Cost of ownership

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scootoverbuddy

Cost of ownership

Post by scootoverbuddy »

I have been considering the idea of buying a scooter since the last time gas prices topped $4 a gallon, and now that they are above $3.50 again, I am reexamining the idea.

The Genuine Blur SS 220i (hereafter referred to as "the Blur") looks to be the best combination of power, cost, and reliability that I can find at the current time.

My questions regard the cost of the Blur: First, what is the out-the-door cost to purchase a new Blur (preferably in white)? Second, how much does it cost to maintain the Blur over time? (Obviously the answer to this question is quite variable, so let me introduce a few additional facts which may enable my question to be answered more accurately.)

If I purchase the Blur, it will be driven around 400 - 500 miles a month for 5 - 7 months out of the year. This translates to 2,000 - 3,500 miles a year. How often must the Blur be serviced? (I am aware of the first 500 mile service which is required.) How often should the oil be changed and what is the approximate cost of doing so? How long do the tires last? (I will be doing primarily in-town driving at 35 - 45 actual [not indicated] mph.) What other periodic maintenance is required and at what cost? How much does insurance generally cost?

My goal in obtaining a scooter is not entirely economics, (I would enjoy riding the scooter as well) but I must be able to justify the purchase financially. My current vehicle is quite inefficient (12 mpg) so I have a greater justification than some, but I must have a fairly accurate understanding of how much money will be required to maintain the scooter over a five year period in which I will ride it between 10,000 and 15,000 miles.

Any information which will assist me in making this decision is very much appreciated.
blurblaine

Post by blurblaine »

good idea and good questions. a bunch depends on whether you'll pay for fluid changes or prefer the DIY route. I've done all the fluids myself over the years after the 1st service. I have 10,000 BDUs (Blur Distance Units = way bigger than kilomenters but a bit smaller than miles) on my orange 2006 Blur 150. I've had the rollers changed by the dealer and a new rear tire (just last month). My original front tire still has decent tread and the original brakes won't get changed until next year. When the rollers were done I know they checked and adjusted the CVT belt. The rear tire is a hassle to remove, so that was $130. Can't remember about the rollers + labor as it was 2 years ago ... but I think it was about $100 (this is a guess, so don't flame me if I'm way off ... just help this guy with a real figure if this is inaccurate). Oil, filters, drive fluid = all cheap stuff. I try to do the fluids every 2,000 BDU's, so that is $35 tops with synthetic oil. If you do this yourself, be super cautious retightening the drive fluid drain plug as I heard that many have stripped them out by overtightening. I've also changed the air filter a few times and don't remember that cost either, but it isn't crazy high at all. Bottom line, gas and go is the normal protocol ... these scooters are rock solid and don't nickle and dime you at all. Of course, if you start modding it you'll spend more, but compared to a car, this is the way to go, my friend. Happy scootering!

Over 15,000 miles, if you DIY the fluids and filters, I estimate you'll spend about $800 + fuel. Figuring you'll replace rear tire 2x, front tire 1x, brakes 1x, rollers 2x, and CVT belt. (I've had mine 5 years, but not that much mileage, so I've only spent about $425)

What do the rest of you think ... am I in the ballpark?
Blaine

The 'Nati
Blur 150
Sym RV250
http://www.blainekelley.com/scooters.html

orange is good ... except in the NFL!
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

You will save money every time you ride a scooter instead of driving a car.

But

No matter how much you ride, you will have some costs that won't change - buying the scooter, buying the car, insurance for both, license and registration. And don't forget you will be buying a fair amount of riding gear for the scooter - helmet, gloves, jacket etc. - take that into account.

You would have to do a lot of scooter riding instead of caging to recoup the cost of the scooter if you keep the cage too. And worse, you will find that you make a lot of detours on the scooters. I can't tell you how many times a 7 mile home commute turned into a 50 mile detour on a nice day.

You will extend the life of your car/truck/suv/hovercraft by reducing its annual mileage, and will see a corresponding reduction in maintenance, repair costs and of course a major reduction in fuel costs. Will that cover the cost of scootering? Almost certainly not, especially if you find you like riding the scooter - and the Blur is buckets full of fun to ride. It would be cheaper to get a scooter you hate to ride (eliminate those detours), but still substitute it for the cage whenever possible.

You can't really justify getting a scooter purely on commuter savings, unless you get rid of the cage altogether.

But ...

You'll be burning a lot less gas and depriving our Saudi friends of income. You'll be having a lot more fun. The neighbor kids will envy you (it may look like laughter - but it is envy), and women will desire you. But mostly you will be enjoying yourself instead of just traveling from point A to point B.

Test ride a Blur. That will decide if it is worth it.
killbilly

Post by killbilly »

BlueMark wrote: The neighbor kids will envy you (it may look like laughter - but it is envy), and women will desire you. But mostly you will be enjoying yourself instead of just traveling from point A to point B.

Test ride a Blur. That will decide if it is worth it.
This last part is subjective. But the rest is pretty true. :D
scootoverbuddy

Post by scootoverbuddy »

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the information.