Buddy 170i Production Pics

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Buddy 170i Production Pics

Post by ericalm »

Straight from Taiwan! Check it out!

These probably aren't the 170 (blackwall tires) but it's cool to see Buddys being made:

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Very cool, thanks for sharing! Those 170's ae going to be a segment leader.

Looks like they ditched the kickstarter....finally.
easy

Post by easy »

that silver with the black stripe sure looks good
what did you trade the day for?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Kickstarters aren't a good idea on FIs. Someone on MV explained this to me and it made perfect sense; I just can't remember the explanation.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

Beautiful! I'm drooling on my keyboard.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
easy

Post by easy »

i think it would need juice from battery to control and work the fuel injector no fuel no start
what did you trade the day for?
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

easy wrote:that silver with the black stripe sure looks good
I agree. I thought I was going to be all about the British racing green, but that silver/black combo really looks good in the photos, doesn't it?

Thanks for posting these pics, ericalm, it's really exciting to see the new Buddys rolling off the assembly line. I can't wait to ride one! :twisted:
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I seriously need one of those brown/tan seats and matching grips on my Italia.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ericalm wrote:Kickstarters aren't a good idea on FIs. Someone on MV explained this to me and it made perfect sense; I just can't remember the explanation.
As I understand it, the problem is the fuel pump on an FI bike. It has to reach full pressure for the bike to start and run properly. A kick starter really doesn't accomplish that.
Outcold43

Post by Outcold43 »

Looks like some different variations in the front row of the 3rd pic.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I didn't know Frosty went to Taiwan? :P
The majority is always sane - Nessus
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

Outcold43 wrote:Looks like some different variations in the front row of the 3rd pic.
Not sure,are the scoots just behind the gray ones the green ones? I swear they look like black paint with white/gray stripe.

Probably the pic deceiving us huh?

I dont care they are REAL! They are happening! :D
Aerosmith, None Other.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Image Damnit. Please stop. My scooter is in the shop again (bearings!) and I have been dreaming of the Blur 220i but my twins are starting college next year.
I just bought 2 high-end laptops and tuition is gonna be a bitch.
I don't have the money for this but the silver one calls to me!!!!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

I would love the 170I(In silver of course, Im a Raider fan!), but I cant justify the extra 500 bucks or so over the Buddy125 for what I need to do. And Ive always been of the opinion to be sceptical of the first year of a model of vehicle of any type. It may be different with the 170I since they may have been in production in Taiwan for awhile, but I dont know. Still my commute is only on a 45mph posted road, so a Buddy125 makes sense. Thanks for the pics Eric!
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

YAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!! :D
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

YAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!! :D
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

Tocsik wrote:Image Damnit. Please stop. My scooter is in the shop again (bearings!) and I have been dreaming of the Blur 220i but my twins are starting college next year.
TWINS IN COLLEGE :shock: Congrats! As far as the 170I goes....Im sure you can get better deals down the road a bit so be patient.
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Ohhh so sick. When are they going to be able to be purchased in the states?
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

i hope the paint looks a little less flat in person. especially the silver

there, i said it :(

maybe this is "matte" silver or flat metallic? w/e....
Riding is riding
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

ericalm wrote:Kickstarters aren't a good idea on FIs. Someone on MV explained this to me and it made perfect sense; I just can't remember the explanation.
They aren't much use on 4t Vespas or Buddys....more decorative than functional imo.
TVB

Post by TVB »

mattgordon wrote:
They aren't much use on 4t Vespas or Buddys....more decorative than functional imo.
I never would have thought to describe the kickstarter as "decorative".
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Agreed. Since our scooters are automatics, bump starting is not an option so I've had to kick start a scooter because of a weak battery.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Since the FI scoots don't come with a kick starter, does anyone know how you would go about getting a FI scooter started if the battery gets too weak or is that what roadside assistance is for?
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

jasondavis48108 wrote:Since the FI scoots don't come with a kick starter, does anyone know how you would go about getting a FI scooter started if the battery gets too weak or is that what roadside assistance is for?
Jumpstart off a car. Just make sure the car's engine isn't running.
jasondavis48108

jprestonian wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:Since the FI scoots don't come with a kick starter, does anyone know how you would go about getting a FI scooter started if the battery gets too weak or is that what roadside assistance is for?
could you jumpstart off another running scooter? I would imagine you might just kill the other scooters battery but hey, if they have a kickstarter then alls good right :lol:

What I really want to see is little mini jumper cables made just for scooters, that would be hilarious in the same way it is hilarious to see little kids with wing tip dress shoes and bow ties :lol:
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
TVB

Post by TVB »

jasondavis48108 wrote:could you jumpstart off another running scooter? I would imagine you might just kill the other scooters battery but hey, if they have a kickstarter then alls good right :lol:
When you jumpstart off a non-running vehicle (scooter or car), you're effectively just borrowing their battery... but without going to the trouble of taking it out of their vehicle. So you could even jumpstart from another non-running scooter if you wanted to. The danger is that their battery might not have enough juice left after starting yours to start their engine, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Still, a fully-charged Buddy battery should have enough juice in it for more than one start (like you'd do if you stalled just after starting).

On the other hand, if the other scooter is running, you're not drawing the power from its battery at all; you're getting the power from the other scooter's engine. This is just like the recommended procedure for jumping car-to-car, but with less current involved. So unless there's something funky with the electrical system that I don't know about, it should work fine.
jasondavis48108

hey they actually do make little motrobike jumper cables, who knew

http://www.mcpaonline.com/Kwik-Tek-JUMP ... 81&ez=JC-8

I think if I were going to do any extensive riding I would pick up a set like this. They would certainly be nice to have around.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

in the 3rd picture, they look like a strike force all lined up and preparing for an invasion!
Attachments
storm troopers.jpg
storm troopers.jpg (54.2 KiB) Viewed 9619 times
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

TVB wrote:
mattgordon wrote:
I never would have thought to describe the kickstarter as "decorative".
If anyone remembers the tranny cases cracking on the ET-4 and other 4T scooters as a result of trying to use the kickstarters, which were primarily a styling clue harking back to the 2t scooters. It was widely considered a "do not use unless absolutely neccesary" on those scooters, and I consider it the same on the Buddy 4t.

2t is much more "kickstart friendly" than 4t.
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

mattgordon wrote:
Why is that?
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ my guess is because a two stroke "fires" faster or quicker or in 2 less revolutions or something like that?

but its just a guess because i have no idea and it makes half sense to me

am i right, people? and if so, what do i win? :shock: :?:
Riding is riding
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

yeah you have a few issues with kickstarts on fi bikes

first off the fi system needs a good constant voltage and if you have a weak or dead battery you wont have this with kickstarting

also if your battery is weak your fuel pump may not be able to prime the system

and if your battery is dead you may not make engough juice kicking it over to run all the ele stuff needed for the fi system

and thats pure bs that kickstarts are not very 4 stroke freindly
the fly wheel start they used on tractors for ever and a day and what about hand starting the old cars thats all the same as a kick start

the advantage that a 2 stroke has on kickstarting is you can feel when you are on the comprsion stroke to kick it over easire then you can on a 4 stroke
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

^ that whole compression stroke thing? is that why when i have attempted to kick start my scooter it just seems vague? its a 4 stroke. doesn't seem close to anything even happening. doesn't make much sound. no grunts or anything
Riding is riding
GrittyTacoman

Post by GrittyTacoman »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:in the 3rd picture, they look like a strike force all lined up and preparing for an invasion!
I had the same thought! Looks like they're ready to start kickin' butt and taking names. On second thought, forget the names.

Excited to hear the reports back on what they're like to ride.
rv-rick

Post by rv-rick »

Funny thing. I was just on ADvrider and one guy was talking about using the 12 volt battery from his cordless drill with a pair of small wires to add enough juice to start his bike.
We're talking 200-250 cc bikes; not hogs.
mattgordon

Post by mattgordon »

Mulliganal wrote:
mattgordon wrote:
Why is that?
Because your kicking much more machinery (moving parts) and at half the opportunity for fire....its more work, and "half" lthe possible ignition cycles.

Go on Modern Vespa, search "ET-4 kick start" and enjoy the posts.
Heres a quote from MB's own admin on the very subject:

"Now I've actually removed the kickstart lever and keep it stored in my pet carrier. That's how useless it is. With a Battery Tender hookup, I have no need for it as I can easily jump start the scoot. Except last time I needed to—the battery was too far gone. Pfeh."

I'm not saying it cant be done, Im saying neither you, nor your 4t scooter will tolerate a regular diet of kick-starting. It's a retro styling cue with very limited real world functionality.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

jasondavis48108 wrote:
jprestonian wrote:
could you jumpstart off another running scooter? I would imagine you might just kill the other scooters battery but hey, if they have a kickstarter then alls good right :lol:

What I really want to see is little mini jumper cables made just for scooters, that would be hilarious in the same way it is hilarious to see little kids with wing tip dress shoes and bow ties :lol:
Yes you can. We've jumpstarted my husband's Fly 150 off of my Buddy 125 in the past. I just gave the Buddy some gas when he turned the key to deliver a little more juice.
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Tocsik wrote:Image Damnit. Please stop. My scooter is in the shop again (bearings!) and I have been dreaming of the Blur 220i but my twins are starting college next year.
Which on of your 3 scooters nee bearings! Not the 08 Buddy I hope?

As far as the new 170i as a mechanic and engineer I recommend taking advantage of the Buddy 150 clearance sales going on becasue while ideally the FI model should be superior in overall performance, low maintenance, and cold starts, the first year model could see some some issues since this is not a Japanese production product where research and development removes 99% of all bugs. I would wait till after the 1st year production and recalls.
TVB

Post by TVB »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:in the 3rd picture, they look like a strike force all lined up and preparing for an invasion!
It's the plastic armor. :)
350kmi

Post by 350kmi »

I was thinking about 'first model year' issues with the FI Buddies as well, but I seem to recall reading that PGO has been selling Buddies (by other names) with FI for a couple years in other world markets. I wonder if the US market fuel injection system is different enough from systems already in use that there would be many bugs to work out. Also, the US Blur has been using FI for a year already.
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

350kmi wrote:I was thinking about 'first model year' issues with the FI Buddies as well, but I seem to recall reading that PGO has been selling Buddies (by other names) with FI for a couple years in other world markets. I wonder if the US market fuel injection system is different enough from systems already in use that there would be many bugs to work out. Also, the US Blur has been using FI for a year already.
I'm confident with these new FI Buddies,it's not like PGO just started out down this road for the first time.Also when I think of "new model year" I'm thinking of an entirely new unit never offered to the public before.The 170 Buddy is what 90-95% unchanged from the 125 & 150's.In this case were looking at an established model with some mods,certainly not a new model year as commonly understood.
Aerosmith, None Other.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

CWO4GUNNER wrote:As far as the new 170i as a mechanic and engineer I recommend taking advantage of the Buddy 150 clearance sales going on becasue while ideally the FI model should be superior in overall performance, low maintenance, and cold starts, the first year model could see some some issues since this is not a Japanese production product where research and development removes 99% of all bugs. I would wait till after the 1st year production and recalls.
I wouldn't worry too much about "first year model" from PGO. The U.S. is pretty low in the scooter food chain because we're at least 10 years behind the rest of the world when it comes to scooters. I'm sure PGO has been selling fuel injected scooters for a while in other parts of the world.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

CWO4GUNNER wrote:
Which on of your 3 scooters nee bearings! Not the 08 Buddy I hope?

As far as the new 170i as a mechanic and engineer I recommend taking advantage of the Buddy 150 clearance sales going on becasue while ideally the FI model should be superior in overall performance, low maintenance, and cold starts, the first year model could see some some issues since this is not a Japanese production product where research and development removes 99% of all bugs. I would wait till after the 1st year production and recalls.
I believe I covered that earlier
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

mattgordon wrote:Looks like they ditched the kickstarter....finally.
You know you can take yours off easily, if you don't like the way it looks. Mine's off right now but it has saved my butt a couple times in the past when the battery was dead.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

babblefish wrote:
CWO4GUNNER wrote:As far as the new 170i as a mechanic and engineer I recommend taking advantage of the Buddy 150 clearance sales going on becasue while ideally the FI model should be superior in overall performance, low maintenance, and cold starts, the first year model could see some some issues since this is not a Japanese production product where research and development removes 99% of all bugs. I would wait till after the 1st year production and recalls.
I wouldn't worry too much about "first year model" from PGO. The U.S. is pretty low in the scooter food chain because we're at least 10 years behind the rest of the world when it comes to scooters. I'm sure PGO has been selling fuel injected scooters for a while in other parts of the world.
This isn't a first year model in this sense. PGO has been making essentially the same (but different displacement) FI scooters for several years now.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I love the silver with black racing stripes. It looks very retro 1980s, almost like a Transformer.

Also: I really doubt they've done away with the kickstart. They are shipped with the lever unattached so it doesn't snap off in transit. That's one of the things dealers do when prepping a new scooter. The spot where the lever goes is visible in the photos.
ModBud #442