Funny interactions with motorcycle riders?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

English wrote:
Raiderfn31 wrote:In Charlotte motorcycle riders DO NOT wave at scooterist. PERIOD. Ive tried and the looks I get could kill. Gotta have a Harley and a beard here to be a "man".

That's OK. Harley riders rarely wave at motorcyclists either. :wink:
do they carry lap dogs to complete the look?
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

ericalm wrote:I nod a lot more and wave a lot less on the Stella. Shift shift shift.
+1 on that from Eric.

between shifting, steering around potholes, or just hanging on for dear life at 50mph on my Stella 4-T, I tend to do nods.

Exceptions that get a horn beep, or right hand wave/gesture:

Vespa 2-stroke or Lambretta 2-T riders...pay homage to original scooters

Buddy riders...we have the same 'Pappa'

The ridiculously attractive SoCal women who scream, "I LOVE your scooter!!"

Nuff said.
Image Image
English

Post by English »

Not scooter related, but last week I picked up a different bike. I changed it from a sports bike to a big sports-tourer with fairing.
On the interstate on the way back, a Harley rider coming the other way gave me that "I'm so cool" two fingers to the ground wave.

Being out of practise with a full fairing, I nonchalantly extended my hand out.
Trouble is, I had put my hand out of the bubble of still air behind the fairing.

The wind caught my arm, and turned my cool little hand wave into a cross between a Kermit flail, and the kind of manic wave that looked like I'd just had the short bus come by without stopping to pick me up. He must have thought I was a very excited little biker.

Must remember about that fairing in future. :D
viney266

Post by viney266 »

English wrote:
Raiderfn31 wrote:In Charlotte motorcycle riders DO NOT wave at scooterist. PERIOD. Ive tried and the looks I get could kill. Gotta have a Harley and a beard here to be a "man".
That's OK. Harley riders rarely wave at motorcyclists either. :wink:
^^^ Around here...It seems the old school H-D guys will wave, its the yuppie Harley guys..You know the doctors and lawyers that buy cool for the weekends. We call "em "rubbies"...Rich Urban Bikers...they have all the right clothes t-shirts and bikes so you just KNOW they are the coolest...Those seem to be the guys that don't wave...and they just make me smile as I ride by and wave...
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
TVB

Post by TVB »

Not a motorcycle, but...

I pulled up next to a Honda Insight (early hybrid, great gas mileage), almost exactly the same color as my Buddy. We exchanged looks. Mine said, "I win. :)"
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

English wrote:Not scooter related, but last week I picked up a different bike. I changed it from a sports bike to a big sports-tourer with fairing.
On the interstate on the way back, a Harley rider coming the other way gave me that "I'm so cool" two fingers to the ground wave.

Being out of practise with a full fairing, I nonchalantly extended my hand out.
Trouble is, I had put my hand out of the bubble of still air behind the fairing.

The wind caught my arm, and turned my cool little hand wave into a cross between a Kermit flail, and the kind of manic wave that looked like I'd just had the short bus come by without stopping to pick me up. He must have thought I was a very excited little biker.

Must remember about that fairing in future. :D
That cracked me up. You can get spoiled by that bubble.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Harley guy at work yesterday: "Hey what year is that scoot? A buddy and I were looking at it the other evening, and based on the mileage you've got (9200 +) we figure it's an old one."
Me: It's an '08. I've had it two years, had 65 mi on it when I got it.
Him: Really?? WOW you've put some on it. I've had this 5 years and only have 3000mi.
Me: Gotta LOVE riding......
Him: I really do too, ride every 'nice' day I can.........
Me: :rofl:
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KABarash wrote:Harley guy at work yesterday: "Hey what year is that scoot? A buddy and I were looking at it the other evening, and based on the mileage you've got (9200 +) we figure it's an old one."
Him: Really?? WOW you've put some on it. I've had this 5 years and only have 3000mi.
EXACTLY.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
viney266

Post by viney266 »

KABarash wrote:Harley guy at work yesterday: "Hey what year is that scoot? A buddy and I were looking at it the other evening, and based on the mileage you've got (9200 +) we figure it's an old one."
Oh Oh Oh...Gotta relate my wife ,Carol's, story.

We are out in Ohio at the AMA homecoming the 2nd year. There are 3 CX500turbos in the parking lot. Ours is the least "pretty" of the three and the guys with the other 2 come to check hers out. e had already seen theirs. One with 6k one with 10k...This was in 89? So bike was 6 years old. Hers had 72k on the clock.

One GUY:" How'd you get so many miles on your bike?"

Carol's comment??? ...you ready? She kinda smirks, looks at him sheepishly and says.....

" I ride it?"

Hahahaha I fell in love ALL OVER AGAIN....
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
TVB

Post by TVB »

I just had one of those "at a stop light I pulled up next to a ______" stories.... with a bus.

A county transit bus is stopped at a corner, maybe letting someone on, waiting for the light to change. I pull into the left-turn lane, and stop just a little ahead of it. Several seconds later, the bus honks. I ignore it, because... why would he be honking at me? He pulls forward a foot or so and honks again. I look up at the bus driver, and he's looking at me, gesturing forcefully.... holding up and pointing.... at.... his Tactical Bail Out Bag. :D As usual, I had mine over my shoulder, sitting on the seat behind me. He recognized it, and (understandably) had to share that moment of kinship with me.

My friends, the TBOB is more than just a Modern Buddy thing, more than a scooter thing, and even more than a motorbike thing. It is a fraternity that transcends the number of wheels on your ride! We are a family of law-enforcement officers, scooterists, mercenary survivalists, ... and bus drivers! We can overcome our different lifestyles, our different choices of protective gear, our different views on both the Second and Fourth Amendments, even our different modes of transportation, and agree that this is One Good Bag.

We should have a special wave or something.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

TVB wrote:I just had one of those "at a stop light I pulled up next to a ______" stories.... with a bus.

A county transit bus is stopped at a corner, maybe letting someone on, waiting for the light to change. I pull into the left-turn lane, and stop just a little ahead of it. Several seconds later, the bus honks. I ignore it, because... why would he be honking at me? He pulls forward a foot or so and honks again. I look up at the bus driver, and he's looking at me, gesturing forcefully.... holding up and pointing.... at.... his Tactical Bail Out Bag. :D As usual, I had mine over my shoulder, sitting on the seat behind me. He recognized it, and (understandably) had to share that moment of kinship with me.

My friends, the TBOB is more than just a Modern Buddy thing, more than a scooter thing, and even more than a motorbike thing. It is a fraternity that transcends the number of wheels on your ride! We are a family of law-enforcement officers, scooterists, mercenary survivalists, ... and bus drivers! We can overcome our different lifestyles, our different choices of protective gear, our different views on both the Second and Fourth Amendments, even our different modes of transportation, and agree that this is One Good Bag.

LMAO. Kumbaya!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

TVB wrote:I just had one of those "at a stop light I pulled up next to a ______" stories.... with a bus.

This. Awesome. Yes.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

Damn I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Very nice story! And great price on the bag. I hate being an impulsive buyer! :)
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Iv ridden all 4 two wheel types on road Cruisers, Sport bikes, Scooters, and Dirt bikes. The cruiser guys habitually wave to you on sports bikes becasue they know that even though they represent the free spirit cowboy or Indian, the sport bikers represent a sort of techno-Darth Vader capability "wave becasue if we try and race him we will choke." The Sport Bike guys in response try and wave back but usually are concentrating on the next fast maneuver. The Dirt-bike guys are the true adventurers and athletes of the two wheel bunch, having just hit the road after a great nature and acrobatic fun ride are in great shape and spirits and will wave at anyone bicyclist, joggers, pedestrians, even point at dogs and cats. All these though don't really see the scooter mostly becasue it is physically so low to the ground and so quiet by the time it passes most everyone else is wondering "did something just pass on two wheels, Nah". But when seen the scooter memorizes all other riders who are too fixated to wave but more interested in thought like "Wow! that kinda looks likes fun, look how cute that thing is, look at him go, I gotta try on of those."
Beamster

Post by Beamster »

My wife had a surprising number of positive interactions at the local Harley dealer when she went there on the Buddy for sunglasses.

Now mind you, we are die hard British bike enthusiasts and wouldn't give a Harley a second look, but apparently she hit the dealer on a date when the weekend bad ass mid-life crisis doctors, lawyers and accounts hadn't gotten into character yet.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Beamster wrote:My wife had a surprising number of positive interactions at the local Harley dealer when she went there on the Buddy for sunglasses.

Now mind you, we are die hard British bike enthusiasts and wouldn't give a Harley a second look, but apparently she hit the dealer on a date when the weekend bad ass mid-life crisis doctors, lawyers and accounts hadn't gotten into character yet.
The effects of artificial testosterone overdose can be unpredictable. :)
Jennyfer

Post by Jennyfer »

All my responses have been pretty positive here in Austin.

I've gotten waves from people on bikes. I think the fact that I'm a girl on a pink scooter makes it less unusual to a lot of people so there haven't been any jerks. I usually only ride my scoot to my neighborhood gym so it's usually about a 10-15 minute ride or the grocery store.

I've had two men honk at me in their cages, one who waved particularly madly at me and after the initial shock, I'd give them a big smile and a wave. While driving through the parking lot the other day, someone yelled from his balcony "YEAH!" so I've had good experiences so far :) I really like it when I'm at an intersection and people are driving past me staring at my scoot with smiles on their faces :)!

It's almost as if they want to partake in the Kool-aid too!
I try and stay limber, swim, run, ride my scooter.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Not the reactions I get when I ride a pink scooter.
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

CWO4GUNNER wrote:Iv ridden all 4 two wheel types on road Cruisers, Sport bikes, Scooters, and Dirt bikes. The cruiser guys habitually wave to you on sports bikes becasue they know that even though they represent the free spirit cowboy or Indian, the sport bikers represent a sort of techno-Darth Vader capability "wave becasue if we try and race him we will choke." The Sport Bike guys in response try and wave back but usually are concentrating on the next fast maneuver. The Dirt-bike guys are the true adventurers and athletes of the two wheel bunch, having just hit the road after a great nature and acrobatic fun ride are in great shape and spirits and will wave at anyone bicyclist, joggers, pedestrians, even point at dogs and cats. All these though don't really see the scooter mostly becasue it is physically so low to the ground and so quiet by the time it passes most everyone else is wondering "did something just pass on two wheels, Nah". But when seen the scooter memorizes all other riders who are too fixated to wave but more interested in thought like "Wow! that kinda looks likes fun, look how cute that thing is, look at him go, I gotta try on of those."
Gunner that was a great explaination! :o
"When your lawyer looks at you like you deserve whats coming, you may begin to sweat."
TVB

Post by TVB »

ericalm wrote:Not the reactions I get when I ride a pink scooter.
Perhaps you aren't pretty enough for it. :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

TVB wrote:
Perhaps you aren't pretty enough for it. :)
Not nearly.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

What a great TBOB story, who's got the rights to the website again? :P
dshanson

Post by dshanson »

TVB wrote:
SteveK wrote:Just a short way down the road son came up upon the rice burner and an unmarked cruiser. The burner was bested by himself. Son acknowledged him with a Stebel salute and a smile....glad he got a scooter, the tempation could've led to a casket.
I don't have children, but I'm told that seeing some reckless asshole who just blew past you has been pulled over for speeding, is the second-most gratifying experience in the world, after seeing your child for the first time.
ok this isnt scooter related but.....

One time, I was driving (my car) back from a roadtrip on january 1, when all the cops were out pulling over drunk new year's day'ers. I went the speed limit the whole time, and one time about 5 cars raced past me, only to get pulled over about 2 minutes later :lol:. Couldn't stop laughing.
rockraines

Post by rockraines »

I ride my ducati with my gf who rides my blackjack (they are both matte black) we get a TON of looks when we both blow everyone off the line.
Tam Tam

hate to bust your bubble, but

Post by Tam Tam »

So, I'm riding the 2t red stella home from the shop, where it got the 600 mile service and a sito+ exhaust put on, and now I'm stoked because the scoot is getting' broken in' and I can ride a little more aggressively.
At a stop light I end up in the lane next to about 12-13 'dudes' on harleys and honda valkyries and such. But these are just regular guys, half of them with their wives/gf's on the back. Lotta guys wearing shorts, and muscle shirts, but no real tattoos. Lotta tennis shoes too. The on board stereos nearest me were screaming Bon Jovi, and no one was wearing helmets. But they all had the posturing and 'tough guy poses' as I stopped at the redlight.
When it went green, the 2 bikes in front shot out, and I popped out right along with um. After 5 seconds, the 'leader' drops his left hand from the grip and lets it hang. This must've been the 'slowdown signal' as the 'toughs' slowed down and I kept up my speed and passed them.
Then it occurred to me - they must have thought i was trying to 'ride with them'. Hell, I was just going home.
It just made me smile behind my helmet shield, as in: hate to shatter your ego, but I'm not trying to be superbadass and 'ride with you'.
Just a funny observation.
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
Stormswift

Post by Stormswift »

Same neighbor who is "in lust" with my Dobby and whose wife will not in a million years allow him to buy a scooter pulled up next to me in his car at the exit form our development. As we sit and wait for break in traffic we are exchanging pleasantries. He then out of the blue asks if I am going to work after my ride???? I am totally confuzzled for a bout 2 seconds then I get it: When i told him previously that I ride to work from time to time he did not believe me. HE thought I was bragging. So I tell him: "I AM going to work. Now." He looks totally shocked, then says "You mean you are actually riding to work?" I said 'Yes, I told you before that I ride to work. "
So we get our of the development, me first. He catches up to me at the light and continues to chat. I finally decided it was time for him to see that Dobby is a real motorcycle and what it can do on take off. So I did. Darn this bike is FAST
I am not a scooter snob.
I am a scooter connoisseur
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I'm cruising along Quebec Parkway headed East to the light at Highway 2 at about 5:30 in the afternoon (my usual route home). It's a 45 mph road so I was going anywhere from 50-60 bmph (my usual speed). I see a big bike a mile or so behind me; I can tell it's big 'cause there are 3 headlights and it takes up the whole lane.

I'm getting near the intersection at Highway 2 so I move over to the right lane since the left lane ends after you cross Hwy 2. Big Bike ends up about 6 or 7 cars back in my lane. I'm about 2 cars back from the intersection and we're all waiting for the light to turn green.
Well, he pulls out into the right lane and glides up next to me on a really nice looking Harley (c'mon, some of 'em really are beautiful!) and stops even though he can go all the way up to line.

I look over and he's looking at me with his wife on the back of the bike.
He says: "That's the fastest damn scooter I've ever seen. I see you on this road all the time and I just had to catch up to you and show your scooter to my wife. What model is that?"
I tell him "It's a Genuine Scooter Company Buddy 150. And yeah, it's pretty fast. I have to keep up because I get no respect on a scooter!"

We chat a little longer; me telling him how I've racked-up 20,000 miles in three years but not mentioning how there just don't seem to be any Harley riders out in the Winter!

The light turns green and he says "Ride safe." And takes off, pipes rattling.

Nice guy. Nice bike. Nice chat.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

Start riding through West Hollywood? :P
Image Image
TVB

Post by TVB »

Stormswift wrote:He catches up to me at the light and continues to chat. I finally decided it was time for him to see that Dobby is a real motorcycle and what it can do on take off. So I did. Darn this bike is FAST
As much as I like the stereotypically "scooterish" limitations of my own bike, I still enjoy reading stories like this. :)
Raiderfn31

Post by Raiderfn31 »

DirtyRAT wrote:
Start riding through West Hollywood? :P
:rofl:
trukntommy

Post by trukntommy »

Rode up to the test track to take my skills test and a guy on a motorcycle was waiting to test. He took one look at my Buddy and said "That's not fair. You get to test on that little thing?" I don't make the rules.
Keep on Truckn'!!Image
Plisar

Post by Plisar »

I went on an awesome 60 mile drive up and down the coast in Northern San Diego County today, and I had some awesome experiences with motorcyclists. Every biker today gave me the wave back (which was really cool), and I got to ride in formations for long stretches with two different groups. One time, it was me and another biker on an old Honda. We drove together for about ten miles and when he turned off of Carlsbad Blvd, he told me how awesome my scooter was.

The other time, was on my way home with a group of four bikers. When we were going up Torrey Pines Road, they actually held back and stayed with me while my scooter was doing 55 up the hill (and they could have easily gone faster).

Awesome experience, great riding. Too bad there were no scooters out besides me this morning!
jprestonian

Post by jprestonian »

I thought maybe this story belonged here. 100% true, and happened, tonight.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

TVB wrote:
Stormswift wrote:He catches up to me at the light and continues to chat. I finally decided it was time for him to see that Dobby is a real motorcycle and what it can do on take off. So I did. Darn this bike is FAST
As much as I like the stereotypically "scooterish" limitations of my own bike, I still enjoy reading stories like this. :)
Stuff like this makes me want to get a 170i and re-badge it as a 50cc (no laws against that in AZ since all bikes over 30mph require a MC endorsement). That way when someone is shocked at me passing them, I can say "Oh, this little thing? Eh, it's 'just' a scooter...".

:twisted:
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
cleohscoots

Buddy vs Goldwing

Post by cleohscoots »

I was walking out of the gym the other day and parked next to my new silver 170i is a Honda Goldwing with the exact same paint scheme. The owner of the Goldwing (I soon found out) was sitting on a bench talking on the phone as I was putting my stuff in my top case. He walked over to me and leaned against his giant ride and said, "wow - I just had to call my wife and let her know that my motorcycle delivered a baby." He then showed me the photo on his iPhone that he had sent to his wife of his Goldwing next to its offspring. Really funny.
Lotrat

Post by Lotrat »

It's really funny when someone on a motorcycle starts to give you the wave then realizes you're on a scoot and then tries to take it back. I give a great big flamboyant wave back. It's the little things like brighten my day.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Lotrat wrote:It's really funny when someone on a motorcycle starts to give you the wave then realizes you're on a scoot and then tries to take it back. I give a great big flamboyant wave back. It's the little things like brighten my day.
This happens to me all the time.

I also need to realize that people can't see me smile in my full helmet (duh). Sometimes when I can't free a hand to wave, I instinctively smile back.
LetySalinas

Post by LetySalinas »

So I'm sitting at a red light in a not so wonderful part of town at about ten pm on a Thur night. The street that I'm on has about four biker bars within 3 blocks, one of which is just after the red light. An older, scruffy guy on a Harley pulls up right next to me which makes me a little nervous. I'm a pretty tough chick and can take care of myself but I'm sure that's not how they see me. Anyway, the guy pulls up to me and asks me if I want to race. I laugh a little and say "sure, why not." 8) He revs his engine, which gets the attention of EVERYONE at the bar, the light turns green, and there we go. I take off leaving him in the dust! (I do realize that he's letting me win) As soon as I pass the bar I hear/see everyone cheering for me with there hands in the air. Someone in a cage even pulled up next to me and yelled "GET IT GIRL! WOOOOOOOOOO!" out her window. BEST NIGHT EVER!
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

LetySalinas wrote:So I'm sitting at a red light in a not so wonderful part of town at about ten pm on a Thur night. The street that I'm on has about four biker bars within 3 blocks, one of which is just after the red light. An older, scruffy guy on a Harley pulls up right next to me which makes me a little nervous. I'm a pretty tough chick and can take care of myself but I'm sure that's not how they see me. Anyway, the guy pulls up to me and asks me if I want to race. I laugh a little and say "sure, why not." 8) He revs his engine, which gets the attention of EVERYONE at the bar, the light turns green, and there we go. I take off leaving him in the dust! (I do realize that he's letting me win) As soon as I pass the bar I hear/see everyone cheering for me with there hands in the air. Someone in a cage even pulled up next to me and yelled "GET IT GIRL! WOOOOOOOOOO!" out her window. BEST NIGHT EVER!
That is pretty awesome! I've never tried to be much of a topper, but if I was, I don't think I could top that one.
Tenchi

My first interaction with Motorcross dudes....funny.

Post by Tenchi »

As I was pulling out of the parking lot at Savemart, I notice a pickup with a trailer filled with motocross bikes. I sauntered over casually and asked the driver of the truck where they were going. Hollister, he said. Used to watch hill climbers with my stepfather in those parts. He looked over the blue Buddy and said "Hey, you can try out your bike there, but probably get a lot of looks. He then added, "Your WIFE probably doesn't want you to get it dirty."I just smiled and rode off. Too many hits to the head... :D
LetySalinas

Post by LetySalinas »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:That is pretty awesome! I've never tried to be much of a topper, but if I was, I don't think I could top that one.
Yeah, it happened over a week ago and I still smile when I think about it.
Saarlak

Post by Saarlak »

BigBenlor wrote:Oh man Eric, is that the stagecoach inn? thats the one that had a 45 foot water wheel in the back (in fountain creek) they are known for colorado comfort food, and $2 beers. or its the european cafe.
I live in Colorado Springs, CO (about a 20min run to Manitou) and, yes, the Stage Coach Inn is still in business as is the European Cafe. Manitou is an awesome place, reminds me of where I grew up in California (Santa Cruz).

-David
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Saarlak wrote:
BigBenlor wrote:Oh man Eric, is that the stagecoach inn? thats the one that had a 45 foot water wheel in the back (in fountain creek) they are known for colorado comfort food, and $2 beers. or its the european cafe.
I live in Colorado Springs, CO (about a 20min run to Manitou) and, yes, the Stage Coach Inn is still in business as is the European Cafe. Manitou is an awesome place, reminds me of where I grew up in California (Santa Cruz).

-David
Wow, that's great to hear, thanks!
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I love the looks people give me when I get on 405 to go to work or come home. I remember one time someone thought "oh a scooter. It's going to go slow--I'll just pass it". We were on a straight away, and traffic was speeding up from 45 or so. By the time they got in the other lane I was up to 65 (72 indicated), and they were blocked by another car.

They waited until I was safely a ways by, then got back behind me, then backed off. :)

I love proving to people that we aren't necessarily slow.

I also like the looks people give me when I get OFF the freeway. :P

(My scooter's stock)
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

michelle_7728 wrote:I love the looks people give me when I get on 405 to go to work or come home. I remember one time someone thought "oh a scooter. It's going to go slow--I'll just pass it". We were on a straight away, and traffic was speeding up from 45 or so. By the time they got in the other lane I was up to 65 (72 indicated), and they were blocked by another car.

They waited until I was safely a ways by, then got back behind me, then backed off. :)

(My scooter's stock)
Are 125cc scooters fwy legal in WA? They aren't in CA.
Interesting that a stock Buddy 125 seems to be as fast as a stock Buddy 170i (going by your numbers)
Bulls Eye

Post by Bulls Eye »

The only people I've had any negative comments from are the rednecks in their enormous trucks. I usually shut them up by telling them I get about 70mpg and then asking what their gas mileage is.

Most of the mototrclycle riders have I've encountered have been very positive. (Except sport bike guys, they tend to be aloof.) All the tough Harley bikers are cool to me.

Motorcycle riders in this part of Texas do a sort of salute when passing by each other in opposite directions; left hand out and down a bit, sometimes with a slight nod. I reckon from reading the stories here that this salutation is used elsewhere.
I always enjoy getting it from other riders- it's like being in a club!
TVB

Post by TVB »

Bulls Eye wrote:Motorcycle riders in this part of Texas do a sort of salute when passing by each other in opposite directions; left hand out and down a bit, sometimes with a slight nod. I reckon from reading the stories here that this salutation is used elsewhere.
You'll see variations on this all over the place. A common variation is two fingers extended like a "peace" sign. Some riders apparently see it a secret handshake to be shared only with "their kind" of riders; most treat it as a greeting to anyone on two wheels, acknowledging that we're all just... riders. 8)
DubSea Scoots

Post by DubSea Scoots »

TVB wrote:
Bulls Eye wrote:Motorcycle riders in this part of Texas do a sort of salute when passing by each other in opposite directions; left hand out and down a bit, sometimes with a slight nod. I reckon from reading the stories here that this salutation is used elsewhere.
You'll see variations on this all over the place. A common variation is two fingers extended like a "peace" sign. Some riders apparently see it a secret handshake to be shared only with "their kind" of riders; most treat it as a greeting to anyone on two wheels, acknowledging that we're all just... riders. 8)
I was just out riding with my hubby and he brought to my attention that I wave at other riders with "jazz hands" - you know, hand out with all fingers waggling. DOH! I must have developed this habit when my subtle waves weren't getting a response... I'm gonna have to bring it down a notch. :D
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

desmolicious wrote:
michelle_7728 wrote:I love the looks people give me when I get on 405 to go to work or come home. I remember one time someone thought "oh a scooter. It's going to go slow--I'll just pass it". We were on a straight away, and traffic was speeding up from 45 or so. By the time they got in the other lane I was up to 65 (72 indicated), and they were blocked by another car.

(My scooter's stock)
Are 125cc scooters fwy legal in WA? They aren't in CA.
Interesting that a stock Buddy 125 seems to be as fast as a stock Buddy 170i (going by your numbers)
No idea. I figure if I can keep up with traffic, what the heck. I see Vespas on the freeway. I know, I know, they are probably higher cc than my Buddy, and if I end up getting pulled over and get a ticket, I'm sure I'll change my tune. Yeah, it seems to go faster the longer I have the bike. I have not used GPS to check the speed, but I figure if it says 72 mpg on level ground (not going downhill), then I am probably going 65. I'm not terribly lightweight either (150 pounds).
Past bikes: 08' Genuine Buddy 125, '07 Yamaha Majesty 400, '07 Piaggio MP3 250, '08 Piaggio MP3 500, '08 Aprilia Scarabeo 500
Current bikes: Two '09 Genuine Buddy 125's
TVB

Post by TVB »

DubSea Scoots wrote:I was just out riding with my hubby and he brought to my attention that I wave at other riders with "jazz hands" - you know, hand out with all fingers waggling. DOH! I must have developed this habit when my subtle waves weren't getting a response... I'm gonna have to bring it down a notch. :D
Jazz-hand waves are OK. I will never forget the wave I got as I was scooting past one of the harbor/beach towns along Lake Michigan. A kid who looked about 16 passed me going the other way on a rental scooter, waving wildly at me with a huge grin on his face, apparently having the most awesome experience of his still-virginal life, and I must have been "his first" scooter to wave at. :) Just keep it more low-key than that.