Oil Filter?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

NoogaScooter

Oil Filter?

Post by NoogaScooter »

Probably a stupid question...but, ya gotta ask.

Took my Blur in for the 500 service. I asked the dealer about buying another oil filter so that next time I could change it. I was told it didn't have a filter, just a small metal screen. No need to change, just clean.

Is this correct?

I've noticed the Blur tops out at 60 indicated going up a nice incline.....does much better with gravity on my side. I'm about 180...so it's not a HUGE Load. I'm almost believing our Buddy 125 is quicker and faster than the Blur.

I'll go check the manual now that I've read some of the posts about "slower speed" and see about the filter being changed.

Thanks,
NS
ScooterN2

Post by ScooterN2 »

Are you from Salt Lake City? I had the same experience at the local dealer. I was told by 3 people that a filter did not exist and that there was only the screen that needed to be cleaned. In fact, the service manager hung up on me when I was insistent that a filter did exist. In fact they said that they were servicing the scoots with not changing filters. I called Genuine (through ScooterWorks) to complain. After a few call, I did get my filters (no apology). Still not pleased.

But THERE IS A FILTER!!!!
ScooterN2

Post by ScooterN2 »

Are you from Salt Lake City? I had the same experience at the local dealer. I was told by 3 people that a filter did not exist and that there was only the screen that needed to be cleaned. In fact, the service manager hung up on me when I was insistent that a filter did exist. In fact they said that they were servicing the scoots with not changing filters. I called Genuine (through ScooterWorks) to complain. After a few call, I did get my filters (no apology). Still not pleased.

But THERE IS A FILTER!!!!
NoogaScooter

Post by NoogaScooter »

ScooterN2,

Thanks for the reply. Just emailed Brett at Genuine to get their "final answer". I guess if the Blur truly does have a filter, I'll be a little pissed. Dealers should know this. No excuses.

I'll eagerly wait Genuine's reply.

Later,
NS
bs318is11

Post by bs318is11 »

the 2006 model has the metal screen filter and an oil filter. The 2007 just has the metal screen filter that can just be cleaned. Anyway, the whole top speed issue. I have had my blur doing an indicated 82 on the highway and i am 5'10" and weigh 197 pounds. Alot of people have had slower speeds after there first oil change do to an excess amount of oil.
BlueMark

Post by BlueMark »

bs318is11 wrote:the 2006 model has the metal screen filter and an oil filter. The 2007 just has the metal screen filter that can just be cleaned. Anyway, the whole top speed issue.
That doesn't sound right to me.

The oil filter is not on the engine, it is attached to the oil cooler unit behind the front wheel.
NoogaScooter

Post by NoogaScooter »

Official word from Brett at Genuine is that the 2007 BLUR DOES have an oil filter. Same one used in the Buddy.

I ordered 2 from scooterworks and will install as soon as I get it. Just glad I did some research (thanks to the forum) and found this out. I would have killed the Blur running it without changing the filter.

Notified my dealer of this fact today. Will make notes also to cover my arse in case of any warranty issues.

Now just have to figure out where the filter is and how much of a pain it will be to change.

Thanks for your help.

NS
NoogaScooter

Post by NoogaScooter »

Yep, the filter is in plain sight behind the grill which sits directly behind the front wheel.

Awaiting the filter, and looks like I'll do the oil changes from now on.

Later,
NS
whattheheck

Post by whattheheck »

Funny, I went to a dealer to buy a filter for a 2006 Buddy recently and was told by the tech is was just a screen. I told them this site showed explicit directions and while they did not disagree with me, they still could not find a filter to work - which makes me wonder if they change them when doing a service? How crazy is it that a service center/dealer does not know anything about what they sell/service! Especially a year and a half after carrying the scooter line.
BlueMark

Blur oil filters

Post by BlueMark »

Reposted from another thread:

All PGO's use the same oil filter (or so I've been told), it is also compatible with the filter used for the Vespa ET4 150, GT200, LX150 and GTS250. You can order the Genuine filter through your dealer, or find the Vespa version at most scooter shops or online (Scooterworks or ScooterWest being two choices).

I'm told the Genuine filter can be screwed on and off using a 21mm socket. The Vespa aftermarket version has an odd head that requires a special tool or screwdriver shank to turn - but in the Blur you don't need to worry about that because we can just use a small strap wrench. (edit: filter is too close to the oil cooler to use a strap wrench unless you remove all of the adjacent body panels.)

Genuine Oil Filter

Vespa version's weird head

strap wrench

Hey POC Phil! Do you have any insight into the "motorcycle specific" oil claims?

(see his reply and the whole thread HERE)

-Mark
itcardoc

oil filter tool

Post by itcardoc »

Hey just thought you'd like to know than a hex allen key of the right size held sideways through the two tabs on on the non-hex oil filter works well. -Kevin
If anything can go wrong ... it will!