4t Stella sticky handgrips

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

thatisnotafrog

4t Stella sticky handgrips

Post by thatisnotafrog »

So the handgrips on my Stella are getting really grossly sticky, worse as time goes on and they are exposed to sunlight. The bottom (shaded) part of the grips is not sticky. Anybody else having this issue?
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Yes... my shift side.. got (past tense) loose in the sunlight...
I pulled it off... found that the paint was peeling off the bar..
I took paint remover on a rag & cleaned the bare bar off completely, then used alcohol prep to clean it good...
Cleaned out the paint chips from inside the grip as best as I can..
Then used hair spray on the bar & inside the grip...
slid it back on & let it dry..
Now is tight.. even in the sun...
I have no probs with the throttle side..
Good luck..

jh
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

I replaced mine with black ones for a Vespa P/PX. Looks much nicer, feels nicer.
The brown ones IMO are a weird, cheap, jelly-ish look.
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

My brown handlebar grips are as disgusting as a Tijuana toilet, which is one of the reasons I wear gloves. And yes, they are getting worse in feel/texture/jellyfishness as time goes on. I have tried cleaning them with various agents, mostly very mild ones, but am truely giving up hope.

I loathe them, and am searching for other brown grips, just to keep the brown seat/grips thing consistent.
Last edited by DirtyRAT on Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Do the Buddy grips fit the Stella? If so, Genuine has a nice looking set of brown ones.

http://www.scooterworks.com/Buddy_Grip_ ... 2C545.aspx
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Ooops. Sorry I mis-read the first post..
mine just came loose.. I don't have a problem with" the feel"... good luck... jh
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

DirtyRAT wrote:I loathe them, and am searching for other brown grips, just to keep the brown seat/grips thing consistent.
IMO the black grips look better cuz they match the black on the switchgear housing. Which is much closer to the grips than the seat...
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

desmolicious wrote:
DirtyRAT wrote:I loathe them, and am searching for other brown grips, just to keep the brown seat/grips thing consistent.
IMO the black grips look better cuz they match the black on the switchgear housing. Which is much closer to the grips than the seat...
Good point. Do you have a photo of your current Stella with black grips and perhaps black tires? I am growing to hate the stock Stella tires...
Image Image
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

I got rid of the Savas before I even took delivery. Had the dealer put on Shinko whitewalls during dealer prep. Don't have anything to compare them to, but they seem fine.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

DirtyRAT wrote:
desmolicious wrote:
Good point. Do you have a photo of your current Stella with black grips and perhaps black tires? I am growing to hate the stock Stella tires...
Here's what I have right now. They were taken for a photo tag game so not great shots of the bike itself. But it should help. I'll take more this w/e as I have also stickered up the bike a bit..

thatisnotafrog

Post by thatisnotafrog »

Nice looking ride! Where did you get those decals?

Also, can you link me up to where you bought those grips?

Here is a photo of my stickiest grip:

So gross. Its as sticky as it looks. I called Genuine today and they said it was not covered under warranty as it is considered "sun damage".
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Gawd, it looks like they used dead frogs to make that grip.
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

That does.look horrible. I hope mine don't do that
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

thatisnotafrog wrote: So gross. Its as sticky as it looks. I called Genuine today and they said it was not covered under warranty as it is considered "sun damage".
Sun damage in under 2 months is not warranty covered?!
The inside glass of my instrument panel has dozens of greasy fingerprints on it. Can't clean it off as it is in the inside - from when it was built.

Not warranty covered either.

Decals from carstickers.com

Vespa grips from scooterwest.com:

http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_page ... s-PAIR/302

Cut off the old ones, slip on the new ones with soapy water. Done.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Yuck, that's disgusting! Mine haven't gotten sticky yet, but I've noticed they are turning from brown to that pukey color.

I've noticed that the rubber on the stand boots is starting to crack a little, too. When I change the boots, I may circumcise the ends of the stand tubing just a little while I have them off. The stand seems higher and more difficult than really necessary.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
thatisnotafrog

Post by thatisnotafrog »

Yeah, NO type of sun damage is covered, from any time period.

For reference, we live in North Carolina, and its been a hot and sunny spring- but we've only had the bikes for about three months.

Desmolicious, thanks for the links.
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

Thanks for the links/photos, Desmo.

I found these tan grips to replace the made-from-frogs grips on a stock Stella:

http://www.scootermercato.com/Scooter-P ... 100038M000

Now, to find out if they can be purchased...heh
Image Image
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Great find, Rat!
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

Redcatjack

Another One....

Post by Redcatjack »

I've got the sticky grips too. Tried to counteract with silicon spray, but the reduction in "stickiness" was short lived. Black grips going on later this week. I agree with sentiment that they match the other existing rubber better than the seat.

Not surprised on the warranty front. Future buyers should be warned - always park in the shade or the garage, else you'll need to replace the grips, and soon (3 months for me).

Thing is, seems like a safety issue with hands sticking and taking extra effort to pull fingers from the grip to brake and clutch.
thatisnotafrog

Post by thatisnotafrog »

Agreed re: the safety issue. What a stupid problem for the Stella's to have- and a cheapo response to not cover under warranty. This isn't sun damage, its poor materials choice on the part of the manufacturer.

Waiting for my grips to arrive.
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

thatisnotafrog wrote: This isn't sun damage, its poor materials choice on the part of the manufacturer.
Hmm. I'm comparing the rubber bits on my 6 year old PX150 and they look much better than the stuff on my brand new Stella.
Hope this does not bode poorly for future issues..
thatisnotafrog

Post by thatisnotafrog »

A few years back we had a 2T Stella that lived outside in central FL- baking sun and drenching storms followed by more baking sun, every day. Had it for two years, only issue we ever had was that the idle jet got clogged once. No problems with paint, trim, grips. Only got rid of it because we moved. From what I can tell the 4T grips are completely different than the 2T, but most of the rest is basically the same or exactly the same. Hopefully the grips are the only issue like this. I wouldn't have bought a 4T (well, two of 'em!) if the 2T wasn't so good to us before.
scooterjon
Banned

Post by scooterjon »

That grip looks like a used dildo, nasty :lol: sorry had to go there.
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

DirtyRAT wrote:Thanks for the links/photos, Desmo.

This place is only a few miles from me here in Georgia and those are good looking grips. Do you know for sure that they'll if a Stella?
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Mulliganal wrote:
DirtyRAT wrote:Thanks for the links/photos, Desmo.

This place is only a few miles from me here in Georgia and those are good looking grips. Do you know for sure that they'll if a Stella?
I just got a pair delivered today, and put them on about an hour ago. The left grip goes on easily. However, the right grip has a slightly smaller internal diameter (apparently the throttle tube on a P is smaller than the gearshift tube). I got it on, but it required a lot of cussin' and fussin'. The grips are quite soft and stretchable, but some lube and much massaging is required to get it on the whole way. I managed to get a big blister on my thumb in the process.

They do look 100% better than the sun-damaged, pus-colored Genuine grips, though.

If I had to do it again, I might have ordered two pairs and installed two left grips.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Here is a pic showing the two sun-damaged Stella grips I removed on the left, and one of the new tan Vespa P grips on the right. This is the amount of degradation I got in three months with the scooter being covered maybe 80% of the time. You can see on the middle grip (from the throttle side) the difference between the top which was directly exposed vs. the bottom which was mostly shaded.

You can see that the Vespa grip on the right has the slightly smaller bore size for the throttle side that I mentioned in my previous post.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

scooterjon
Banned

Post by scooterjon »

Here is a secret about getting grips on. Use hair spray to lube the grip and bar and a air compressor nozzle. When the hairspray dries it acts like an adhesive. WD40 takes forever to get out and it causes the grip to slip.

Jon
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

scooterjon wrote:Here is a secret about getting grips on. Use hair spray to lube the grip and bar and a air compressor nozzle. When the hairspray dries it acts like an adhesive. WD40 takes forever to get out and it causes the grip to slip.

Jon
I just used some soapy water and they slid right on.
Dried out by next morning, have not budged.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I am guessing that the maker of the hand grips had a batch that someone forgot to add the uv inhibitor into the mix.

uv inhibitor can be an expensive additive & sometimes manufacturers of plastic products dont use enough or any
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Silver Streak wrote:Here is a pic showing the two sun-damaged Stella grips I removed on the left, and one of the new tan Vespa P grips on the right. This is the amount of degradation I got in three months with the scooter being covered maybe 80% of the time.
Did these all start out the same color?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

ericalm wrote:
Silver Streak wrote:Here is a pic showing the two sun-damaged Stella grips I removed on the left, and one of the new tan Vespa P grips on the right. This is the amount of degradation I got in three months with the scooter being covered maybe 80% of the time.
Did these all start out the same color?
No.

You can see the original color of the Genuine grips on the inside and on the shaded half of the center grip. The Vespa grip is new, and its tan color is slightly different from the Genuine new color.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

I spoke to Steve in parts dept at Vespa Motorsport today: he confirms ordering two sets to account for the different grip diameters is the way to go.

He contacted the vendor at my original URL I posted to have a bunch purchased for the shop, and they didnt return his emails.

Looks like direct order is the way to go, or use Buddy Tan grips.
Image Image
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 0594056161

Im gonna try a pair of these.. I think.
J H
[URL=https:///]Image[/URL] upload pics
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

jimmbomb wrote:http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 0594056161

Im gonna try a pair of these.. I think.
I don't understand how rigid grips like these could fit both the P-series and the Stella, if the tube diameters are different on the clutch and throttle sides are different on the Vespa. I guess they could default to the larger diameter on both sides and use setscrews to hold them in place, but I'd think that would make them fit eccentrically on the Vespa's throttle side.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Sorry... here is a better link..
http://cgi.ebay.com/LML-STAR-150-4-STRO ... 3052222597

Now it doesnt state on these particular grips, but I have read some of their other grips..
and they come in 22mm & 24mm in one pair..
Both diameters are included.. 22 for the clutch & 24 for the throttle... 1 each
Im hoping anyways...
Ill let ya's know when they come in..
J H
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

jimmbomb wrote:Ill let ya's know when they come in..
Those are good looking. What did the shipping run ya'.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Mulliganal wrote:
jimmbomb wrote:Ill let ya's know when they come in..
Those are good looking. What did the shipping run y
a'.
6.7£ to St Louis
J H
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Sorry for taking so long to follow up..
These grips are a dark brown and NOT tan like the pics depicted. I put them on anyways. They fit good except the throttle. side needed a strip if double stick foam tape as it was a tad loose...
good luck
J H
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

I keep meaning to phone ScooterMercado to find out if they still stock the brown Piaggio grips seen earlier in this thread. Perhaps they're online on Saturday... :roll:
Image Image
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Does anyone know the grip sizes on the Stella 4T?
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Anyone know if Ergon grips would fit on a Stella? I have these on my mountain bike and I like them a lot.

desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Mulliganal wrote:Anyone know if Ergon grips would fit on a Stella? I have these on my mountain bike and I like them a lot.

take them off your mountain bike and see.
Tom

Post by Tom »

I dig those, would look pretty cool if they work.

I have made the switch to the black ones. They seem to have a little extra room at the end (made for longer bars?) but just barely. I like them, and they work great. I didn't order two sizes, and I didn't have any trouble putting them on. I wonder if I just got lucky or if they knew what I would need since my scooter make and model were selected prior to ordering? At any rate, they work great!
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

desmolicious wrote:
Mulliganal wrote:Anyone know if Ergon grips would fit on a Stella? I have these on my mountain bike and I like them a lot.
Then I'd have to cut the grips off my Stella to see if they'd fit; if they didn't fit I'd be SOL.
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Mulliganal wrote:
desmolicious wrote:
Then I'd have to cut the grips off my Stella to see if they'd fit; if they didn't fit I'd be SOL.
Not really. Anything you replace those nasty pale brown translucent gummy things would be an improvement.
And the black PX Vespa ones fit perfectly, and go on really easily.
Lovelandstella

Re: Another One....

Post by Lovelandstella »

Redcatjack wrote:...Thing is, seems like a safety issue with hands sticking and taking extra effort to pull fingers from the grip to brake and clutch.
exactly right- it IS a safety issue.
Mine lasted a lot longer than most (6 months?) but now mine are dangerous. I practically have to rip my hand off before applying the brakes. not exactly good in quick response situations.

If yours are not this bad yet they will be. we should probably all look into where to get replacement grips.
p.s.
genuine has got to hear about this soon from the dealers. all the 4t's out in the sun being looked at are going to get the very same issue and be much harder to sell.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

desmolicious wrote:
thatisnotafrog wrote: So gross. Its as sticky as it looks. I called Genuine today and they said it was not covered under warranty as it is considered "sun damage".
Sun damage in under 2 months is not warranty covered?!
The inside glass of my instrument panel has dozens of greasy fingerprints on it. Can't clean it off as it is in the inside - from when it was built.

Not warranty covered either.

Vespa grips from scooterwest.com:

http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_page ... s-PAIR/302

Cut off the old ones, slip on the new ones with soapy water. Done.
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Now these are kinda' cool, I may get a set of these for my Stella.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56899650@N06/5256419229/
legalgooner

Post by legalgooner »

Just got my grips replaced with first service. I got these installed now.
http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_page ... -Caps/2794

While they are not brown, I dig the look on the creme so far. I'll take pics and post once I get a chance.
monkeykat

Post by monkeykat »

Mulliganal wrote:Now these are kinda' cool, I may get a set of these for my Stella.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56899650@N06/5256419229/
Milliganal, I can't wait to see pics of your scooter--it seems it'll be super accoutred!