New Stella + lurker = New Member!

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

legalgooner

New Stella + lurker = New Member!

Post by legalgooner »

Hi all,

After years of lurking and wanting a P series scoot, I picked up a brand new Stella today. I caught the scooter bug in Greece and came back years ago looking to pick one up. Life got in the way, but I finally got to get back on a scoot and ride around San Diego today.

The guys at Motorsport in San Diego were awesome and took me through an entire tutorial and setup with the bike. After the setup, the service guys did a quick once over and I was ready to go. Pull out of the lot and everything is great until I get about 6 blocks away and the engine dies. I go through all of the steps that I just learned and still no kick. I then embarrassingly realize that the fuel switch was moved to the "off" position and thus the engine was not getting any gas. Sure enough, she starts up and I am back on my way to work.

So I will be busy reading up on these forums as I need to learn more about my Stella. Wanted to introduce myself and share a pic.

Thanks! Tim
Attachments
mystella.jpg
mystella.jpg (133.33 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
Steady Teddy

Post by Steady Teddy »

Hey Tim...

I bet you will never forget to check the fuel valve before ya take off on a ride again! A common error made by 90% of new owners. Glad ya made it back to work safely, and that ya got it home safe and sound. See ya soon and thank you again for your purchase... we all appreciate it!

TC
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Congrats!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

ooohhh... shiny! Congratulations!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Nice ride and welcome to MB!

As far as the fuel tap, don't feel bad...it happens to EVERYONE!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
jimmbomb

Post by jimmbomb »

Welcome to forum,Tim.Nice color choice too.. I chose the same color. Sharp looking scooter you got there!

Jh
Mulliganal

Post by Mulliganal »

Damn, yet another creme Stella purchase as I still wait for mine. :cry:

:lol: Enjoy her, she is beautiful.
".....Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us......"
Redcatjack

Post by Redcatjack »

Welcome to MB! Another fan of the Creme, loving mine.
BuddyRaton wrote: As far as the fuel tap, don't feel bad...it happens to EVERYONE!
...and to some of us, sorta regularly...

Have fun and ride safe.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Great lookin' scoot! Ride safe, have fun. 8)
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

Welcome! This is a cool forum, with many great people.

I too was P-series wanna-be (having owned two in college), and picked up an avocado green Stella two months ago, so I get it.

I made the same mistake with the fuel switch, too. heheh

When you are ready to get rid of those white stickers on the glovebox/legsheild, send me a PM: I have some paint-safe 3M automotive sticker remover, which seems to be the only thing that gets those off.

Some of us on www.modernvespa.com are having a scooter tag game, which would also be a fun way to break in your new stella:

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic14824

Come join the fun

8)
Image Image
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

Redcatjack wrote:
BuddyRaton wrote: As far as the fuel tap, don't feel bad...it happens to EVERYONE!
...and to some of us, sorta regularly...
Just did it on my PX. Picked up some gorceries, made it out of the parking lot before it quit...

:oops:

(already did this on my Stella..)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I have yet to master the smooth move of switching to reserve and reviving the scooter without stopping.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Me either. With my old-man lack of flexibility and short arms, I can't even reach the tap while riding.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

ericalm wrote:I have yet to master the smooth move of switching to reserve and reviving the scooter without stopping.
I'm not even gonna try! Pull over and do it safely.
Even then if I'm sitting on the bike I smack my helmet on the mirror if I'm not careful!

What IS nice about this is if someone snaked yer ride, and was not familiar with the bike, they'd only get about a block away before it shuts off. So think of the fuel tap as a secondary anti-theft feature!

Hmm, a locking fuel tap would be sweet...
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

ericalm wrote:I have yet to master the smooth move of switching to reserve and reviving the scooter without stopping.
Done the move several times.

Tricky, much luck involved, including fast reflexes when the subtle "oh noes, engine is stalling" sounds from the scoot emerge.

I've pulled over more than been a revival rock star
Image Image
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

DirtyRAT wrote:
Done the move several times.

Tricky, much luck involved, including fast reflexes when the subtle "oh noes, engine is stalling" sounds from the scoot emerge.

I've pulled over more than been a revival rock star
Funny.. I never had a problem on my Stella. Then again, I have freakishly long Orangutan arms so that may have something to do with it.