Turn your Stella into a GS (sorta)

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ericalm
Site Admin

Turn your Stella into a GS (sorta)

Post by ericalm »

Vivo Scooters in the UK sells a series of body parts and accessories that will convert a Stella (2T or 4T!) or PX into something resembling a GS. From what I can tell from their site, it looks pretty damn good!

The prices are about what you'd pay for replacement parts in the US, but shipping and conversion to dollars make the whole thing a bit spendy. Still—COOL!

Parts: http://www.vivoscooters.co.uk/vivobodykit.html

Converted Stellas (Stars): http://www.vivoscooters.co.uk/vintage.html

Maybe some US company will import the parts for us? :)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

Cool!

Kinda tacky of them to put a Vespa badge on the legshield of the pictured scoot, though.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Silver Streak wrote:Kinda tacky of them to put a Vespa badge on the legshield of the pictured scoot, though.
VERY tacky. But I guess they're illustrating that this could be done with a PX, too. Even though that's clearly a Star 4T. Ha.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

I just watched their video. It looks a lot better from the front or back than from the side. From the side it looks a bit Frankenscooterish.
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

"You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit....
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
desmolicious

Post by desmolicious »

What looks 'off' is the front fender, especially when seen from the side.

I dunno though, copy cat stuff, no matter how harmless, just seems a bit lame.
Silver Streak

Post by Silver Streak »

BuddyRaton wrote:I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit....
I somehow knew the vintage purists would have a problem... :P
Dave

www.glyphukulele.com

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Well, if you're starting off with a Stella…

I'm never in favor of trying to pass something off as something it's not. I've seen (online) 2T Stellas rebadged as PXs, which I think is kind of goofy.

I don't think anyone will mistake one of these for a GS. For me, the cowls and horncast are the most appealing parts.

And if someone was going to do the whole mod thing (chrome, mirrors, lights, etc.) with their Stella or PX, I think it'd look better (aesthetically) with the old-style horncast. To me, when people do that to a P or similar, it always looks a bit off.

To each their own! :)
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Hey, it's like getting a GS without the 6 volt nightmare! :P

But, in seriousness, this could be a great idea for someone who has a bashed up Stella and wants to fix it up different. If I could find a thousand buck runner with bad cosmetics, I would seriously consider this if the fit and finish were good enough. Of course, to me trying to pass it off as a Vespa is fraudulent. I can totally see some uneducated hipster being ripped off by 5 or 6 grand for a Stella dressed in one of these kits.

But then again, you have tons of "custom" bikes trying to pass themselves off as Harley Davidsons. Soon, after the flood of bikes followed in the 90's Harley just sort of "Gave up" and the scene slowly just accepted them being there.

Perhaps this is the start for scooters in the same vein?
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

neotrotsky wrote:Perhaps this is the start for scooters in the same vein?
The start?
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

ericalm wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:Perhaps this is the start for scooters in the same vein?
The start?
I don't put the Viet-scams in the same category as "custom cloning". Vietnam bikes are made to rip off consumers pure and simple, while the idea of putting a few GS parts on a legit Stella is just for fun and looks. Vietnam bikes are something that should be killed with fire right off the bat and the sellers should be imprisoned for fraud.

That being said, I would honestly spend cash on just the cowls, horncast, front fender and lights and go with that. It looks the best combo for me for the cash and by my estimates would only put me out $520 before shipping. Find a beat up Stella for around $1500 and I may have a project idea...
Last edited by neotrotsky on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
DirtyRAT

Post by DirtyRAT »

Great find, Eric! Let's hope Scooterworks or scooterwest picks these parts up!

I went to the link you provided, and found some amusing 'Engrish' many places:

CORSA - Teamed up with Polini, LML Italia decided to enter in the world of the race fans and in the world of people who think that riding in a circuit is a lifestyle. Star Corsa is a not homologated scooter and it can be used only in circuits. it has a good performance and is fast and aggressive at each speed. The starting and stretching acceleration is more fast and the overtaking is more easy thanks to the greater recovery and the increase of the maximum power.

http://www.vivoscooters.co.uk/lml_se.html
Image Image
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

DirtyRAT wrote:I went to the link you provided, and found some amusing 'Engrish' many places:
It's just bad English. Vivo is in Scotland, LML in India. The Indians probably have better English grammar than most Americans.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

I like it a lot

I was just wondering how my red stella would look with white honrncast, fender & cowls after seeing the two tone stella pics here on MB

this might be a fun way to do that
scooterjon
Banned

Post by scooterjon »

looks tacky like a Nam Vespa except that this is a wanna be Vespa :lol: I wonder if these cowls are anything like the originals. Would be cool if they where as I have a friend looking at restoring a 64 Vespa GS 160 that is missing a set?

Jon
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

scooterjon wrote:looks tacky like a Nam Vespa except that this is a wanna be Vespa :lol: I wonder if these cowls are anything like the originals. Would be cool if they where as I have a friend looking at restoring a 64 Vespa GS 160 that is missing a set?

Jon
They won't fit on an actual GS, but I think some company in Europe makes repro cowls.
Lovelandstella

Re: Turn your Stella into a GS (sorta)

Post by Lovelandstella »

ericalm wrote:Vivo Scooters in the UK sells a series of body parts and accessories that will convert a Stella (2T or 4T!) Image
Parts: http://www.vivoscooters.co.uk/vivobodykit.html
I remember reading about these guys. they had made these parts in very small batches for themselves and I don't remember exactly if they did so to win scooter build-offs or just to show off at rallies, but what I do remember was that they gained a LOT of attention, and a lot of people wanted to buy those parts that fit effortlessly onto the stock px or stella.
[I use the term "effortlessly" for all parts but the horn cast. the stock horncase is nearly impossible to put back on when I do it- it seems to barely fit! (I actually broke the one on my 2T while trying to get it back on - no lie.) There's just a crapload of wires in there, let alone with this one from Vivo scooters -there's no room! or at least it looks like it. I don't know. I haven't seen it. even if there IS as much room as the stock horncast- my point is: its not enough room and thus, quite effortfull, far from effortless] moving on...
anyway, Vivo got a lot of attention for these/this and I read a lot of requests from people all across the globe who had already invested in their PX or Stella but wished they could have a curvy-er, bumpy-er, less robot-y, more art-y, and "just-cooler-according-to-certain-owners" type of "look". So Vivo finally appears to be in a position to mass produce these and make them available to the world! good for them!

For myself - the only ones I would be curious about (not buy) would be the cowls. but thats just me.
~Lovelandstella
----------------------------------------
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

ericalm wrote:And if someone was going to do the whole mod thing (chrome, mirrors, lights, etc.) with their Stella or PX, I think it'd look better (aesthetically) with the old-style horncast. To me, when people do that to a P or similar, it always looks a bit off. To each their own! :)
I agree- and I personally think that the mod look on the new modern vespas is even worse. - but that's just me. :wink:
~Lovelandstella
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

neotrotsky wrote:...I can totally see some uneducated hipster being ripped off by 5 or 6 grand for a Stella dressed in one of these kits.
I am confused...
being ripped off 5-6 grand? like 5-6 thousand more than the product they recieve?
help me understand.

Are you talking about someone taking a new stella ($4k out the door, American) then lets say the full Vivo kit change- every part - make it look as different as possible- as deceiving as possible- that's £950.00 or in American dollars $1,520. so we are already at $5520 not including shipping all the way from Scotland, and not including labor to take off all the stock parts and put on these new Vivo parts...
already I am seeing that selling it for $5-6K would only make these "rip-off artists" you refer to break even, and the "hipsters" would be getting a steal.
Now, if you meant someone (rip-off artists) would then take that "vivo stella" (what I kind of hope will not become a household name - like "shelby mustang"- but whatever) and sell it for a profit of $5-6k. that would mean they would have to sell it for at least 10-11 Thousand dollars... for a scooter... a 150 or maybe 200cc scooter... that doesn't fly...
I don't have to say that any uninformed 'hipster' -without access to google- that pays that much for any scooter - deserves to be ripped off. I'm sorry.

people deceiving to make money? dispicable.
people dressing up something they have to look like and experience something they want? and further- a business to cater to those desires? lots of things come to mind, ummm... transvestites, toddlers in tiaras, those trucks with the stupid camero bumpers on them, little boys with a towel pinned around their neck for a cape, basically... the american way?

Good for them! good for Scotland for doing this 1st. now certain people can choose to individualize their favorite rides more than just stickers, chrome and road rash. about time!

I dunno. what do you think about it?
~Lovelandstella
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Lovelandstella wrote:
neotrotsky wrote:...I can totally see some uneducated hipster being ripped off by 5 or 6 grand for a Stella dressed in one of these kits.
I am confused...
being ripped off 5-6 grand? like 5-6 thousand more than the product they recieve?
help me understand.

Are you talking about someone taking a new stella ($4k out the door, American) then lets say the full Vivo kit change- every part - make it look as different as possible- as deceiving as possible- that's £950.00 or in American dollars $1,520. so we are already at $5520 not including shipping all the way from Scotland, and not including labor to take off all the stock parts and put on these new Vivo parts...
already I am seeing that selling it for $5-6K would only make these "rip-off artists" you refer to break even, and the "hipsters" would be getting a steal.
Now, if you meant someone (rip-off artists) would then take that "vivo stella" (what I kind of hope will not become a household name - like "shelby mustang"- but whatever) and sell it for a profit of $5-6k. that would mean they would have to sell it for at least 10-11 Thousand dollars... for a scooter... a 150 or maybe 200cc scooter... that doesn't fly...
I don't have to say that any uninformed 'hipster' -without access to google- that pays that much for any scooter - deserves to be ripped off. I'm sorry.

people deceiving to make money? dispicable.
people dressing up something they have to look like and experience something they want? and further- a business to cater to those desires? lots of things come to mind, ummm... transvestites, toddlers in tiaras, those trucks with the stupid camero bumpers on them, little boys with a towel pinned around their neck for a cape, basically... the american way?

Good for them! good for Scotland for doing this 1st. now certain people can choose to individualize their favorite rides more than just stickers, chrome and road rash. about time!

I dunno. what do you think about it?
What I'm talking about when I say "ripping off" is someone taking a bashed up, laid down Stella for $1000 or so, throwing these panels on (or even just a few to cut corners), throwing some cheap paint and badges on it and passing it off as an actual GS for $6,000 on Craigslist. That to me is a rip-off: Selling one bike as another. And, people get stupid around here to have status symbols. I constantly see bikes with Vespa titles attached to Chinese bikes, and Craigslist scammers convincing college kids with too much of daddy's money that it's a "Real" Vespa for $4k to $5k, only to have the DMV tell them that the title is a fraud and doesn't belong to the bike at all. I know of 4 students alone that this happened to. Is it their fault for being so utterly stupid when they don't have to be? Yes. There is no reason for such ignorance, but it's just as illegal when title fraud like that is considered common on Craigslist and other auto sites in the area here.

Now, if someone sold this as a "Custom Scooter" with it's legit title, then no problem at all. In fact, I've thought about trying to find a salvaged Stella to do this to, and just have my cousin in Belfast buy the parts and use his company mail access to ship them at a discount. I think it would be fun. But, There are many who would have no problem passing this off to make several thousand profit by claiming it was something it's not. If someone wants to make their bike into a GS-like custom, then I would love to see it!

Then again, Phoenix is abundant with rip-offs and counterfeit cars. I can't tell you how many "Evo Lancer" knock offs with badges are floating around and the like, with the prices to match. Some professor at ASU bought a 442 that wasn't even CLOSE to being what the seller said it was, and he lost something like $40,000 :shock:

Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

neotrotsky wrote:
Lovelandstella wrote:
I am confused...
help me understand...
...any uninformed 'hipster' -without access to google- that pays that much for any scooter - deserves to be ripped off. I'm sorry.
...people deceiving to make money? dispicable.
...That to me is a rip-off: Selling one bike as another. And, people get stupid around here to have status symbols. I constantly see bikes with Vespa titles attached to Chinese bikes, and Craigslist scammers convincing college kids with too much of daddy's money that it's a "Real" Vespa for $4k to $5k, only to have the DMV tell them that the title is a fraud and doesn't belong to the bike at all. I know of 4 students alone that this happened to. Is it their fault for being so utterly stupid when they don't have to be? Yes. There is no reason for such ignorance, but it's just as illegal when title fraud like that is considered common on Craigslist and other auto sites in the area here.
...Then again, Phoenix is abundant with rip-offs and counterfeit cars. I can't tell you how many "Evo Lancer" knock offs with badges are floating around and the like, with the prices to match. Some professor at ASU bought a 442 that wasn't even CLOSE to being what the seller said it was, and he lost something like $40,000 :shock:
we are on the same page. I see you are also cocerned with people NOT fixing the things they are supposed to fix and instead covering up damage, and trying to pass it off as a non lemon- when it really is.
I have to admit that for your biggest points really can be beat if the new scooter buyers simply "googled" the scooter or car they want to buy. if people are falling for "Vespa titles attached to Chinese bikes" they are only one step away from buying a Vespa ATV, and then only two steps away from a Vespa minivan, then comes vespa shoes! (j/k) the point being. people like that will continue to get burned by scammers for being dumb consumers OR they will learn their lesson. I learned my lesson years ago on a different product and I'm afraid that since then all of my minimal effort to research possible purchases have really made me less sympathetic to those people who fall for this stuff. if you want to buy something you should be willing to spend time researching it- in addition to spending money. I say maybe 1 hour for every $1000 (MINIMUM).
that's why I love genuine scooters from a dealer. you find so much good news about it and so many sales and incentives and - ah it's great.

anyway- what I mean to say about these Vivo parts anyway is that they are innocent from your concerns. they are simply a unique parts supplier. and if they are guilty of being used by scam artists then so is scooterworks and Scooter mercado and motor sport scooters and your cousin in Belfast, because they cannot control what their customers do with their parts. right?
neotrotsky wrote:...But, There are many who would have no problem passing this off to make several thousand profit by claiming it was something it's not.
I still don't see where the "several thousand $$" profit comes into play. -unless they are hiding necessary repairs on a junked bike and if that is the case- then the horn case doesn't matter and is nothing to be mad about- its the scammers putting any body panels over dmg to get mad about - right?
neotrotsky wrote:... If someone wants to make their bike into a GS-like custom, then I would love to see it!
Me too!
Last edited by Lovelandstella on Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Lovelandstella
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I don't know how to make it more clear: A $1500 beat up Stella (even if it is mechanically good) with a grand to 1500 in body parts and then selling it for 5 to 6 grand is a rip off. The bike is NOT worth that. Yes, it's the buyer's fault but Phoenix is rife with con-artists who enjoy picking on the more-ignorant-than-average consumer base we have grazing around here.

Sorry, but when someone sells something as something else and overcharges for it, I think they're a sneaky little bitch and have no problem calling them out on it. That's just the way I see it.

That's where the "Thousands of $" comes in. It's like trying to pass off a V6 secretary's Mustang as a BOSS 302. It doesn't take brains to lift the hood, but you know they are hoping for someone that stupid and they'll find them. Not illegal but you just can't not want to bash them in the skull a few times

Blackshirt

Post by Blackshirt »

Personally I'd take the cowls and horncast in white, put my stella badges back on the cowls, and have a neat 2-tone Stella. Plus, the louvers in the engine cowl would look sick with red LED light coming out of them.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Blackshirt wrote:Personally I'd take the cowls and horncast in white, put my stella badges back on the cowls, and have a neat 2-tone Stella. Plus, the louvers in the engine cowl would look sick with red LED light coming out of them.
That's pretty much what I am thinking
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I would definitely leave out the headset, rear fender treatment, tail light, signals and "Number Plate" which is hella expensive for some reason :shock: So, with only the cowls, horncast and front fender it should come out to a reasonable price. I'm already eyeing a possible change in scooter purchase even (found a used 2T stella with 5k for 1700 and he's willing to negotiate. May try to get him to 1500).

Of course, I'd want to shoot the thing in one color, but still... quite doable. I just wonder how many odd looks I'd get for showing up with a "custom" Stella. It would be cool if it even caught on with Scooterworks or Genuine and they offered the kit in the US

Roughhouse_Rider.

Post by Roughhouse_Rider. »

"if people are falling for "Vespa titles attached to Chinese bikes" they are only one step away from buying a Vespa ATV, and then only two steps away from a Vespa minivan, then comes.....

Oh but Piaggio did make a few automobiles. Google Vespa 400. (I want one soooo bad)

Not trying to be an ass but just throwing that out there....

I too am angered by all of these chinese $999 specials. All they do is give scooters a bad rep. For example someone is in the market for a gas saver for their short commute to work or something to roam around town on so they check into getting a scooter. They buy one because of the insanely low price considering what a quality bike of the came displacement costs. They ride the bike for a few hundred miles and then it breaks down. Customer then brings the scooter back to the shop they bought it from only to find out that it is out of its puny 30 day warranty. The owner, upset, then oks the repair and is on their way. Fast foreward another couple hundred miles something else goes wrong and the unsuspecting consumer declines repair as they will have spent almost as much repairing the bike as they spent on it, decides to cut their losses on the bike and sell it and will never look at a scooter again

I despise the local dealership by me because they have a monopoly on the market and swindle all of their customers. Its sad because they sell Kymco and Genuine, so next time I make a purchase I'm gonna have to take a trip to the closest dealership thats not Solano Cycle. I Used to be a mechanic for Solano and was shocked at the what the sales staff would tell customers to buy a scooter. They sell chinese 50cc's to people without informing them of break in periods or what to expect from the bike or the reason why the JCL/TaoTao/Peace or whatever throw away brand they have in stock is $799 when the next cheapest 50cc is $1999, so when bikes come back with 400 hard miles on them and have low compression from the customer riding wide open for every mile right out of the box the customers are angry when they are told that a new top end is going to be over $250.

Its just sad that the US government allows such poor quality merchandise to enter our market. Such crappy chinese products take away from companies that are out to offer a quality product at a competitive price. I know what youre thinking theres a saying that goes "you get what you pay for" but when youre told you're going to get a comparable product at such a price break its bait and switch.
MHR 72cc cylinder
NCY Intake
21mm Stage 6/Dellorto Carburator
POS Prima Pipe
2000 RPM springs
Lovelandstella

Post by Lovelandstella »

Roughhouse_Rider. wrote:
Loveland Stella wrote:"if people are falling for "Vespa titles attached to Chinese bikes" they are only one step away from buying a Vespa ATV, and then only two steps away from a Vespa minivan, then comes.....
Oh but Piaggio did make a few automobiles. Google Vespa 400. (I want one soooo bad)
Not trying to be an ass but just throwing that out there....
I don't think you are being an ass- You're right! I new someone was going to bring that up. I am familiar with it and that's why I felt safe to make the joke of a Vespa Minian- since the 400 is (I thought to be universally agreed to be) NOT be a minivan - unless the word "mini" were taken to the extreme. :lol:
maybe I should have said "Vespa Hummer" for a bigger laugh?
~Lovelandstella
xTomBx

Post by xTomBx »

OH! that horncast, do want!!!!
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

I tell people I have a GS: Genuine Stella!
OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA