwest, FL
"Where thousands live the way millions wish they could!"
ellen

Post by ellen »

The fit and finish is nicer on the PX, but the Stella is faster.
Get the Stella and with the money you save, get some really cool chrome! 8)
Dan Buddy

Post by Dan Buddy »

Get the Stella. I am already buttering my wife up to let me get one.
monza

Post by monza »

Stella. It costs a butt-load less money, and has the more modern reed valve induction (vs. the PX150's rotary valve dinosaur). Both are made on the same assembly line at LML, but you will cross the finish line first on a Stella.
-Paul O.
63 VNB "125 Super"
62 Mini Cooper 1100
BlueMark

Which is better?

Post by BlueMark »

Genuine Stella vs. Vespa PX150: A side-by-side comparison and more info here

Stella wins on every count ... period
Last edited by BlueMark on Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
cowgirl helmet

Post by cowgirl helmet »

Hey, BlueMark, who did that comparison? I see it's on the Provoscooter site, but who put it together?
monza

Post by monza »

I have seen that comparison before. I guess the only thing I would dispute is the "heavy gauge body" on the Stella. They are made on the same assembly line by LML, and as far as I know the body stampings are the same. I cant imagine that LML would produce a low volume PX150 with different body parts than the Stella/Star/Bella Donna. Just wouldnt be cost effective...then again, why do they still use the dinosaur rotary valve on the PX150? Vespa works in mysterious ways :wink:
-Paul O.
63 VNB "125 Super"
62 Mini Cooper 1100
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

cowgirl helmet wrote:Hey, BlueMark, who did that comparison? I see it's on the Provoscooter site, but who put it together?
I assume it was done by someone at Provoscooter. The specs listed are mostly available from Genuine and Vespa - although Vespa doesn't seem to publish mileage info.

Doing some Google travels I was able to confirm that LML did make the PX series for Vespa through the years, but I was unable to confirm that the current (new) PX150 from 2005 and on is being made by LML. In fact that seems doubtful since Vespa was making deliveries of new PX's while LML was in shutdown.

I wouldn't be surprised if Vespa's production was shifted to another plant, perhaps in Vietnam. Has anyone with a new PX looked up the country of origin?
twharton

Post by twharton »

Okay I bought one this morning.

I have been looking HARD at the white 05' Stella @ Metro Scooter in Cincinnati for about three weeks.

Price $3195 + Tax

Then just late yesterday (around 11pm last night actually) found a web advertised price (thanks to a tip from the forum) for an OTD price from Vespa Raleigh for a 'new' 05' PX 150, red for $3395!

So I called both this morning to verify and.....the white Stella from Metro was sold leaving only a Pink one and...since I live out of state from N.C. they deduct that states sales tax and I am a proud owner of a Vespa PX 150
OTD Sales Price = $3295.55
twharton
Northwest, FL
"Where thousands live the way millions wish they could!"
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

Stopped by Scoot Around Town in Ypsi today. They were of the opinion that all the PX's sold in the US were Italian made, and even know someone who had seen them on the line in an Italian factory.