front disc brake

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mlee10018

front disc brake

Post by mlee10018 »

When I brought my buddy home I realized that when I roll the bike, the front disk brake is slightly catching the disk and making a little sound. I think that it has gotten a little less now. Do you guys think that I need to bring it back to the dealer to have it check out?
Lee
gmon

Post by gmon »

I think that is normal. I work on alot of different types of disc brake applications and they all rub a little because of the way they release. Just make sure they are not dragging . Put the bike on the center stand and roll the front wheel.
just admit it , its fun
mlee10018

Post by mlee10018 »

I have tried that and it rolls, but it slows down with that same scraping sound from the disk.
Lee
gmon

Post by gmon »

Does it seem to roll freely or quite a bit of friction. Do the wheel of fortune on it and if you get 3 or more rolls , go with it. Or use it as an excuse to go for a ride to the scooter shop if you still are not comfortable. Better safe than sorry.
just admit it , its fun
mlee10018

Post by mlee10018 »

thanks, I will do that sometime this weekend.
Lee
rajron

Post by rajron »

I think all disc brakes scrape, the only reason drums don't are becasue they have springs to push the shoes back.
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

If the pads weren't snug, they would rattle and drive you crazy.
Lunatic speaking from experience!
Motorsport Scooters
Dealer

Post by Motorsport Scooters »

Pretty much all disc brakes have a small amount of drag.
Max
Vespa Motorsport
619-280-1718
http://www.scooterwest.com/
#1 source for all things Vespa
mlee10018

Post by mlee10018 »

I just checked again and mine will not even make a full turn. I am thinking that I should take it back to my dealer to have it adjusted, unless someone can give me some instructions to do it myself...
Thanks for all the response.
Lee
Motorsport Scooters
Dealer

Post by Motorsport Scooters »

If it's not even making a full turn, it sounds like you should take it back to them. That could certainly hamper your top speed, and we can't have that. :wink: Disk Brakes on scooters generally are not adjustable, but it's possible that something is not lubricated properly. If I were to fix it, I would take the caliper apart and find out why it's not returning. I would assume a lack of lubrication at a specific point, or possibly something hanging up.
Max
Vespa Motorsport
619-280-1718
http://www.scooterwest.com/
#1 source for all things Vespa
Beamie

Post by Beamie »

mlee10018 wrote:I just checked again and mine will not even make a full turn. I am thinking that I should take it back to my dealer to have it adjusted, unless someone can give me some instructions to do it myself...
Thanks for all the response.
No disk brakes are adjustible and they always drag.

I don't think it's unusual to have so much drag that the wheel won't spin; expecially not a half turn.

If you have a car with disks, jack up a corner, pull off a wheel and see how difficult it is to turn the rotor.