4T will go about .4miles with fuel tap on "Off"..

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

desmolicious

4T will go about .4miles with fuel tap on "Off"..

Post by desmolicious »

Yeah, knucklehead move..
Filled up, flipped the fuel tap from reserve to Off by mistake, rode off, wondered why I was 'broken down' by the side of the road about .4 miles later...

:oops: :oops:

At least it only took me about 5 seconds to figure it out!
:lol:
Redcatjack

Post by Redcatjack »

Be careful, that is not a consistent distance. The other day, mine only went about .1 before it began to stall. Executed the well practiced, flip the tap in flight maneuver and it was off to the races!
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Heh... I forgot to turn my tap on the other day, and it ran dry while I was putting on my helmet and gloves. Didn't even get a chance to get it off the stand!
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
devojones

Post by devojones »

Silver Streak wrote:Heh... I forgot to turn my tap on the other day, and it ran dry while I was putting on my helmet and gloves. Didn't even get a chance to get it off the stand!
That's... less embarssing...

I've done it too! :oops: :cry:
All right for you
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

So, not just me then..

DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

I must admit to joining the 'dumbass forgot to flip the fuel switch on', as well.

Was leaving Vespa Motorsport, and three blocks later engine dies...reach down, flip the fuel switch on, and keep on going.

:oops:
Image Image
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

DirtyRAT wrote:I must admit to joining the 'dumbass forgot to flip the fuel switch on', as well.

Was leaving Vespa Motorsport, and three blocks later engine dies...reach down, flip the fuel switch on, and keep on going.

:oops:
you went with snot goblin! I was hoping you would! I really liked it! :lol:
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Silver Streak wrote:Heh... I forgot to turn my tap on the other day, and it ran dry while I was putting on my helmet and gloves. Didn't even get a chance to get it off the stand!
I also find out if I turned off the tap before I leave.

Related to this, were you other scooterists told to keep the 4T on idle for a while before you start it? my dealer said he was told to tell me to let it idle for 10 minutes before the 1st ride or every day...
that's a long time. and it'll burn gas just sitting there and the gas milage will be off and everything.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Lovelandstella wrote:
I also find out if I turned off the tap before I leave.

Related to this, were you other scooterists told to keep the 4T on idle for a while before you start it? my dealer said he was told to tell me to let it idle for 10 minutes before the 1st ride or every day...
that's a long time. and it'll burn gas just sitting there and the gas milage will be off and everything.
10 minutes is way too long for an a/c motor.
I find that the first start of the day does require several minutes idle before the motor responds to the throttle properly.
I can tell when she's ready to go by the fact that the idle speed revs pick up as she warms up. I only use the choke to start from stone cold, and then immediately turn the choke off.
I still take it easy while riding until the bike is properly warm. The way to tell is to blip the throttle. When warm it responds instantly, when not so warm it hesitates.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

desmolicious wrote:So, not just me then..

Aww it haappens to everyone!

The almost worse for me was at the vintage motorcycle show in Dania. They had field games including a cone weave. It came down to me and one other guy in a series of about four "weave offs"

I was riding my 67 GT and I am just in the habit of always flipping to off when I hit the kill switch.

You guessed it.....on one "weave off" runs I forgot to turn back to on! I made ith through the cones and just back to the start line when I ran out!

He was a better rider than I am....but I was running 10-inch wheels :D

They finally called it a tie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM-Wkd0FY1A
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

Lovelandstella wrote: you went with snot goblin! I was hoping you would! I really liked it! :lol:
Yup..had to do it! Decision announced here:

viewtopic.php?p=230648&highlight=#230648

Too many 'cute' names made me think twice. Something gross, but fun would sum up my scooter, which can be gross and fun. Just like Stimpy's Nose Goblins!

I can look at my scoot and say aloud, "OH joy, Ren! Look: Snotgoblins to play with your pet fart, Stinky!"
Image Image
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I've done this a couple of times. I usually leave my tap on for short stops, but the wiseacres at my dealer once switched it off when I wasn't looking. Took off for a group ride, stalled, started again, stalled, then… nada. Duh.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…